Thread: "Blessed are the soft targets" - Christian group opposed to self defense

Exclamation "Blessed are the soft targets" - Christian group opposed to self defense

From a website that dedicates itself to melting down firearms into garden tools.

http://rawtools.org/

So, what's the story?

Supposed to turn the other cheek to tyranny and death?

Go quietly into the gas chamber?

Some suggest the very act of eating a healthy diet is un-Christlike.

Blessed Are the Soft Targets

http://rawtools.org/blessed-are-the-soft-targets/

November 6, 2017

We make guns into garden tools by taking their barrels and steel parts and introducing them to a forge that burns at about 2000 degrees. Its in this heat range that steel glows at a bright orange, just right for shaping it and not too hot that it begins to spark and burn away. The steal now is malleable, vulnerable to 30-90 seconds on the anvil as its transformed into something new.

Its not so much that we find ourselves in an era of gun violence as it is being in a place of gun violence. There are far and away more guns per capita in the US compared to other countries. Beyond that, a gun can be acquired virtually anywhere. Anyone in a moment of passion/emotion can follow through with nary an obstacle.

The national gun narrative has had little time to rest between Las Vegas and Sutherland Springs. So here we are, stuck between the stagnant dialogue of all or nothing in the gun debate. Left in the middle are victims and survivors of gun violence. Thoughts and prayers are falling on ears that don’t have time for them unless you are present with the victims and survivors. We must act in the places we occupy to address the unending gun violence. Are you on a city council or county board of commissioners? Act. Work in a trade? Act. have a family? Act. Are you a pastor or faith leader? Act. Dialogue. Tell stories about why you believe what you do.

Faith communities are once again considering arming ushers and greeters to be security guards in the wake of Sutherland Sprigns, TX. The Gun Free Zone debate is raging. There is no question that life is valued. The question is how do you show that your neighbor’s life is valuable? Do you protect it by arming yourself? This is the argument against gun free zones. Fight bullets with bullets. Don’t let them in the front door.

From a Jesus lens, this doesn’t work. For those who say otherwise the onus is on you to prove it. I’ll give you some context to work from. Jesus levels the field by telling us to love our neighbors as ourselves (Matt 22:39), to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us (Matt 5:44-49), and asks us to consider who is our mother (Matt 12:48)? Our brother? Jesus asks us to love our enemies as our brothers and friends who love us. Jesus asks us to consider our enemy to BE our family. Or, there is no end to who can be our neighbor or family, even our enemy, because we never know when that enemy is our brother or neighbor.

These teachings require us to be vulnerable. To soften our edges. We have more in common with the metal being turned into plowshares than we know. Jesus is asking us to be consumed by a refining fire. Iron sharpens iron. When we refuse the fire our hearts harden like Pharaoh. It becomes harder and harder for us to change. It takes a life altering event, like losing your first born son, to consider a change of heart.

It seems this is the path we as a nation refuse to stray from. Little action happens until action happens to us. When Jesus teaches us that our neighbors and sisters and enemies are all worthy of our love, none more than the other, it also means we are someone else’s neighbor or enemy or mother. It means we are just as likely to lose a loved as we are to be the one who takes life. This is often lost on us. We don’t want to see ourselves as the shooter. We must be honest and recognize the triggers in our hearts.

Faith communities, especially ones that follow Jesus, have a powerful opportunity to show an alternative to gun violence. We should be proud of gun free zones. So be it if you call me a soft target. This is what Jesus calls us to be. It doesn’t mean we are soft and passive, it means we are willing to absorb each other’s pain - neighbor and enemy. Jesus shows us this from the cross. Jesus says it on the sermon on the mount. Jesus might even say, “Blessed are the soft targets, for they will find refuge in the kingdom of God.” The church needs to glow bright orange. Prayer is good and holy, but it needs to compel transformative action. For only then do we begin to see the Holy Spirit at work in our midst, between our soft edges, plowing furrows in the field, anxiously awaiting the seeds to grow the kingdom – on earth as it is in heaven. After all, Jesus sought out the soft targets, not to protect them with a sword, but to show them a different way to live.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I will do that when I see lions become vegans a lie down with the lambs.

Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

So, what's the story?

That is the idea.
    And there is a special reward for those able to do so.

I have never been passive. Though I can respect those that are. and am beginning to understand that choice.

He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.
    "If anyone is destined for captivity, into captivity he will go; If anyone is to die by the sword, by the sword he must be killed." Here is a call for the perseverance and faith of the saints.
    If anyone is to be taken captive, to captivity he goes; if anyone is to be slain with the sword, with the sword must he be slain. Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.
    "Whoever sheds man's blood, By man his blood shall be shed, For in the image of God He made man.
    I would only suggest an awareness of consequences.

Last edited by pcosmar; 12-18-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

So many fail to understand, the commandment, "You shall not murder."

In some interpretations, it was mistranslated as "You shall not kill."

It's okay to kill, as long as it's in defense.

Turning the other cheek is more along the lines, of not retaliating. It has nothing to do with defense.

The extreme statements in the sermon on the mount were not meant to apply to every situation, they apply to some situations and they tell us what direction we should lean towards but they must be balanced with other commands like "he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.”
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined, nor determined to commit crimes."

- Thomas Jefferson
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

They are jumping the gun, so to speak. Yes, that time comes, but it is not yet. Swords into plowshares is a thing, as RJB says, when lions lay down with lambs. Until then, "sell your cloak and buy a sword." The Bible is not a buffet where you get to pick and choose.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    So many fail to understand, the commandment, "You shall not murder."

In some interpretations, it was mistranslated as "You shall not kill."

It's okay to kill, as long as it's in defense.

Turning the other cheek is more along the lines, of not retaliating. It has nothing to do with defense.
    It was translated wrong you are right. In the Greek the word is Phonos. Lying in wait, to slaughter/murder.

Reference:
    http://biblehub.com/greek/5408.htm
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Blessed are the Peacemakers:

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Luke 11:21 -
    When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Luke 22:36 -
    Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take [it], and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

1 Timothy 5:8 -
    But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Psalms 144:1 -
    ([A Psalm] of David.) Blessed [be] the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, [and] my fingers to fight:

Numbers 31:3 -
    And Moses spake unto the people, saying, Arm some of yourselves unto the war, and let them go against the Midianites, and avenge the LORD of Midian.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Luke 11:21 -
    When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Luke 22:36 -
    Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take [it], and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

1 Timothy 5:8 -
    But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Psalms 144:1 -
    ([A Psalm] of David.) Blessed [be] the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, [and] my fingers to fight:

Numbers 31:3 -
    And Moses spake unto the people, saying, Arm some of yourselves unto the war, and let them go against the Midianites, and avenge the LORD of Midian.
    You must spread some reputation around before giving it to donnay again.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Balance

as in all things.

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:

a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,

a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,

a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,

a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,

a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,

a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,

a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    It was translated wrong you are right. In the Greek the word is Phonos. Lying in wait, to slaughter/murder.

Reference:
    http://biblehub.com/greek/5408.htm
    what if the greek is translated wrong?
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    I believe the Hebrew word also meant "murder" rather than "kill".

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Balance

as in all things.

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:

a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,

a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,

a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,

a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,

a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,

a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,

a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.
    Ecclesiastes
    Chapter 3

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I believe the Hebrew word also meant "murder" rather than "kill".
    what if its the wrong Hebrew word?

what if the Hebrew word today means something different than it did 5000 years ago?
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

what if its the wrong Hebrew word?

what if the Hebrew word today means something different than it did 5000 years ago?
    That depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Then that would be a Greek tragedy.

Luke 11:21 — "When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."
    Luke 22:36 — "Then said He unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The next line from Luke 11:

22 But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils.
    More from Luke 22:

47 While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, 48 but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”

49 When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.

51 But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-10-2018 at 06:52 PM.

The next line from Luke 11:
    Which is a good reason to be as well armed as possible so there are few stronger than you.

More from Luke 22:
    It wasn't time to fight since Christ was submitting to his enemies so that the Crucifixion and Resurrection could take place.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Which is a good reason to be as well armed as possible so there are few stronger than you.

It wasn't time to fight since Christ was submitting to his enemies so that the Crucifixion and Resurrection could take place.
    That was moments after he asked them to get some swords. When he asked how many they had gotten, they said two. He said that was enough.

That was moments after he asked them to get some swords.
    He was giving long term instructions

When he asked how many they had gotten, they said two. He said that was enough.
    For the moment since he didn't want them to use them just then.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He was giving long term instructions

For the moment since he didn't want them to use them just then.
    When did they use them after that?

When did they use them after that?
    They carried them with them just like the purse and scrip they were instructed to have, two of them already were doing so.
    With luck and DIVINE providence they may never have had to actually wield them in self defense, perhaps they used them hundreds of times, we don't have a day by day record of their lives.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    From a website that dedicates itself to melting down firearms into garden tools.

http://rawtools.org/

So, what's the story?

Some suggest the very act of eating a healthy diet is un-Christlike.

Blessed Are the Soft Targets

http://rawtools.org/blessed-are-the-soft-targets/

November 6, 2017

We make guns into garden tools by taking their barrels and steel parts and introducing them to a forge that burns at about 2000 degrees. Its in this heat range that steel glows at a bright orange, just right for shaping it and not too hot that it begins to spark and burn away. The steal now is malleable, vulnerable to 30-90 seconds on the anvil as its transformed into something new.

Its not so much that we find ourselves in an era of gun violence as it is being in a place of gun violence. There are far and away more guns per capita in the US compared to other countries. Beyond that, a gun can be acquired virtually anywhere. Anyone in a moment of passion/emotion can follow through with nary an obstacle.

The national gun narrative has had little time to rest between Las Vegas and Sutherland Springs. So here we are, stuck between the stagnant dialogue of all or nothing in the gun debate. Left in the middle are victims and survivors of gun violence. Thoughts and prayers are falling on ears that don’t have time for them unless you are present with the victims and survivors. We must act in the places we occupy to address the unending gun violence. Are you on a city council or county board of commissioners? Act. Work in a trade? Act. have a family? Act. Are you a pastor or faith leader? Act. Dialogue. Tell stories about why you believe what you do.

Faith communities are once again considering arming ushers and greeters to be security guards in the wake of Sutherland Sprigns, TX. The Gun Free Zone debate is raging. There is no question that life is valued. The question is how do you show that your neighbor’s life is valuable? Do you protect it by arming yourself? This is the argument against gun free zones. Fight bullets with bullets. Don’t let them in the front door.

From a Jesus lens, this doesn’t work. For those who say otherwise the onus is on you to prove it. I’ll give you some context to work from. Jesus levels the field by telling us to love our neighbors as ourselves (Matt 22:39), to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us (Matt 5:44-49), and asks us to consider who is our mother (Matt 12:48)? Our brother? Jesus asks us to love our enemies as our brothers and friends who love us. Jesus asks us to consider our enemy to BE our family. Or, there is no end to who can be our neighbor or family, even our enemy, because we never know when that enemy is our brother or neighbor.

These teachings require us to be vulnerable. To soften our edges. We have more in common with the metal being turned into plowshares than we know. Jesus is asking us to be consumed by a refining fire. Iron sharpens iron. When we refuse the fire our hearts harden like Pharaoh. It becomes harder and harder for us to change. It takes a life altering event, like losing your first born son, to consider a change of heart.

It seems this is the path we as a nation refuse to stray from. Little action happens until action happens to us. When Jesus teaches us that our neighbors and sisters and enemies are all worthy of our love, none more than the other, it also means we are someone else’s neighbor or enemy or mother. It means we are just as likely to lose a loved as we are to be the one who takes life. This is often lost on us. We don’t want to see ourselves as the shooter. We must be honest and recognize the triggers in our hearts.

Faith communities, especially ones that follow Jesus, have a powerful opportunity to show an alternative to gun violence. We should be proud of gun free zones. So be it if you call me a soft target. This is what Jesus calls us to be. It doesn’t mean we are soft and passive, it means we are willing to absorb each other’s pain - neighbor and enemy. Jesus shows us this from the cross. Jesus says it on the sermon on the mount. Jesus might even say, “Blessed are the soft targets, for they will find refuge in the kingdom of God.” The church needs to glow bright orange. Prayer is good and holy, but it needs to compel transformative action. For only then do we begin to see the Holy Spirit at work in our midst, between our soft edges, plowing furrows in the field, anxiously awaiting the seeds to grow the kingdom – on earth as it is in heaven. After all, Jesus sought out the soft targets, not to protect them with a sword, but to show them a different way to live.
    Luke 22:36

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Any questions?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Ecclesiastes
    Chapter 3

The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.

This is another preacher.

It was a time of the preacher
    When the story began
    Of the choice of a lady
    And the love of a man
    How he loved her so dearly
    He went out of his mind
    When she left him for someone
    That she'd left behind
    And he cried like a baby
    And he screamed like a panther
    In the middle of the night
    And he saddled his pony
    And he went for a ride
    It was a time of the preacher
    In the year of O-one
    Now the preachin' is over
    And the lesson's begun
    Time of preachin' is getting short. Lesson incoming.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom