Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How the North Dakota GOP is freezing out Trump

How the North Dakota GOP is freezing out Trump

North Dakota will select its delegates to the Republican National Convention this weekend, but the party won’t be asking any actual voters to help do it. Instead, state party officials are relying on the ultimate insider process, one that tilts the playing field toward a party-backed candidate like Ted Cruz — and puts Donald Trump at a deep disadvantage.

An estimated 2,000 party officials and activists convene at the state party's convention in Fargo this weekend to pick 25 delegates to send to the convention in July. But unlike other delegates, North Dakota’s will be free to vote for whichever candidate they like, even on the all-important first-ballot where Trump could clinch the nomination with 1,237 votes, or fall short and find himself at the mercy of a contested convention process.

The state convention is the closest thing to a GOP nominating contest that North Dakota will hold, and with the process condensed to a single weekend, all three remaining campaigns are scrambling to lock up a slate of delegates that they can count on for support in July. Cruz will deliver the keynote address Saturday, Ben Carson will give a speech on Trump’s behalf Sunday, and John Kasich is sending former New Hampshire Sen. Gordon Humphrey.

But any candidate trying to get newcomers onto the delegate slate will run up against a process that is controlled by state party officials at almost every turn.

“We basically honor our party elders,” said Curly Haugland, the RNC committeeman from North Dakota and a national delegate who says he’ll go to Cleveland uncommitted. “The likelihood of a newbie getting in is slim.”

The process adds North Dakota to a list of states where Trump is struggling to find reliable delegates for the July convention. Nationwide, Cruz and other anti-Trump forces have been working to separate the GOP front-runner from his delegates, hoping they can persuade delegates — even those who voters sent to Cleveland to vote for Trump on the first ballot — to turn against him in subsequent rounds of voting. But this weekend, the stakes are higher, as first-ballot votes are on the line.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...ota-gop-221480
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well there goes ~3 delegates.

I'm seeing a massive Cruz presence, almost every establishment person is wearing his sticker. No sign of Trump or Kasich support, and I've been here an hour.

Will Carson have any impact when he comes there tomorrow shilling for Trump?
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Watching the RNC establishment pull the same type of shenanigans on Trump that they pulled on Ron Paul says a lot.

They're actually pulling the same delegate strategy done by Ron 2012 and the grassroots. Entire delegations of Trump delegates in at least 3 states now are stealth Cruz or Rubio.

I remember in 2012 it was tough to get delegates in ND because of their system, but there were a few Paul delegates who got in.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    They're actually pulling the same delegate strategy done by Ron 2012 and the grassroots. Entire delegations of Trump delegates in at least 3 states now are stealth Cruz or Rubio.
    That doesn't sound like what's happening in North Dakota - according to the article you posted.

I have read that is taking place elsewhere, however - so we'll see. I think they will be making a yuge mistake though, if Trump wins 1237 yet they broker the convention. If his rallies are any indication, it could get ugly.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    That doesn't sound like what's happening in North Dakota - according to the article you posted.

I have read that is taking place elsewhere, however - so we'll see. I think they will be making a yuge mistake though, if Trump wins 1237 yet they broker the convention. If his rallies are any indication, it could get ugly.
    Yes, he threatened riots if they don't just give him the nomination.

Yes, he threatened riots if they don't just give him the nomination.
    of course he did.

18/25

cruz got 20 of his people in and trump may have gotten zero. LoLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOO.

Cruz is bitch slapping Trump like the red headed step child he is all over the place in the ground game. Louisiana, Colorado, Tennessee. I hope Soouth Carolina unbinds its delegates on the first round since they are all Cruz people too.. Ahahahahahahahaha. Trump may have something like 1100 delegates going into the convention and 1000 of them will vote for Cruz in ROUND 2......Time to drop out Trumpy

[IMG]
    Patrick Ruffini
    ‏@PatrickRuffini

My informal breakdown:

20 Cruz/NeverTrump
    2 Gov/First Lady
    2 Unknown
    1 Trump/Kasich/highest bidder

#NDGOP16

Retweets
    stumblingstudio
    RINOjerseygirl
    ChelseaCat
    Bill Denbrough
    Julien Armstrong
    mikem4815
    Joel Myers
    Keith Rabois
    David Podemski

2:56 PM - 3 Apr 2016
    [/IMG]
    Last edited by goldwater's ghost; 04-03-2016 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldwater's ghost View Post
    cruz got 20 of his people in and trump may have gotten zero. LoLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOO.

Cruz is bitch slapping Trump like the red headed step child he is all over the place in the ground game. Louisiana, Colorado, Tennessee. I hope Soouth Carolina unbinds its delegates on the first round since they are all Cruz people too.. Ahahahahahahahaha. Trump may have something like 1100 delegates going into the convention and 1000 of them will vote for Cruz in ROUND 2......Time to drop out Trumpy
    None of them would vote for Cruz. He is the least favorite among the establishment after Trump - and not because he isn't a sell out - see what his wife Heidi has done, but because they don't like pulling the religious string when they can help it.

You can immediately expect the mormon vote to defect in block. And Kasich is there for a reason - so it goes to the next rounds and other candidates we don't even know.

No, a brokered convention the establishment runs is not a desirable outcome for any libertarian. It would be if it were for Ron Paul, but it isn't. I'm amazed to see anyone support it on the forums, almost as much as I am for support for a communist - Sanders.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOf1776_J4 View Post
    No, a brokered convention the establishment runs is not a desirable outcome for any libertarian. It would be if it were for Ron Paul, but it isn't. I'm amazed to see anyone support it on the forums, almost as much as I am for support for a communist - Sanders.
    Unfortunately, the alternative to a brokered convention is nominating a communist - Trump.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Donald Trump should be the Ron Paul movement's revenge against the GOP, but instead we have a bunch of nutless-wonder stokholm-babies cheerleading on the side of the GOP establishment...
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

This is the part where CPUd either says nothing (like a coward) or posts the most irrelevant image that he can find (also like a coward).
    Last edited by Petar; 04-04-2016 at 11:22 AM.

If you had any balls, then you would actually address the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by goldwater's ghost View Post

[IMG]
    Patrick Ruffini
    ‏@PatrickRuffini

My informal breakdown:

20 Cruz/NeverTrump
    2 Gov/First Lady
    2 Unknown
    1 Trump/Kasich/highest bidder

#NDGOP16

Retweets
    stumblingstudio
    RINOjerseygirl
    ChelseaCat
    Bill Denbrough
    Julien Armstrong
    mikem4815
    Joel Myers
    Keith Rabois
    David Podemski

2:56 PM - 3 Apr 2016
    [/IMG]
    Glad Trump got Zero, but who's laughing about Cruz? I'm not. Nothing funny about where Cruz stands when it comes to the Constitution. Anyone on this forum supporting Cruz for any reason is spitting on the Constitution.

The Fourth Amendment

In May of 2015, Rand Paul led the fight to block renewal of the Patriot Act, which among other things violated the Fourth Amendment by allowing the NSA to collect metadata in bulk. The re-authorization of the Patriot Act was presented in the form of the USA Freedom Act (which Cruz supported), which while an improvementdid not sufficiently protect the Fourth Amendment. On this issue, Paul stood resolute while Cruz continued the status-quo in the name of compromise.

The Tenth Amendment

Rand Paul has been consistent in his belief that, in accordance with the enumerated powers and the Tenth Amendment, states are allowed to formulate their own drug policies. Ted Cruz, on the other hand, has been wishy-washy. He currently supports state authority on the marijuana issue, butpreviously blasted*President Obama for not enforcing federal drug laws. Mark this down as a flip-flop for Cruz.

The Second Amendment

Rand Paul has always been a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. For the most part, Ted Cruz has been as well. However, Cruz did demonstrate some weakness on the issue when he*proposedstrengthening*the federal background check system, which is unconstitutional.

The Fourteenth*Amendment

If one is to read the Constitution according to original intent, which is the honest method, then the purpose and meaning of the authors must be considered the final word. As Rand Paul mentioned during the presidential debate, the authors of the birthright citizenship never intended for it to apply to illegal aliens.*He is correct. However, Ted Cruz has adopted a revisionist reading that was likely taught to him in law school.*According to Cruz, birthright citizenship applies to illegal aliens, despite the intentions of the authors.

Treaty*Clause

Article 2, Section 2 of the Constitution contains the Treaty Clause. It makes clear that 2/3 of Senators must agree to treaties to secure passage. On the issue of Trade Promotion Authority, or TPA, Rand Paul was opposed on the grounds that it ceded Congressional power to the President. On the other hand, Cruz*strongly campaignedfor TPA both in theory and in practice (he only voted against the final bill due to amendments that were added). TPA flagrantly violates the Treaty Clause, as it removes the 2/3 majority requirement and instead requires only a simple majority for passage. Supporters of TPA would argue that it doesn’t facilitate treaties but international agreements. Such arguments are dishonest at best. Any agreements with foreign countries*must be considered treaties.

Treason Clause

As Rand Paul has pointed out, we should try people for treason, as it is one of the four federal crimes spelled out in the Constitution. The Treaty Clause says that “No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.” But Ted Cruz has introduced a bill that would strip the citizenship of U.S. citizens who join ISIS. On the surface that sounds reasonable, however the question at hand is procedure. When in doubt, following the Constitution is the best option, and it already spells out how to deal with those who join the enemy.
    http://theconservatarianreview.com/6...than-ted-cruz/

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    Donald Trump should be the Ron Paul movement's revenge against the GOP, but instead we have a bunch of nutless-wonder stokholm-babies cheerleading on the side of the GOP establishment...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOf1776_J4 View Post
    None of them would vote for Cruz. He is the least favorite among the establishment after Trump - and not because he isn't a sell out - see what his wife Heidi has done, but because they don't like pulling the religious string when they can help it.

You can immediately expect the mormon vote to defect in block. And Kasich is there for a reason - so it goes to the next rounds and other candidates we don't even know.

There is nothing more dangerous than a fool in a position of leadership. In the world of politics trump borders on being retarded. No one knows hos position because he doesn't really have any. We cant let this idiot take over the revolution. The revolution will be instantly discredited. Better to have a sellout like Cruz who still maintains some core beliefs

Quote Originally Posted by RDM View Post
    Glad Trump got Zero, but who's laughing about Cruz? I'm not. Nothing funny about where Cruz stands when it comes to the Constitution. Anyone on this forum supporting Cruz for any reason is spitting on the Constitution.

The Fourth Amendment

In May of 2015, Rand Paul led the fight to block renewal of the Patriot Act, which among other things violated the Fourth Amendment by allowing the NSA to collect metadata in bulk. The re-authorization of the Patriot Act was presented in the form of the USA Freedom Act (which Cruz supported), which while an improvementdid not sufficiently protect the Fourth Amendment. On this issue, Paul stood resolute while Cruz continued the status-quo in the name of compromise.

The Tenth Amendment

Rand Paul has been consistent in his belief that, in accordance with the enumerated powers and the Tenth Amendment, states are allowed to formulate their own drug policies. Ted Cruz, on the other hand, has been wishy-washy. He currently supports state authority on the marijuana issue, butpreviously blasted*President Obama for not enforcing federal drug laws. Mark this down as a flip-flop for Cruz.

The Second Amendment

Rand Paul has always been a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. For the most part, Ted Cruz has been as well. However, Cruz did demonstrate some weakness on the issue when he*proposedstrengthening*the federal background check system, which is unconstitutional.

The Fourteenth*Amendment

If one is to read the Constitution according to original intent, which is the honest method, then the purpose and meaning of the authors must be considered the final word. As Rand Paul mentioned during the presidential debate, the authors of the birthright citizenship never intended for it to apply to illegal aliens.*He is correct. However, Ted Cruz has adopted a revisionist reading that was likely taught to him in law school.*According to Cruz, birthright citizenship applies to illegal aliens, despite the intentions of the authors.

Treaty*Clause

Article 2, Section 2 of the Constitution contains the Treaty Clause. It makes clear that 2/3 of Senators must agree to treaties to secure passage. On the issue of Trade Promotion Authority, or TPA, Rand Paul was opposed on the grounds that it ceded Congressional power to the President. On the other hand, Cruz*strongly campaignedfor TPA both in theory and in practice (he only voted against the final bill due to amendments that were added). TPA flagrantly violates the Treaty Clause, as it removes the 2/3 majority requirement and instead requires only a simple majority for passage. Supporters of TPA would argue that it doesn’t facilitate treaties but international agreements. Such arguments are dishonest at best. Any agreements with foreign countries*must be considered treaties.

Treason Clause

As Rand Paul has pointed out, we should try people for treason, as it is one of the four federal crimes spelled out in the Constitution. The Treaty Clause says that “No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.” But Ted Cruz has introduced a bill that would strip the citizenship of U.S. citizens who join ISIS. On the surface that sounds reasonable, however the question at hand is procedure. When in doubt, following the Constitution is the best option, and it already spells out how to deal with those who join the enemy.
    http://theconservatarianreview.com/6...than-ted-cruz/
    Rand was right, Cruz was wrong on all the issues you brought up. Cruz is a weasel no doubt but he's far better than trump. Plus rand, Massie and Amash and lee can all work with him and find some common ground. We have no common ground with kasich

That's what you think Ron Paul is?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    That's what you think Ron Paul is?
    The "Ron Paul movement" is all the people that Ron Paul recently energized for freedom.

Ron himself may not see the value in what Donald Trump is accomplishing, but it's pretty obvious, and people should learn to think for themselves a little more as well.

Ron himself may not see the value in what Donald Trump is accomplishing, but it's pretty obvious, and people should learn to think for themselves a little more as well.
    I think he knows exactly what Trump is accomplishing, and it's you who don't.

But let's say you're right about him. Does that really make him a nutless-wonder stokholm-babies cheerleading on the side of the GOP establishment?

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I think he knows exactly what Trump is accomplishing, and it's you who don't.

But let's say you're right about him. Does that really make him a nutless-wonder stokholm-babies cheerleading on the side of the GOP establishment?
    I would not call him a "nutless-wonder", but I do believe that he is a little... hamstrung by his own principles, in this case.

I would not call him a "nutless-wonder", but I do believe that he is a little... hamstrung by his own principles, in this case.
    You already did call him that.

His principles are the whole point. The reason you like Trump is because you have principles that are totally opposite to Ron Paul's, as well as the man depicted in your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post

Define "mistake". Say Trump runs third party and the Hillary coasts to the election. What is the result? Open borders is codified in law and the US gets tens of millions (and eventually hundreds of millions) of new low wage labor. War with Russia. And finally a President with the "balls" to liquidate those troublesome Christians and Conservatives. From the perspective of the GOPe, that is a pretty sweet "mistake".

At this point I hope Trump runs 3rd party and gives this election to the dems, I hate the republicans that much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic