Thread: Sailors and dirty coffee mugs

Sailors and dirty coffee mugs

When I was a boot Marine, a few of us got in trouble when someone cleaned a Gunny's mug. My wife won't put up with it, but at work I have a cup that I don't wash. It gets scalding coffee or tea, no dairy, sugar or anything else that would rot.

Athletes on a hot streak or headed to the playoffs in a given sport oftentimes opt out of shaving for fear of interrupting a routine that may throw a wrench into success. Such superstitions, however, are not limited to the participants of any particular sport.

Sailors, for example, but more specifically those those who have achieved the rank of chief, have one superstition that extends into the unsanitary. They never clean their coffee mugs.

The first time I learned of this I was 23 and working in an office in Washington. The director, a Navy veteran whose cubicle I shared, had a note stuck to his mug that read, “Don’t wash me.”

When I inquired, he informed me that it was something he picked up as a sailor. He’d done this with his black coffee for so long, in fact, that he’d simply grown to enjoy the taste of the weeks, months, or years old residue.

“It adds a lot of flavor,” he said.

“Gross,” I thought, shrugging it off — until now.

Sailors, as it turns out, have an extensive history of keeping coffee cups as grimy as can be. The explanations for doing so, meanwhile, are all over the map.

Some internet users suggest it’s bad luck, others say the dirtiness of the mug is a sign of seniority, while there are also those who simply believe it’s a matter of taste.

“You clean a mug of one, it’s a death sentence for that person,” wrote one Reddit poster about taking dish soap to a sailor’s treasured coffee chalice.

Chilling.

Another poster told a harrowing tale of a sailor who completely lost his mind at the sight of a clean coffee mug.

“There was a chief that I worked for in the Navy many years ago that had the same thing going on with his coffee cup,” the user wrote.

“We decided one day to scrub it out for him and he completely lost his sh*t when he found his cup the next day. I mean complete brain aneurism. He threatened to write every one of us up for it. A couple days later someone filled his cup with this resin-type stuff that hardens (we used it for plastic plaques) and looks like coffee with creamer once cured. He threw it across the shop and shattered. I thought he was going to kill someone that day. No one ever fessed up to that deed.”

Many accounts went on to suggest that, use after use, a chief will just pour new coffee atop the old, never concerned about mold, curdled milk or the temperature of their mud.

I guess sailors like their coffee like they like their hearts: Cold, black and crusty.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...kc7rLeAl8nn6S8

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'll rinse my beer steins with water but soap has never touched them. Don't drink coffee.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

I guess sailors like their coffee like they like their hearts: Cold, black and crusty.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Ewe that's just disgusting. I wonder if they ever suffer from trench mouth?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

i just rinse mine with hot water but i only drink it black. When i was a platoon Sgt the only thing on my desk was a coffee pot , cup and ash tray i never washed the pot or cup , just rinse with scalding water but i did wash my ash tray . nobody was allowed to touch my orange , yard sale , fire king coffee cup or my ash tray.
    Do something Danke

Dish soap tastes most awful that is why nobody wants a coffee cup or beer mug washed with it.
    Do something Danke

I would never drink out of any mug or cup that is dirty.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    i never drank out of my canteens . I always kept fresh water in them and they were clean but i never drank out of them . I had a canteen cup though i used that i never washed but it never had anything in it but boiling instant coffee. Canteens make noise unless they are full and you cant waste water drinking it or brushing your teeth when might need it for something more important like washing wounds so you can assess the damage. i had another canteen cup i never used for show and then the black one i used. You should check out a heat tab AG , lol what a way to heat some water.
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Coffee stains won't kill you. They will put hair on your chest and make you more popular with the ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Dish soap tastes most awful that is why nobody wants a coffee cup or beer mug washed with it.
    That's why you clean with hot soapy water and rinse with cold water until squeaky clean.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Such superstitions, however, are not limited to the participants of any particular sport.

Hey, it's not superstition. Those sailors is not using plastic or styrofoam cups. They're saving water by not washing. They're just good environmentalists.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Define "dirty".

Last edited by pcosmar; 06-08-2021 at 04:24 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom