Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sentinelese tribe: Rare footage captures one of world's last uncontacted indigenous people

Sentinelese tribe: Rare footage captures one of world's last uncontacted indigenous people

Why not just leave these people alone?

Rare footage of one of the world’s last uncontacted tribes has emerged, showing its members on the beaches of North Sentinel island in the Bay of Bengal.

The footage is part of a documentary by LoveBite Productions on the Sentinelese tribe. The narrator states that the people and their ancestors are thought to have inhabited the island for nearly 60,000 years.

“Working on this project, reading about them, watching all these videos, brought tears to my eyes,” the narrator says.

The Sentinelese are known to throw arrows at low flying aircraft such as helicopters and reject all attempts at communication. After the 2004 Tsunami, a photo was captured of one of the tribesmen taking aim at an emergency helicopter with an arrow. It was taken as proof the tribe had survived the disaster.

Little is known about the tribe which could reportedly have as little as 50 and as many as 500 members. The Sentinelese tribe and the tribes on the more remote parts of the Andaman and Nicobar islands are hunter-gatherer people who are semi-nomadic and who have rejected attempts for them to be integrated into other societies, according to Survival International

A number of attempts were made to make contact with the islanders in the 1970s and 1990, almost all of which were met with hostility and arrows being fired.

In 2006 two fishermen, aged 48 and 52, were killed after they slept overnight in their boat near the North Sentinel island and approached its shore. It is illegal to go within five kilometres of the island.

Recently Survival International campaigned with local authorities to stop attempts to communicate with the tribe and the Indian government now states that no further attempts at contact will be made.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...=facebook-post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thats how it is done . Any civilized commies get close , fill 'em full of arrows before they send the govt to help .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Thats how it is done . Any civilized commies get close , fill 'em full of arrows before they send the govt to help .
    But, but they obviously don't know how much they miss freedom......

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    They do not enjoy the freedom modern societies do. Nor the medical care. They must be helped. Even if it's the death of them.

Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Same reason they won't leave you or I alone. No difference.
    "The Patriarch"

Same reason they won't leave you or I alone. No difference.
    Whadda you want to bet "He needed killin'" is a viable defense on that island?

I have a hunch they are not interested in paying for roads.

Last edited by Dr.3D; 04-03-2017 at 04:40 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Muh roads!
    "The Patriarch"

Or property tax , or fines for not having health ins etc .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Or property tax , or fines for not having health ins etc .
    If someone suggested it, I bet it would be "met with hostility and arrows being fired".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

If someone suggested it, I bet it would be "met with hostility and arrows being fired".
    " Proper response " as my Father called it .
    Do something Danke

Are they cannibals?
    Do they have sex with infants?
    What about human sacrifice? Do they burn their own children to make the coconuts grow?
    Do they practice slavery?

There are tons of reasons not to leave them alone. The way they treat outsiders is indicative of their level of respect for mankind in general.
    It seems pretty low. You don't just sneak up on sleeping fishermen and murder them if you respect humanity.

So there are probably all sorts of unpleasant surprises to find there. Not everything is fundamentally a property rights question. In fact, you can't even discuss property rights until you accept the concept of rights and the equality of the rights of disparate people.
    The Sentinalese clearly don't respect the rights of others. They are a prime example of what statists say the world would be like without the state. So I have little interest in protecting their way of life.

Of course, I don't think a bunch of Indian government researchers who take caste systems, $#@!ting in the streets, and a holy river full of corpses as a given for haute societe, are the guys to introduce these folks to morality, either.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Are they cannibals?
    What about human sacrifice? Do they burn their own children to make the coconuts grow?

There are tons of reasons not to leave them alone. The way they treat outsiders is indicative of their level of respect for mankind in general.
    It seems pretty low. You don't just sneak up on sleeping fishermen and murder them if you respect humanity.

So there are probably all sorts of unpleasant surprises to find there. Not everything is fundamentally a property rights question. In fact, you can't even discuss property rights until you accept the concept of rights and the equality of the rights of disparate people.
    The Sentinalese clearly don't respect the rights of others. They are a prime example of what statists say the world would be like without the state. So I have little interest in protecting their way of life.

Of course, I don't think a bunch of Indian government researchers who take caste systems, $#@!ting in the streets, and a holy river full of corpses as a given for haute societe, are the guys to introduce these folks to morality, either.
    So, who would be?
    "The Patriarch"

So, who would be?
    Bearing in mind that I know there are some bad examples out there, but also bearing in mind there are a whole lot of other good examples nobody knows about, I would go with missionaries.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

THey're not paying taxes.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Finally someone gets it!

Last edited by Lamp; 04-03-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    I actually posted some Vice documentary pertaining to the Jarawas earlier. No one likes having bananas thrown at their kids, to be part of dehumanizing human safaris and to have your ancestral lands occupied and littered on.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    They do not enjoy the freedom modern societies do. Nor the medical care. They must be helped. Even if it's the death of them.
    We had to kill them to help them...

I've heard that before...

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    THey're not paying taxes.
    Oh, $#@!, you're right.

Anarchists!

Round them up!

The way they treat outsiders is indicative of their level of respect for mankind in general
    If I were to look out of my windows and see a bunch of naked Sentinelese creeping around with arrows, you can be pretty sure they would be met with hot lead.

Everything else you said
    You do have a valid point, however.

Just because a society is "primitive" does not make it better, or more free.

That said, I'm still of a mind to just leave them be.

That's part of freedom on my part, even though I bitch about it: leaving people be, even if that means leaving them to be reprobates.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-03-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Are they cannibals?

The Sentinalese clearly don't respect the rights of others. They are a prime example of what statists say the world would be like without the state.
    Well said

The myth of the noble savage dies hard...

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Well said

So you don't believe that people should be left alone to do what they want, even if what they are doing you find repugnant?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    So you don't believe that people should be left alone to do what they want, even if what they are doing you find repugnant?
    People should not be left alone to do what they want if what they're doing is unlibertarian: e.g. murdering one another at an alarming rate.

...as our hunter-gatherer pals have always tended to do.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I do, who's to say what I find repugnant isn't a product of brainwashing throughout my life? Who am I to impose my belief system on others?

People should not be left alone to do what they want if what they're doing is unlibertarian: e.g. murdering one another at an alarming rate.

...as our hunter-gatherer pals have always tended to do.
    Are they murdering one another, or just the ones who come from our culture into their territory?
    "The Patriarch"

I do, who's to say what I find repugnant isn't a product of brainwashing throughout my life? Who am I to impose my belief system on others?
    So if the Imakilya tribe comes to town and, well, wants to killya, you wouldn't have any objections?

...wouldn't want to impose your anti-killing belief system on them?

Well said

Right, because they haven't even discovered how to kill on a massive scale yet. Frikkin barbarians.
    "The Patriarch"

So if the Imakilya tribe comes to town and, well, wants to killya, you wouldn't have any objections?

...wouldn't want to impose your anti-killing belief system on them?
    Are they coming to town? It doesn't seem likely.
    "The Patriarch"

Are they murdering one another, or just the ones who come from our culture into their territory?
    Evidently, no one has any idea what they're doing, beyond killing people who land on the island.

But historical hunter-gatherer societies had extremely high murder rates, so it's reasonable to infer that they do to.

Are they coming to town? It doesn't seem likely.
    Point is, if one is serious about "not imposing one's belief system on others," that means tolerating any kind of behavior.

...murder, rape, theft, anything.

That's certainly not the libertarian position; libertarianism isn't "everybody can do whatever he wants."
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 04-03-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast