Thread: CA - PSEG proposes $2 billion in rate hikes

CA - PSEG proposes $2 billion in rate hikes

My question:

What happens to this rickety ass grid, when you start plugging millions of EVs into it every day?

Tensions run high at PG&E rate hike meetings

https://www.chicoer.com/2019/07/18/t...-hike-meeting/

By ROBIN EPLEY | repley@chicoer.com | Chico Enterprise-Record
    PUBLISHED: July 18, 2019 at 5:57 pm | UPDATED: July 19, 2019 at 4:40 pm
    CHICO — It was standing room only at the Butte County Association of Government Chambers on Thursday, while the California Public Utilities Commission heard public comment on Pacific Gas & Electric Corp.’s request to charge its customers nearly $2 billion more over the next three years.

The utility company says it plans to use the money to help pay for wildfire safety improvements and other costs.

“The 2020 GRC proposal, which is the focus of Thursday’s public participation hearings, does not include costs associated with the 2017 and 2018 wildfires, said PG&E spokeswoman Kristi Jourdan in an email the day before the meeting. “PG&E has the authority to track costs from these fires, including costs associated with repairs, restoration, damages and third-party claims, in memorandum accounts but would have to seek authorization from the (public utilities commission) through a separate application to recover those costs.”

The request for a rate raise must be approved by the commission and would give the utility company $1 billion above current rates in 2020, $454 million more in 2021 and $486 million more for 2022.

For the average customer, Jourdan said, the rate raise would be approximately $10.50 more per month — $8.75 for electricity and $1.84 for gas.

The meetings were held at 1 p.m. and again at 6 p.m., and numerous protestors showed up to make their voices heard against the utilities giant, that Cal Fire found sparked the deadly Camp Fire in November which killed 85 people.

William Bynum, of Oroville, spoke to assembled protesters before the meeting began, telling them that he did not believe the state public utilities commission represented the interests of the public.

“The bottom line is people should not be making profit off electricity or water or whatever people need to exist,” Bynum said.

Chico Councilor Ann Schwab also spoke in front of the protesters, saying that “it was time for PG&E to look for other ways to repair the damage and repair their infrastructure — not on the backs of us, who have been so damaged by their actions.”

Inside the meeting, speakers ranged from stoically outraged to emotional, and many shared stories of their survival during the Camp Fire.

“It can’t not be emotional,” Camp Fire survivor Susan Sullivan told the commission. “How do any of you sleep at night with what you’ve done?” She suggested to them that PG&E needed to be broken up and managed on a local level.

Many were angry at the commissioners themselves for not providing better oversight of conditions that led to the Camp Fire and other fires in the past several years. Several speakers said they would be going with solar energy as soon as they could.

Representatives from PG&E spoke before the public comment section and assured those assembled that the money from the rate raise would go toward wildfire prevention — not executive salaries or wildfire victim compensation.

State Senator Jim Neilsen, R-Tehama, who represents Butte County among others in the state legislature, also attended the meeting, and several speakers said they would not have known about it if not for the work of his office to get the word out.

Thursday’s comments — and the comments from the meetings that have yet to be held in other areas of the state — will be entered into the record and considered as the commission makes a decision. However, Jourdan said the general rate case proposals have never failed at the CPUC hearing, and the proposal submitted is based on information that PG&E alone decides to include.

“You know that what you’re doing is killing people, and that means you’re all serial killers,” Mary Kay Benson told the commissioners Thursday afternoon. “We are not going to just lay down and be collateral damage.”
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    My question:

What happens to this rickety ass grid, when you start plugging millions of EVs into it every day?
    California's answer:

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

“The bottom line is people should not be making profit off electricity or water or whatever people need to exist,” Bynum said.
    If not profit, then what should people be allowed to have in return for supplying William Bynum et al. with "electricity or water or whatever [they] need to exist" ... ?

Hugs and kisses?

And what if those who are expected by William Bynum to produce whatever it is that he needs to exist are not sufficiently motivated by the prospect of his hugs and kisses?

What then?

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    If not profit, then what should people be allowed to have in return for supplying William Bynum et al. with "electricity or water or whatever [they] need to exist" ... ?

Hugs and kisses?

And what if those who are expected by William Bynum to produce whatever it is that he needs to exist are not sufficiently motivated by the prospect of his hugs and kisses?

What then?
    Ponies...I'm pretty sure they are looking for ponies.

I caught that quote as well and thought the same thing.

Nice to see you OB.

Maybe you can stick around...help talk me down a little.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Nice to see you OB.
    Hey, AF. You too!

Maybe you can stick around...help talk me down a little.
    Talk you down? Hell, the way things are going, I might end up jumping with you ...

My question:

The machine stops.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Hugs and kisses?

What then?
    As usual, leftists occasionally identify a problem correctly and then choose an absolutely incorrect "solution", the problem here is a mixture of a government created monopoly, government corruption that has failed to properly punish the failures and cries of the monopolists and government regulations that have caused the monopoly to make stupid decisions.

Profit (other than the corrupt personal profit of corrupt government officials/monopolists) has nothing to do with the problem but it is the standard whipping boy for brainwashed leftists.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Talk you down? Hell, the way things are going, I might end up jumping with you ...
    Welcome back and please do jump.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Welcome back and please do jump.
    What do you think, @Occam's Banana? Is the Trumpsucking totalitarian ambassador of libertarians are stupid and "Ron is wrong" telling you to commit suicide because he doesn't understand plain English? Or does he, in all his Christian love, know exactly what he's saying?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    What do you think, @Occam's Banana? Is the Trumpsucking totalitarian ambassador of libertarians are stupid and "Ron is wrong" telling you to commit suicide because he doesn't understand plain English? Or does he, in all his Christian love, know exactly what he's saying?
    On advice of counsel, I invoke my Fifth Amendment right not to answer, on the grounds that somebody's gonna piss on me no matter what I say ...

Seriously, though, at this point, all I really want to do is heckle and throw popcorn at the stage. I'm not nearly as interested as I once might have been in getting into fisticuffs with the other rowdies up here in the peanut gallery ...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Jumping isn't necessarily suicide, it might just save your life.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

On advice of counsel, I invoke my Fifth Amendment right not to answer, on the grounds that somebody's gonna piss on me no matter what I say ...
    Tulsa is just looking to make trouble (that's all he does), he knows very well I am just inviting you to join AF's point of view.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment