Thread: NY - State assemblywoman proposes mandatory voting legislation

Exclamation NY - State assemblywoman proposes mandatory voting legislation

Don't see what the problem is.

The state can force you to do and buy all sorts of things you don't want.

Why should voting be any different?

Uncle Joe would be proud.

New Yorkers who don’t vote would pay $10 fine under assemblywoman's bill

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.3001499

BY Glenn Blain follow

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, March 17, 2017, 6:11 PM

ALBANY — A state lawmaker from Manhattan wants to make it costly for New Yorkers not to vote.

Assemblywoman Deborah Glick, a Democrat, introduced legislation this week that would establish “compulsory voting” in the state and punish those who don’t vote with a $10 fine.

“Mandatory voting would drastically increase civic participation and transform the political arena by making politicians more reflective of the constituents that elected them,” Glick wrote in a memo submitted with the bill.

Under Glick’s bill, any eligible voter who fails to vote would be hit with the $10 fine unless they have a “valid excuse” why they couldn’t do so. The legislation does not specify what constitutes a valid excuse.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I know...ten bucks...not voting nearly hard enough.

who the what the ?
    Last edited by Dark_Horse_Rider; 03-24-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agitator View Post
    Only $10? -TheTexan
    Representation should be a commodity. "Pay to play" is pretty much rule number one in the playbook and Americans love sports.

Quote Originally Posted by agitator View Post
    Only $10? -TheTexan
    I'm guessing most people wouldn't even bother to pay it.

Which would be great.

Because then we could pile on the late fees, turn that $10 into $2000
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I think its wonderful what this woman is doing. Voting is an honor, and a privilege that every American should enjoy. And be forced to do.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    She has the wrong idea. They should be paying people 10 bucks to vote.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I'm guessing most people wouldn't even bother to pay it.

Which would be great.

Because then we could pile on the late fees, turn that $10 into $2000
    If your not voting your are breaking the law and everything you make is a criminal enterprise. Asset forfeiture. Why exactly aren't you running? Because somewhere you would be a shoe-in.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Why exactly aren't you running?
    I'm pretty good at voting but I don't know if I want to do it professionally. I'm worried that if I turn voting into a job it might take the magic out of it.
    - Kim Kardashian

I new there would be a fine , Fines are the Dem Creed . It is the god they pray to.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    #soros

Ah thank you for posting this, lately I have been forgetting why NY sucks so good.

She is talking the wrong approach on this. States need to pass a bill that requires a quorum of qualified voters as a portion of that states eligible voters (regardless if they are registered or not) for any legislation to pass otherwise it fails--regardless of how many voters voted in its favor. Additionally, there needs to be submission limits on how many times a similar or like bill that has prior failed may be submitted within a specific period of time--bad bills goto heels. Also, there needs to be absolute prohibitions on slipping unrelated bodies of law within other bills--prevent legislative tuck and hides, and Easter egging.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    I think they've already figured out that foodstamps and subsidized housing = votes.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Seeing as how there are 120K+ people per NY assembly district, each assembly vote represents 120K votes for the districts.
    So each vote the assembly women has missed she should bay her constituents $1.2 million.

[for each vote she does make she should probably her her constituents the same]
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Actually, considering it is voting that got them into such a mess, perhaps there should be a fine for each vote cast. Makes far more sense than Glick's proposal.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    “Mandatory voting would drastically increase civic participation and transform the political arena by making politicians more reflective of the constituents that elected them,”
    HUH?
    What if the guy I voted for wasn't elected?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus