Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FreeStaters Put the Brakes on Proposed Seat Belt Law

Cool FreeStaters Put the Brakes on Proposed Seat Belt Law

As of 12:01 this morning, the bill to make New Hampshire the 50th state to adopt a mandatory seat belt law is dead. Passing this law would've provided the state with about $3 million dollars of federal money in a year the state is hurting for funds. Following the New Hampshire tradition, as they did when defying the feds on Real ID, the legislature refused to give in to a federal bribe.

The federal money expires June 30, 2009 so that temptation will be gone next year. In addition, I expect the legislature to be much more friendly in 2010 (the bill cannot be re-introduced until the next biennium; after the next election). This was the pro-seat belt people's best chance to pass seat belts in a generation and they failed. But it was close. The House passed the bill and the senate voted 13-11 to table the bill. When a bill is tabled, it is put aside without debate, but may be brought up at any time for a vote. Since the bill was tabled (in April?), the possibility of the Senate bringing the bill back for a vote after a bit of arm twisting was still present, though unlikely. But no more.

Senate Rule 48(h) declares "Thursday, June 04, 2009 - Last Day to ACT on all remaining House bills." The time has passed, so the show is over for the statists. Rock on! NH is still the ONLY state that allows adults to choose whether they buckle up.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Fantastic! Great news!

This is great news! Now, if we can get them to reaffirm the 10th amendment that Itse introduced that would be fantastic!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Thanks for the kind words, folks. We'd love to have ya up here... #2 sig line. This is where freedom has a chance and this bill is an example of that, ya know? Join us!

A Win For Driver's Rights

Good job. Now if they can only get themselves out of the marriage issue...
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for the kind words folks. Just so you know, the people that led this fight were fans of Ron Paul. I damn sure know I worked hard for Ron Paul but I admit that I worked even harder to stop this bill. I may have put over 100 hours into fighting this bill, but it was more than worth it!

Live Free or Die!
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 06-08-2009 at 09:58 AM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Thanks for the kind words folks. Just so you know, the people that lead this fight were fans of Ron Paul. I damn sure know I worked hard for Ron Paul but I admit that I worked even harder to stop this bill. I may have put over 100 hours into fighting this bill, but it was more than worth it!

Live Free or Die!
    Keith really is our saving grace. It's activists like him that give us our appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    Not a fan of the gay marriage thing, huh?

Separation of Church and State

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Not a fan of the gay marriage thing, huh?
    Yes, but I'm against the State being involved in marriage in the first place.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Thanks for the kind words folks. Just so you know, the people that lead this fight were fans of Ron Paul. I damn sure know I worked hard for Ron Paul but I admit that I worked even harder to stop this bill. I may have put over 100 hours into fighting this bill, but it was more than worth it!

Live Free or Die!

Good job. I salute you and thank you for your efforts!

this proves that large legislative bodies (the NH house is 400 members) work the best.

and yet so many libertarians want city councils and town boards to be down sized

Yes, but I'm against the State being involved in marriage in the first place.
    I can't argue with that...

As of 12:01 this morning, the bill to make New Hampshire the 50th state to adopt a mandatory seat belt law is dead. Passing this law would've provided the state with about $3 million dollars of federal money in a year the state is hurting for funds. Following the New Hampshire tradition, as they did when defying the feds on Real ID, the legislature refused to give in to a federal bribe.

The federal money expires June 30, 2009 so that temptation will be gone next year. In addition, I expect the legislature to be much more friendly in 2010 (the bill cannot be re-introduced until the next biennium; after the next election). This was the pro-seat belt people's best chance to pass seat belts in a generation and they failed. But it was close. The House passed the bill and the senate voted 13-11 to table the bill. When a bill is tabled, it is put aside without debate, but may be brought up at any time for a vote. Since the bill was tabled (in April?), the possibility of the Senate bringing the bill back for a vote after a bit of arm twisting was still present, though unlikely. But no more.

Senate Rule 48(h) declares "Thursday, June 04, 2009 - Last Day to ACT on all remaining House bills." The time has passed, so the show is over for the statists. Rock on! NH is still the ONLY state that allows adults to choose whether they buckle up.
    Nice job, but realize that this is not a win in shrinking government, just preventing it from getting bigger. And believe me, they will try to implement this law again. It's the nature of politicians.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionSD View Post
    Nice job, but realize that this is not a win in shrinking government, just preventing it from getting bigger. And believe me, they will try to implement this law again. It's the nature of politicians.
    You can't shrink government until you stop its growth. Seat belt laws are a very, very basic (and most think small) infringement on liberty and New Hampshire has been unique in facing down the federal government on this. We are proud to have continued this tradition.

Yes, they'll bring it up again and we'll beat them again. The great thing about New Hampshire is that there are more libertarian activists moving in every year so our movement is getting stronger and stronger.
    "I am a friend of the Free State Project!" -- Rep. Ron Paul

FreeStateProject.org

For on the ground information about the liberty movement in New Hampshire point your browser to www.RidleyReport.com

The Free State Project is really flexing their muscles of late! Dare I say it, their power level seems to be well over 9,000!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    The Free State Project is really flexing their muscles of late! Dare I say it, their power level seems to be well over 9,000!

It's over 9000!!!!!!!!
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by tremendoustie View Post
    It's over 9000!!!!!!!!
    We can always use more. Feel free to join us, love to have ya. No state income or general sales tax, plus gun laws are super lax and no mandatory car insurance.

nice, lets keep going
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

god you are a $#@!ing idiot. Why should a state even have a marriage issue? Cuz bigots like you want the state to back YOUR SIDE and not FREEDOM of individual.

Thank god the marriage license was created because of the racism that was present in America huh? I have no $#@!ing clue why you think freedom applies to some people and not others. Are you just as bad as the skin heads that think blacks should not be able to marry?

We can always use more. Feel free to join us, love to have ya. No state income or general sales tax, plus gun laws are super lax and no mandatory car insurance.

I know it man, I'm from there . Planning to move back in a year or two.
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

The property taxes are pretty steep though aren't they? I'd rather have to pay a sales tax on purchases than pay a large price to have to rent my own home/land from the state.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The property taxes are pretty steep though aren't they? I'd rather have to pay a sales tax on purchases than pay a large price to have to rent my own home/land from the state.
    Yeah, but that's one of the few issues we need to work on. The state house should see a nice house cleaning in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    god you are a $#@!ing idiot. Why should a state even have a marriage issue? Cuz bigots like you want the state to back YOUR SIDE and not FREEDOM of individual.

Thank god the marriage license was created because of the racism that was present in America huh? I have no $#@!ing clue why you think freedom applies to some people and not others. Are you just as bad as the skin heads that think blacks should not be able to marry?
    Bro, I'm pretty sure he thinks that the state shouldn't be involved in marriage, ya know?

My silly state just made not wearing a seat belt a primary offense, meaning they can pull you over and ticket you just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Kovaciny View Post
    My silly state just made not wearing a seat belt a primary offense, meaning they can pull you over and ticket you just for that.
    Time to head to NH

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    NH's overall taxes are the lowest in the lower 48 states (Alaska's are lower because they get lots of federal money). And because we have no sales or income tax, the only tax left is property taxes. By comparison property taxes are high, but, again, overall taxes are low.

The nice thing about property taxes is that they aren't withheld (like sales or income taxes). You're sent a bill at the end of every year and it hurts to pay it. That's one of the reasons NH has such low taxes.
    "I am a friend of the Free State Project!" -- Rep. Ron Paul

FreeStateProject.org

For on the ground information about the liberty movement in New Hampshire point your browser to www.RidleyReport.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Kovaciny View Post
    I fell ya man. That was the case for me when I lived in michigan 2 weeks ago. Now I have more freedom than I know what to do with.

I pay cheaper prices for cigarettes, booze/beer/wine, way less for gas (30 cents cheaper a gallon or more, no cash or credit crap here), I can openly carry at my leisure unimpeded, no state income or general sales tax, no helmet/SB or mandatory car insurance, plus more liberty activists per capita than anywhere else in the world. We also have more liberty media per capita (Free Talk Live, Free Minds TV/Radio <on over 10 stations statewide>, Ridley report, NH Capitol Access <on over 10 stations statewide>, Liberty Conspiracy plus too many other local pro-liberty radio shows to name) plus more movers moving in every week!

When you move here, we have a 'Welcome Wagon' that will arrive wherever you move and help your family move in and we usually have at least 10 people present. The FSP community here is 2nd to none and we look out and help each other like family. If any of this appeals to you or anyone else, join on my #2 sig line. We're friendly as hell and we have so many activist/social opportunities on a weekly basis that you have to pick and choose. Anybody have that problem in their own state?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast