Thread: The surprising truth of open defecation in India

The surprising truth of open defecation in India

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When you gotta go, you gotta go.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Indian food.
    Sometimes, you don't have the time to find a bathroom.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Wait. So what India needs is to add to the population hundreds of thousands of additional humans each year?

Because that would be the result if her stats about infant mortality are correct.

This smells like World Health Organization busy-body bull$#@!.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

India has a lot to be proud of, like....yoga. o_O

Toilets aren't a priority and they call them latrines. There ya go.

I wonder where they keep their Sudookie books?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    India has a lot to be proud of, like....yoga. o_O

Toilets aren't a priority and they call them latrines. There ya go.

I wonder where they keep their Sudookie books?

It's all the plumbing attached to the toilet that's a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    It's all the plumbing attached to the toilet that's a problem...
    Oh, she wasn't talking about plumbing. She was talking about $#@!ting in a hole as opposed to just dropping a steaming pile where ever the mood hits and leaving it.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Oh, she wasn't talking about plumbing. She was talking about $#@!ting in a hole as opposed to just dropping a steaming pile where ever the mood hits and leaving it.
    Still trying to get the video to load?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

im sorry i just dont have 15 minutes to devote to watching some lady talking about $#@!ting in a field

Hope oyarde doesn't see this. They are talking about Indians doing stuff that's not so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Hope oyarde doesn't see this. They are talking about Indians doing stuff that's not so nice.
    LOL
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Still trying to get the video to load?
    I only watched the first few minutes and started thinking about the POW and wondered how many are of Indian ancestry. Could explain a few things...just sayin'
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 03-28-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling is heard

This is one of the reasons diseases run rampant in this countries--polio for instance. Vaccines aren't the answer in this scenario.

Clean running water, sanitation and good hygiene has been the reason why first world countries have healthier people.
    Last edited by donnay; 03-29-2017 at 06:48 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

For those who didn't watch, the bottom line is that this is the result of the caste system. Only the lowest, untouchable caste works with human waste, thus, no one wants to do it, even once. To do so makes one permanently untouchable.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    For those who didn't watch, the bottom line is that this is the result of the caste system. Only the lowest, untouchable caste works with human waste, thus, no one wants to do it, even once. To do so makes one permanently untouchable.
    Why do they have to empty the latrines by hand? Isn't there any equipment to make the process a bit more sanitary?

Why not try Composting toilets?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Why do they have to empty the latrines by hand? Isn't there any equipment to make the process a bit more sanitary?
    Yeah, the pit style laterines in third world countries are periodically emptied "by hand" (or shovel). Maybe once every five years. They probably don't have a lot of those pump trucks, and just operating and driving one of them would make you an untouchable.

India used to have a lot of small pit laterines that were cleaned every night, literally by hand by untouchables. That history is what resulted in today's stigma (or would that be stinkma?).
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

As opposed to $#@!ting on the side of the road? That's totally cool. o_O

As opposed to $#@!ting on the side of the road? That's totally cool. o_O
    Hey ma, look, no hands.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    This is one of the reasons diseases run rampant in this countries--polo for instance.
    Yeah, sure. All India's problems are old white Marco Polo's fault.

Yay overdue to get out of such system if they still have it. So good with computers & fixing computer issues and yet such important social issues have not been fixed.
    If I recall old news correctly, their PM belonged to "untoucable" class, so there is some progress.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Yay overdue to get out of such system if they still have it. So good with computers & fixing computer issues and yet such important social issues have not been fixed.
    If I recall old news correctly, their PM belonged to "untoucable" class, so there is some progress.
    We must have more of them here to make sure we do not end up with a system like theirs!

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Modi? Not untouchable, but yes, considered a lower class (vendor). The lesser castes are grouped together as Other Backward Classes (OBC), so he qualified for that. His success was based primarily on Hindu Nationalism (anti-Muslim).