Thread: VIDEO: Johnson/Weld Reason Interview

VIDEO: Johnson/Weld Reason Interview

Added this to the GOP & Dem forum since it appears like Johnson/Weld are trying to just be centrists.

On the whole, I think it's an interesting video and I understand their tactic. (But damn, Weld is friggin' distasteful as hell)

Still think this ticket is better than the Red/Blue party, but can't get excited about it. But it seems to me like there is no possible way they'll be allowed into the debates. For the average voter, this tactic will come across as a compromise between R and D - both of which have low approvals.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump - no comments?!

This ain't really "libertarianism", but it is possibly an effective tactic in this year's F'd up election cycle.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    Comment: not interested.
    Not overwhelming, but much better than Trump and Hillary.
    Rand Paul for Peace

It's obvious their election tactic is not to uphold Libertarian ideals, but to try and court disaffected Bernie Sanders supporters. They ran WAAAAAAY to the left in order to try and appeal to that demographic.

Johnson would use government force to force a jewish baker to bake a Nazi cake = fail
    Johnson supports the Trans Pacific Partnership = fail
    Johnson would ban muslim women from wearing burquas = fail
    Johnson supports funding planned parenthood = fail
    Johnson/Weld support some gun control... Weld supported assault weapons ban = fail
    Weld supports eminent domain = fail
    Weld supports affirmative action = fail
    Weld supports EPA regulations = fail
    Weld endorsed Obama in 2008, Romney in 2012, and Kasich in 2016 before running with Johnson = fail

I will not support this fake Libertarian ticket and I urge you all to not support them either.

EDIT: Yes GJ and Weld are marginally better than Hillary/Trump... but that isn't enough for me to affirmatively cast my vote for such a farse.
    Last edited by jllundqu; 07-27-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Bump - no comments?!

This ain't really "libertarianism", but it is possibly an effective tactic in this year's F'd up election cycle.
    I'm voting LP but this interview displays why I hate this ticket. I heard very little in terms of libertarian values and plenty about centerist BS. They wouldn't even go after Hillary. LOL

In my dreams, there's a "Paul Squared" libertarian ticket. It created so much noise after Rand dropped out as a Republican candidate that the news can't stop talking about it. They're leading in the polls... history is being made. LOL but this is the reality unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by LatinsforPaul View Post
    Not overwhelming, but much better than Trump and Hillary.
    This is my take as well. Given the printed choices on my ballot, this is likely the best one. And that is sad. But I'm used to having sad choices.

If it's close, I may add a vote for the LP, but if not, I'll write in a Paul like I normally do.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This ticket represents libertarianism being sold out on a national stage, no doubt about it. Let's hope it crashes and burns spectacularly for the good of the cause.

I support Johnson more than many on this site, but it is all based on what is important to me. I was drawn to Ron Paul for his stand on foreign policy, war, peace, individual liberty, and national debt.

Hillary is the opposite of the RP position on foreign policy. Although Trump has decent ideas about NATO, I get the impression he is ready to launch a $5 trillion dollar war on ISIS, destabilize the Middle East further and create a worse mess. (All to the chants of USA! USA!)

Another important issue for me is the Bill of Rights. The two party system has been destroying it for decades now. I don't see Clinton reversing the trend. Trump's public disdain for the 1rst amendment makes me very afraid. His support for the 2nd amendment looks so phony.

I have a real issue with the debt doubling every eight years. Clinton does not address it; she has some big spending plans. Trump wants to build up the military and renegotiate the terms of our debt. Building up an already oversized military is wasteful and renegotiating the debt sounds scary. And the wall is not going to be cheap. Looks like the biggest broken window project in history.

It is hard to find candidates that aligns with everyone's values. I found this quiz useful: http://www.isidewith.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post
    I support Johnson more than many on this site, but it is all based on what is important to me. I was drawn to Ron Paul for his stand on foreign policy, war, peace, individual liberty, and national debt.
    Yeah, I don't want to be a downer. There was plenty of good in this interview as well.

Law should originate in Congress.
    Stop these wars.
    End the war on drugs.
    Rein in government spending.

These are things that aren't even being discussed with Trump/Hillary.

They are nothing like Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 4_God_N_Country View Post
    I wouldn't say "nothing" but they're certainly not up to par. I get why the LP nominated him, I just don't agree with it. They wanted to capitalize on this election with a known name and a safe politician.

Quote Originally Posted by 4_God_N_Country View Post
    I agree, but RP is retired. I respect and support anyone writing in Ron Paul this November, or for the rest of their lives.

For me, in this election, Johnson represents a glowing contrast in foreign policy, civil liberties and fiscal sanity that he has earned my vote.
    Last edited by dean.engelhardt; 07-27-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    It's obvious their election tactic is not to uphold Libertarian ideals, but to try and court disaffected Bernie Sanders supporters. They ran WAAAAAAY to the left in order to try and appeal to that demographic.

Johnson would use government force to force a jewish baker to bake a Nazi cake = fail
    Johnson supports the Trans Pacific Partnership = fail
    Johnson would ban muslim women from wearing burquas = fail
    Johnson supports funding planned parenthood = fail
    Johnson/Weld support some gun control... Weld supported assault weapons ban = fail
    Weld supports eminent domain = fail
    Weld supports affirmative action = fail
    Weld supports EPA regulations = fail
    Weld endorsed Obama in 2008, Romney in 2012, and Kasich in 2016 before running with Johnson = fail

I will not support this fake Libertarian ticket and I urge you all to not support them either.

EDIT: Yes GJ and Weld are marginally better than Hillary/Trump... but that isn't enough for me to affirmatively cast my vote for such a farse.
    Hammer, meet nail.