Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: My first Divine Liturgy experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    It's our first year of seriously attempting the fast.
    I usually do pretty good on the diet, but in past years, the spiritual aspect was really lacking despite the diet, and that's the important part-- so I am in no way bragging.

Usually I am a meat, eggs, and low carb vegetable person. This diet can really get to me, but I hear the flexitarian diet is starting to become the recent fad. The EOC is 2000 years ahead of the trends

One thing that really helps me is just not eating for a day or two or three. Monks will usually fast this way from Sunday's cheese fair until Wednesday's presanctified liturgy. I stumbled upon this quite by accident. It wasn't discipline but rather looking at a plate of vegetarian food, my body was like, "What's the point of eating this food devoid of nourishment?" I will do a few dry fasts over Lent that extend from 24 to 72 hours. After not eating, the body will reset, purify itself and be grateful for any food. It must work! I actually thank God for a plate of beans (and mean it, LOL.)

I also save favorite hot sauces, favorite foods like figs and macadamia nuts exclusively for Lent. There is a brand of habanero hempeh that I actually look forward to eating in Lent.

I know you don't need to hear this, but sometimes I do: Even if you blow the diet, don't beat yourself up and forsake the prayer life as a result of your disappointment in yourself. That's one of the greatest weapons of the enemy. Lent is about our relationship with God.

All of you are in my prayers on this journey.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Notes from Sunday...
    Homily on Man and his work

men(unlike women) tend to define themselves by work and their success
    Necrosis-Greek word used in Septuagint for "barren"-lit. "dead"
    Melchizadek-a type of Christ in the OT
    We tithe to give thanks, not because God needs it
    Befining ourselves by what we do reduces us to a number-tithing makes us part of something bigger, teaches patient endurance

Gospel-Mark 9:16-30 Epistle-Hebrews 6:13-20 @fisharmor, I think you'll find this homily series fascinating as I have.
    3 weeks ago-
    2 weeks ago-
    1 week ago-
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hope everyone's had a great Holy Week! IS OF MADNESS! The usual candlelight Good Friday evening liturgy-awesomesauce. I had the opportunity to go to Vespers of The Empty Tomb this morning. @RJB @TER @fisharmor Hope y'all can join me in staying up late tonight for Rush Procession leading into Pascha.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I am going to the Greek Church with some friends. My pastor is not in good health. I will go without my wife and kids. The funny thing is my wife is worried about me staying out late because she wants me at Liturgy at our church tomorrow and not tired and grumpy. I reminded her that I had stayed up past midnight drinking in the past. She reminded me that I was young then, lol. I am only 46!

I laughed. Most wives worry about their husbands out late at a bar. Mine is worried about me out late at church. Women...

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I am going to the Greek Church with some friends. My pastor is not in good health. I will go without my wife and kids. The funny thing is my wife is worried about me staying out late because she wants me at Liturgy at our church tomorrow and not tired and grumpy. I reminded her that I had stayed up past midnight drinking in the past. She reminded me that I was young then, lol. I am only 46!

I laughed. Most wives worry about their husbands out late at a bar. Mine is worried about me out late at church. Women...
    Going to the Greek Church, you should get some great magaritsa soup after the Liturgy! It tastes sooo good, you will forget you just fasted for 7 weeks!

As for tomorrow, there is no Liturgy. Tomorrow’s service is the Great Vespers of Agapi, which is a beautiful service, but the Liturgy for Sunday/Pascha is done tonight after midnight. Just want to make you aware in case you were planning to have communion tomorrow... it is a mistake I have made in the past...
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

edit: oops, n/m :/

OMFG, UR SO OOOOOOOLD!!!! LOL J/K (still quite a bit older than me, tho)

Christ is Risen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Going to the Greek Church, you should get some great magaritsa soup after the Liturgy! It tastes sooo good, you will forget you just fasted for 7 weeks!

As for tomorrow, there is no Liturgy. Tomorrow’s service is the Great Vespers of Agapi, which is a beautiful service, but the Liturgy for Sunday/Pascha is done tonight after midnight. Just want to make you aware in case you were planning to have communion tomorrow... it is a mistake I have made in the past...
    Because my priest doesn't do the midnight liturgy we do a Pascha Liturgy in the morning. So to make sure I'm not grumpy before Liturgy, I am drinking some Pu-erh tea since I won't receive the Eucharist. The caffeine is nice...

I went to the Greek Church last night and morning and broke the fast with that famous soup. It was some good stuff.

Afterwards there is a party at the Greek Priest's house. They are barbecuing 3 lambs!!! It should be fun. One of his sons is a manager of a gun shop. His parties tend to get noisy. I am tired and rambling.

Again, Christ is Risen!
    Last edited by RJB; 04-08-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Christ is Risen!!!
    Because my priest doesn't do the midnight liturgy we do a Pascha Liturgy in the morning. So to make sure I'm not grumpy before Liturgy, I am drinking some Pu-erh tea since I won't receive the Eucharist. The caffeine is nice...

I went to the Greek Church last night and morning and broke the fast with that famous soup. It was some good stuff.

Afterwards there is a party at the Greek Priest's house. They are barbecuing 3 lambs!!! It should be fun. One of his sons is a manager of a gun shop. His parties tend to get noisy. I am tired and rambling.

Again, Christ is Risen!

Indeed He is Risen! Glory to God!

Enjoy the feast and have a great time!
    +

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We've been promising the kids they get 7 whole days of no church.

With a metropolitan for a rector, your scheduled services for Holy Week get cranked up a notch.
    Vladyka was careful to point out that it still wasn't close to all the services.
    I was there every night from Monday through Saturday, and I missed one of the afternoon services early in the week, but the family went... and then I got to go to the 3pm on Friday.

We skipped the 10am Saturday service to give the kids a break before Pascha liturgy, and also because we had to decorate cheese Paschas and make babkas, so we got to spend all day Saturday on our feet, anyway.

A couple weeks ago a friend of ours who runs an organic farm put out an APB that he was missing his sales for the month, so we picked up a bunch of stuff for Pascha... and I have to say one of my new favorite things is chorizo. That was the first thing I ate after the blessing. And I really wish I had taken some for lunch today because now I want some.

On Pascha Sunday there's always a parishioner who opens his house to the group and we do Pascha vespers there, and then have several hours of fellowship. We brought over $50 of KFC, just the chicken... and it all went. I thought for sure I was overbuying!

The mother of the family who owns the house is from Mexico originally, and she introduced the kids to a Pascha tradition in Mexico, where they hollow out dyed eggs, fill them with confetti, and carefully glue tissue paper over the hole - and then the kids break the eggs over each others' heads and get confetti everywhere.

I'm kind of disappointed Holy Week is over. I had successfully put a lot of my life on hold for a whole week. Now I'm sitting on a call listening to people talk about their server performance problems and the Holy Week music is playing over and over in my head, and I'm finding it difficult to come back to Earth.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Christ is Risen!!!
    Truly he is risen!

Been away for a while, due to a lot of busy-ness!! I've become an active chanter. I chant all Orthros and during communion in Liturgy and whenever else I'm asked. Since chanter/cantor is a minor clergy title, I got Fr.'s blessing to vest in a cantor's robe. (it's going to take a month to get here in the mail tho :P ) Since subdcn. Michael let me try 2 weeks ago, I've been allowed to take solo verses during Orthros which is pretty interesting and challenging-improvise a tune with the text given on the spot in a stylistically correct way. :O #kurwa

Toady:
    Gospel John 17:1-13
    Epistle Acts 20:16-18, 28-36

Sorry for the long absence, @fisharmor @TER, @RJB, et al
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 05-21-2018 at 01:15 AM.

Is Chanter another term for Reader?
    Vladyka is going to be tonsuring two Readers and two Subdeacons next week.
    I'm not one of them.
    People keep asking, and so far I haven't had to go beyond "no thank you". Between keeping a hand on Paisley to make sure she doesn't seize and kiss the floor, and the 9 month old boy who is becoming really mobile, both parents have enough going on without me trying to do more than sing.

Yesterday we had a special assembly to buy a parcel of land, where we'll build our own temple. We're renting right now from an Anglican church, and we really like our old 1840's chapel, but we've outgrown it. It was getting pretty packed when Fr Alexander was there, but when he was replaced with Metropolitan Jonah, the thing we were expecting started to happen: for some reason having a Metropolitan around all the time has attracted even more people.

Vladyka is digging in here - he's moving closer to the parish, and is looking for property to buy to set up a skete, and he's been personally involved with raising missions up to parishes multiple times. So really exciting (and scary) things are going on here.

Since I'm the warden, I had to run the meeting where we voted on it... and I was NOT into it. I still have trust issues with church, which is held over from my Lutheran days... and the fact that my brothers in Christ at this Orthodox church contain a lot of federal law enforcement types doesn't help.... and so I just told everyone what I was feeling: that my primary concern is not buying property, or building a temple, but that nobody gets injured in the process. I've been saying that for a while... we have an excellent opportunity here to make some bitter enemies.

The deal we're getting on this property can't be beaten, money is starting to flow in from nowhere, we have an experienced Metropolitan navigating for us, and for better or worse, a warden who has seen how crappy people can be to each other who is determined to prevent it... it certainly sounds like we're building a church!
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Is Chanter another term for Reader?
    Vladyka is going to be tonsuring two Readers and two Subdeacons next week.
    I'm not one of them.
    People keep asking, and so far I haven't had to go beyond "no thank you". Between keeping a hand on Paisley to make sure she doesn't seize and kiss the floor, and the 9 month old boy who is becoming really mobile, both parents have enough going on without me trying to do more than sing.

Yesterday we had a special assembly to buy a parcel of land, where we'll build our own temple. We're renting right now from an Anglican church, and we really like our old 1840's chapel, but we've outgrown it. It was getting pretty packed when Fr Alexander was there, but when he was replaced with Metropolitan Jonah, the thing we were expecting started to happen: for some reason having a Metropolitan around all the time has attracted even more people.

Vladyka is digging in here - he's moving closer to the parish, and is looking for property to buy to set up a skete, and he's been personally involved with raising missions up to parishes multiple times. So really exciting (and scary) things are going on here.

Since I'm the warden, I had to run the meeting where we voted on it... and I was NOT into it. I still have trust issues with church, which is held over from my Lutheran days... and the fact that my brothers in Christ at this Orthodox church contain a lot of federal law enforcement types doesn't help.... and so I just told everyone what I was feeling: that my primary concern is not buying property, or building a temple, but that nobody gets injured in the process. I've been saying that for a while... we have an excellent opportunity here to make some bitter enemies.

The deal we're getting on this property can't be beaten, money is starting to flow in from nowhere, we have an experienced Metropolitan navigating for us, and for better or worse, a warden who has seen how crappy people can be to each other who is determined to prevent it... it certainly sounds like we're building a church!
    Nah, chanter is another word for cantor. I do this kind of thing: If you pay attention during Orthros, there is a special tune (IDR the technical term now) where a verse is chanted by the full ensemble and then a brief line is chanted by a soloist (sometimes a psalm line, but usually a verse composed specially for the day). Well, I always take one of the solo lines nao that I have some experience. I don't have any particular ambition to go beyond chanter ATM. Maybe someday when I'm old I'll be a subdeacon. Glad to hear your church is growing! <3 ~hugs~

Special liturgy toady-All Souls. Got a chance to chant a lot and sight-read some tunes I really liked and haven't done before. This was my first All Souls' liturgy, and I'll make an effort to make all of them in the future. (Did your kids make it through okay, @fisharmor ?)

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Special liturgy toady-All Souls. Got a chance to chant a lot and sight-read some tunes I really liked and haven't done before. This was my first All Souls' liturgy, and I'll make an effort to make all of them in the future. (Did your kids make it through okay, @fisharmor ?)
    May God bless you, my brother, for your prayers and your service for the Church.

May the memory of your loved ones be eternal.
    +

We had a loooooooong day yesterday. Vladyka ordained two subdeacons and a new reader. Then divine liturgy for Pentecost, and of course kneeling vespers.
    I missed vespers because I was grilling.
    One of the new subdeacons rented a bounce house for the kids, and we had lawn games, and deacon brought some of his bourbon barrel porter.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Homily from Sunday-

Hi guys, please keep Met Jonah in your prayers. His mother died two weeks ago, and as soon as she was buried Vladyka was admitted to the hospital with a leg infection. Since he's diabetic it's more serious than he's letting on.

I ran into this today and thought I'd post it for any protestants that might be reading. This Russian priest definitely puts the traditions of Orthodoxy in perspective, IMO.

Hi guys, please keep Met Jonah in your prayers. His mother died two weeks ago, and as soon as she was buried Vladyka was admitted to the hospital with a leg infection. Since he's diabetic it's more serious than he's letting on.
    Господи! Praying. Met. Jonah sounds familiar. IIRC, the Deacons do petitions for him during the litany all the time. I only pay partial attention because I do the response during both matins and liturgy.

Homily from last week- @fisharmor

This week, some notes from the homily:
    -bickering over opinions should be avoided -look for things to fight for instead of about -actively try to serve/love someone daily

No major mistakes during chant this week, but my solos weren't nearly as good as I would like them to be. I've found that when I assume the role of choral bass section leader during liturgy, my section sounds a lot better-so I'm going to be doing that from now on.
    Good thing I always remember my reading glasses nowadays-the sheet music at the chanter stand and at the director's stand in the loft is ridiculously tiny. :P #kurwa

Gospel: Luke 1:1-25, 57-68,76,80 Epistle: Romans 13:11-14:4
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 06-24-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Man I would love to come down there and just look at the woodwork.

In answer to your question on the picture thread... yeah, we sing the Cherubic Hymn during every liturgy. I'm kind of surprised you don't.
    We actually have four different scores that get regular rotation, and a fifth that we do occasionally, and I'm pretty sure there's a sixth I don't immediately recall.
    As I said in the other thread, the Cherubic Hymn is probably my favorite part of the liturgy - not so much because of the music, but because it is a distinct point in the service where we say Ok, all that stuff we worry about, wars, rumors of wars, sickness, death, illegal immigration, all the way down to Google's disinterest in bringing the Android One initiative to America.... it all doesn't matter at this point. We are in the presence of the body and blood of the risen Christ, and we are laying aside all of those Earthly cares. We mystically represent the Cherubim and as such will put all of that stuff in a box and concentrate on the thing happening in front of us.

Man I would love to come down there and just look at the woodwork.

In answer to your question on the picture thread... yeah, we sing the Cherubic Hymn during every liturgy. I'm kind of surprised you don't.
    We actually have four different scores that get regular rotation, and a fifth that we do occasionally, and I'm pretty sure there's a sixth I don't immediately recall.
    As I said in the other thread, the Cherubic Hymn is probably my favorite part of the liturgy - not so much because of the music, but because it is a distinct point in the service where we say Ok, all that stuff we worry about, wars, rumors of wars, sickness, death, illegal immigration, all the way down to Google's disinterest in bringing the Android One initiative to America.... it all doesn't matter at this point. We are in the presence of the body and blood of the risen Christ, and we are laying aside all of those Earthly cares. We mystically represent the Cherubim and as such will put all of that stuff in a box and concentrate on the thing happening in front of us.
    We do the Cherubic Hymn every week. Did I say otherwise? O kurwa. oops. ATM though, choir is on hiatus. The chant version is way less interesting, but it works and it's still rewarding to perform.

Finally back at this. Pretty well have the hang of my new chanter's rassa nao. #lookinggood definitely not easy to put on and take off. :O Still kind of learning my way around the back way, I almost crossed the altar the last couple weeks. SMFH #facepalm

Ninth Sunday after Pentacost and Ninth Sunday of Matthew Holy Martyr Kallinikos of Gangra in Asia Minor; Holy Virgin Martyr Theodota of Byhtinia; Pious Emperor Theodosios the Younger; Constantine III, patriarch of Constantinople; Lupus the Confessor, bishop of Troyes; Martyr Serapia of Antioch

Epistle I Corinthians 3:9-17
    Gospel Matthew 14:22-34

recent homilies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFPlqzbA58U
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 07-30-2018 at 12:31 AM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kind of a rough day. Some heinous insect(s) bit both my big toes at about the time I woke up. Recovering from that cost me a significant amount of time. Thus, I was late to Orthros. Fr insists I be there to put on my cassock and chant at 8:30 from nao on. Kurwa.

The Iveron icon of the Theotokos was with us today, so we performed extra theotokia and whatnot for the occasion. Also commemorating the after-feast of the Theotokos with all that music.

Twelfth Sunday after Pentacost and Twelfth Sunday of Matthew. After-feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos Holy Martyr Andrew the Commander and those with him; Venerable Theophanes of Docheirariou monastery on Athos

Epistle 1 Corinthians 1:1-11 Gospel Matthew 19:16-26

8/26-was a better day. On time Epistle 1 Corinthians 16:13-24 Gospel Matthew 21:33-42. 13th sunday after Pentecost and 13th Sunday of Matthew Martyrs Adrian and Natalie of Nicomedia Venerable Joasaph, prince of India; Venerable Adrian of Ondrutsov. Learned how to print off and study the liturgical guide for Orthros ahead of time.

Blessed feast day to y'all! The Nativity of the Theotokos is *officially* Saturday, but we Orthodox celebrate the liturgy tonight. I got some chanting in, even though my ride made me 15 minutes late. :P For those into liturgical music ( @fisharmor ?) here's where my director gets a lot of the music: http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/music/SeptemberB.htm

Service guide for today's liturgy is here: https://antiochianprodsa.blob.core.w...7%20LITART.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Blessed feast day to y'all! The Nativity of the Theotokos is *officially* Saturday, but we Orthodox celebrate the liturgy tonight. I got some chanting in, even though my ride made me 15 minutes late. :P For those into liturgical music ( @fisharmor ?) here's where my director gets a lot of the music: http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/music/SeptemberB.htm

Service guide for today's liturgy is here: https://antiochianprodsa.blob.core.w...7%20LITART.pdf
    Hi HB! Your church had Divine Liturgy for the feast tonight, or the vespers service? Typically the Divine Liturgy for the feast would be tomorrow on the Feast Day (or after midnight)...

The program guide says there was an artoklasia...
    +

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast