Thread: Common mouthwashes may have the potential to reduce Covid-19 viral load in the mouth

Common mouthwashes may have the potential to reduce Covid-19 viral load in the mouth

Common mouthwashes may have the potential to reduce Covid-19 viral load in the mouth

Published Thu, Oct 22 2020
    Jade Scipioni@JadeScipioni

Some common drugstore items may have the potential to reduce the oral “viral load” of SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes Covid-19, among those suffering from the illness, according to researchers.
    In a recent study published in the Journal of Medical Virology, researchers at Penn State College of Medicine said certain oral antiseptics, mouthwashes and a baby shampoo “may have the ability to inactive human coronaviruses” when talking, sneezing or coughing, though further testing is needed.
    However other experts are skeptical about the usefulness or relevance of these findings, as the study did not specifically test the SARS-CoV-2 strain of coronavirus, and it did not test the usefulness of the products in people.
    Still, Penn State researchers call the findings “promising” and lead them to believe that certain oral rinses and other products tested could potentially help reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2 as well, the report said.
    “The researchers found that several of the nasal and oral rinses had a strong ability to neutralize human coronavirus, which suggests that these products may have the potential to reduce the amount of virus spread by people who are COVID-19-positive,” Penn State said in a release.
    Craig Meyers, a professor of microbiology and immunology and obstetrics and gynecology, who led the study, along with his team of researchers, have been studying different ways to lower the transmission and spread of human coronaviruses through aerosolized respiratory droplets, which is a method of transmission of SARS-CoV-2.
    According to Meyers, “I was in the drugstore and I just saw the bottle of Listerine, and it said ‘kill germs that cause bad breath.’ And I thought, ‘What the heck?’ I bought it and we threw it into the studies and we were a little surprised on how well it worked” at inactivating human coronaviruses, Meyers tells CNBC Make It.
    Another study published in July by the Journal of Infectious Diseases did link certain oral rinses to inactivating SARS-CoV-2. Researchers in Germany tested eight commercial mouthwashes in a cell culture test and found Sars-CoV-2 viral load was reduced dramatically after 30 seconds. However, the authors concluded that further studies are still needed and that mouthwashes are not suitable for treating Covid-19.

Meyers also says that more clinical trials are still needed to determine if the products they tested (J&J Baby Shampoo, Orajel Antiseptic Rinse, Listerine Antiseptic and Peroxide Sore Mouth, to name a few) can reduce the amount of the virus in Covid-19 positive patients’ oral cavity and what specific ingredients in the solutions tested inactivated the virus.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/22/mout...-in-mouth.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I bet the study was paid for by Johnson&Johnson. Most "news" like that are just thinly disguised advertisements.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

J&J Baby Shampoo as an oral rinse?

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I bet the study was paid for by Johnson&Johnson. Most "news" like that are just thinly disguised advertisements.
    I agree.

I do use Crest Whiting in my Waterpik (I hate flossing but I find having stuff blasted into my mouth oddly refreshing), though. My Corona germies may still be there but they're sparking white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I agree.

I do use Crest Whiting in my Waterpik (I hate flossing but I find having stuff blasted into my mouth oddly refreshing), though. My Corona germies may still be there but they're sparking white.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

that's my morning routine
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I can't imagine what her breath is in the morning...or night...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Could be, ads camouflaged as "resaerch reports" is very common tactic in marketing lately.

That said, as alcohol is known to kill this virus, it is plausible that for some limited cases ( like quick emergency kissing in some weird scenarious where only mouth cavity is exposed to virus), an alcohol based mothwash rinse could offer limited benefit. Although also risky if people assumed it was a general use treatment.
    If I have to guess, perhaps even properly done plain water rinse of mouth, nose, eyes could help wash off some of the virus that those parts may have been exposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    that's my morning routine
    How do you keep the scales from clogging your Waterpik?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    J&J Baby Shampoo as an oral rinse?
    That was my thought when I read that. lol