Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump: India has 100% tariffs on American products

Trump: India has 100% tariffs on American products

India charges 100% tariffs on large number of American products whereas America charges 0% tariffs on the same or similar products from India, Donald Trump said.

Donald Trump indicated he is getting resistance from senators for imposing reciprocal tariffs on Indian products and also said America has lost over the many years $800 billion from such stupid trades.

I was reading "Mumbai Mirror"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I lived in India and had a chance to buy an american made item for 20 or a Mumbai made item for 10.00 I would pay the 20 and pressure my govt to drop the charges . Basically american made things are still pretty good .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    If I lived in India and had a chance to buy an american made item for 20 or a Mumbai made item for 10.00 I would pay the 20 and pressure my govt to drop the charges . Basically american made things are still pretty good.
    How did America allow 100% tariffs since 20 years ?? Now all the countries have the technology to make things and machines.

With $700,000 you get business migration to USA for 8 years and with $200,000 you get residency in Brazil. What is the point is paying 100% tariffs for imported goods ??

I mean $400,000 for $200,000 car. All the best engineering cars, machines.. are made in USA, Europe, Russia.
    Last edited by Itsback; 04-08-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsback View Post
    How did America allow 100% tariffs since 20 years ?? Now all the countries have the technology to make things and machines.

With $700,000 you get business migration to USA for 8 years and with $200,000 you get residency in Brazil. What is the point is paying 100% tariffs for imported goods ??
    Obama allowed that for eight years ? Pretty bad .
    Do something Danke

India had a 100% tariff (since reduced to 50%) on all imported Harley Davidson motorcycles (larger than 800cc)- but that was basically non- existent since Harley did not export bikes from the US to India. They have a factory there which makes the ones they sell in India.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/03/01/new...vidson-tariff/

Some of the motorcycles Harley assembes in India are made with parts produced in Wisconsin and then shipped to India for final assembly. That's a move typically made manufacturers to avoid paying tariffs.

India is a major market for motorcycles. There were 16.5 million motorcycles and motor scooters sold there last year, according to the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers. That's more than 50 times as many motorcycles than were sold in the U.S. last year, and represents 80% of all vehicle sales in India. While Harley-Davidson sells the majority motorcycles in the U.S., it has less than 1% market share in India.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-08-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Few year back, I saw a "hummer SUV" some 500 meters away from my building. All those $100,000 to $200,000 cars and jeeps are moving on Indian roads and highways in thousands. All those talks of India as a poor country.

Obama allowed that for eight years ? Pretty bad .
    How can any US Senators give resistance when tariffs are 50% or more ??

In 2010, an FBI special agent said "Muslim brotherhood has infiltrated Obama admin". The same could be corporate and senate with all those lobbying and donations going on

How did America allow 100% tariffs since 20 years ?
    You're asking how we allowed another country's government to charge its own subjects a certain tariff?

Because America shouldn't have any say over what tariffs other governments charge their subjects. Sadly, the regime in DC has a bad habit of intervening in the affairs of the rest of the world. But when we finally have an example of it refraining from that, we should be glad for it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Apparently they're actually doing something in the interest of their constituents for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    You're asking how we allowed another country's government to charge its own subjects a certain tariff?

Because America shouldn't have any say over what tariffs other governments charge their subjects. Sadly, the regime in DC has a bad habit of intervening in the affairs of the rest of the world. But when we finally have an example of it refraining from that, we should be glad for it.
    "They tax their citizens more so to be fair, we should tax our citizens more!" Tariffs are easy. And full of win!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    "They tax their citizens more so to be fair, we should tax our citizens more!" Tariffs are easy. And full of win!
    Lower the salary/wages for all IT/Tech workers to $9000/month. If farmers and fishermen do not send food, that will be the end of world economy.

Jobs support each other to run the economy. Workers are highly skilled at their work.

Lower the salary/wages for all IT/Tech workers to $9000/month.
    Their average salary is already well below that. It would hardly be possible to have a situation where there don't exist any at all making more than that though. Even government imposed wage controls wouldn't succeed at that.

But being able to purchase labor in the IT/Tech fields for less money is a worthy goal. The best way to accomplish that is by deregulation, particularly with respect to regulations that prevent American companies from hiring more foreign workers in those areas, or that punish them for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Their average salary is already well below that. It would hardly be possible to have a situation where there don't exist any at all making more than that though. Even government imposed wage controls wouldn't succeed at that. But being able to purchase labor in the IT/Tech fields for less money is a worthy goal. The best way to accomplish that is by deregulation, particularly with respect to regulations that prevent American companies from hiring more foreign workers in those areas, or that punish them for doing so.
    every year 65000 H1-B visas are issued. America with a population of 350,000,000 people and U.S military and wars all over the world, looks like there are no American IT/Tech workers

every year 65000 H1_B visas are issued. America with a population of 350,000,000 people and U.S military and wars all over the world, looks like there are no American IT/Tech workers
    There are American IT/Tech workers. But there's also high demand for that field, and we could certainly benefit from having more of them. There should be no limits placed on the number of foreign IT/Tech workers that American companies can hire. In fact, no visas of any kind should even be required for them to do that. Lift those limits and watch how many more foreigners get hired in those fields. I don't know what that number will be. But it will be greater than 65,000 per year. And however high it ends up getting, that will be the market telling us that that's how many it should be.

And this rule doesn't just apply to those fields, but every other occupation as well.

In 2010, an FBI special agent said "Muslim brotherhood has infiltrated Obama admin". The same could be corporate and senate with all those lobbying and donations going on
    In before Superfluous Man comes to defend the brotherhood senators .
    Do something Danke

Also , everyone knows IT workers are some of the most deplorable .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    At what point after "tariffs" have been implemented on every imported product from every other country do we realize that it's not "tariffs" but instead is actually dollar currency devaluation?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Also , everyone knows IT workers are some of the most deplorable .
    Those IT/Tech workers are real idiots. They cannot break a coconut.

Those IT/Tech workers are real idiots. They cannot break a coconut.
    Exactly .
    Do something Danke

Now there are 50 storeys residential buildings and complex all over India. In Mumbai suburbs, an average 400 square feet house cost Rs 60,00,000

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    At what point after "tariffs" have been implemented on every imported product from every other country do we realize that it's not "tariffs" but instead is actually dollar currency devaluation?
    Strong dollar makes imports cheaper and our exports more expensive encouraging a bigger trade deficit.

Strong dollar makes imports cheaper and our exports more expensive encouraging a bigger trade deficit.
    I am not convinced that any of these unbacked , debt ridden world currencies should be considered strong by anyone . You should get yourself some Oyarde money instead . Buck skins and silver Lafayette and Morgan dollars are not going to be worthless.
    Do something Danke

I am not convinced that any of these unbacked , debt ridden world currencies should be considered strong by anyone . You should get yourself some Oyarde money instead . Buck skins and silver Lafayette and Morgan dollars are not going to be worthless.

Your point? Tariff imposition always translates to higher costs for imported goods since tariff costs are passed on to consumers, not absorbed by those that tariffs are imposed on. I've suspected that the tariff story is cover for (relatively short-term) dollar devaluation wrapped in a nationalist narrative. If Trump keeps constantly "adding" tariffs to new countries and new products it is wise to consider whether it is not tariffs at all but rather dollar devaluation wrapped in a nationalist narrative.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    Ya , I have one of those .
    Do something Danke

Your point? Tariff imposition always translates to higher costs for imported goods since tariff costs are passed on to consumers, not absorbed by those that tariffs are imposed on. I've suspected that the tariff story is cover for (relatively short-term) dollar devaluation wrapped in a nationalist narrative. If Trump keeps constantly "adding" tariffs to new countries and new products it is wise to consider whether it is not tariffs at all but rather dollar devaluation wrapped in a nationalist narrative.
    If you are devaluing, you don't need tariffs. The devaluation acts like a tariff- raising the cost of imports.

Ya , I have one of those .
    I bought a few too...

If you are devaluing, you don't need tariffs. The devaluation acts like a tariff- raising the cost of imports.
    If you wanted to devalue but not tell the average citizen why their prices are rising, how would you do it? I'd tell them over and over that I'm imposing tariffs on foreign countries and their goods under the guise of nationalism. Pretty much what Trump has been doing.

If you wanted to devalue but not tell the average citizen why their prices are rising, how would you do it? I'd tell them over and over that I'm imposing tariffs on foreign countries and their goods under the guise of nationalism. Pretty much what Trump has been doing.
    To hide it, you would need to tariff everything- not just selected items- so all prices were effected. And all countries- not just China. No- he is actually imposing tariffs.(the president can't by himself devalue the dollar).

To hide it, you would need to tariff everything- not just selected items- so all prices were effected. And all countries- not just China. No- he is actually imposing tariffs.(the president can't by himself devalue the dollar).
    Affected. And that statement is ridiculous. Inflationary pressures don't stay that localized, and few people are going to check the entire list even if the government gets over its secretive nature enough to publish it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast