Thread: GOP activists accused of 'straw donor' conspiracy to funnel Russian donation in 2016 election

GOP activists accused of 'straw donor' conspiracy to funnel Russian donation in 2016 election

The Empire strikes back...

GOP activists accused of 'straw donor' conspiracy to funnel Russian donation in 2016 election

Republican activists and allies of Republican Sen. Rand Paul are charged with conspiring to use a “straw donation” to funnel a $25,000 donation illegally from a Russian national to then-candidate Donald Trump’s presidential victory fund during the 2016 election.

The Justice Department unsealed an indictment on Monday that accuses Jesse Benton, 43, and Roy Douglas “Doug” Wead, 75, of a “conspiracy to solicit and cause an illegal campaign contribution by a foreign national, effect a conduit contribution, and cause false records to be filed with the Federal Election Commission.” The duo “conspired together to solicit a political contribution from a Russian foreign national” known in the court records only as "Foreign National 1," according to federal prosecutors.
    More: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-2016-election
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

DOJ persecuting Benton (AGAIN!) & Doug Wead - another contrived FEC plot!

Still trying to tarnish the Pauls' good name! Guess they need to throw some crap at them for being proven so consistently right about how $#@!ed-up everything they do is, and always has been! Rand seems to be the only senator making really substantive arguments about how incompetent and guilty they are (i.e. fake covid claims, Afghanistan stupidity, killing civilians - and keeps catching these officials lying under oath. They must really hate him!

Meanwhile - some of you may recall - only 10 1/2 more years according to Doug Wead, till we can hear about what actually happened during the 2012 election regarding Ron Paul and Romney. (Wead said something like that during an interview after the campaign was over.) I was hoping Doug Wead was busy writing that book by now!

Biden DOJ and FBI Now Going After 75-Year-Old Trump White House Author and Esteemed Historian Doug Wead
    By Jim Hoft
    September 20, 2021 at 8:03pm

The Biden DOJ claims Wead went to the 2016 fundraiser with GOP operative Jesse Benton. Benton reportedly filled out a form that he contributed $25,000 to the Trump campaign but the DOJ claims the money actually came from a foreign national.

Doug Wead and Jesse Benton now face up to 20 years in prison for the donation to the Trump campaign...

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...ian-doug-wead/
    Department of Justice
    Office of Public Affairs
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Monday, September 20, 2021

Political Operatives Indicted for Alleged Scheme Involving Illegal Campaign Contribution to 2016 Presidential Campaign

An indictment was unsealed today in the District of Columbia charging a Kentucky man and a Florida man both with conspiracy to solicit and cause an illegal campaign contribution by a foreign national, effect a conduit contribution and cause false records to be filed with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) and related substantive offenses.

According to court documents, Jesse R. Benton, 43, of Louisville, Kentucky, who previously worked as a campaign manager for two campaigns for U.S. Senate and one campaign for president, and Roy Douglas “Doug” Wead, 75, of Bonita Springs, Florida, who previously served as an advisor to multiple presidential campaigns, conspired together to solicit a political contribution from a Russian foreign national (Foreign National 1). As described in the indictment, Wead conveyed to Foreign National 1 that he could meet Political Candidate 1, a candidate for president during the 2016 election cycle, in exchange for a payment. Shortly after Foreign National 1 committed to transfer the funds, Benton reached out to individuals at Political Committee B, the national party committee for Political Candidate 1’s political party. He then arranged for Foreign National 1 to attend a political fundraising event and get a photograph with Political Candidate 1, in exchange for a political contribution to Political Committee C, a joint fundraising committee comprised of the campaign committee for Political Candidate 1, Political Committee B, and related state committees. Foreign National 1 ultimately wired $100,000 to Company A, a political consulting firm owned by Benton. To disguise the true purpose of the transfer of funds, Wead and Benton created a fake invoice for “consulting services” and invented a cover story.

Wead and Foreign National 1 attended the political fundraising event for Political Candidate 1 on Sept. 22, 2016. Foreign National 2, who worked as a Russian/English translator for Wead, also attended. All three individuals had photographs taken at the event with Political Candidate 1. Following the event, Benton repeatedly represented to a consultant working for Political Committee B and Political Committee C that he had already sent the promised contribution for the event, but in actuality he delayed sending the contribution. Benton ultimately filled out a contributor form, indicated that he was the contributor, and used a personal credit card to make a $25,000 contribution. Benton retained the remaining $75,000 of Foreign National 1’s money. Because Benton falsely claimed to have given the contribution himself, three different political committees unwittingly filed reports with the FEC that inaccurately reported Benton, rather than Foreign National 1, as the source of the funds.

Benton and Wead are both charged with one count of conspiracy to solicit and cause an illegal campaign contribution by a foreign national, effect a conduit contribution, and cause false records to be filed with the FEC, one count of contribution by a foreign national, one count of contribution in the name of another and three counts of making false entries in an official record. The defendants made their initial court appearance today before U.S. Magistrate Judge Zia Faruqui of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. If convicted, Benton and Wead face a range of maximum penalties from five to 20 years in prison, per count. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after considering the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

The FBI’s San Diego Field Office is investigating the case.

Trial Attorneys Rebecca G. Ross and Michelle K. Parikh of the Justice Department’s Public Integrity Section and Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Michelle L. Wasserman of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia are prosecuting the case.

An indictment is merely an allegation, and all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.
    https:// www . justice . gov/opa/pr/political-operatives-indicted-alleged-scheme-involving-illegal-campaign-contribution-2016 <You can dowload the entire indictment here.
    Last edited by Valli6; 09-20-2021 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Still trying to tarnish the Pauls' good name! Guess they need to throw some crap at them for being proven so consistently right about how $#@!ed-up everything they do is, and always has been! Rand seems to be the only senator making really substantive arguments about how incompetent and guilty they are (i.e. fake covid claims, Afghanistan stupidity, killing civilians - and keeps catching these officials lying under oath. They must really hate him!

Meanwhile - some of you may recall - only 10 1/2 more years according to Doug Wead, till we can hear about what actually happened during the 2012 election regarding Ron Paul and Romney. (Wead said something like that during an interview after the campaign was over.) I was hoping Doug Wead was busy writing that book by now!

https:// www . justice . gov/opa/pr/political-operatives-indicted-alleged-scheme-involving-illegal-campaign-contribution-2016 <You can dowload the entire indictment here.
    Amazing, isn't it? Amazing how clean all of US politics truly is. So few prosecutions. This couldn't have been a set-up, could it?
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 09-21-2021 at 12:12 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Yeah, Trump should have pardoned them. Another huge failure by Trump.

And if he had pardoned them, would we all be shocked when the Biden Administration simply filed new charges?
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Very. A pardon expunges nothing, and double jeopardy still applies.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Not possible. Double jepordy.
    Jesse Benton might disagree.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 09-27-2021 at 02:39 PM.

This is the same thing they prosecuted him for before? Or he got a pardon?

Or does the fact that Trump obviously does not have his back mean Benton wouldn't consider covering his fat orange backside a fool's errand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

This is the same thing they prosecuted him for before? Or he got a pardon?
    Political Operative Pardoned By Trump Accused Of Illegal Campaign Scam
    Jesse Benton, who was convicted in a 2012 bribery plot and pardoned by the ex-president, has been charged again with 2016 campaign-related crimes.
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ap-us...b0175a18356806
    So apparently they had charges (a set-up?) waiting on the back burner. Trump pardoned him, they just filed new charges.

Which brings us back to Assange. Even if Trump had pardoned him, would they have new charges ready to go?

So apparently they had charges (a set-up?) waiting on the back burner. Trump pardoned him, they just filed new charges.

Which brings us back to Assange. Even if Trump had pardoned him, would they have new charges ready to go?
    Set up or not, it was clearly a different incident. Has Assange been in a position to do more of the same during his world tour?

Edit: Benton got charged for a different crime. Regardless, what point are you trying to make? That Assange shouldn't be pardoned because...what exactly? Straw grasping.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 09-27-2021 at 03:24 PM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who pardoned Jesse Benton?
    Trump, right before he left office.

Trump, right before he left office.
    https://www.salon.com/2021/09/21/ex-...umps-campaign/

Don't commit new crimes.

Edit: Of course this goes to show that the only people Trump pardoned are ones that did actual dirty work for him as opposed to those who did service for the country as a whole.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 09-27-2021 at 03:28 PM.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Even if the charges are true and not a set up....
    20 years for this?!

Who's the victim?
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Crimes from 2016. But they waited for Trump to be gone.

Would you be willing to ponder the original question, which is, is it possible they could have done this to Assange if Assange had been pardoned? The DOJ, FBI and law enforcement/prosecutors in general never seem to be at a loss for coming up with charges.

Crimes from 2016. But they waited for Trump to be gone.

Would you be willing to ponder the original question, which is, is it possible they could have done this to Assange if Assange had been pardoned? The DOJ, FBI and law enforcement/prosecutors in general never seem to be at a loss for coming up with charges.
    What's the point of your original question? To deflect from Trump's treason? Got it. Jesse Benton did dirt from Trump. That's the only reason he got a pardon. Assange, Snowden and others were true patriots. Hence no pardon.

What's the point of your original question? To deflect from Trump's treason?
    Not in the slightest. Come on, man! Seriously, the whole world doesn't revolve around Trump.

Seeing how easy it was for DOJ to just come up with new charges against Benton, it made me raise the question. It seem that there is a loophole that would allow them to just press new charges against anyone who has been pardoned. Thus, the question with regard to Assange. They say they can indict a ham sandwich. I believe them. And I believe that it would be easy for them to just come up with new charges against Assange.

Not in the slightest. Come on, man! Seriously, the whole world doesn't revolve around Trump.
    He knows that. I think he can be pardoned for suspecting not everyone else knows it, considering the Orange Traitor conspired with Pelosi to suspend the Constitution, and cucks are still making excuses for him.

Seeing how easy it was for DOJ to just come up with new charges against Benton, it made me raise the question. It seem that there is a loophole that would allow them to just press new charges against anyone who has been pardoned. Thus, the question with regard to Assange. They say they can indict a ham sandwich. I believe them. And I believe that it would be easy for them to just come up with new charges against Assange.
    On the one hand, three felonies a day. On the other hand, jurisdiction enters into it. If you aren't on U.S. soil, as Benton was and Assange wasn't, then all you can do is crimes against the country. If Assange couldn't come up with more U.S. secrets, he was hard pressed to commit such an offense.

Not that I agree with the FBI setting Benton up (if they did), or with treating this "crime" so seriously, whether it was a set up or not.

But I see Benton as the kind of guy who, if the FBI wants to set him up by dangling an opportunity to do something corrupt in front of his face, he'll fall for it every time.

I don't think Assange or Snowden are like that.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On the one hand, three felonies a day. On the other hand, jurisdiction enters into it. If you aren't on U.S. soil, as Benton was and Assange wasn't, then all you can do is crimes against the country. If Assange couldn't come up with more U.S. secrets, he was hard pressed to commit such an offense.
    Considering all the things that Assange and Wikileaks published, it seems like they could just pick another document or video that he wasn’t previously charged for.

Assange will probably never be pardoned (he should be), but the Benton case does raise questions about other pardons, and potential abuse, especially considering that any pretense of following the law has been abandoned by many in government.

Considering all the things that Assange and Wikileaks published, it seems like they could just pick another document or video that he wasn’t previously charged for.

Assange will probably never be pardoned (he should be), but the Benton case does raise questions about other pardons, and potential abuse, especially considering that any pretense of following the law has been abandoned by many in government.
    Okay. That's true for Assange. Not for Snowden. Snowden already turned over everything he had and he won't ever get the opportunity to get that kind of information again.

Post Wead and Benton indicted for accepting foreign funds in 2016

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

At this point I'm highly skeptical of any charges involving "Russia".
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

All of the following is under an "if I understand correctly" qualifier:

I think it depends on the scope of the particular pardon. If Benton was pardoned specifically and only for offenses that he had already been charged with or convicted of, then new charges on other offenses would still be permitted by the pardon. But if Benton got a partial "blanket" pardon for some of the things he might have done prior to the issuance of the pardon, then new charges might not be permitted. Or if Benton got a full "blanket" pardon for anything he might have done prior to the issuance of the pardon, then new charges would not be permitted. So on the basis of this new indictment against Benton, I'm guessing that his earlier pardon must not have been a "blanket" pardon (or if it was, it must have been a partial "blanket" and not a full one).

Recall that when Nixon was pardoned by Ford, Nixon hadn't even been charged with - let alone convicted of - anything at all. So it is clearly possible to pardon someone for something for which they merely might be charged or convicted, rather than just something for which they already have been charged or convicted. If Assange or Snowden were to be granted full "blanket" pardons, then I don't see what the Feds/DoJ could do about it, other than ignoring the rules or cheating (which, of course, can't be ruled out). Also important to note is that presidential pardons only cover federal matters. States are not bound by them, and presidents cannot pardon (preemptively or otherwise) for state-level offenses.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-28-2021 at 04:23 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I think they did it. They both always struck me as sleazy. I liked Ron, but the people surrounding him were not the best.

Here is the way to pardon.