Thread: Why Did it Have to be ... Guns?

Why Did it Have to be ... Guns?

Since victim disarmament (it's proponents call it "gun control") is once again, sadly, at the forefront of political discussion right now, I offer this from L. Neil Smith:

by L. Neil Smith
    lneil@lneilsmith.org

Attribute to L. Neil Smith’s The Libertarian Enterprise

L. Neil Smith’s most famous essay, widely reprinted, and we here reprint it again!

Over the past 30 years, I’ve been paid to write almost two million words, every one of which, sooner or later, came back to the issue of guns and gun-ownership. Naturally, I’ve thought about the issue a lot, and it has always determined the way I vote.

People accuse me of being a single-issue writer, a single-issue thinker, and a single-issue voter, but it isn’t true. What I’ve chosen, in a world where there’s never enough time and energy, is to focus on the one political issue which most clearly and unmistakably demonstrates what any politician—or political philosophy—is made of, right down to the creamy liquid center.

Make no mistake: all politicians—even those ostensibly on the side of guns and gun ownership—hate the issue and anyone, like me, who insists on bringing it up. They hate it because it’s an X-ray machine. It’s a Vulcan mind-meld. It’s the ultimate test to which any politician—or political philosophy—can be put.

If a politician isn’t perfectly comfortable with the idea of his average constituent, any man, woman, or responsible child, walking into a hardware store and paying cash—for any rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything—without producing ID or signing one scrap of paper, he isn’t your friend no matter what he tells you.

If he isn’t genuinely enthusiastic about his average constituent stuffing that weapon into a purse or pocket or tucking it under a coat and walking home without asking anybody’s permission, he’s a four-flusher, no matter what he claims.

What his attitude—toward your ownership and use of weapons—conveys is his real attitude about you. And if he doesn’t trust you, then why in the name of John Moses Browning should you trust him?

If he doesn’t want you to have the means of defending your life, do you want him in a position to control it?

If he makes excuses about obeying a law he’s sworn to uphold and defend—the highest law of the land, the Bill of Rights—do you want to entrust him with anything?

If he ignores you, sneers at you, complains about you, or defames you, if he calls you names only he thinks are evil—like “Constitutionalist”—when you insist that he account for himself, hasn’t he betrayed his oath, isn’t he unfit to hold office, and doesn’t he really belong in jail?

Sure, these are all leading questions. They’re the questions that led me to the issue of guns and gun ownership as the clearest and most unmistakable demonstration of what any given politician—or political philosophy—is really made of.

He may lecture you about the dangerous weirdos out there who shouldn’t have a gun—but what does that have to do with you? Why in the name of John Moses Browning should you be made to suffer for the misdeeds of others? Didn’t you lay aside the infantile notion of group punishment when you left public school—or the military? Isn’t it an essentially European notion, anyway—Prussian, maybe—and certainly not what America was supposed to be all about?

And if there are dangerous weirdos out there, does it make sense to deprive you of the means of protecting yourself from them? Forget about those other people, those dangerous weirdos, this is about you, and it has been, all along.

Try it yourself: if a politician won’t trust you, why should you trust him? If he’s a man—and you’re not—what does his lack of trust tell you about his real attitude toward women? If “he” happens to be a woman, what makes her so perverse that she’s eager to render her fellow women helpless on the mean and seedy streets her policies helped create? Should you believe her when she says she wants to help you by imposing some infantile group health care program on you at the point of the kind of gun she doesn’t want you to have?

On the other hand—or the other party—should you believe anything politicians say who claim they stand for freedom, but drag their feet and make excuses about repealing limits on your right to own and carry weapons? What does this tell you about their real motives for ignoring voters and ramming through one infantile group trade agreement after another with other countries?

Makes voting simpler, doesn’t it? You don’t have to study every issue—health care, international trade—all you have to do is use this X-ray machine, this Vulcan mind-meld, to get beyond their empty words and find out how politicians really feel. About you. And that, of course, is why they hate it.

And that’s why I’m accused of being a single-issue writer, thinker, and voter.

But it isn’t true, is it?

Permission to redistribute this article is herewith granted by the author—provided that it is reproduced unedited, in its entirety, and appropriate credit given.
    http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2018/tle957-20180121-02.html
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Try it yourself: if a politician won’t trust you, why should you trust him? If he’s a man—and you’re not—what does his lack of trust tell you about his real attitude toward women? If “he” happens to be a woman, what makes her so perverse that she’s eager to render her fellow women helpless on the mean and seedy streets her policies helped create? Should you believe her when she says she wants to help you by imposing some infantile group health care program on you at the point of the kind of gun she doesn’t want you to have?
    /thread

/discussion

/debate

/political infighting

/period

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    /thread

/discussion

/debate

/political infighting

/period

This particular issue should have been settled, decisively, a long LONG time ago. If pro-gunners and 2nd Amendment advocates had had the courage of their convictions, or even actually believed their own rhetoric, it would have been. I have little use for the pro-gun movement for this reason.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Sadly, I think this is entirely predicable.

Not so much on this specific event, but with the destabilization of the minds of the shooters, exacerbated by SSRIs. The entire Anti Gun Narrative is used as a distractionary tactic to prevent people from asking "why are so many of these shooters on pharmaceutical drugs"? It is the default go-to any time that Gun Violence occurs on this scale. Hegalian Dialectic, yet again. Problem Reaction Solution. Problem is kids go crazy and shoot themselves. Reaction is people get pissed off and want something done about it, but with their focus placed on Guns, they will focus on more Gun Control. Solution is to give the govt even more power by taking away peoples rights to have guns. The entire thing also financially benefits the drug companies by increasing their profit margins because they also have their own Hegalian Dialectic which serves both them and govt. Big Pharma creates a problem by selling the SSRIs, which creates a Problem of unstable behavior, to which people will react against their behavior and not the drugs, and that allows for even more drugs to be sold.

Nice downward spiral.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Problem with appealing to amendment II is the "militia" part. Specious argument of course, but most people don't understand the legalese and read their own interpretation into it. I prefer amendment X.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    This particular issue should have been settled, decisively, a long LONG time ago. If pro-gunners and 2nd Amendment advocates had had the courage of their convictions, or even actually believed their own rhetoric, it would have been. I have little use for the pro-gun movement for this reason.
    They just didn't vote hard enough I guess.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

We can go lay down in the street in front of the Capitol.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    We can go lay down in the street in front of the Capitol.
    And bring signs too.

Waving signs really gets their attention.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    They just didn't vote hard enough I guess.
    If voting ever resulted in meaningful change, it would be prohibited.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    If voting ever resulted in meaningful change, it would be prohibited.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DamianTV again."
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    It might surprise you, but I disagree.

The pro gun movement has been one of the few successful political movements based on a freedom issue out there.

I can recall when there was serious consideration being given to banning all handguns at the federal level, "permitted" concealed carry was very rare, constitutional carry unheard of, bans of "assault" weapons commonplace and so on.

Zippy will certainly refute this with discredited Gallup polling on the issue, but more people have more guns than ever before.

And violent crime, in spite of occurrences such as this latest, continue to remain at record low levels.

Imagine how well off we'd be if all ten of the bill of rights was defended as vigorously.

If there was a GOA or NRA or SAAMI for the 4th amendment, or the 10th.

All that said, I understand your point...and when the rubber finally meets the road, I agree.

I'm not sure what I think might happen when that "great gettin' up' day finally happens.

But when the state of Massachusetts demanded that everybody turn in their "bump stocks" for destruction with no compensation, last time I looked, they had got four.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-19-2018 at 11:41 PM.

2nd amendment rights are our last that are relatively intact... the rest have been effectively gutted.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    2nd amendment rights are our last that are relatively intact... the rest have been effectively gutted.
    They are only "intact" if you have permission.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    They are only "intact" if you have permission.
    No doubt, I think nobody doubts they are on life support.

The 4th, for instance, is a dead letter for all intents and purposes.

Bump for current relevance.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post

Exactly. The weapons they allow us to have are more than sufficient for hunting deer

2nd amendment rights intact
    - Kim Kardashian

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Exactly. The weapons they allow us to have are more than sufficient for hunting deer

2nd amendment rights intact

Mission Accomplished.
    Chris

And red flag laws drive the final stake through its heart. If they're allowed to proliferate they will be the end of the 2nd and 4th at the very least.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Sadly, I think this is entirely predicable.

Not so much on this specific event, but with the destabilization of the minds of the shooters, exacerbated by SSRIs. The entire Anti Gun Narrative is used as a distractionary tactic to prevent people from asking "why are so many of these shooters on pharmaceutical drugs"? It is the default go-to any time that Gun Violence occurs on this scale. Hegalian Dialectic, yet again. Problem Reaction Solution. Problem is kids go crazy and shoot themselves. Reaction is people get pissed off and want something done about it, but with their focus placed on Guns, they will focus on more Gun Control. Solution is to give the govt even more power by taking away peoples rights to have guns. The entire thing also financially benefits the drug companies by increasing their profit margins because they also have their own Hegalian Dialectic which serves both them and govt. Big Pharma creates a problem by selling the SSRIs, which creates a Problem of unstable behavior, to which people will react against their behavior and not the drugs, and that allows for even more drugs to be sold.

Nice downward spiral.
    Its a negative feedback loop, America is a medicated nation, nut job goes a shoots up a place, we demand a solution, prescribe more meds to people. but we blame the gun. We want everything solved by swallowing a pill.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    We want everything solved by swallowing a pill.
    Suppositories are acceptable too.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Suppositories are acceptable too.
    Sure, if your into that.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

"If a politician isn’t perfectly comfortable with the idea of his average constituent, any man, woman, or responsible child, walking into a hardware store and paying cash—for any rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything—without producing ID or signing one scrap of paper, he isn’t your friend no matter what he tells you.

If he isn’t genuinely enthusiastic about his average constituent stuffing that weapon into a purse or pocket or tucking it under a coat and walking home without asking anybody’s permission, he’s a four-flusher, no matter what he claims.

What his attitude—toward your ownership and use of weapons—conveys is his real attitude about you. And if he doesn’t trust you, then why in the name of John Moses Browning should you trust him?"

Good point although I never trust politicians, period.
    Chris

The Associated Press noted that Second Amendment Foundation founder Alan Gottlieb welcomed O’Rourke’s push, simply for the damage that it does to the gun control movement. Gottlieb said, “This is what their goal is. We’ve always said it, now they’re saying it. Now they’ve said it and we’re going to make them eat it.”
    Just dropped another donation at https://gunowners.org/support/
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

The entire Anti Gun Narrative is used as a distractionary tactic to prevent people from asking "why are so many of these shooters on pharmaceutical drugs"?
    I am pretty sure that the mass shooter/big pharma drug thingy is not generally known or understood. It is not talked about in the mainstream news at all and most people remain clueless.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Taking away your guns is a prerequisite for Beto and others who have promised to “force” everyone to bend to their every whim and hair-brained brain fart.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Taking away your guns is a prerequisite for Beto and others who have promised to “force” everyone to bend to their every whim and hair-brained brain fart.

Typically it results in much, MUCH worse than that. Hopefully we can avert all that here.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    You have to admit their intellectual superiority. They've never had a bad idea in their entire lives.

Bump
    Chris

Roughly half the population supports gun owners rights, with certain classification of firearms being up for debate as to whether they are suited for civilian ownership.

The other half, being non-gunowners, could not care less about gun owners rights. They look at firearm ownership, just like everyone else does, through their own prism of life experience, believing that gun ownership is some kind of recreational hobby do be done on a rural range, or that people can call the police for protection.

Lastly, there's a powerful minority - the government, celebrity, and the wealthy elite. The government especially has the most to gain by disarming people, with most who partake in firearm legislation being sociopathic, lying thieves. Politicians and their friends have good reason to always be looking over their shoulders, cause they make a living fking people over. Just as with the celebrity and wealthy elite, their position of power affords them personal security, only its paid for by the state. You see the same attitudes by these people regarding the government school system, which none of them partake in, but I digress...

The way I see it, this is a perpetual battle for as long as there is big government, and people who have no regard for, or sense of personal responsibility towards, self defense. With no government power for the mob to leverage against the other half of the population, and no false sense of government protection, the "civil society" we live in will have a much greater appreciation for the firearm, and will have incentive to look beyond the canned hysteria being dished out by big media and its political allies.

On a related note - gun ownership and activism was growing exponentially until the social media filters were put in place. There has been an orchestrated effort to make these platforms more hostile towards gun owners, or gun enthusiast channels. Incidentally, these same platforms also now favor the mainstream media now, over individual content, so gun grabbers and their well heeled friends have been circling the wagons.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"