Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Dust - Songs you never heard that deserve a second chance

Exclamation Digital Dust - Songs you never heard that deserve a second chance

I'm a big fan of Rick Beato's channel, especially his song appreciation videos of both big hits, but especially songs that are in his massive collection of songs he produced, mixed, or played on but never really got anywhere, like so many artists.

Here's his latest, and I'm going to go back and add some of my favorites of ones he's done before.

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Digital Dust
    Owen Beverly's "For Mia", without commentary
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Rick will be in Seattle over the next few weeks, working with these guys.

If this does not bring a tear to your eye, you're dead...

If Rick had released this in the 90's I'll bet it would have been a hit.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 08-05-2022 at 07:44 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I prefer Digit Rust

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

@dannno

You have, I believe, the world's worst taste in "music".

That was wretched..."it's all toilet noises"

@dannno

You have, I believe, the world's worst taste in "music".

That was wretched..."it's all toilet noises"
    How big is your sub? Watts?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I have to laugh at the title. I hope that was tongue in cheek.

The girls are talented at harmony. It sounds good. They need some help on lyrics, and the song needs a more distinctive and catchy chorus.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I have to laugh at the title. I hope that was tongue in cheek.

The girls are talented at harmony. It sounds good. They need some help on lyrics, and the song needs a more distinctive and catchy chorus.
    I think he's talking more in general about how a lot of the greatest music is lost from mainstream music culture and resides with the fans of largely forgotten bands.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Full album:

Last edited by dannno; 10-02-2022 at 05:41 PM.

I think he's talking more in general about how a lot of the greatest music is lost from mainstream music culture and resides with the fans of largely forgotten bands.
    That's exactly right...or in his case, bands that never had a chance to gain any fans.

They'd record these awesome songs and, for whatever reason, never release them to the public, so they just sat around and collected "digital dust".

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

That's exactly right...or in his case, bands that never had a chance to gain any fans.

They'd record these awesome songs and, for whatever reason, never release them to the public, so they just sat around and collected "digital dust".
    Yeah, that is the topic of the OP video and I get the whole “digital dust” thing. But the title of the one I was commenting on was “the greatest song ever”, which he happened to co-write. I assume that is tongue in cheek. It obviously isn’t “the greatest song ever”. It can’t be. I wrote the greatest song ever, and it went nowhere.

Yeah, that is the topic of the OP video and I get the whole “digital dust” thing. But the title of the one I was commenting on was “the greatest song ever”, which he happened to co-write. I assume that is tongue in cheek. It obviously isn’t “the greatest song ever”. It can’t be. I wrote the greatest song ever, and it went nowhere.
    Incorrect.

This is not the greatest song in the world, no. It is just a tribute. Unfortunately, he couldn't remember it.

How big is your sub?
    I dunno...just had one last night, but never measured it.

How big is a Jersey Mike's Giant #2

It can’t be. I wrote the greatest song ever, and it went nowhere.
    Steve Goodman wrote the greatest Country and Western song ever written, I know that for a fact.

Let's have a video of one of my favorite bands:

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //

@A Son of Liberty

That's Rick playing the solo at the close of "Cardinal Motion".

I've played that song for a bunch of people, including Mrs. AF ("Meh" was her reaction, which is her response to most all of my music tastes...LOL...now to think about it, that's her response to just about anything concerning me.) and the response is always lukewarm.

But for me, there's something about that song that grabbed me from the very first note, and struck some deep emotional chord that still grabs me to this day.

It is a right powerful air.

Let's have a video of one of my favorite bands:
    I went to see Primus at the Greek Theater in Berkeley and the undercard was Cracker and then Butthole Surfers. I had seen Cracker before and was pretty indifferent to them but many in the crowd there that day didn't care for them much. Maybe they were too "MTV" or whatever, I don't know. Cracker got booed a bit and I think a couple things were thrown up on stage. Cracker ended their set with Teen Angst, but they took their time doing it. Just when you thought it would end, they'd reprise a verse and chorus. The Cracker-haters got livid. More boos, etc. Cracker stretched out their MTV hit for what felt like 15 minutes before calling it a night. Shoving that song down the throats of the haters was one of the most punk rock things I've seen. I joined team Cracker that night. I'm still somewhat indifferent to the music, but they've got style -- or at least they did that night. My brother and I still talk about that show to this day.

Raising my glass to Cracker as I click "Submit Reply"
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    I went to see Primus at the Greek Theater in Berkeley and the undercard was Cracker and then Butthole Surfers. I had seen Cracker before and was pretty indifferent to them but many in the crowd there that day didn't care for them much. Maybe they were too "MTV" or whatever, I don't know. Cracker got booed a bit and I think a couple things were thrown up on stage. Cracker ended their set with Teen Angst, but they took their time doing it. Just when you thought it would end, they'd reprise a verse and chorus. The Cracker-haters got livid. More boos, etc. Cracker stretched out their MTV hit for what felt like 15 minutes before calling it a night. Shoving that song down the throats of the haters was one of the most punk rock things I've seen. I joined team Cracker that night. I'm still somewhat indifferent to the music, but they've got style -- or at least they did that night. My brother and I still talk about that show to this day.

Raising my glass to Cracker as I click "Submit Reply"
    Never saw Primus live. Wish I had, as they used to play everywhere (in the Bay Area) for free back in the day. First heard them with Frizzle Fry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast