Thread: The danger of living close to military bases

The danger of living close to military bases

Ft. Rucker is in my area, and my wife's ER sees a lot of soldiers from the post. They train Black Hawk pilots, and run a SEERE school. Three years ago, a soldier who had come from South Korea has a very peculiar respiratory affliction. The CDC got involved, and there was a VERY quiet CDC alert to the medical community.

Three days ago, a soldier came in who had just DEROS'ed from Afghanistan. He'd been in country a week, when he felt like he had the flu. He went to the ER (Rucker has no TMC, and they are all instructed to use the ER). Luckily, one of the doctors there is a retired Army surgeon, and recognized what was wrong with him.

He had Q Fever.

Never heard of it? Don't feel bad, most people haven't. It is extremely rare, with roughly 1,000 cases yearly worldwide. While treatable with heavy antibiotics, even then there is a 10% mortality rate. If left untreated, that % climbs as the bacteria digs into your lungs, liver, and kidneys.

And yes, the CDC is in Birmingham tracking this guy's prior movements right now.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    Ft. Rucker is in my area, and my wife's ER sees a lot of soldiers from the post. They train Black Hawk pilots, and run a SEERE school. Three years ago, a soldier who had come from South Korea has a very peculiar respiratory affliction. The CDC got involved, and there was a VERY quiet CDC alert to the medical community.

Three days ago, a soldier came in who had just DEROS'ed from Afghanistan. He'd been in country a week, when he felt like he had the flu. He went to the ER (Rucker has no TMC, and they are all instructed to use the ER). Luckily, one of the doctors there is a retired Army surgeon, and recognized what was wrong with him.

He had Q Fever.

Never heard of it? Don't feel bad, most people haven't. It is extremely rare, with roughly 1,000 cases yearly worldwide. While treatable with heavy antibiotics, even then there is a 10% mortality rate. If left untreated, that % climbs as the bacteria digs into your lungs, liver, and kidneys.

And yes, the CDC is in Birmingham tracking this guy's prior movements right now.
    We had an outbreak of Q-fever around here a few years ago... Apparently because of high density goat farming. People who were otherwise healthy became afflicted and a couple people even died I think.

I didn't know it was a really infectious disease (human-human transmission) ? It mostly went the same way as 'mexican flu' and 'swine flu'. Lots of hysteria, no mass casualties but a couple individuals with majorly $#@!ed up lives because of it.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 08-03-2016 at 12:38 PM.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    We had an outbreak of Q-fever around here a few years ago... Apparently because of high density goat farming. People who were otherwise healthy became afflicted and a couple people even died I think.

I didn't know it was a really infectious disease (human-human transmission) ? It mostly went the same way as 'mexican flu' and 'swine flu'. Lots of hysteria, no mass casualties but a couple individuals with majorly $#@!ed up lives because of it.
    Human to human is rare, but possible (most commonly sexually). He had a very nasty strain apparently, and spent a few days in ICU fighting for the right to breath. They are most likely just being safe. The scary thing about it is that it can incubate for well over a month.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    Human to human is rare, but possible (most commonly sexually). He had a very nasty strain apparently, and spent a few days in ICU fighting for the right to breath. They are most likely just being safe. The scary thing about it is that it can incubate for well over a month.

It almost sounds like Spirochaete bacteria (Lyme's and Syphilis).
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner