Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does Dicks Sporting Goods Not Consider This An Assault Rifle?

There are several .22 LR guns that the military used in the past and not any more.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...._Armed_Forces

If the point is that the only objective criteria that have ever been used to define something as an assault rifle are silly, arbitrary, cosmetic features, that is a very valid point. The Ruger 10-22 that was shown in the later post (which is semi-auto and not bolt action like the OP) is often modified with features that would make it qualify as an assault weapon based on the usual definitions, without making it the slightest bit more dangerous.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    There are several .22 LR guns that the military used in the past and not any more.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...._Armed_Forces

If the point is that the only objective criteria that have ever been used to define something as an assault rifle are silly, arbitrary, cosmetic features, that is a very valid point. The Ruger 10-22 that was shown in the later post (which is semi-auto and not bolt action like the OP) is often modified with features that would make it qualify as an assault weapon based on the usual definitions, without making it the slightest bit more dangerous.
    Looks like a Remington 597.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    One reason it can be difficult to find a "real gun store" in many areas is that, since the Clinton administration ATF has been embarked upon a deliberate, consistent crusade to put as many licensed gun dealers out of business as possible. In 1994 there were around a quarter million licensed firearms dealers in the US. By 2005 that number had been reduced to approximately 50,000, almost exclusively due to ATF.

ETA: also it should be noted that the overwhelming majority of dealers put out of business by ATF were guilty of no real criminal activity. They were mostly innocent people who got railroaded on minor technical paperwork "violations" or simply trumped up charges that were later proven false or dropped. By then however the innocent dealer was financially bankrupted and so went out of business.
    O'Bummer did the same thing.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You are 100% correct, but there is one thing to note: specs lives in NJ.

So did I until 1990, and even long before the Clintons, there were not a whole lot of gun stores around...being NJ of course, the most restricted state in the country.

When I bought my first guns at 18, there were only two places that I can recall, within roughly an hour's drive, each one county apart: "The Sportsman's Shop" in Neptune and "Jackson Sporting Goods" in Jackson.

ETA - Now that I think about it, there was one other place in Wall, on Rt 35...can't recall the name.
    I think it was Woods & Water , there was another in Wall too but not on the highway . The coin shop in Freehold too sells guns I think.
    Do something Danke

One reason it can be difficult to find a "real gun store" in many areas is that, since the Clinton administration ATF has been embarked upon a deliberate, consistent crusade to put as many licensed gun dealers out of business as possible. In 1994 there were around a quarter million licensed firearms dealers in the US. By 2005 that number had been reduced to approximately 50,000, almost exclusively due to ATF.

ETA: also it should be noted that the overwhelming majority of dealers put out of business by ATF were guilty of no real criminal activity. They were mostly innocent people who got railroaded on minor technical paperwork "violations" or simply trumped up charges that were later proven false or dropped. By then however the innocent dealer was financially bankrupted and so went out of business.
    I have heard real world stories confirming that.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Probably the best use of a NJ gun store would be to get your Sportsman's Guide purchase sent there for pickup .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I think it was Woods & Water , there was another in Wall too but not on the highway . The coin shop in Freehold too sells guns I think.
    I did not know you did time in NJ too.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    O'Bummer did the same thing.

It has been ongoing since the Clinton administration and has not let up. No need to bother banning new gun sales if one has nowhere to purchase, eh?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

I did not know you did time in NJ too.
    I usually avoid anything east of Ohio but on occasion I had to go to NY on business . So I usually stayed in NJ or Upstate NY . There was an orchard down near Freehold where I would get a couple bushels of apples in the fall and that is my one fond memory . The gunshops are amazing for the general lack of guns , choices but they always have a great selection of expensive fishing reels . Out here in the midwest we have Rural King and Dunhams and then every town will have an independant shop . I have a dealer just a few miles down the road from me so if I need something out of the ordinary I start there . Used weapons are where its at though here . No paper trail and it is all legal.
    Do something Danke

It has been ongoing since the Clinton administration and has not let up. No need to bother banning new gun sales if one has nowhere to purchase, eh?
    I think it happened under W too but it may have been reduced, either that or O'Bummer just accelerated it.
    All I know is that it increased under O'Bummer.
    It's about stealth gun control but it's also about destroying the middle class and small businesses.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There was an orchard down near Freehold where I would get a couple bushels of apples in the fall and that is my one fond memory .
    That would be "Delicious Orchards" in Colt's Neck.

They are still in business.

Their Speedi-Dri crumb cakes and cinnamon apple cider donuts are outstanding.

https://www.deliciousorchardsnjonlin...?idCategory=20

https://www.deliciousorchardsnjonlin...?idproduct=381

No paper trail and it is all legal.
    For a little while longer.

I expect the Drunken Monkey will sign "All Transfers" NICS legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    That's much closer to an "assault rifle" than the scary black gun you posted originally. I can empty a 25 round clip through my 10/22 in just a few seconds. I also have the ranch rifle version in .44 magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    That's much closer to an "assault rifle" than the scary black gun you posted originally. I can empty a 25 round clip through my 10/22 in just a few seconds. I also have the ranch rifle version in .44 magnum.
    Can you get a 100 round drum mag for the .44 Mag ?
    Do something Danke

Can you get a 100 round drum mag for the .44 Mag ?
    LOL. It holds 4 in the tube. It isn't my idea of a fun rifle to shoot. I imagine it would be great for hunting pigs or bears though.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    LOL. It holds 4 in the tube. It isn't my idea of a fun rifle to shoot. I imagine it would be great for hunting pigs or bears though.
    Ya , I have an old lever Action five shot rifle I use to hunt black bear .
    Do something Danke

Eventually I want to get another large Cal rifle , but a semi auto so I can get a large qty of mags and just keep them loaded even though I will mostly just use it for big game.. I just have not yet decided . Also I am thinking of getting another 17 Cal just for fun.
    Do something Danke

Eventually I want to get another large Cal rifle , but a semi auto so I can get a large qty of mags and just keep them loaded even though I will mostly just use it for big game.. I just have not yet decided . Also I am thinking of getting another 17 Cal just for fun.
    We use a .17 out here to take out the prarie dogs, that thing is like a freaking laser beam.

Bout to get a .30 '06 soon for the elk behind us, we have a .270 and may just use it, they walk right past within 15-20 yds across the blind we have access to on the river. The deer I could bag one any given day that ends in day from the front porch. We really need to start culling out here, there's been at least 8 collisions directly in front of our property already this year on the highway that runs by, hell my neighbor nailed a fawn just 2 days ago.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For a little while longer.

I expect the Drunken Monkey will sign "All Transfers" NICS legislation.
    I can definitely see that coming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12