Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump calls Puerto Ricans lazy

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Hawaii got wiped out by a hurricane?
    LOL

A Taiwanese ship leaves Taipei for Los Angeles. On its return trip, a shipper asks if it can drop off cargo in Hawaii on the way.

The answer is no.

The leg from Los Angeles to Hawaii is an interstate trip rather than international trip. As such, it would be subject to the Jones Act, which specifies that ships carrying cargo between two American ports must: 1) be built in the United States, 2) be 75 percent owned by U.S. citizens, 3) be 75 percent manned by a U.S. citizen crew, and 4) fly the U.S. flag.

The law, enacted in 1920, nearly 40 years before Hawaii became a state, has become devastating to our economy. Economists say prices for a wide variety of consumer goods could be reduced by as much as 30% on the islands if the law were repealed.

Due in part to the Jones Act, Hawaii has one of the highest costs of living in the nation. Alaska, Guam and Puerto Rico also have unnecessarily high costs of living because of the Jones Act. In fact, because of the Jones Act, many American ranchers buy grain from Canada or Argentina rather than from U.S. farmers. Similarly, it makes more sense for Hawaii ranchers to transport cattle to Canada, rather than waiting for a Jones Act ship to take them to California.

Due to the restrictions placed upon our state by the Jones Act, Hawaii merchants cannot hope to compete in the world marketplace. For example, liquefied natural gas cannot economically be imported despite the state’s critical and growing energy crisis.

Currently, the fleet of U.S. vessels that comply with the Jones Act restrictions has dwindled from 2,300 in 1946 to less than 100 today, and many of those ships are old and among the most expensive in the world to maintain. Moreover, the American shipbuilding industry has all but disappeared – apart from military ships – as 90 percent of the world’s deep draft shipbuilding has moved to China, South Korea and Japan. Japan builds the fewest of those three, but it annually produces twice as many ships per year as exist in the entire Jones Act fleet.

There are many solutions to this problem. Some have proposed a full repeal of the Jones Act, while others believe a targeted ship building exemption might bring tremendous benefits to the American shipping industry itself. What we need is a plan that works, and the Grassroot Institute of Hawaii is poised to research, educate, collaborate, and find real solutions.

At the Grassroot Institute of Hawaii, we believe our state must shake off some remnants of its past to move forward. The Jones Act cripples our economy, restricts our ability to acquire goods, contributes to our ongoing energy crisis and adds perhaps a third to our local costs. A generational shift in the thinking of leadership is required to solve these problems and more.
    http://www.grassrootinstitute.org/20...the-jones-act/

More:
    http://www.hawaiibusiness.com/keepin...the-jones-act/

And what it does to all the states:
    http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...d-and-gasoline
    There is no spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The actual Governor on the actual ground of actual Puerto Rico:

Timestamp 3:33

"Logistical threats we are facing, a lot of the people in Puerto Rico that used to, say for example truck gas or food from one place to the other, have not reported."

Whoopi Goldberg also tried to get the Governor to denounce Trump earlier in the video, and the Governor denied that narrative directly.

Stop buying into the batshirt propaganda.

This has what to do with Puerto Rico, exactly?

I'm anxiously awaiting AF's response for this "libertarian case" for ending American flagged shippers.

I'm all for giving the people what they want in the aviation end, as well.

Let's all get ready for new low cost Liberian and Chinese flag airlines to fly you from Des Moines to all of your favorite domestic destinations.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 10-01-2017 at 11:59 PM.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    I'm anxiously awaiting AF's response for this "libertarian case" for ending American flagged shippers.

I'm all for giving the people what they want in the aviation end, as well.

Let's all get ready for new low cost Liberian and Chinese flag airlines to fly you from Des Moines to all of your favorite domestic destinations.
    I agree; choosing for ourselves would be super difficult if the government allowed us to decide. Probably more trouble than it's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

More proof. Facebook video.

https://www.facebook.com/ProgramaLaV...5755489090191/

Union drivers (Teamsters) refusing to drive, unless they get paid first, up front, and at higher than the going rates.

"Camioneros" = Teamsters

True story.

A PR friend of mine flew DC-3's for an operator down there. He flew some relief flights after an earthquake or hurricane (can't remember) to the Dominican and he was held up for big $$ fees to unload at the airport.

He was pretty outraged by it, but it must be a tradition or a cultural thing down there.

Therefore, we must be sensitive to their traditions and blame ourselves instead.

Former Puerto Rico AG Cut Off By CNN After Accusing San Juan Mayor Of Being A Political Hack

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-01/former-puerto-rico-ag-cut-cnn-after-accusing-san-juan-mayor-being-political-hack

Puerto Rico Cop Says Mayor Of San Juan Sabotaging Hurricane Aid For Political Gain

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-01/puerto-rico-cop-says-mayor-san-juan-sabotaging-hurricane-aid-political-gain
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes. 100% yes. I'm starting to see that Trump Derangement is a real thing. And I still don't like Trump.
    lol. better late than never.

Ender is a piece of dishonnest scatoligical matter. I don't bother even reading his posts. While i still read yours obviously.

More proof. Facebook video.

https://www.facebook.com/ProgramaLaV...5755489090191/

Union drivers (Teamsters) refusing to drive, unless they get paid first, up front, and at higher than the going rates.
    My Spanish needs a little touching up but most the Puerto Ricans on that page are calling bull$#@!.

Here's another video on Facebook that shows Truckers volunteering and with all the Gov/Fema BS, they are virtually being ignored or put through years of red tape by FEMA.

https://www.facebook.com/noticias247...c_location=ufi

Some comments:

……..the truth of the matter is that FEMA has not moved because it is waiting for instructions from above ..... here are the truckers fighting basically offering to work for free to help
    A comment concerning another interview with the same trucker guy:

This is being misrepresented, it should be very clear to all Spanish speaking folks that what the union rep is say,, and I paraphrase:

,, all truckers that can make it to the ports have been ordered to do so, there are some that can't maker it due to damaged roads,
    once they get to the ports they need to fuel up with diesel but FEMA is not allowing the flow of diesel and he feel that the Governor of Puerto Rico should stand up to the federal agencies and give the order to provide the truckers with diesel so they can get going.

So it not about not aid being sent or ships being allowed to dock and unload , its not about having fuel it is about a bureaucracy and red tape that keeps getting in the way of the folks of Puerto Rico doing what they need to do
    And from a US Army Col:

Col. Valle is a firsthand witness of the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) response supporting FEMA in Puerto Rico, and as a Puerto Rican himself with family members living in the devastation, his passion for the people is second to none. “It’s just not true,” Col. Valle says of the major disconnect today between the perception of a lack of response from Washington verses what is really going on on the ground. “I have family here. My parents’ home is here. My uncles, aunts, cousins, are all here. As a Puerto Rican, I can tell you that the problem has nothing to do with the U.S. military, FEMA, or the DoD.”

Put another way, 80% of truck drivers do not show up to work, and yet again, it’s important to understand why.

“There should be zero blame on the drivers. They can’t get to work, the infrastructure is destroyed, they can’t get fuel themselves, and they can’t call us for help because there’s no communication. The will of the people of Puerto Rico is off the charts. The truck drivers have families to take care of, many of them have no food or water. They have to take care of their family’s needs before they go off to work, and once they do go, they can’t call home,” explains Col. Valle.
    It’s a dilemma with dependent conditions. The citizens need fuel and supplies brought in by relief efforts. The truck drivers who move the fuel and supplies from ports and airstrips need fuel and traversable roads—and before anything else they need supplies for their own families.
    Last edited by Ender; 10-02-2017 at 04:15 AM.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I can't copy the tweets
    Please realize who it is you are conversing with here, guys. Try to have some kindness and sympathy. And maybe consider better uses of your time? People are who they are. You can't make them smarter, you can't change genetics. We all have our intellectual limits. Would you go down to the Downs Syndrome Center and get into heated, angry arguments with the patients? Come on.

Let it go.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm watching videos of actual Puerto Ricans, IN Puerto Rico.

As a person of integrity, who am I supposed to believe? Some random blogs, or the actual people in PR
    Uncle in PR. High up, so OK (though bark was ripped off trees!).

Trump totally right. Leftist harpy totally wrong. Also totally corrupt, totally evil. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Uncle in PR. High up, so OK (though bark was ripped off trees!).

Trump totally right. Leftist harpy totally wrong. Also totally corrupt, totally evil. End of story.
    Actual Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico volunteering to drive trucks:

There is no spoon.

Actual Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico volunteering to drive trucks:

And if they were Teamsters with a CDL they may have even been allowed to.

And if they were Teamsters with a CDL they may have even been allowed to.
    FEMA is the blocker.

My whole purpose for posting on this thread is pretty much what @William Tell said on the Vegas thread.

Originally Posted by William Tell
    This is so sad, so many people dead and hurt. One of the strangest things about America these days is how we never seem unified in grief, after a tragedy all sides pounce to blame and point fingers at other groups and their violent nature or lack thereof. These events are beyond politicized. We all seem so numb. It'd be nice if we as a culture could set everything aside for a day and show some comfort. Maybe I'm just a sentimentalist but good grief guys, there ought to be more celebration for this short gift we call life and mourning for the loss of it.

May God comfort the hurting and have mercy on us all.
    "Let's take care of the people & deal with issues later, instead of tweeting insults" is my whole stance.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Please realize who it is you are conversing with here, guys. Try to have some kindness and sympathy. And maybe consider better uses of your time? People are who they are. You can't make them smarter, you can't change genetics. We all have our intellectual limits. Would you go down to the Downs Syndrome Center and get into heated, angry arguments with the patients? Come on.

Let it go.
    Riiiight- like YOU did by neg repping me.

How sweet.
    There is no spoon.

Neighboring mayor praises Trump, says San Juan mayor playing ‘politics,’ AWOL at meetings

The mayor of a Puerto Rican city that sits next to San Juan praised the administration’s help Saturday night, and chided the “politics” of San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz, who has been criticizing President Trump.
    In an interview with Secrets, Guaynabo Mayor Angel Perez Otero said that in several meetings with FEMA and U.S. military officials about the recovery effort, Yulin Cruz has been absent. “I’ve seen other mayors participating. She’s not,” said Perez Otero.
    Despite days of praise for the government’s effort from Puerto Rico’s governor, Yulin Cruz has become the new face of the island in the media with her sharp criticism of the administration’s efforts.
    Asked if he has seen similar shortfalls and non-communication from the administration, Perez Otero said “that’s not been my experience.” He added, “There is a lot of politics in Puerto Rico.”

More at: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ne...rticle/2636185
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Riiiight- like YOU did by neg repping me.

How sweet.
    I did?

Ah yes, I did. I had to check. Well, whatever. I usually don't. Would you like me to +rep you back again, Ender, sometime once I can, to make up for it?

Would that make you feel better?

It probably would. I'll try to remember, Ender.

I'm all about making the world a better place. I apologize for ruining your day with my "rep"ping. I really don't care.

In fact, so that he doesn't have to wait (waiting is really, really hard!), could a bunch of you +rep Ender for me right now? Like, as many as possible. Let's get Ender on the Leaderboard as the top-repped guy on RPF. OK? Sound like a good plan?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    EM.
    Cruz claimed so in TV interview. Trump did imply that in above posted tweet though have not seen actual L-word in his tweets.
    The implication I got from that tweet was that he was calling Cruz lazy. Given my understanding of the facts on the ground, I would call her "obstructionist and opportunistic" rather than lazy, but considering that this was directed to her and har allies explicitly I'm not seeing the cause for offense. Read in context he was clearly not referring to 'Puerto Ricans in general,' particularly given how his comment was in conjunction with some heaping praise for other leaders in the territory.

If I had bent over backwards to put tens of millions of dollars worth of aid on the ground and then this dizzy which went about obstructing it's delivery to make political hay, I'd be pretty doggone pissed too.

Here is Ron Paul explaining the Jones Act & how

How Government Increases Suffering

Brian has also posted this in the Ron Paul Forum
    There is no spoon.

And here is an article from Snopes that shows where the Trucker Strike" stuff came from and also shows that is not true.

Reports that truck drivers are on strike in Puerto Rico are false -- Teamsters have asked mainland truckers to distribute supplies in the U.S. territory.

CLAIM
    In September 2017, truck drivers' unions in Puerto Rico went on strike and refused to take part in relief efforts after a series of hurricanes.

RATING
    FALSE

ORIGIN
    With Puerto Rico experiencing a humanitarian and infrastructural crisis in the aftermath of a series of hurricanes, a flurry of stories appeared at the end of September 2017 falsely claiming that a local union representing truck drivers had gone on strike, using the devastation to leverage an improvement in their pay and working conditions.

On 30 September 2017, the Conservative Treehouse blog quoted extensively (but selectively) from comments given to the Huffington Post by United States Air Force Colonel Michael Valle:

“The aid is getting to Puerto Rico. The problem is distribution. The federal government has sent us a lot of help; moving those supplies, in particular, fuel, is the issue right now,” says Col. Valle. Until power can be restored, generators are critical for hospitals and shelter facilities and more. But, and it’s a big but, they can’t get the fuel to run the generators.

They have the generators, water, food, medicine, and fuel on the ground, yet the supplies are not moving across the island as quickly as they’re needed.
    “It’s a lack of drivers for the transport trucks, the 18 wheelers. Supplies we have. Trucks we have. There are ships full of supplies backed up in the ports, waiting to have a vehicle to unload into. However, only 20% of the truck drivers show up to work. These are private citizens in Puerto Rico, paid by companies that are contracted by the government,” says Col. Valle.

The Conservative Treehouse then went on to claim, again falsely, that the cause of this shortfall in truck drivers was a deliberate, coordinated strike action by the local Teamsters union. Similar claims were also made by the Gateway Pundit and entrepreneur Kambree Kawahine Koa.

The International Brotherhood of Teamsters rejected these claims entirely, telling us the reports were “fake news” and adding that the Teamsters Local 901 in Puerto Rico was “doing everything but refuse to help” in relief efforts.

In a statement, Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa called the reports “nothing but lies”:

These viral stories spreading across the internet are nothing but lies perpetrated by anti-union entities to further their destructive agenda. The fact that they are attempting to capitalize on the suffering of millions of citizens in Puerto Rico that are in dire need of our help by pushing these false stories, just exposes their true nature.

On 29 September 2017, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters issued a plea for help to members throughout the mainland United States, describing the efforts being made by local truck drivers in Puerto Rico, in the face of infrastructural devastation:

The Teamsters are doing what they can to improve the lives of our members there. That includes working with Joint Council 16 as well as Local 901 leadership in San Juan to identify ways how the union can help. The Teamsters are also joining together with labor unions from across the nation to identify skilled workers to travel to Puerto Rico next week to provide much needed support in critical areas.

There is currently a need for volunteer truck drivers who hold a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) to transport shipping containers from the port to distribution centers throughout the island. Additionally, the Teamsters Freight, Airline, Passenger Transport, Package, Public Services and Waste Divisions are contacting Teamster employers that operate in Puerto Rico and our local unions throughout the U.S. and Canada to identify avenues of support and volunteers.

At this time, it is unclear if there are trucks available to move the containers, fuel to operate the trucks or road access to the distribution centers. However, the labor movement is working on the ground in Puerto Rico to bring volunteers to meet specific needs.

Indeed, Colonel Michael Valle — one of the sources cited by the Conservative Treehouse — went on to tell the Huffington Post:

"There should be zero blame on the drivers. They can’t get to work, the infrastructure is destroyed, they can’t get fuel themselves, and they can’t call us for help because there’s no communication. The will of the people of Puerto Rico is off the charts. The truck drivers have families to take care of, many of them have no food or water. They have to take care of their family’s needs before they go off to work, and once they do go, they can’t call home."

A CNBC report cited in the Conservative Treehouse post also undermines the claim that there was a strike. As the reporter explains:
    There are 3,000 cargo containers here at Crowley, one of the biggest shippers in Puerto Rico…Here’s the problem – the truck drivers can’t get to the terminal to get their containers out…You’re looking at truck drivers who can’t be reached by their businesses by cell phone, they don’t have the gas to get to work, and then even when they do get to work, their semi-trucks don’t have fuel. The problem is the supply chain.

Contrary to all this, the Conservative Treehouse claims that the local Teamsters union, which the article (again, falsely) identifies as Frente Amplio, “is refusing to move the product.” A spokesperson for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters confirmed that Frente Amplio is an independent truck drivers’ union in Puerto Rico and is not affiliated with the Teamsters in any way.

In any event, the Conservative Treehouse cites a Wapa TV interview with Victor Rodriguez, President of Frente Amplio, as evidence of a strike by truck drivers. In fact, it is evidence of no such thing. In the interview, Rodriguez criticizes Puerto Rico’s governor Ricardo Rosselló for a law he signed in April that changed how truck drivers obtain permits, but he does not declare strike action or a refusal to work on the part of Frente Amplio members. He says:
    The truckers are doing what they need to do. The one not doing what he needs to do is the governor.

Rodriguez states that his organization had actually called off a planned strike before the arrival of Hurricane Irma, which caused widespread infrastructural damage to Puerto Rico in early September.

The governor of Puerto Rico was lucky — three weeks before Irma there was going to be a strike because of the law he passed.

At one point, Rodriguez does point to the power and leverage held by his members, saying:
    The power is with the truckers. If the truckers don’t move, this country won’t move for two years.

However, he does not declare a strike or refusal to work and affirms “the truckers are going to work,” in this exchange with Wapa TV’s Eliezer Ramos:
    Ramos: Are you telling me that truck drivers are not reporting to work because of a law?
    Rodriguez: No, we’re doing what we need to do.
    Ramos: But you just said that because of a law –
    Rodriguez: No, excuse me, the truckers are going to work, and I expect truck drivers in the country to keep working with the people, who made it possible for us to use the roads.

Puerto Rico’s Teamsters Local 901 are not on strike or refusing to work, and they are in fact pleading with truck drivers on the United States mainland to help in the distribution of fuel and supplies there.

The Conservative Treehouse’s claims about this are based on cherry-picked quotes from a United States Air Force Colonel and a CNBC reporter, both of whose full remarks make clear that truck drivers in Puerto Rico are hampered by severe problems with infrastructure and distribution, but are not refusing to work.

On 2 October 2017, a government spokesperson also refuted the rumor in an interview posted by CBS News reporter David Begnaud on Twitter saying, “Everyone’s working and the supplies are getting to where they have to.”

http://www.snopes.com/puerto-rico-teamsters/
    There is no spoon.

Let me just say that I have lived long enough to see a lot of death and tragedy happen in the world. It almost never fails that when there is some kind of event, the powerful want to show themselves powerful, whether they are right or wrong. The older I get, the more I notice how power is more firmly concentrated at the top than it was 40 years ago. This is why nothing ever gets done.

Granted Trump is wealthy and powerful but he is not one of *them*. *They* don't like him because he is now in a position to shake up that little enclave of power.

I'm not fond of Trump, but I see that he has a part to play here.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

And here is an article from Snopes that shows where the Trucker Strike" stuff came from and also shows that is not true.
    LOL "Snopes"

Mobster Hoffa probably wrote the article himself.

LOL "Snopes"

Mobster Hoffa probably wrote the article himself.
    But Facebook is better, amirite?

I have earlier posts that go directly to the Teamsters Union etc. and to the Army Col that is quoted in Snopes.
    There is no spoon.

Do you really think that a Snopes reference will be taken seriously here at RPF? Or anywhere?

Making your case will require more credible sources than this.

But Facebook is better, amirite?

I have earlier posts that go directly to the Teamsters Union etc. and to the Army Col that is quoted in Snopes.
    And you think Jimmy Hoffa is a reliable source regarding Teamster misconduct?

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Have you been there? I've been there twice and never have I had so many scam attempts against me at various establishments. The rental car place tried to double charge me. A restaurant added a 20% tip automatically to my bill and still left the tip line blank, hoping I wouldn't notice and double tip them. A bar poured a tequila shot in a small shot glass but poured a native guy a bigger glass. There were other examples I can't think of offhand. They look at mainland gringos as marks to be taken advantage of. Most definitely corrupt, at least if you're not a Puerto Rican.
    None of those are different than here. Seems like every car rental place tries to screw you. Especially the cheaper ones like Thirfty. Many restaurants add 20% tip and leave the tip line blank. I just ate at a local place that did this last week. And tourists to any place always get overcharged and treated more poorly than locals. None of these examples impute to the Puerto Ricans some special level of corruption as a people. Indeed, judging millions off the few negative experiences you had is a collectivist error.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Do you really think that a Snopes reference will be taken seriously here at RPF? Or anywhere?

Making your case will require more credible sources than this.
    Ad hominem fallacy. Your inability to refute the claim or evidence doesn't disappear just because you attack the source.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast