Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now I understand Bitcoin?

Now I understand Bitcoin?

If you are invested in bitcoin or bitcoin companies, then it's better than banking. If you are a banker, then it's not. If you are a criminal, it's better than banking. If you aren't, you just take a picture of a personal check with your phone.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You mean if I'm selling something to someone, or transferring money, they need a checking account, and I need a bank account with that service + cell phone with camera + set up the banking app to do that, and then I have to wait for approval of the check clearing from my bank, and pay a transaction fee of a couple of dollars.

To appear legal to you.

There are people who are not criminals who value privacy. Even if they are wrong, they put value into it. That makes the service valuable. Like insurance or add on protection plans at Best Buy. They are not a good deal from a mathematical consumer standpoint but they are profitable anyway, because people value the protection and freedom from responsibility of saving/having enough money for replacements.

So BTC value comes from value of privacy and value of saving on transaction fees. Where else does its value come from?

People who value using it instead of banks for other reasons. Bank haters and people who just like using new technologies.

Also, speculation.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    Also, speculation.
    I AM SORRY THAT YOU GOT A BITCOIN TATTOO ON YOUR FACE AND NOW YOU MUST RATIONALIZE YOUR DECISION WIT SELECTIVE VISION AND ILLOGIC

You mean if I'm selling something to someone, or transferring money, they need a checking account, and I need a bank account with that service + cell phone with camera + set up the banking app to do that, and then I have to wait for approval of the check clearing from my bank, and pay a transaction fee of a couple of dollars.
    You mean if I'm selling something to someone, or transferring money, they need a bitcoin address, and I need a bitcoin address + computer or cellphone to transfer bitcoins + know how to use them, and then I have to wait for a blockchain, and pay a smaller transaction fee.

To appear legal to you.
    To ensure that I appear as terrorist.

To appear legal to you.

There are people who are not criminals who value privacy. Even if they are wrong, they put value into it. That makes the service valuable. Like insurance or add on protection plans at Best Buy. They are not a good deal from a mathematical consumer standpoint but they are profitable anyway, because people value the protection and freedom from responsibility of saving/having enough money for replacements.

So BTC value comes from value of privacy and value of saving on transaction fees. Where else does its value come from?

People who value using it instead of banks for other reasons. Bank haters and people who just like using new technologies.

Also, speculation.
    Bitcoin is the opposite of private, every transaction ever for any coffee or 10 cent tip you give is permanently on the Block Chain.

Also, Paypal seems to be pretty easy to send money/buy things as it is, I don't really see why Bitcoin is necessary.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    Bitcoin is the opposite of private, every transaction ever for any coffee or 10 cent tip you give is permanently on the Block Chain.

Also, Paypal seems to be pretty easy to send money/buy things as it is, I don't really see why Bitcoin is necessary.
    Paypal has a long history of questionable decisions on matters. They can, and have, locked people's accounts for no apparent reason. Checks can be accepted electronically and still bounce. Credit cards can have a chargeback for up to a few months after the fact. I used to accept CC for services and have been hit by chargebacks. Bitcoin is the digital cash equivalent - the sender can not renig on a later date.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Paypal has a long history of questionable decisions on matters. They can, and have, locked people's accounts for no apparent reason. Checks can be accepted electronically and still bounce. Credit cards can have a chargeback for up to a few months after the fact. I used to accept CC for services and have been hit by chargebacks. Bitcoin is the digital cash equivalent - the sender can not renig on a later date.
    Why would a buyer choose to use Bitcoin over Paypal when he has fraud protection with Paypal?

Coinbase is worse than Paypal as far as regulations/KYC/identity requirements.

I can understand if you mined a bunch of bitcoin 5 years ago its much better than Paypal, but for the average consumer to spend dollars for bitcoin does not make any sense currently unless they are wildly speculating on "moon" prices to come.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Why would a buyer choose to use Bitcoin over Paypal when he has fraud protection with Paypal?

Coinbase is worse than Paypal as far as regulations/KYC/identity requirements.

I can understand if you mined a bunch of bitcoin 5 years ago its much better than Paypal, but for the average consumer to spend dollars for bitcoin does not make any sense currently unless they are wildly speculating on "moon" prices to come.
    PayPal uses USD, etc, while Bitcoin uses btc?

Some prefer the safety that comes with complete financial servitude, FDIC.

Some desire to pay a middleman, in case their payments backfire when blindly sending money to unscrupulous entities, PayPal.

Now to find where Bitcoin fits in.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL @ thread.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

I don't really see why Bitcoin is necessary.
    Why is bitcoin a deflationary currency?
    Why is the USD an inflationary currency?

Which is a better store of value, a deflationary currency or an inflationary currency?

That is why its necessary.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

Which is a better store of value, a deflationary currency or an inflationary currency?

They print 3600 BTC a day at a current market rate of $828,000 per day in network subsidies
    The past years makes BTC look pretty inflationary

Even at face value, in the long run you saying people should own BTC because its deflationary, if it doesn't have other value then simply than being rare like hundreds of other Alt-Coins out there (Dogecoin, Litecoin, etc), that doesn't mean it will increase in value.

People can already send millions across the world for nearly free (SWIFT/SEPA transfer), Paypal is far superior to Bitcoin when comparing the two, what buyer would choose to buy goods without buyer protection if they could simply use Paypal which does that purpose. Even with Silk Road and buying drugs on the internet there is still a permanent public record of all transactions, and its quite easy to figure out "tumblers" and trace coins.

It seems Bitcoin purpose now is to make early investors/holders rich by pumping it up and getting new people to invest $828,000 each day to simply keep the price stable now at $230. Its difficult to call Bitcoin a currency when it has very little acceptance and use case.

I see the libertarian argument for Bitcoin, that it is decentralized and the Federal reserve can't simply print money out of thing air, however right now coin mining is extremely centralized to mega asic warehouse miners in China, so why am I to trust these guys and what if they gang up for a 51% attack, or they are compromised by their respective governments, and the miner subsidy makes transactions extremely expensive at around $10 per transaction ... so that cost to buy a pack of gum at the store with Bitcoins costs $10 just in network fee/subsidies.
    Last edited by squarepusher; 01-23-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

The past years makes BTC look pretty inflationary

I don't think you grasp what inflation is.

When priced in BTC a pizza used to cost 10,000 BTC in 2010.

now, 2015, it costs 0.05 BTC.

Thats deflation. Your money is worth more.

A $10 pizza in 2010

now cost $15 in 2015.

That's inflation. Your money is worth less.

BTC Deflation:
    Your money buys more with each passing year (note log scale)

USD Inflation:
    Your money becomes more like toilet paper with every passing year

Last edited by presence; 01-23-2015 at 06:17 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

the point of bitcoin is to have a currency outside of the control of the current financial elite. I and many others see value in this and thus btc has value. If you dont see value in this feel free to take your ball and go home, that's the beauty of the free market.
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

- Claude Frιdιric Bastiat

USD Inflation:
    Idk, I think toilet paper might have more intrinsic value than gold.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

I don't think you grasp what inflation is.

When priced in BTC a pizza used to cost 10,000 BTC in 2010.

now, 2015, it costs 0.05 BTC.

Thats deflation. Your money is worth more.

A $10 pizza in 2010

now cost $15 in 2015.

That's inflation. Your money is worth less.

BTC Deflation:
    Your money buys more with each passing year (note log scale)

USD Inflation:

presence your main argument seems to be that Bitcoin will appreciate in value and make you rich (todamoon!) if you invest in it, how come Bitcoin is down 80% for the last year though? It seems like it could just be a speculative bubble like Beanie Babies or Tulips

Quote Originally Posted by enter`name`here View Post
    the point of bitcoin is to have a currency outside of the control of the current financial elite. I and many others see value in this and thus btc has value. If you dont see value in this feel free to take your ball and go home, that's the beauty of the free market.
    Except if you want to acquire Bitcoin you have to go through regulations far stricter than than Paypal. I opened a Coinbase account in December just for fun to try out some Bitcoins, and after giving them nearly every piece of information about me including my mom's blood type, they mysteriously will not let me purchase coins due to "security reason" which still isn't resolved (thats over 1 month).
    Every financial institution that deals with Bitcoin guarantee has relationship with FBI/Homeland Security/NSA/IRS and nearly every 3 letter agency you can think of.

Or you could just invest 200k in a mining warehouse operation and mine your own coins right? Or I could just send my money to Slovenia or MtGox and hope for the best/knock on wood right?

And, once you do obtain your Bitcoins, if you somehow manage to follow the steps and month long process above, good luck securing them from hackers! No chargebacks or reverses literally makes Bitcoin the hacker/scammers dream. Or you could just follow this simple 24 process to secure your coinz

https://ww.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comm...bitcoins_in_a/
    Please note, this is only for storing your bitcoins safely offline. It is not a guide to having a secure offline wallet for everyday use.Also note, there is a million other ways to store your coins offline - I am sure some will be suggested in the comments, however this guide is aimed at simplicity, ease of use and paranoia of loosing coins. However, there are more secure ways of generating private keys than used in this guide, but I think most will agree the method used here is very, very safe.
    Ever since I got a few coins I've been wanting to secure them properly offline, but haven't gotten around to it before now. I made this guide because I know it would have helped me, so hopefully it can help someone else sparing some time or even better securing their coins in a safer way.This guide is intended for the new user, explaining every step thouroughly in the process. It does not involve using specialized software such as Armory or Electrum, however it requires a certain amount of technical know-how (such as changing settings in the bios of a computer).
    I HIGHLY SUGGEST TESTING THE METHOD BY COMPLETING THE GUIDE WITH A SMALL AMOUT FIRST. ONLY THEN, REPEAT THE PROCESS WHEN YOU FEEL CERTAIN YOU KNOW AND UNDERSTAND, WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
    WHAT THIS GUIDE WILL DOCreate a multisignature M-of-N Shamirs Sharing Secret address to which you will send the coins you want to store. Store the private keys on printed paper and on USB sticks, ready to be distributed to people you trust, bank deposit boxes or something similar.This is done through an offline Linux invironment, using well known open source software to generate the private keys.
    WHAT YOU NEED
    • Bitcoins ready to send to the cold storage address. This could be on an exchange (i.e. Bitstamp), in a hot wallet (i.e. Blockchain) or elsewhere.
    • A(n old) computer. For maximum security (paranoia) a computer that has never been connected to the internet.
    • An online computer.
    • Three or four USB sticks. Brand new or formatted.
    • A printer that can connect to the computer by cable.

STEP BY STEP GUIDEON YOUR ONLINE COMPUTER
    1. Download Linux Mint .iso file by going to this webpage and click on a proxy near you. (Please note, if your offline computer is a 32bit system, you need to go here instead)

2. Download Universal USB Installer by clicking this link.

3. Insert a USB stick in your computer and run the program Universal USB Installer. Select Linux Mint, the iso file you downloaded in 1. and the flash drive in each of the drop down menus.
    ON YOUR OFFLINE (OLD) OFFLINE COMPUTER
    4. Get into the bios. If possible, disable all wifi. Set boot priority to USB before disk storage.
    5. Insert the USB stick you made in 3 and boot the machine in Linux Mint.

6. On the desktop is a file that reads "Install Linux Mint". Double click. Choose to erase the disk and install Linux Mint. When prompted, select the "Overwrite free disk space" option. (Can't remember if that's the exact wording).

7. Pull out the USB and reboot in Linux Mint from the Hard Drive.
    ON YOUR ONLINE COMPUTER
    8. Insert the USB stick and format it.

9. Download www.bitaddress.org by clicking this link.

10. Extract the folder and copy it to the USB stick.
    ON YOUR OFFLINE (OLD) OFFLINE COMPUTER
    11. Insert the USB stick and run the file bitaddress.org.html

12. Move the mouse around until you see the menu tabs. Go to the Split Wallet tab

13. Select the number of shares you want to distribute and the amount of keys needed to re-create the private key. I did 4 and 2 - that way I hold two shares in separate locations and gave the last two to different family members.

14. Shrink the Firefox window so only share1 is visible. Hit Alt + Print Screen and save the screendump to the desktop.

15. Repeat this for the other shares as well as the address.

16. Connect the printer to the computer and install it though the Start -> Printers menu (works 99% as in Windows).

17. Print each screendump to seperate peaces of paper.
    18. Insert a new USB stick and copy the bitaddress.org-master folder and the share1 screendump to the USB stick.
    19. Do the same for the amount of shares you have on separate USB sticks.

20. Laminate the $#@! out of each paper.

21. Insert the USB stick you made in step 3. and boot the computer.

22. Repeat step 6. This will format the offline computer once again removing the information of all the shares.

23. Now you have a set of each share comtaining a paper print and an image on a USB stick. Distribute the set of shares in various locations that you can trust.

24. Send your bitcoins to the Address the way you prefer. From an exchange, a hot wallet or something else.

WHEN YOU NEED THE COINS AGAINWhen you need the funds, simply go to the "Split Wallet" tab on bitaddress.org on your offline computer and insert the shares in the bottom white space separated and generate the private key. This can then be used to sweep or import to your preferred bitcoin wallet service in the future.
    Last edited by squarepusher; 01-23-2015 at 08:04 PM.

Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Bitcoin is a store of value? Relative to the dollar, it has lost over three quarters of its value in the last year.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-23-2015 at 09:02 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    presence your main argument seems to be that Bitcoin will appreciate in value and make you rich (todamoon!) if you invest in it, how come Bitcoin is down 80% for the last year though? It seems like it could just be a speculative bubble like Beanie Babies or Tulips
    Could be. Here's 2014 in log perspective since 2010.

I don't hold BTC. I trade it.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTSRSLY View Post
    You mean if I'm...
    You mean if I put curtains on my windows, then I have something to hide?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Bitcoin has a tiny advantage for the average consumer, a mass of early adopters with inflated perception of its advantage, a mass of major money players invested in its future, and a major advantage for the merchant, assuming traditional payment methods can't afford to compete with the low transaction fees.

It has a fundamental advantage in that it cannot be counterfeited or inflated. It has untapped value of what the technology can do (public ledger with self-interested individuals maintaining it). It has upside in that it will only become more useful and easy to use, while traditional payment methods have settled in at .50 - 2.00 per transaction as the viable model for those technologies.

The question 'does it have value' is too often conflated with 'should I invest in it.' Many folks see or saw it's value and decided that meant it was time to invest. Leaves a strange landscape, when a high percentage of the populist uprising have gotten burned
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTSRSLY View Post
    If you are invested in bitcoin or bitcoin companies, then it's better than banking. If you are a banker, then it's not. If you are a criminal, it's better than banking. If you aren't, you just take a picture of a personal check with your phone.
    yes man..and now you can get some new cryptocurrency and make big money!

see
    www.leocoin.org
    and
    www.buy-leocoin.org

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Bitcoin is a store of value? Relative to the dollar, it has lost over three quarters of its value in the last year.
    Bitcoin was $275 when this post was written, it has gone up around 4,000% compared to today's value.

If bitcoin were to make another 4,000% gain from today's value, it would be at $450k
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Bitcoin was $275 when this post was written, it has gone up around 4,000% compared to today's value.

If bitcoin were to make another 4,000% gain from today's value, it would be at $450k
    You'd finally be able to afford your favorite senior pads.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    You'd finally be able to afford your favorite senior pads.
    If by "senior pads" you mean a mansion in Puerto Rico, you would be correct.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If by "senior pads" you mean a mansion in Puerto Rico, you would be correct.
    I need a place to crash in PR.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I need a place to crash in PR.
    Noted.

You wanna go down there and do some investing? They have 0% capital gains tax.

It was also as high as $20,000 and wend to $3200- a loss of 84%. If it follows that trend, it could be worth a nickel. Its value is not constant but constantly changing. That is not a "store of value".

Noted.

You wanna go down there and do some investing? They have 0% capital gains tax.
    On the plus side, it only took a year to get electricity back for everybody following that hurricane. Housing and other infrastructure still not all rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    It was also as high as $20,000 and wend to $3200- a loss of 84%. If it follows that trend, it could be worth a nickel. Its value is not constant but constantly changing. That is not a "store of value".
    No, if it follows the trend, it will go up 4,000%, then go back down 84%, then the next run up will be to $4 million. Then it will settle back down to $1-2 million.

No, if it follows the trend, it will go up 4,000%, then go back down 84%, then the next run up will be to $4 million. Then it will settle back down to $1-2 million.
    How many people would be able to buy a bitcoin if the price of one was $4 million? Or even $1- 2 million a pop?

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-07-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast