Thread: COFFEE RUST Crisis in South America

COFFEE RUST Crisis in South America

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...fee-emergency/

"We have planted 667,000 acres (270,000 hectares) of coffee and of that 477,000 acres (193,000 hectares) have rust, affecting 70 percent of the total," he added.
    background:
    http://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/intro...offeeRust.aspx
    Last edited by presence; 02-09-2013 at 07:41 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Between this and the devalued dollar it's not unreasonable to expect $25.00lb Folgers by fall....

Might be a good investment...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Between this and the devalued dollar it's not unreasonable to expect $25.00lb Folgers by fall....

Time to buy bulk. Nothing gets between me and my coffee.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    Time to buy bulk. Nothing gets between me and my coffee.

Same here............Getting old and worrying about which stimulants are legal sucks

I am sure somebody will read this and wonder how a non-metallic biological life form can rust. To clear up the confusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(fungus)
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

NOOOOoooooooo...........

"The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

I strongly disagree. Coffee is very reslient to supply shocks, probably due to the enormous supply available for coffee, being a known cash crop throughout every hemisphere. Inflation, however, has proven to take its toll on something as ubiquitous as coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmyprez_deo_vindice View Post
    I am sure somebody will read this and wonder how a non-metallic biological life form can rust. To clear up the confusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(fungus)
    Thanks I was confused. I thought maybe the water supply was coating it with rust.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hope it doesn't spread to the Rwanda crops.

Just say no to drugs! (caffeine)

buy up coffee and hoard it... itll be worth like gold.

Dollars stores sell whole bottles of caffeine pills for a dollar. If you buy in bulk, you might even be able to get caffeine cheaper online.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

I wonder what the % of people in this country is that consume coffee? I'm water only (outside of alcohol) and I'm well aware at how popular coffee is for the morning crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    I wonder what the % of people in this country is that consume coffee? I'm water only (outside of alcohol) and I'm well aware at how popular coffee is for the morning crowd.
    I require a pot minimum to function........And that's strong coffee.

i think coffee and chocolate will become luxury food items soon. supply stays moderately the same, population grows.

All you guys need to invest in growing your own coffee beans. That's what I do.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mmfmj View Post
    i think coffee and chocolate will become luxury food items soon. supply stays moderately the same, population grows.
    If the price of coffee gets too high, more people will switch to energy drinks, soda, tea or caffeine pills. I'm sure everything will work out. I see more of an issue with chocolate as the alternative options are potentially more limited.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Thanks to speculators, who remove volatility from the market, you won't be able to profit from that. That shortage is already priced in by the market. You can only profit from information that is not available to everybody else too.

Or to put it differently, it doesn't make any sense to buy now if you fear higher prices. If coffee is so durable that you can stock it, every seller can do the same and would have already done it, in which case today's prices already include the additional demand because of the coming supply shortage.

KONA coffee is $20 a pound... I buy wholesale direct from the main island

only a matter of time before the DC subsidies/corporate welfare to Starbucks, et al, start flowing to keep prices down.

PS: Starbucks coffee doesn't get my business
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

I just buy whatever is on sale @ Aldi , usually , for the small can , around $1.90, or a half gallon of gas ...