Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Patriots' Day 2020, April 18

Happy Patriots' Day 2020, April 18

How Preachers Incited Revolution
    Harry S. Stout

"Angry colonists were rallied to declare independence and take up arms because of what they heard from the pulpit."

No turning back.
    At the Battle of Bunker Hill (June 17, 1775) Americans suffered 441 casualties and the British 1,150. Though a strategic victory for the British, English nerve was shaken, the colonists were emboldened, and any hope for peaceful reconciliation was lost.

It's 1775. The year 1787, with its novel constitution and separation of church and state is a long 12 years away. At the moment, you and your friends are just a bunch of outlaws.

You've heard the debates in Parliament over taxation and representation; you've seen British troops enforce royal supremacy at the point of a bayonet. Your king, George III, and Parliament have issued a declaration asserting their sovereignty in "all cases whatsoever" in the colonies. You are, at least in New England, a people under siege with British troops quartered in Boston. You've dumped tea into Boston's harbor in a fit of rage and had your port closed.

Who will you turn to now for direction? There are no presidents or vice-presidents, no supreme court justices or public defenders to call on. There are a handful of young, radical lawyers, like the Adams cousins, John and Samuel, but they're largely concentrated in cities, while you and most of your friends live in the country. In many colonies, including Massachusetts, there are not even elected governors or councilors--they have all been appointed by the British crown and are answerable to it.

Where you turn is where you have habitually turned for over a century: to the prophets of your society, your ministers.

The American Revolutionary era is known as the "Golden Age of Oratory." What school child has not heard or read Patrick Henry's immortal words, "Give me liberty or give me death"? Who has not seen reenactments or heard summaries of Ben Franklin's heroic appearance before a hostile British Parliament?

Yet often lost in this celebration of patriotic oratory is the key role preaching played in the Revolutionary movement.

TV, INTERNET AND MORE
    A few broad statistics can help us appreciate more fully the unique power the sermon wielded in Revolutionary America.

Over the span of the colonial era, American ministers delivered approximately 8 million sermons, each lasting one to one-and-a-half hours. The average 70-year-old colonial churchgoer would have listened to some 7,000 sermons in his or her lifetime, totaling nearly 10,000 hours of concentrated listening. This is the number of classroom hours it would take to receive ten separate undergraduate degrees in a modern university, without ever repeating the same course!

The pulpits were Congregational and Baptist in New England; Presbyterian, Lutheran, and German Reformed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey; and Anglican and Methodist in the South. But no matter the denomination, colonial congregations heard sermons more than any other form of oratory. The colonial sermon was prophet, newspaper, video, Internet, community college, and social therapist all wrapped in one. Such was the range of its influence on all aspects of life that even contemporary television and personal computers pale in comparison.

Eighteenth-century America was a deeply religious culture that lived self-consciously “under the cope of heaven.” In Sunday worship, and weekday (or “occasional”) sermons, ministers drew the populace into a rhetorical world that was more compelling and immediate than the physical settlements surrounding them. Sermons taught not only the way to personal salvation in Christ but also the way to temporal and national prosperity for God’s chosen people.

Events were perceived not from the mundane, human vantage point but from God’s. The vast majority of colonists were Reformed or Calvinist, to whom things were not as they might appear at ground level: all events, no matter how mundane or seemingly random, were parts of a larger pattern of meaning, part of God’s providential design. The outlines of this pattern were contained in Scripture and interpreted by discerning pastors. Colonial congregations saw themselves as the “New Israel,” endowed with a sacred mission that destined them as lead actors in the last triumphant chapter in redemption history.

Thus colonial audiences learned to perceive themselves not as a ragtag settlement of religious exiles and eccentrics but as God’s special people, planted in the American wilderness to bring light to the Old World left behind. Europeans might ignore or revile them as “fanatics,” but through the sermon, they knew better. Better to absorb the barbs of English ridicule than to forget their glorious commission.

For over a century, colonial congregations had turned to England for protection and culture. Despite religious differences separating many colonists from the Church of England, they shared a common identity as Englishmen, an identity that stood firm against all foes. But almost overnight, these loyalties were challenged by a series of British imperial laws. Beginning with the Stamp Act of 1765 and running through the “Boston Massacre” of 1770, the Tea Act of 1773, and finally, martial law in Massachusetts, patriotic Americans perceived a British plot to deprive them of their fundamental English rights and their God-ordained liberties.

In the twentieth-century, taxation and representation are political and constitutional issues, having nothing to do with religion. But to eighteenth-century ears, attuned to lifetimes of preaching, the issues were inevitably religious as well, so colonists naturally turned to their ministers to learn God’s will about these troubling matters.

TYRANNY IS “IDOLATRY”
    When understood in its own times, the American Revolution was first and foremost a religious event. This is especially true in New England, where the first blood was shed.

By 1775 the ranks of Harvard- and Yale-educated clergymen swelled to over600 ministers, distributed throughout every town and village in New England. Clergymen surveyed the events swirling around them; by 1775 liberals and evangelicals, Congregationalists and Presbyterians, men and women—all saw in British actions grounds for armed resistance.

In fact, not only was it right for colonists to resist British “tyranny,” it would actually be sinful not to pick up guns.

How did they come to this conclusion? They fastened on two arguments.

First, they focused on Parliament’s 1766 Declaratory Act, which stated that Parliament had sovereignty over the colonies “in all cases whatsoever.” For clergymen this phrase took on the air of blasphemy. These were fighting words not only because they violated principles of representative government but even more because they violated the logic of sola Scriptura (“Scripture alone”) and God’s exclusive claim to sovereignty “in all cases whatsoever.”

From the first colonial settlements, Americans—especially New England Americans—were accustomed to constraining all power and granting absolute authority to no mere human being.

For Reformed colonists, these ideas were tied up with their historic, covenant theology. At stake was the preservation of their identity as a covenant people. Not only did Parliament’s claims represent tyranny, they also represented idolatry. For colonists to honor those claims would be tantamount to forsaking God and abdicating their national covenant pledge to “have no other gods” before them.

In a classic sermon on the subject of resistance entitled A Discourse Concerning Unlimited Submission, Boston’s Jonathan Mayhew, a liberal(he favored Unitarianism), took as his text Romans 13:1-6, in which Paul enjoins Christians to “be subject unto the higher powers.” The day he picked for this sermon was portentous—it came on the anniversary of the execution of Charles I, when Anglican ministers routinely abhorred the Puritan revolution, and Puritans routinely kept silent. Mayhew would not keep silent.

For centuries, rulers had used this text to discourage resistance and riot. But circumstances had changed, and in the chilling climate of impending Anglo-American conflict, Mayhew asked if there were any limits to this law? He concluded that the law is binding only insofar as government honors its “moral and religious” obligations. When government fails to honor that obligation, or contract, then the duty of submission is likewise nullified. Submission, in other words, is not unlimited.

Rulers, he said, “have no authority from God to do mischief. … It is blasphemy to call tyrants and oppressors God’s ministers.” Far from being sinful, resistance to corrupt ministers and tyrannical rulers is a divine imperative. The greater sin lies in passively sacrificing the covenant for tyranny, that is, in failing to resist.

Who determines whether government is “moral and religious”? In the Revolutionary era, the answer was simple: the individual. There were no established institutions that would support violent revolution. Ultimate justification resided in the will of a people acting self-consciously as united individuals joined in a common cause. Where a government was found to be deficient in moral and spiritual terms, the individual conscience was freed to resist.

AMERICA: A NEW HEAVEN
    Clergy in the Revolutionary era reminded people not only what they were fighting against, namely tyranny and idolatry, but also what they were fighting for: a new heaven and a new earth.

Many early American settlers arrived believing they were part of the New Israel, that they would be instruments for Christ’s triumphant return to earth. Interpretations varied on whether the last days would be marked by progressive revelations and triumphs (the “postmillennial” view), or whether they would be marked by sudden judgments and calamities (the “pre millennial” view), or some combination thereof. But all agreed the present was portentous, and American colonists were going to play a direct role in the great things looming.

Read the entire article: https://americanspiritualheritage.wo...obed-regiment/

Ooops, it's the Third Monday in April, so it's the 20th in 2020
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 04-18-2020 at 06:41 AM. Reason: third monday in april
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ya well my calendar says Patriot day is Sept 11

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Ya well my calendar says Patriot day is Sept 11
    My calendar says it's April 20th. Ron must be taking a Patriots Day weekend.

Where is The Texan? I'm sure he could clear this up for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My calendar says it's April 20th. Ron must be taking a Patriots Day weekend.

Where is The Texan? I'm sure he could clear this up for us.
    I also have Apr 17 Arbor Day in Colorado , April 22 Earth Day , April 23 Ramadan begins at sundown , Apr 27 Arbor Day in Wyoming . Then in Sept , Sept 11 Patriot Day , Sept 18 Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown , Sept 22 First Day of Autumn , Sept 25 Arbor Day in Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands , Sept 27 Yom Kippur begins at Sundown. Since The Texan is banned , I can tell everyone that Texas Independence Day is March 02.

Oyarde Day is June 05 . Offerings are accepted .

I do not celebrate Texas Independence but I do observe The Battle of Puebla , Oyarde Day, Halloween , Battle of the Wabash , Thanksgiving and Christmas all yet this year.

Although , I can respect Ron Zeplins excitement about an opportunity to scalp some redcoats . Bad news is when you run those guys out the next douchebags raise taxes.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I also have Apr 17 Arbor Day in Colorado , April 22 Earth Day , April 23 Ramadan begins at sundown , Apr 27 Arbor Day in Wyoming . Then in Sept , Sept 11 Patriot Day , Sept 18 Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown , Sept 22 First Day of Autumn , Sept 25 Arbor Day in Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands , Sept 27 Yom Kippur begins at Sundown. Since The Texan is banned , I can tell everyone that Texas Independence Day is March 02.
    I might be wrong because the calendar on my fridge is from The Dollar Tree but without The $#@!ing Texan here to straighten it out for us, how are we to know?

WTF? TheTexan is banned? The Greatest Gottdam Merican ever!!! Banned from Ron Paul Forums!!!

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I might be wrong because the calendar on my fridge is from The Dollar Tree but without The $#@!ing Texan here to straighten it out for us, how are we to know?

WTF? TheTexan is banned? The Greatest Gottdam Merican ever!!! Banned from Ron Paul Forums!!!

I would think your dollar tree calendar would be good. My calendar was a gift and it has fancy Mexican Keel billed Toucan . It is sad that The Texan is banned but I doubt they have Toucans .

Once again this Nov we are extending an invitation to Danke to play General St Clair in our annual Battle of the Wabash reenactment .

in Sept , Sept 11 Patriot Day
    That's neocon Patriot Day, singular tense. There's only ONE of those jagoffs, George W. Bush. 9/11 was an inside job, just like CoronaJivus.
    It's a fake holiday declared by fedgov deep state.

Patriots' Day
    is the third Monday in April, which is the 20th this year.

Lexington Green, Minuteman ~1918
    Shot heard 'round the World,. April 19, 1775.
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 04-19-2020 at 04:14 PM. Reason: correct shot date

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    That's neocon Patriot Day, singular tense. There's only ONE of those jagoffs, George W. Bush. 9/11 was an inside job, just like CoronaJivus.
    It's a fake holiday declared by fedgov deep state.

Patriots' Day
    is the third Monday in April, which is the 20th this year.

Lexington Green, Minuteman ~1918
    Shot heard 'round the World,. April 18, 1775.
    You should get yourself a 1925 Lexington - Concord silver half dollar . A little salty at 60.00 but a beautiful coin.

I am giving this thread five stars for Ron Zeplins enthusiasm.

You should get yourself a 1925 Lexington - Concord silver half dollar . A little salty at 60.00 but a beautiful coin.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll put it on my shopping list.

+rep

Once again this Nov we are extending an invitation to Danke to play General St Clair in our annual Battle of the Wabash reenactment .
    At least he hasn't been banned from participating in reenactments...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    [QUOTE=Suzanimal;6941454]At least he hasn't been banned from participating in reenactments...[/Q My place is one of the few Danke has not been banned from.

[QUOTE=oyarde;6941455]
    At least he hasn't been banned from participating in reenactments...[/Q My place is one of the few Danke has not been banned from.
    He's not banned at my place, either.

I love me some Danke.

The "Shot heard Round the World" was the opening shot at the battle of Concord and Lexington on 19 April 1775.

Local militia, outnumbered and outgunned, beat back a British incursion sent out from Boston to confiscate arms and ammunition, effectively declaring war against the most powerful military power on the face of the earth at that time, over oppression and tyranny one tenth of that which we suffer under now.

They did all that, while at the same time suffering under a smallpox epidemic that killed one out of three people infected.

We today are fat, spoiled, lazy, pussies.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The "Shot heard Round the World" was the opening shot at the battle of Concord and Lexington on 19 April 1775.

Local militia, outnumbered and outgunned, beat back a British incursion sent out from Boston to confiscate arms and ammunition, effectively declaring war against the most powerful military power on the face of the earth at that time, over oppression and tyranny one tenth of that which we suffer under now.

They did all that, while at the same time suffering under a smallpox epidemic that killed one out of three people infected.

Aren't you being overly critical here? I have a feeling that "patriots" are going to vote REALLY HARD in this upcoming election. It'll be the vote heard 'round the world, we'll get Trump for 4 more years and he'll fix everything! That's about the same as Lexington anf Concord, isn't it?
    Last edited by CCTelander; 04-19-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Aren't you being overly critical here?
    Nah, I don't think so, since I include myself in that mix.

I have a feeling that "patriots" are going to vote REALLY HARD in this upcoming election. It'll be the vote heard 'round the world, we'll get Trump for 4 more years and he'll fix everything! That's about the same as Lexington anf Concord, isn't it?
    No, not at all, and that's coming from someone who has decided to vote for and support Trump in the fall.

Reality vs. wishes.

No, not at all, and that's coming from someone who has decided to vote for and support Trump in the fall.

Reality vs. wishes.

Is your sarcasm detector on the fritz?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

You've been overly critical of yourself. Anyone who has never been overly critical of themselves is a politician or other psychopath.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Is your sarcasm detector on the fritz?
    lol ... It is...I'm out of it right now...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    You've been overly critical of yourself. Anyone who has never been overly critical of themselves is a politician or other psychopath.
    Well deserved I think...there is much more I could have done.

Well deserved I think...there is much more I could have done.
    Hell, if foresight was as good as hindsight we'd have all had perfect lives.

Reality vs. wishes?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

You should have been in Olympia Wa. today..

a large friendly and well armed crowd of disobedience.

Shared a Toke,, and was gifted a bud..

shook a few hands..

I did not wear a mask.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    You should have been in Olympia Wa. today..

a large friendly and well armed crowd of disobedience.

Shared a Toke,, and was gifted a bud..

shook a few hands..

I did not wear a mask.

This is very encouraging. Let's hope this kind of thing continues and expands.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 04-20-2020 at 08:35 AM.
    Chris

+ rep

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Happy belated Patriots Day.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast