Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vid : Trump demands 5% budget cut from each Dept. head at White House Mtg.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Yea, you lost me when you started comparing him to Ron..

The guy currently growing government, who's always advocated big government, isn't on a secret mission to shrink government.

My math isn't great. Maybe you can help me out.

$150 billion spending increase (done)
    - $50 billion spending decrease (proposed)
    ---------
    = winning?

Here's how populism work (at least in the fiscal arena):

1. Keep the gravy train rolling

2. Cut taxes anyway

3. Print money to cover the difference
    Cutting taxes is not populism. Maybe you didn't get the memo. I'm absolutely assured that the Democrat base wants taxes raised to the point that corporations and their CEO's don't make more than the average worker.
    Hate all you want. I don't care. At least Trump shakes the tree constantly. Job growth is back. At least in my area and that is enough for me. Wages are rising. Less illegal workers equals higher wages in a tight hiring market.
    So, go on with your bad self and the belief that someday all the Americans on welfare are gonna vote for a 1789 reset. Or whatever utopia you think you are going to achieve.
    I'll take small victories when I can get them. Federal deregulation against corporations on a scale unseen in my lifetime. The bolstering of the labor market and higher wages through that. And now a call out for 5% slashes on the Federal agencies.
    Keep doing what you do best. Bitching and accomplishing nothing.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Election promises in the wake of soaring deficits being announced this week. Won't come to anything. Congress will determine actual spending- not Trump.

On the heels of a new Treasury Department report showing a 17 percent rise in the annual federal budget deficit, President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he was asking his Cabinet to propose major belt-tightening.
    The yawning deficit has become an increasingly hot political issue in the midterms, with Democrats hammering Republicans for talking tough about fiscal responsibility while expanding the deficit in the nearly two years Trump has been in office.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...agency-n921231

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Cutting taxes is not populism.
    Cutting taxes while increasing spending is populism par excellence.

Free stuff is popular; tax bills aren't.

...neither are higher interest rates/inflation, of course, but politicians can deflect the blame for those, since Boobus doesn't understand economics

Job growth is back. At least in my area and that is enough for me. Wages are rising.
    The economy has been recovering for a decade in spite of Obama-Trump's policies, not because of them.

Federal deregulation against corporations on a scale unseen in my lifetime.
    The deregulation is a rounding error relative the total cost of regulation, $600 million/year out of well over $2 trillion/year.

Seriously, if Trump can bring this to fruition, not only will I vote for him, I might campaign for him!

Sounds like a stunt to fire up team red, but I’m crossing my fingers.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

...neither are higher interest rates/inflation, of course, but politicians can deflect the blame for those, since Boobus doesn't understand economics

The economy has been recovering for a decade in spite of Obama-Trump's policies, not because of them.

The deregulation is a rounding error relative the total cost of regulation, $600 million/year out of well over $2 trillion/year.
    You have it all figured out. Bigly. Good luck with it. The rest of us idiots will make do with what we can get. For myself it is a Red Wave. Through and through. Go vote for whoever you want. Or best don't vote at all. That only encourages the cycle. Right?
    I'm tired of your bull$#@!. Do what you will, I'm done explaining myself. Trump 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Election promises in the wake of soaring deficits being announced this week. Won't come to anything. Congress will determine actual spending- not Trump.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...agency-n921231
    That might be true if the president couldn't veto appropriations bills, but he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    That might be true if the president couldn't veto appropriations bills, but he can.
    He can veto them but he can't write them. If we use 2018 budget numbers and leave off Defense spending (Trump says he wants to keep that above $700 billion) we are looking at $480 billion in spending. A five percent cut would be $24 billion with the deficit for next year expected to top $1 trillion. The additional money he wants for his wall would wipe that out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_U...federal_budget

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Seriously, if Trump can bring this to fruition, not only will I vote for him, I might campaign for him!

Sounds like a stunt to fire up team red, but I’m crossing my fingers.
    Good God damn, THANK YOU Cap. I ain't saying it will come to pass. Or that he is even serious about it. But, the fact that he has at least brought it up? WTF?
    How could any Trump hater not at least give credit to a POTUS that has at least mentioned it in public?

As an aside, how many MSM sNews Organs covered this tonight? I don't watch TV much.

You have it all figured out. Bigly. Good luck with it. The rest of us idiots will make do with what we can get. For myself it is a Red Wave. Through and through. Go vote for whoever you want. Or best don't vote at all. That only encourages the cycle. Right?
    I'm tired of your bull$#@!. Do what you will, I'm done explaining myself. Trump 2020!

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good God damn, THANK YOU Cap. I ain't saying it will come to pass. Or that he is even serious about it. But, the fact that he has at least brought it up? WTF?
    How could any Trump hater not at least give credit to a POTUS that has at least mentioned it in public?

As an aside, how many MSM sNews Organs covered this tonight? I don't watch TV much.
    Well let’s not get carried away, yet. Trump says all sorts of $#@!. But if this really happens.... it’s almosy impossible to conceive!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Well let’s not get carried away, yet. Trump says all sorts of $#@!. But if this really happens.... it’s almosy impossible to conceive!
    Not getting carried away at all. Just an kudos to you for keeping an open mind and acknowledging that this would be good. Nothing more. Some can't seem to do that.

We might first bother not increasing it.

I'm always for spending cuts.

I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy/delusion inherent in praising this little cut, after Trump just signed a much bigger increase.

Altogether, he's is not cutting spending; he's increasing it while redirecting it from one agency to another.

Rand, on the other hand, has always proposed cuts plain and simple: not coupled with more than offsetting increases.

*this all assumes that these cuts will even happen (I expect it's a ruse - Congress objects, Trump doesn't veto, can say he tried)
    Bro sorry to cut it to you like this but seems like you have early onset TDS. Basically nothing is good enough, everything sucks or you just can't admit he is doing something decent that we have all been wanting and essentially never thought was ever going to happen.

These cuts are a step in the right direction. Imagine the MSM doomsday headlines if Trump actually did a deep cut that RPF would be extremely proud of. I believe that just like they want Tax Cuts 2.0, they'll also want budget cuts 2.0 and 3.0.

You call these budget cuts, peanuts. Democrats also called the Tax cuts, crumbs.

Did you watch the video? Trump said that he increased the defense budget because he said they needed it. They don't. You and I both know that. He said now that that has been accomplished it is time to move toward reducing government. Through the defense spending he solidified his base. That means his party wins in the mid-term and he wins in 2020.
    Please don't tell me that you believed that Ron Paul, on day one, could have shuttered the FBI, CIA and IRS without being impeached. That he could have taken all the troops and "marched them home like we marched them out."
    It was great rhetoric. It spoke to me. But, for even an instant, did you actually believe it was that easy?
    Believe what you want. I personally believe that Trump, with his ego, wants to leave a legacy unlike other presidents. We've seen the legacy of former presidents. He wants to leave his unlike others. The hate against him just emboldens him.
    He can do spectacularly well, or spectacularly fail. It's all left to be seen. But, hearing you and others bitching about every little thing is getting old.
    But, I've yet to see a single president in my lifetime call for budget cuts, from any agency, at a 5% rate.
    So, I guess time will tell.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phill4paul again.

Abolishing all of those departments that we called for in the past were always a pipe dream and a slogan we all loved. Even I knew it was not realistic. I guess some took it very seriously and are applying those expectations to a president who doesn't give two shts about the libertarian vote.
    Last edited by eleganz; 10-17-2018 at 06:39 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Bro sorry to cut it to you like this but seems like you have early onset TDS. Basically nothing is good enough, everything sucks or you just can't admit he is doing something decent that we have all been wanting and essentially never thought was ever going to happen.

These cuts are a step in the right direction. Imagine the MSM doomsday headlines if Trump actually did a deep cut that RPF would be extremely proud of. I believe that just like they want Tax Cuts 2.0, they'll also want budget cuts 2.0 and 3.0.

You call these budget cuts, peanuts. Democrats also called the Tax cuts, crumbs.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phill4paul again.

I'm not sure "early" is correct here.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    You realize that, even with a 5% cut in non-defense discretionary spending, total spending will increase?

You realize that, even with a 5% cut in non-defense discretionary spending, total spending will increase?
    Would you rather not have the 5% cut?

Why can't this just be the thin end of the wedge?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

You just don't understand how populism works, do you? How it is absolutely needed to accomplish goals.

Did you really believe on day one of a Ron Paul presidency that he could have shuttered the FBI, CIA and IRS all while ordering every troop home without being impeached?
    Purists do not understand it and never will. It is why they will never accomplish anything until Trump tears down the walls for them (which he is doing now). They just can't think long term. They can't even get elected because their strategy is to magically win everything instantly. It has never worked in the modern era.

Thankfully many Americans understand how the game is played including Trump. The GOP and its supporters are mostly brainwashed to support a huge expensive military. Just look at the backlash Ron received about his foreign policy when he ran for president. Trump had to play the game to win (he even pretends to be very religious to appease his base even though he isn't that religious in real life), but as he finishes taking over the GOP you will start to see things change rapidly soon. Over the next few years you will us leave the global police role and you will see massive budget cuts. The purists cannot understand this because Trump grew the deficit in his first few years as president, so therefore he will continue to do that. The art of war is lost on them. An unwavering purist was never going to get elected.
    "Countries are benefited when they changed these [national sovereignty] policies, and evidence suggests that North Americans are ready for a new relationship that renders this old definition of sovereignty obsolete."

CFR task force co-chairman Robert Pastor

The $600 M was just what it cost the government to enforce the regulations.

U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday praised White House efforts to remove regulations that he sees as an impediment to economic growth, saying the administration had reduced regulatory costs by $23 billion in the year ending Sept. 30.

The White House said it had eliminated regulatory costs totaling $23 billion in the most recent budget year but did not specify how much in societal benefits resulted from those eliminated rules. Regulatory costs are estimates by the administration of the costs for businesses and individuals to comply with mandated rules.
    The administration said it had approved 14 new significant regulations and eliminated 57 major regulations in the 2017-2018 budget year.

The biggest regulation under review in dollar terms is a proposal to freeze vehicle fuel-efficiency standards at 2020 levels through 2026, one that would save $340 billion in regulatory costs, but add at least $150 billion in higher fuel costs.

More at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1MR379

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Would you rather not have the 5% cut?

Why can't this just be the thin end of the wedge?
    Trump doesn't get credit for cutting into a spending increase for which he himself is responsible.

"Hey guys, I'm going to increase spending by $150 billion, but I'm also going to cut it by $50 billion; I'm a fiscal conservative!"

Suppose Obama, instead of doing an $800 billion "stimulus" had done $1.6 trillion: coupled with an $800 billion cut elsewhere.

Would you have cheered it as a step in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by nbhadja View Post
    Purists do not understand it and never will. It is why they will never accomplish anything until Trump tears down the walls for them (which he is doing now). They just can't think long term. They can't even get elected because their strategy is to magically win everything instantly. It has never worked in the modern era.

Thankfully many Americans understand how the game is played including Trump. The GOP and its supporters are mostly brainwashed to support a huge expensive military. Just look at the backlash Ron received about his foreign policy when he ran for president. Trump had to play the game to win (he even pretends to be very religious to appease his base even though he isn't that religious in real life), but as he finishes taking over the GOP you will start to see things change rapidly soon. Over the next few years you will us leave the global police role and you will see massive budget cuts. The purists cannot understand this because Trump grew the deficit in his first few years as president, so therefore he will continue to do that. The art of war is lost on them. An unwavering purist was never going to get elected.
    I'm not buying into Trump full tilt. I was the most vociferous anti-Trumper on these forums leading up to the election. Didn't vote for him. But, I'm open to seeing what plays out. Right now it means voting Red Wave to see what the sequel brings.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Reason #90 that I am glad that Donald Trump is our president.

I hope this turns into reality.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Trump doesn't get credit for cutting into a spending increase for which he himself is responsible.

"Hey guys, I'm going to increase spending by $150 billion, but I'm also going to cut it by $50 billion; I'm a fiscal conservative!"

Suppose Obama, instead of doing an $800 billion "stimulus" had done $1.6 trillion: coupled with an $800 billion cut elsewhere.

Would you have cheered it as a step in the right direction?
    Would you rather not have the 5%?
    Why can't this be the first step on a long journey?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Would you rather not have the 5%?
    Why can't this be the first step on a long journey?
    When each "cut" increases the budget, the journey will be infinitely long.

Show me the budget cuts.

Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

If he truly has br@$$baLLz he'd intelligently clip 50% of the Pentagon budget
    as he keeps military efficacy above a 95% percentile. Next he'd need to fire all
    his top level political hacks he inflicted on each Gov't Department before a 3%
    trim to the somewhat redundant upper levels. He won't do this. It's all blather.

The $600 M was just what it cost the government to enforce the regulations.
    No, it's the estimate of the annual economic impact.

From the guidance published by the Trump administration about how to apply the EO:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whi...-17-21-OMB.pdf

V. Accounting Questions

Q21. How should costs and cost savings be measured?

A: Except where noted in other portions of this guidance, costs should be estimated using the methods and concepts appearing in OMB Circular A-4. There are several types of impacts that, under O MB Circular A-4, could be reasonably categorized as either benefits or costs, with the only difference being the sign (positive or negative) on the estimates. In most cases where there is ambiguity in the categorization of impacts, agencies should conform to the accounting conventions they have followed in past analyses. For example, if medical cost savings due to safety regulations have historically been categorized as benefits rather than reduced costs, they should continue to be categorized as benefits for EO 13771 regulatory actions. Identifying cost savings, such as fuel savings associated with energy efficiency investments, as benefits is a common accounting convention followed in O IRA’s reports to Congress on the benefits and costs of Federal regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth
    The White House said it had eliminated regulatory costs totaling $23 billion in the most recent budget
    That figure isn't the annual savings; it's the present value of the annual savings out to infinity, discounted at 7%.

https://reginfo.gov/public/pdf/eo137...M_12072017.pdf

Annualized Value v. Present Value.

The above chart uses the present value of regulatory and deregulatory actions. Annualized value and present value are different forms of the same summary numbers. With a perpetual time horizon and a 7 percent discount rate, a present value can be transformed into its contemporaneous annualized value by multiplying by 0.07.
    Incidentally, the final report for FY 2018 (link above) gives an annual savings of 1.64 billion, or well under 0.1% of the total regulatory burden.

P.S. As to that percentage, here is a study by the National Association of Manufacturers, which put the total cost of federal regulation at $2.028 trillion annually in 2012. Even if we use that figure, i.e. ignoring both inflation and the growth of the regulatory state, Trump's $1.64 billion in annual savings equals 0.08% of the total. If Trump were to continue his yuge deregulation at this rate, we'd halve the burden in about 600 years.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 10-17-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Did you watch the video? Trump said that he increased the defense budget because he said they needed it.
    And why exactly does the military need more money? So they can buy more planes that can't actually fulfill their mission like the F35 just suck fighter?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Absolutely, it'd suck if Trump only cut 5% spending to 60% of all agencies. Ron Paul would have shut down ALL agencies on day one.
    That sounds nice, but I seriously doubt it would have happened.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    And why exactly does the military need more money? So they can buy more planes that can't actually fulfill their mission like the F35 just suck fighter?
    Have a laugh:

https://www.heritage.org/military-strength
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Yeah. That is pretty laughable. Then again Heritage were the folks that were for an individual mandate before they were against one.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast