Thread: elephant dung coffee

elephant dung coffee

h/t Bob Murphy: http://consultingbyrpm.com/blog/2014...ourri-193.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Murphy
    This story on elephant dung coffee proves the cost theory of value.
    FTA: http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...s1500-kilogram

Whether its description involves an expletive that has to be deleted or it is hailed as God's gift to caffeine aficionados, "elephant dung" coffee is the most expensive cup on the planet.

Also known as black ivory, it costs US$1,500 a kilogram, easily exceeding the price of its similarly processed cousin, kopi luwak, or civet coffee, which ranges in price from US$500 to US$1,000 a kilogram.

And the ferry trip to Macau - the only place where you can try this coffee in China - will cost you less than the drink, which will set you back 488 patacas for 35 grams - plus service charge.

The labour-intensive process behind the coffee starts with orphaned elephants in Thailand. They are fed Thai Arabica coffee berries, which are them collected from their faeces after a period of "natural fermentation".

[Question: why "orphaned" elephants? - OB]

Kopi luwak is created in the same way, using the Asian palm civet.

Just 200 kilograms of elephant dung coffee are produced every year, as it takes 33 kilograms of coffee berries to yield just 1 kilogram of the coveted stuff.

The final product supposedly has aromas of dark, nutty chocolate and tastes of cherry and tobacco.

[ ... continued at link: http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...s1500-kilogram ...]
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 03-28-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It can't be that good. Coffee is an acquired taste and I'm fine with black undoctored folgers.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    It can't be that good. Coffee is an acquired taste and I'm fine with black undoctored folgers.
    I don't drink coffee at all - of any kind. And I sure as hell ain't drinkin' elephant dung coffee - not even if it were free ...

I only drink bean that has come out a bat's ass.

Last edited by CPUd; 03-28-2014 at 11:17 PM.

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would rather sit around half naked with pygmies in Africa , get high , eat some elephant steaks .

The labour-intensive process behind the coffee starts with orphaned elephants in Thailand. They are fed Thai Arabica coffee berries, which are them collected from their faeces after a period of "natural fermentation".

[Question: why "orphaned" elephants? - OB]
    LOL, sounds like it's an elephant sweatshop.

No thanks, sounds like it's pretty $#@!ty coffee...har-dee-har-har.

Bump for @Dr.3D
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Bump for @Dr.3D
    What will they think of next?

No thanks to that coffee. Smelling is one thing, drinking is another.

/* sniffs for Folgers */

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

/* sniffs for Folgers */
    My sis travels to South America yearly as part of a hospital program, she sends me fancy coffee from down there...

But I pay for Folgers...

/* sniffs for Folgers */
    /* sips four elephants */
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Now where did I leave my thermos?

Now where did I leave my thermos?
    That's the broke ass way to get elephant dung coffee.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

/* sniffs for Folgers */
    Folgers started tasting weird to me so Mr A started bringing me home Standard coffee from the bar. He hates coffee and the whole "coffee culture" but he started bringing it to me to shut up my bitching.

I'm a complete addict. I can't function without a pot of coffee - it warms up the evil in me.

I would rather eat snake. I like plain coffee with no dessert elements or animal poop in it.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Folgers started tasting weird to me so Mr A started bringing me home Standard coffee from the bar. He hates coffee and the whole "coffee culture" but he started bringing it to me to shut up my bitching.

I'm a complete addict. I can't function without a pot of coffee - it warms up the evil in me.

I'll see if I can pick you up some Kopi Luwak next time I'm in China.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."