Thread: Help me catch a scammer

Help me catch a scammer

Hi all. A friend of mine fell for a scam a few weeks ago and I'm trying to help him catch the guy as well as help law enforcement catch up. LE is very busy however and I'm dealing with a time-sensitive part of it that I think represents the only chance we have of getting back the money that my friend lost. He's a 78-year-old army veteran, a good guy, living on the edge financially and he may very well end up losing his home over this loss

I have tricked the scammer into sending me a bogus check that he thinks I have cashed. He wants me to use the money to purchase a money order which he would then instruct me to deposit into another account. The scam "story" is a long one, I can post it later if need be, but for the time being I am looking for a bit of help from someone who might know how to accomplish what I need within the next 24 hours.

Before I can get the number of the account and name of the bank where the scammer wants me to deposit the money order, he insists on seeing a photo of the money order. Apparently the scammer is following some sort of protocol or script from which he will not deviate. My friend sent him images of actual Moneygram money orders, which can be traced online via their serial numbers. I don't think a bank money order can be traced that way so I told the scammer that the line at Walmart was too long and we didn't have time to wait there and went to the bank instead.

What I need is an image of this fake money order. I called my bank and my friend called his bank. We fully explained the scam to them and told them my plan: I will take the fake check the scammer sent me -- which he thinks I have already cashed -- to the scammer's bank and deposit it there, instead of depositing the money order. That will give the scammer's bank an excuse to at least place a hold on the amount of this check, which is for the same amount that my friend was scammed out of. And then perhaps LE will be able to get it back for him.

Both banks refused to supply us with an image of a real money order -- to be destroyed after making an image of it -- with which to fool the scammer into giving me the bank account info where I could deposit the thing. It *could* be the same account that my friend deposited his REAL money orders into, but since scammers often change things up in an effort to stay ahead of the law, it could also be different. I won't know until I can show the scammer the image he wants to see.

If anyone here knows how to produce the image I need, please let me know. But if it's more than 24 hours since this post first appeared, it's probably too late. You guys are our "last resort". If there's something horrible about this post and you want to chew me out over it, you needn't bother. I haven't really had time to think it through. I am just desperate to help my friend avoid losing his home, and every place we've tried to get help has either passed the buck or hasn't had time to call us back. Meanwhile our chance to reclaim that money is slipping away.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    Hi all. A friend of mine fell for a scam a few weeks ago and I'm trying to help him catch the guy as well as help law enforcement catch up. LE is very busy however and I'm dealing with a time-sensitive part of it that I think represents the only chance we have of getting back the money that my friend lost. He's a 78-year-old army veteran, a good guy, living on the edge financially and he may very well end up losing his home over this loss

I have tricked the scammer into sending me a bogus check that he thinks I have cashed. He wants me to use the money to purchase a money order which he would then instruct me to deposit into another account. The scam "story" is a long one, I can post it later if need be, but for the time being I am looking for a bit of help from someone who might know how to accomplish what I need within the next 24 hours.

Before I can get the number of the account and name of the bank where the scammer wants me to deposit the money order, he insists on seeing a photo of the money order. Apparently the scammer is following some sort of protocol or script from which he will not deviate. My friend sent him images of actual Moneygram money orders, which can be traced online via their serial numbers. I don't think a bank money order can be traced that way so I told the scammer that the line at Walmart was too long and we didn't have time to wait there and went to the bank instead.

What I need is an image of this fake money order. I called my bank and my friend called his bank. We fully explained the scam to them and told them my plan: I will take the fake check the scammer sent me -- which he thinks I have already cashed -- to the scammer's bank and deposit it there, instead of depositing the money order. That will give the scammer's bank an excuse to at least place a hold on the amount of this check, which is for the same amount that my friend was scammed out of. And then perhaps LE will be able to get it back for him.

Both banks refused to supply us with an image of a real money order -- to be destroyed after making an image of it -- with which to fool the scammer into giving me the bank account info where I could deposit the thing. It *could* be the same account that my friend deposited his REAL money orders into, but since scammers often change things up in an effort to stay ahead of the law, it could also be different. I won't know until I can show the scammer the image he wants to see.

If anyone here knows how to produce the image I need, please let me know. But if it's more than 24 hours since this post first appeared, it's probably too late. You guys are our "last resort". If there's something horrible about this post and you want to chew me out over it, you needn't bother. I haven't really had time to think it through. I am just desperate to help my friend avoid losing his home, and every place we've tried to get help has either passed the buck or hasn't had time to call us back. Meanwhile our chance to reclaim that money is slipping away.
    Could you actually buy the money order and then cash it in after taking a picture?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Check out 419eater.com forum.

Those folks live for this sort of stuff and would happily help with your project.
    Last edited by devil21; 10-10-2019 at 03:27 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Could you actually buy the money order and then cash it in after taking a picture?
    It's a good idea, but I don't know what I'd use to buy it. I don't have that kind of money (thousands) lying around. Anyway I told the guy that I already bought it yesterday but haven't got a way to photograph it. My story to him is that I sent a friend to the bank to buy it because I have a sprained knee and can't drive. I told him that my phone is old and can't take clear pictures of documents. In reality I don't even own a cell phone; I've been using a google voice account to text back and forth with him.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Check out 419eater.com forum.

Those folks live for this sort of stuff and would happily help with your project.
    Great idea! I made a post there. Maybe it will do some good.

This is one of the most common scams I see. I have gone as far as inviting three scammers into sending me checks by FedEx. I got this one $#@! to waste $140 by sending me checks 7 different times ($20 per delivery). I posed as three different people.

I was trying to figure out their ruse so I could scam the scammer, but then never got back to it. I'll have to check out the site posted by Devil21.

My post might not be very helpful for you, except to say that it's worth a try. I notice a few things about these scammers. One thing is that they are very lazy (guess that's why they don't have a job). Another is that they're desperate. A third thing is that they don't seem to be brain surgeons. I got that one $#@! to send me all those checks, even after I taunted him by email. I threatened him and told him I was coming over to his house. Good times!

Hope it works out for you. If it does, then it would be really fun to mock him.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Great idea! I made a post there. Maybe it will do some good.
    If one of them takes up your cause, you'll probably at least get some hilarious pictures out of it. The odds of getting back the money and LE doing anything about the fraud is pretty slim though, assuming it's a west african scammer. They just pay off the police from the stolen funds.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

No one at 419eater is going to help. They've made it quite clear that they won't do anything.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No one at 419eater is going to help. They've made it quite clear that they won't do anything.
    Bummer, sorry. Scammers suck and should be strung up by their nutsacks.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Bummer, sorry. Scammers suck and should be strung up by their nutsacks.
    What if theres a scammer thats female? Should they be strung up by their boobs instead?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge