Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Reasons to join the Eastern Orthodox Church

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I came to a similar place years back,,with conflicting doctrine of many denominations. and many teachers.

and I went to the Source.

I can worship almost anywhere,, in any church. Though usually under the sky.

I would advise finding a community of believers that you are comfortable with,, and let yourself be led By God among them.
    What's the source?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I came to a similar place years back,,with conflicting doctrine of many denominations. and many teachers.

and I went to the Source.

I can worship almost anywhere,, in any church. Though usually under the sky.

I would advise finding a community of believers that you are comfortable with,, and let yourself be led By God among them.
    My very limited experience with the EO church is that they behave more like TER and much less like S_F..

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    What's the source?
    The Creator, The Most High God, The Alpha and the Omega,,My Father and friend.

You really should meet Him. He walked the Earth once as a Man,,
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

The Creator, The Most High God, The Alpha and the Omega,,My Father and friend.

You really should meet Him. He walked the Earth once as a Man,,
    The Father never walked the earth. Are you a Trinitarian?

The Father never walked the earth. Are you a Trinitarian?
    God walked the Earth,, as a man,, in the person of the Son...

"I and my Father are One",,,
    "If you know me, you know the Father"

And if you were not so busy attacking everything and everyone,, it would make conversation simpler.

"From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

unless you don't
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

And if you were not so busy attacking everything and everyone,, it would make conversation simpler.

unless you don't
    John 14:9-11 (KJV)

9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

unless you don't
    +rep This is the Truth revealed in the Gospels and affirmed by the Orthodox Church. (John 14:7-14, for example)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

1. It's the church that Jesus planted.

No it isn't. The EOC doesn't teach the gospel that Jesus and the apostles preached. The EOC preaches the second and third century churchmen's deviations from the gospel. It's a watered down half gospel that really is no gospel at all because it doesn't protect the pure grace of God.
    That's incorrect. The Church Fathers teach exactly the Gospels taught by Christ and the apostles. Exactly what Orthodox literature have you read? All of St. Basil The Great's homilies, for example, cite scripture repeatedly.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

unless you don't
    Even that sounds modalistic to me. I believe the eternal second Person of the Trinity put on flesh. It was the Son who became flesh, not the Father.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    That's incorrect. The Church Fathers teach exactly the Gospels taught by Christ and the apostles. Exactly what Orthodox literature have you read? All of St. Basil The Great's homilies, for example, cite scripture repeatedly.
    No it's not incorrect. The penal substitution of Paul, for example, is totally absent from EOC theology. 'Citing scripture' is not what makes a theology right. Every false religion and cut cites scripture.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No it's not incorrect. The penal substitution of Paul, for example, is totally absent from EOC theology. 'Citing scripture' is not what makes a theology right. Every false religion and cut cites scripture.
    IOW, you don't know what you're talking about, are completely unread, and are talking out your ass. Thanks.

IOW, you don't know what you're talking about, are completely unread, and are talking out your ass. Thanks.
    I know more about EOC theology than you do. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. None.

I'm sure you'd have to google and find out what penal substitution even is.

I can not tell that he has ever read more than a couple of scriptures.. as he presents them in a completely unbalanced way..
    and distorts the clear meaning.

I can not even tell what brand of religion he subscribes to,, because he attacks all who claim Christ as Savior and those that don't

"as iron sharpens iron"

perhaps these challenges will sharpen us all.
    still,, seems an odd spirit
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Your not supposed to worship them
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I know more about EOC theology than you do. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. None.

LOL. Dream on, brother. I learned about penal substitution when I was a catechumen. I also learned about a wide array of religions, Eastern and Western. Your condescending bull$#@! is tiresome, and your pseudo-intellectualism thoroughly unimpressive.

"The Truth lies with the Greeks(the Orthodox)". -Martin Luther

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

http://www.returnofkings.com/144309/3-reasons-to-join-the-eastern-orthodox-church
    Ugh. I'm sorry, but that's one of the ugliest sites I've ever seen.

The comments section is cringe‐worthy and extremely sad.

The article is wrong too... which I guess isn't surprising, if the writer has the same mindset as the guys who hang out on the comments section of that site.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

LOL. Dream on, brother. I learned about penal substitution when I was a catechumen. I also learned about a wide array of religions, Eastern and Western. Your condescending bull$#@! is tiresome, and your pseudo-intellectualism thoroughly unimpressive.

"The Truth lies with the Greeks(the Orthodox)". -Martin Luther
    So you think the EOC teaches penal substitution? Um... Do you care to try to substantiate that?

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    The article is wrong too... which I guess isn't surprising, if the writer has the same mindset as the guys who hang out on the comments section of that site.
    Uh huh, why? Specifically.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Brother Percy stories

My father in law, (who I find myself missing a great deal) was a story teller, he loved telling stories and anecdotes of all sorts.

One of his particular favorities were "Brother Percy" stories.

His father in law was a dour and cynical sort of fellow, a lay preacher and vociferous quoter of verse.

And he did not care for my father in law at all. Considered him nothing more than a street-corner guinea hoodlum.

My father in law delighted in trolling him, especially when they had bible study groups, with one fellow in particular that he used to get a rise out of all the time: Brother Percy.

Usually these "trollings" revolved around some vice of my father in law's...smoking, drinking, gambling, what have you.

But one of things that stuck with me from these stories was how he was always flabbergasted by the fact that all these "believers" could gather around a table, and within five minutes, be in a heated argument over what a particular passage meant, when the meaning was very clear to him. And the only thing that happened at these meetings was that anybody who was curious or might have been saved, was run off by the acrimony and arguing that revolved around bible study time with Brother Percy and friends.

Simple wisdom.

God bless and RIP, J....
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

But one of things that stuck with me from these stories was how he was always flabbergasted by the fact that all these "believers" could gather around a table, and within five minutes, be in a heated argument over what a particular passage meant, when the meaning was very clear to him. And the only thing that happened at these meetings was that anybody who was curious or might have been saved, was run off by the acrimony and arguing that revolved around bible study time with Brother Percy and friends.

Simple wisdom.

God bless and RIP, J....
    That's why I rarely get into religion debates anymore. Especially on this site. I believe there's definitely a place for discussing theology...but bickering and always arguing is another matter. That definitely does not lead people to Christ, iyam.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    These are just a few of the reasons why I joined in 2015. After my Chrismation, I was greeted after the Liturgy with "welcome home." That is the best way I can describe my journey to Orthodoxy from atheism and various denominations, I finally felt at home.
    I knew you were EO but I assumed you had been for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    You may have a point. The Church isn't that picky. They let me and HB join.
    Come now, even Danke believes in standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

That's why I rarely get into religion debates anymore. Especially on this site. I believe there's definitely a place for discussing theology...but bickering and always arguing is another matter. That definitely does not lead people to Christ, iyam.
    +1 These threads are more intellectual exercises than civil discussion, sadly. When non-Orthodox come to a bible study class to ask sincere questions IRL(we get muslims and all sorts of people from many backgrounds in our parish inquirer classes ), the discussion goes smoothly.

Debates are the only way to define and clarify the issues. Nothing wrong with debating.

Also, I have a completely different theology than you. I believe that God ALONE causes people to come to Himself. It's not up to my cunning language or devices to "lead" people to God. I have a supernatural theology of salvation, not a man centered one.

+1 These threads are more intellectual exercises than civil discussion, sadly. When non-Orthodox come to a bible study class to ask sincere questions IRL(we get muslims and all sorts of people from many backgrounds in our parish inquirer classes ), the discussion goes smoothly.
    Yup.

Debates are the only way to define and clarify the issues. Nothing wrong with debating.
    I wasn't talking about debate in general, but bickering and endless arguing, specifically in religion debates. Yes, civil debate can be helpful, but being overly argumentative or arrogant is a different story.

Also, I have a completely different theology than you. I believe that God ALONE causes people to come to Himself. It's not up to my cunning language or devices to "lead" people to God. I have a supernatural theology of salvation, not a man centered one.
    I knew you were going to say something like that. That's not what I meant, and I think you know it. You just like to argue.

― Henry David Thoreau

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Then why does God find the need to appoint apostles, teachers and so on among men?

1 Corinthians 12:28 (KJV)

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Then why does God find the need to appoint apostles, teachers and so on among men?

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
    Always has,,
    Just as he raised up Judges and Prophets of old.

The problem is people having titles that God didn't give. either given by man,, or taken upon oneself.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Yup.

I wasn't talking about debate in general, but bickering and endless arguing, specifically in religion debates. Yes, civil debate can be helpful, but being overly argumentative or arrogant is a different story.

I knew you were going to say something like that. That's not what I meant, and I think you know it. You just like to argue.
    Engaging in debates or even watching them is good because it shows that you are still willing to learn. As much as you might think I'm stubborn, the first time a worldview comes by mine that is contrary to it, I want to engage it so I can learn new things.

Because God uses the means of preaching the word to bring people to Himself.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast