Thread: State Election Systems to Get More Federal Aid for Security

State Election Systems to Get More Federal Aid for Security

Also relevant...

Ga. finds evidence homeland security tried to hack election system
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...lection-system

H/T Lew Rockwell
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/political-theatre/coup/

Citing increasingly sophisticated cyber bad actors and an election infrastructure that's "vital to our national interests," Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson is designating U.S. election systems critical infrastructure, a move that provides more federal help for state and local governments to keep their election systems safe from tampering.

"Given the vital role elections play in this country, it is clear that certain systems and assets of election infrastructure meet the definition of critical infrastructure, in fact and in law," Johnson said in a statement Friday. He added: "Particularly in these times, this designation is simply the right and obvious thing to do."

The determination came after months of review and despite opposition from many states worried that the designation would lead to increased federal regulation or oversight on the many decentralized and locally run voting systems across the country. It was announced on the same day a declassified U.S. intelligence report said Russian President Vladimir Putin "ordered" an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the U.S. presidential election.

The declassified report said that Russian intelligence services had "obtained and maintained access to elements of multiple U.S. state or local electoral boards." None of the systems targeted or compromised was involved in vote tallying, the report said.

A 2013 presidential directive identified 16 sectors as critical infrastructures, including energy, financial services, health care, transportation, food and agriculture and communications.

The designation announced Friday places responsibilities on the Homeland Security secretary to identify and prioritize those sectors, considering physical and cyber threats against them. The secretary is also required to conduct security checks and provide information about emerging and imminent threats.

Such a change does not require presidential action, and only requires the secretary to first consult with the assistant to the president for homeland security and counterterrorism.

Discussions about whether to designate elections systems as critical infrastructure surfaced after hackers targeted the voter registration systems of more than 20 states in the months prior to the November election.

While the designation puts responsibilities on the Department of Homeland Security, it does not require entities that are determined "critical infrastructure" to participate. Much of the nation's critical infrastructure is in the private sector.

Johnson said election infrastructure included storage facilities, polling places and vote tabulation locations, plus technology involved in the process, including voter registration databases, voting machines and other systems used to manage the election process and report and display results.

The designation allows for information to be withheld from the public when state, local and private partners meet to discuss election infrastructure security — potentially injecting secrecy into an election process that's traditionally and expressly a transparent process. U.S. officials say such closed door conversations allow for frank discussion that would prevent bad actors from learning about vulnerabilities. DHS would also be able to grant security clearances when appropriate and provide more detailed threat information to states.

The Obama administration has proposed international cyber rules for peacetime that would expressly note that countries shouldn't conduct online activity targeting critical infrastructure, which will now also include election systems.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...urity-44615737

This is a coup: the Homeland Security takeover of US elections

This is a coup.

This is equivalent to declaring a national state of emergency, including martial law: the DHS, if it deemed it necessary, could utilize armed agents to enforce the new directive and take over states’ offices that resist.

Election-processes belong to the states. But not anymore.

And of course, with this awesome new power, the DHS could intercede, behind the scenes, in the voting process and rig elections.

There is an additional aligned factor at work in this op: the proposed elimination of the Electoral College—yet another measure designed to “federalize” the election process.

Most people are entirely ignorant of the fact that the Constitution was a pact among states. With reluctance, the independent states agreed to relinquish certain specified powers to the newly created central government, while retaining all other powers.

The Electoral College was, therefore, a natural invention, because the states would maintain crucial influence in determining the outcome of presidential elections. State Electors would cast their presidential votes based on which candidate won in their state.

Eliminating the Electoral College now would add one more layer of federal control over the whole country, and take control from the states. More centralization.

Imagine it. Only the popular vote counts. The states are dumped. And on top of it all, the Dept. of Homeland Security has the power to run the election process as a piece of “critical infrastructure.”

Rigging the vote in New York and California, plus a few other populous states, would decide the election. And in time, no one would think about “New York” or “California” as separate entities—because they wouldn’t be. They would just be “more land and people” that are part of “wholly unified” America.

https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2...-us-elections/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Go back to paper ballots. At least then, if any "hacking" is exposed, it can be traced back to the individual in charge of counting.

Not sure why this isn't being discussed more. This is potentially huge. Any chance of a Libertarian or libertarian Republican being elected has been dashed. I mean, we have all seen the funny business before, now DHS has (will have, eventually) complete control over the entire process with what accountability?

While the designation puts responsibilities on the Department of Homeland Security, it does not require entities that are determined "critical infrastructure" to participate. Much of the nation's critical infrastructure is in the private sector.
    That is "for now" but those who do not participate will have something happen, changing that to making participation mandatory or "we will take away federal funding for XYZ"

While Rappoport sometimes is a little extreme, I tend to agree with his take on this...
    Last edited by Thor; 01-10-2017 at 05:49 AM.
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Not sure why this isn't being discussed more. This is potentially huge. Any chance of a Libertarian or libertarian Republican being elected has been dashed. I mean, we have all seen the funny business before, now DHS has (will have, eventually) complete control over the entire process with what accountability?
    I agree. This is really scary. I think that's why they were hacking state elections - to give them a reason to take control.

That is "for now" but those who do not participate will have something happen, changing that to making participation mandatory or "we will take away federal funding for XYZ"

While Rappoport sometimes is a little extreme, I tend to agree with his take on this...

Yeah, I tend to agree with that statement (in bold) but if you go click the link and read the part where he breaks down each sentence point by point, he really does a great job clarifying what they really mean when they're saying these things. I probably should've cut-pasted that part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I agree. This is really scary. I think that's why they were hacking state elections - to give them a reason to take control.
    And they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar in GA, so then all of a sudden it was the Russians...
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.