Thread: Fauci refutes Trump's testing claim: 'We're going to be doing more testing, not less'

Fauci refutes Trump's testing claim: 'We're going to be doing more testing, not less'

June 23, 2020

Washington (CNN) Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, told lawmakers Tuesday that the US will be increasing coronavirus testing, saying, "we're going to be doing more testing, not less," in response to President Donald Trump's recent claim that he asked his administration to slow down testing during the pandemic.

The testimony from Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, came during a House Energy and Commerce Committee hearing on the Trump administration's response to the coronavirus pandemic.

"To my knowledge, none of us have ever been told to slow down on testing. That just is a fact. In fact, we will be doing more testing," Fauci said on a witness panel of top officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration and the Department of Health and Human Services.

The spotlight is on testing after the President said in a shocking admission during his Tulsa, Oklahoma, rally on Saturday night that he had told officials in his administration to slow down coronavirus testing because of the rising number of cases in the country.

"When you do testing to that extent, you're going to find more people; you're going to find more cases. So I said to my people, slow the testing down please," Trump said.

After the President made the comment, multiple White House officials said that the President was joking. But Trump told a reporter on Monday, "I don't kid, let me just tell you, let me make it clear," when asked again if he was joking in his remarks over the weekend.

That wasn't the only time that Fauci broke with the President during the hearing. Asked if he has concerns about the President's decision to terminate the US relationship with the World Health Organization, Fauci responded, "Yes, I do," adding, "Despite any policy issues that come from higher up in the White House, we at the operational level continue to interact with the WHO in a very meaningful way, literally on a day by day basis."

Fauci gave a broad assessment of where the country stands amid the pandemic, warning that in some areas of the United States, "we're now seeing a disturbing surge of infections."

He said the next couple of weeks "are going to be critical in our ability to address those surges that we're seeing in Florida, in Texas, in Arizona, and in other states. They're not the only ones that are having a difficulty."

Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, is testifying along with CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield, HHS Assistant Secretary for Health Brett Giroir and FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn.

The hearing comes as the country continues to grapple with the devastating public health consequences of the pandemic, which has already claimed the lives of over 120,000 in the US.

Asked to assess the likelihood of developing a vaccine, Fauci said "I feel cautiously optimistic that we will be successful in getting a vaccine," adding, "I still think there is a reasonably good chance that by the very beginning of 2021 that, if we're going to have a vaccine, that we will have it by then."

Fauci has no regrets about not telling Americans to wear masks sooner

Fauci said during the hearing that he does not regret the timing of when he told Americans to wear masks, explaining how the situation was different when concerns over shortages of personal protective equipment, or PPE, were more acute.

"I don't regret that -- because let me explain to you what happened. At that time, there was a paucity of equipment that our health care providers needed -- who put themselves daily in harm's way of taking care of people who are ill. We did not want to divert masks and PPE away from them, to be used by the people," he said.

"Now that we have enough, we recommend ... " Fauci began answering before he was cut off for the next question.

Fauci told lawmakers during the hearing that American's should avoid going into crowds, but if they must, they should wear a mask.
    For those who do go against public health guidance of avoiding crowds, Fauci urged, "Please wear a mask. And as you wear a mask, and you're in a situation where you're getting animated in a demonstration or in a rally or wherever you are, avoid -- as best as possible -- the urge to pull your mask down and shout."

Fauci said, "Plan A: Don't go in a crowd. Plan B: If you do, make sure you wear a mask."

CDC director says virus has 'brought this nation to its knees'

Covid-19 has "brought this nation to its knees," Redfield said Tuesday. "We've all done the best that we can do to tackle this virus," he said during the hearing.

But Redfield said that the virus has highlighted decades of underinvesting in the "core capabilities of public health data." Now is the time to fix the broken system, he added.

"This needs to be a partnership. It's not all the burden of the federal government to invest in public health at the local level," Redfield said. In reality, "if your funding of CDC was to go away tomorrow, public health infrastructure across this nation would just crash."

"We're right now the backbone of it," he added.

Redfield also said on Tuesday that getting a flu shot this year will save lives.

"CDC has begun to prepare for months ahead, when the next season's influenza illness will occur simultaneously, potentially, with Covid-19, increasing the challenges on hospitals, health care professionals and the public," Redfield said.

"This fall, before the seasonal circulation of influenza increase, I encourage the American people to be prepared and to embrace flu vaccination with confidence for yourself, your families in the communities," he said. "This single act will save lives."

Hearing addresses impact of institutional racism during the pandemic

Institutional racism in the United States contributes to the disproportional impact that the coronavirus pandemic has had on the Black community, Fauci, said on Tuesday, saying that the Black community has been facing a "double whammy."

Fauci noted that some Black adults may not be able to social distance if they are essential workers, and there is a disproportionate prevalence of underlying conditions within the Black community, such as hypertension, diabetes, obesity, chronic lung disease and kidney disease.

"So unfortunately we have a situation where it's sort of a double whammy," Fauci said.

"Obviously, the African American community has suffered from racism for a very, very long period of time," Fauci said. "I can't imagine that that is not contributing to the conditions that they find themselves in, economically or otherwise."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/23/polit...use/index.html
    Last edited by PAF; 06-23-2020 at 06:06 PM.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This country went to sh|t in a hand basket.

Government has absolutely NO business in healthcare!

But, you don't hear that basic fundamental republican platform anymore since trump became "prez".

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Despise this man with great intensity.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    This country went to sh|t in a hand basket.

Government has absolutely NO business in healthcare!

But, you don't hear that basic fundamental republican platform anymore since trump became "prez".

To paraphrase L. Neil Smith, there are two kinds of things government does:

Things that could be done better, more efficiently and less expensively by the free market. And

Things that shouldn't be done at all.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

LOL it works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Great. Endless False Positives. This pandemic will NEVER end.

Permanent political power.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Trump never said we were going to do less testing, he was saying it in jest because people on the left don't understand basic math.

The left is saying that cases are up, so things are getting worse, even though the average daily deaths in the last week was 620 per day, compared to over 2,200 per day a couple months ago..

Dr. Birx explained 2 months ago that as we opened back up, we would be testing a lot more and we would see a rise in cases, but that wouldn't mean there are more people with COVID.

Everybody ignored her, and now everybody is freaking out because the cases are going up.

Trump said that if you test less, the cases will be less, so maybe we shouldn't test as much - the left seemed to pickup on the fact that if you test less, and get less cases, that doesn't mean there are less infections out there - but they won't admit that when you test more, and you get more cases, that ALSO does not mean there are more infections out there.. in fact there are a lot less infections out there, but more positive tests - because testing is up.

He was trying to make that point, but of course they took it out of context and are trying to say he was trying to be funny or something. I don't know if they are actually that retarded, or dishonest, or some combination of both.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Trump never said we were going to do less testing, he was saying it in jest...
    Damn, dannno. Make up your mind.

He never said it and he said it in jest are two different things. Both cannot be true, no matter how badly you want to straddle a fence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2-txcI9hxU&t=4h11m

Talk about twisting the facts. They asked Fauci and Redfield if Trump asked them to dial back testing and they said no.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Damn, dannno. Make up your mind.

He never said it and he said it in jest are two different things. Both cannot be true, no matter how badly you want to straddle a fence.
    Um, yes, actually by definition if you say you are going to do less testing in jest, it means you are NOT going to do less testing. Learn english.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Um, yes, actually by definition if you say you are going to do less testing in jest, it means you are NOT going to do less testing.
    So? Saying something in jest isn't the same as not saying it at all.

Learn english.
    I know you've heard, 'The best defense is a good offense'. But sometimes the best defense is no defense at all. It takes character to man up and say, 'I misspoke'.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 06-23-2020 at 09:18 PM.

So? Saying something in jest isn't the same as not saying it at all.

I know you've heard, 'The best defense is a good offense'. But sometimes the best defense is no defense at all. It takes character to man up and say, 'I misspoke'.
    He did not mis speak, the left is retarded and doesn't know math. He over estimated their intelligence, that's the only mistake he made.

He did not mis speak, the left is retarded and doesn't know math. He over estimated their intelligence, that's the only mistake he made.
    Mis is not a word. Mis- is a prefix.

It probably makes you feel better to know that Trump also lacks the character to man up and admit when he has misspoken. It seems to be a trait he and his diehard fans share.

Mis is not a word. Mis- is a prefix.

It probably makes you feel better to know that Trump also lacks the character to man up and admit when he has misspoken. It seems to be a trait he and his diehard fans share.
    You aren't as smart as I thought you were. Or you are dishonest.

You aren't as smart as I thought you were. Or you are dishonest.
    Yeah?

How so?

No?

Got no conventional defense, got no good offense, got your bluff called. 'Tis a pity.

Last edited by acptulsa; 06-23-2020 at 10:34 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump never said we were going to do less testing, he was saying it in jest because people on the left don't understand basic math.
    Then why did he tell reporters he wasn’t kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ2 View Post
    Then why did he tell reporters he wasn’t kidding?
    Because he wasn't "joking", he wasn't trying to be funny or make a joke.. and if he said he was "kidding" it would have not only been inaccurate but it would have paved the way for them to say that he was making jokes about covid while people are dying.

He was saying it in jest, as I explained in great detail above, to expose how the media seems to understand that less testing = less cases = same amount of people infected, not less - but they don't understand or explain to people that more testing = more cases = same amount of people infected, not more..

The only part of the OP article that I care about.

Fauci said during the hearing that he does not regret the timing of when he told Americans to wear masks, explaining how the situation was different when concerns over shortages of personal protective equipment, or PPE, were more acute.

"I don't regret that -- because let me explain to you what happened. At that time, there was a paucity of equipment that our health care providers needed -- who put themselves daily in harm's way of taking care of people who are ill. We did not want to divert masks and PPE away from them, to be used by the people," he said.

"Now that we have enough, we recommend ... " Fauci began answering before he was cut off for the next question.

Fauci told lawmakers during the hearing that American's should avoid going into crowds, but if they must, they should wear a mask.
    For those who do go against public health guidance of avoiding crowds, Fauci urged, "Please wear a mask. And as you wear a mask, and you're in a situation where you're getting animated in a demonstration or in a rally or wherever you are, avoid -- as best as possible -- the urge to pull your mask down and shout."

Fauci said, "Plan A: Don't go in a crowd. Plan B: If you do, make sure you wear a mask."

Fauci lied to the American people about masks. And he should not be allowed to get away with it based on the "We were reserving them for health professionals" excuse. If he wanted to reserve masks for health professionals, that's what he should have said. The "I was trying to prevent a run on mask" excuse is just that...and excuse. In the early days of the pandemic masks were no where to be found. They cost $5.00 a piece for disposable ones when you could find them. That's because a lot of people instinctively knew that Fauci was lying. Now at a local corner store you can find masks for sale. Disposable masks are available a box of 50 for $40. And there are all kinds of people making masks. You still can't find masks at Walmart, but who cares? Why are there so many masks available now? The free market kicked in! People made masks. People started ordering directly from China through Ali-Baba. Once the government got out of the way the artificial scarcity ended.

As to the general point about "government shouldn't be involved in healthcare", I disagree. The constitution states among its purposes to "promote the general welfare" of the people of the United States. That means that, among other things, in the time of pandemic our borders should have been shut down sooner rather than later. That is one thing Trump actually did right.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    June 23, 2020

Washington (CNN) Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, told lawmakers Tuesday that the US will be increasing coronavirus testing, saying, "we're going to be doing more testing, not less," in response to President Donald Trump's recent claim that he asked his administration to slow down testing during the pandemic.

The testimony from Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, came during a House Energy and Commerce Committee hearing on the Trump administration's response to the coronavirus pandemic.

"To my knowledge, none of us have ever been told to slow down on testing. That just is a fact. In fact, we will be doing more testing," Fauci said on a witness panel of top officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration and the Department of Health and Human Services.

The spotlight is on testing after the President said in a shocking admission during his Tulsa, Oklahoma, rally on Saturday night that he had told officials in his administration to slow down coronavirus testing because of the rising number of cases in the country.

"When you do testing to that extent, you're going to find more people; you're going to find more cases. So I said to my people, slow the testing down please," Trump said.

After the President made the comment, multiple White House officials said that the President was joking. But Trump told a reporter on Monday, "I don't kid, let me just tell you, let me make it clear," when asked again if he was joking in his remarks over the weekend.

That wasn't the only time that Fauci broke with the President during the hearing. Asked if he has concerns about the President's decision to terminate the US relationship with the World Health Organization, Fauci responded, "Yes, I do," adding, "Despite any policy issues that come from higher up in the White House, we at the operational level continue to interact with the WHO in a very meaningful way, literally on a day by day basis."

Fauci gave a broad assessment of where the country stands amid the pandemic, warning that in some areas of the United States, "we're now seeing a disturbing surge of infections."

He said the next couple of weeks "are going to be critical in our ability to address those surges that we're seeing in Florida, in Texas, in Arizona, and in other states. They're not the only ones that are having a difficulty."

Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, is testifying along with CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield, HHS Assistant Secretary for Health Brett Giroir and FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn.

The hearing comes as the country continues to grapple with the devastating public health consequences of the pandemic, which has already claimed the lives of over 120,000 in the US.

Asked to assess the likelihood of developing a vaccine, Fauci said "I feel cautiously optimistic that we will be successful in getting a vaccine," adding, "I still think there is a reasonably good chance that by the very beginning of 2021 that, if we're going to have a vaccine, that we will have it by then."

CDC director says virus has 'brought this nation to its knees'

Covid-19 has "brought this nation to its knees," Redfield said Tuesday. "We've all done the best that we can do to tackle this virus," he said during the hearing.

But Redfield said that the virus has highlighted decades of underinvesting in the "core capabilities of public health data." Now is the time to fix the broken system, he added.

"This needs to be a partnership. It's not all the burden of the federal government to invest in public health at the local level," Redfield said. In reality, "if your funding of CDC was to go away tomorrow, public health infrastructure across this nation would just crash."

"We're right now the backbone of it," he added.

Redfield also said on Tuesday that getting a flu shot this year will save lives.

"CDC has begun to prepare for months ahead, when the next season's influenza illness will occur simultaneously, potentially, with Covid-19, increasing the challenges on hospitals, health care professionals and the public," Redfield said.

"This fall, before the seasonal circulation of influenza increase, I encourage the American people to be prepared and to embrace flu vaccination with confidence for yourself, your families in the communities," he said. "This single act will save lives."

Hearing addresses impact of institutional racism during the pandemic

Institutional racism in the United States contributes to the disproportional impact that the coronavirus pandemic has had on the Black community, Fauci, said on Tuesday, saying that the Black community has been facing a "double whammy."

Fauci noted that some Black adults may not be able to social distance if they are essential workers, and there is a disproportionate prevalence of underlying conditions within the Black community, such as hypertension, diabetes, obesity, chronic lung disease and kidney disease.

"So unfortunately we have a situation where it's sort of a double whammy," Fauci said.

"Obviously, the African American community has suffered from racism for a very, very long period of time," Fauci said. "I can't imagine that that is not contributing to the conditions that they find themselves in, economically or otherwise."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/23/polit...use/index.html
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Because he wasn't "joking", he wasn't trying to be funny or make a joke.. and if he said he was "kidding" it would have not only been inaccurate but it would have paved the way for them to say that he was making jokes about covid while people are dying.

He was saying it in jest, as I explained in great detail above, to expose how the media seems to understand that less testing = less cases = same amount of people infected, not less - but they don't understand or explain to people that more testing = more cases = same amount of people infected, not more..
    Trump never said it was in jest. That's what an aid said. This is what Trump said.

“It’s semi-tongue in cheek," the president told the Christian Broadcasting Network k. "I say it all the time. I know some people thought it was tongue in cheek. It’s unfair. We're doing so much testing, so much more than any other country. And to be honest with you, when you do more testing, you find more cases.”

Asked if he ordered his staff to stop coronavirus testing, Trump said: "No, but I think we put ourselves at a disadvantage. I told my people. I said, 'We've gotten so good at testing.'"

a woman standing in front of a building: Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany speaks during a press briefing at the White House on June 22, 2020 in Washington, DC.© Drew Angerer/Getty Images Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany speaks during a press briefing at the White House on June 22, 2020 in Washington, DC.
    "Instead of doing 25 million tests, let’s say we did 10 million tests," he added. "We'd look like we were doing much better, because we'd have far fewer cases."

Apparently in reference to whether he told them to stop testing, he added: "I wouldn't do that. But I will say this. We do so much more than other countries. It makes us, in a way, look bad, but actually we’re doing the right thing."

That said, he isn't wrong about the fact that more tests means more positive cases. There is a lot of dishonest reporting about COVID-19. One is that the media ignores the per capita numbers and looks at the total number to make the U.S. look worse than we are. Looking at the per capita numbers we are not the worst country by far. Then they turn around and use another stat and say "The U.S. only makes up 4% of the worlds population but 25% of the worlds COVID-19 cases." That stat ignores two things. 1) Many African countries and Haiti have reported almost ZERO COVID-19 cases. There is no official explanation as to why that is. But that skews the numbers. 2) China is most definitely lying about its numbers.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

PSA:

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner