Thread: Jim Jordan caves: PATRIOT Act to be Reauthorized

Jim Jordan caves: PATRIOT Act to be Reauthorized

The House unveiled new legislation Tuesday night to reform surveillance authorities used by the FBI to fight terrorism and overhaul the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) court process that has been under the microscope in the Russia probe.

Instead of a clean renewal of the expiring provisions, the USA Freedom Reauthorization Act contains multiple revisions, including enhanced congressional oversight of the FISA process, penalties for those who abuse the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) process for political purposes and the requirement to have transcripts of court proceedings. The current legislation is slated to expire Sunday.

"The deadline is now upon us and we must act," Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said Tuesday evening.

At issue are three surveillance provisions that are set to expire March 15, including one that permits the FBI to obtain court orders to collect business records on subjects in national security investigations. Another, known as the “roving wiretap” provision, permits surveillance on subjects even after they’ve changed phones, and to monitor subjects who don’t have ties to international terrorist organizations.

Nadler said the bill tightens up the legislation to avoid abuses but doesn't go far enough on ensuring civil liberties. "But we cannot let the perfect be the enemy of the good," Nadler said at a Rules Committee hearing Tuesday night when unveiling the legislation. "This bill is an important package of reforms."

A top Republican on the Judiciary Committee, Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan, agreed with Nadler that the legislation could have gone further, "but it does represent real reform." The revisions, he said, are much better than the current FBI surveillance tools that have come into focus with the botched FBI application to surveil former Trump campaign aide Carter Page in the Russia probe.

"This bill before us represents real reform to the FISA program," Jordan said in striking a bipartisan tone with Nadler. "These reforms have long been necessary but have been especially warranted in recent years, given the FBI spying on the Trump campaign affiliate Carter Page."

The bill seeks to rein in a controversial portion of the surveillance powers, known as Section 215, which gives the government broad powers to demand “business records” from companies in the name of national security investigations. In an effort to better protect privacy, the legislation would prohibit using Section 215 to acquire information that would otherwise require a warrant and would ban obtaining GPS and cell site locations, Nadler said.

The National Security Agency (NSA) previously used Section 215 to collect bulk phone data records, which was highly controversial. In recent years, the bulk metadata collection was outlawed and a narrowly tailored program was allowed, but now that program would be officially ended under the legislation.

“Unfortunately, this program proved technically difficult, widely expensive, and have limited value to the intelligence community," Nadler said. "The government shuttered the program voluntarily last year. This two-decade experiment has run its course and it’s our responsibility to bring it to its formal end.”

Attorney General William Barr and FBI Director Christopher Wray want Congress to renew the crime-fighting tools they argue are important to combatting terrorism.

The FBI calls the provisions vital in the fight against terrorism and stresses that none are tied to the surveillance problems identified by the Justice Department inspector general during the Russia investigation. The inspector general said in a report last year that the FBI made serious mistakes and omissions during four applications to eavesdrop on former Trump campaign adviser Page, including omitting information that did not support their suspicions that Page was an asset of a foreign government.

The new legislation requires the attorney general to personally sign off on surveilling government officials.

"The Page investigation did not require the sign off of the Attorney General," Jordan, R-Ohio, said. "... We now require the Attorney General to approve in writing any FISA investigation of an elected official or federal candidate."

The Justice Department IG found in December there was no evidence of political bias or improper motivation in starting the Trump Russia probe. However, the IG report revealed there were at least 17 "significant inaccuracies and omissions" in the Page FISA applications.

The bill would require the government to disclose all significant opinions of the FISA Court within 180 days. The legislation would also require a one-time historical review of the court’s opinions. There will be additional scrutiny for FISA applications and enhanced penalties for misrepresenting information to the FISA court to ensure the accuracy of the applications.

"There are penalties for giving false information to the court," Jordan said. "There are penalties for hiding information from the court, and there are penalties for leaking information about the application to the court."

Some lawmakers on the Rules Committee raised concerns that an attorney general may politicize an investigation.

The legislation is slated for a vote in the House as soon as Wednesday and lawmakers expressed optimism that Nadler and Jordan could work out a FISA deal, especially after the bitter impeachment fight.

"I'm pleasantly surprised this got done," said Rep. Debbie Lesko, R-Ariz.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hou...ward-with-fisa

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The ‘Deal' on FISA is weak sauce diluted & made impotent by A.G. Barr. None of the reforms prevent secret FISA court from abusing the rights of Americans. None of the reforms prevent a President of either party from a politically motivated investigation. Big Disappointment!
    — Senator Rand Paul (@RandPaul) March 10, 2020
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I am so disappointed that the substantive reforms some of us were offering to the #FISA reauthorization were not included.
    The introduced version would allow President @realDonaldTrump to be surveilled just as he was in 2016 based on what I’ve read.
    Any American is at risk. pic.twitter.com/tgokMXB04g
    — Rep Andy Biggs (@RepAndyBiggsAZ) March 10, 2020

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post

This will be interesting, Donald Trump is a big law and order type of guy. But this has effected him personally.

"The Patriarch"

wow
    surprising considering he wants me to VOTE for him this week... were leving town so I have to go to hamilton to vote, its kinda a drag. I am now less motivated to do so.
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Didn't think for one second that it wasn't going to be reauthorized.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Thumbs down REAL D&R surrender monkeys are up to their old, Deep State Swamp, tricks again

It's Bi-partisan, those REAL Republican & Democrat surrender monkeys, again.

Massie, Amash, Paul, Petersen
    God bless the RINO's, DINO's. 2nd party, Libertarians. & Independents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Once again highlighting the vast fundamental differences between Republicans and Democrats.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    It's Bi-partisan, those REAL Republican & Democrat surrender monkeys, again.

Massie, Amash, Paul, Petersen
    God bless the RINO's, DINO's. 2nd party, Libertarians. & Independents.
    Only one of them has the balls and can pull off being an Independent, sadly. That's just the way things are

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Once again highlighting the vast fundamental differences between Republicans and Democrats.
    yeah yer right...pointless...all of it...
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Gym Jordan is a creature of the administration. If the administration does not want reform, he will not actually do anything.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...SA-Court-Abuse
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Trump wants reform and will veto this bill.
    Donald Trump Teases Veto of FISA Bill

Jordan is miscalculating that this bill is sufficient reform.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment