Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KY - HOA bans 11 dog breeds

The Newfies are noted as being the most gentle of breeds while at the same time being one of the largest.

Which is a good thing, since my Newf is the strongest damn dog I have ever owned/handled.

If he took it in his head to attack, for whatever reason, I'm quite sure he would kill an average sized person.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    It's not silly. I've never been bitten by a large breed dog. Small breeds, yes.
    I take it back, this small breed mix, might be a bit intimidating if was vicious tempered as well.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The Newfies are noted as being the most gentle of breeds while at the same time being one of the largest.
    Which is a good thing, since my Newf is the strongest damn dog I have ever owned/handled.
    If he took it in his head to attack, for whatever reason, I'm quite sure he would kill an average sized person.
    Which is probably why all the near all the aggressive tendencies have been bred out of the breed, since it if was aggressive it would be more dangerous than a hundred toe biting aggressive small dogs.

With that said, there is a guy at my kids school that got one recently and he has been bringing it with him when going to pick up his kid, its totally out of control, yanks him around and wants to jump on -- in a friendly way -- anybody that gets near him.

I really want one of these,,

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Which is probably why all the near all the aggressive tendencies have been bred out of the breed, since it if was aggressive it would be more dangerous than a hundred toe biting aggressive small dogs.

With that said, there is a guy at my kids school that got one recently and he has been bringing it with him when going to pick up his kid, its totally out of control, yanks him around and wants to jump on -- in a friendly way -- anybody that gets near him.
    Ayup, that's a Newf.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Sorry.. my real life experience outweighs your fear filled propaganda..
    Uhh, mine? My propaganda?

I posted that pit bulls were bred for blood sports. Where is the lie?

Are you claiming that they are not a breed of dog specifically designed for blood sports? If so, Bring It, Baby!

Or are you just lamely asserting that your Weighty Pictures mean that it Does Not Matter(TM) that this is a breed of dog specifically designed for blood sports? Because, like, bring that, too, Pete. In this latter case you have already lost and conceded, but I will be happy to Rub It In(TM).

AHEM.

these are all potential GUARD DOGS who could play a factor in protecting their owner/ home when we, THEY, kick in each & every door to find WHATEVER the fuk they happen to be looking for this week.

WELCOM
    TO THE
    DESERT
    OF THE
    REEEEEL
    USSA

WE ARE HERE
    NOW WHAT?
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I'm actually with euphemia on this - the small terriers are way more dangerous than big dogs. Particularly to kids.
    I've never seen a big dog take a lighswitch, completely unexpected negative reaction to something - and when they do have a negative reaction I've never seen them not take immediate disciplinary action.
    FFS, I've done that with an 85% wolf hybrid before, and I was drunk to boot - I told him no, knocked him down, put my hand on his throat, and that was the end of that discussion, forever.
    The little terriers get something in their heads and go ape $#@!, and no amount of correction is going to stop them. If they're not on a leash then someone is getting bitten trying to get that $#@!er under control.
    If you can even call it under control... it's more like throwing the demon in a closet or somewhere he can take five minutes and calm the hell down. Great learning moment.

I just thank my lucky stars that the neighbor's miniature schnauzer only managed to bite my 3yo daughter's leg once when it went psychotic for no goddamned reason, and didn't manage to get through the denim: unlike mine, her young lesson in $#@!-a-bunch-of-dogs didn't break skin.

But all of that is beside the point. I'm sure the HOA ban targeting large dogs had nothing more behind it than a desire to keep large poops out of the neighborhood.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Dogs aside

Anyone who knowingly moves into a HOA has willingly and knowingly surrendered a sizable portion of their property rights.

If they disagree with a new rule they can move out.

No government mishandling here or violation of rights. Any dog can be dangerous if it chooses to be.

Edit to add- why anyone would live in a HOA is so far beyond me it would take a space shuttle to get me close.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I'm actually with euphemia on this - the small terriers are way more dangerous than big dogs. Particularly to kids.
    Yes, I think that's true. Different temperaments, just as you describe. I guess it's just that I'm more basically OK with danger at the level where it doesn't involve death. Danger and injury can even be healthy for the kiddos, in a way. Amp up the amygdala. So, I will choose somewhat-more-likely small danger over somewhat-less-likely life-ending danger.

It is my understanding that the vast majority of deadly dog attacks are caused by one particular breed. Care to guess which one?

That would be the pit bull.

There are tons of breeds of dogs.

Why would anyone choose the one that was selectively bred for its ability to snap and go berzerker?
    Last edited by H_H; 04-10-2018 at 12:53 PM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Edit to add- why anyone would live in a HOA is so far beyond me it would take a space shuttle to get me close.
    In a lot of areas, especially new development, it is surprisingly difficult to find places that are not HOA. Even empty lots to build on that are not in a HOA.

We have stayed in our neighborhood because it’s non-HOA. Any dog will be vicious if it feels threatened and it doesn’t really need a reason.
    Last edited by euphemia; 04-10-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I really want one of these,,

I thought the wooly mammoth was extinct.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Any dog will be viscous if it feels threatened

Hmm. May be true.

Any dog will be vicious if it feels threatened
    False.

Some dogs will never be vicious. Hot dogs, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    Yes, I think that's true. Different temperaments, just as you describe. I guess it's just that I'm more basically OK with danger at the level where it doesn't involve death. Danger and injury can even be healthy for the kiddos, in a way. Amp up the amygdala. So, I will choose somewhat-more-likely small danger over somewhat-less-likely life-ending danger.

It is my understanding that the vast majority of deadly dog attacks are caused by one particular breed. Care to guess which one?

That would be the pit bull.

There are tons of breeds of dogs.

Why would anyone choose the one that was selectively bred for its ability to snap and go berzerker?
    Actually the lineage was first used as a herding animal. They were breed to herd bulls. So successful with biting a bulls nose and getting it under control that there became competitions. Thus "bull-baiting." Which eventually evolved in to "bear-baiting" and eventually as these two animal competitions were outlawed into dog fighting. They were also hellacious "ratters."

So you are absolutely correct that they began to be breed as a blood sport canine.

The English brought them to America in the early 19th century. They were used on boar hunts and, yes, fighting. Their strength and determination are renown. And as such much maligned.

As Americans headed west the breed became more of an "all purpose breed." They were great herding dogs, both of sheep and cattle, excellent as guard dogs, and became known as very loyal family dogs with both an excellent demeanor and a very loving nature to children. I've witnessed this myself. I've never met a breed of dog that loves kids more. I've seen kids learn to walk grabbing on to a pitt-bull's skin to hold themselves up. Kids tugging their ears. Kids lying, with their full weight, on top of them. And the pitty's just smile their pitty smiles.

During the first half of the 20th century they became to be recognized as, not only a great working dog, but as companion animals. They actually became the "All American Dog" and were the largest breed owned by households. Go look at WWII advertisement. The Pitt Bull WAS America's favorite canine.

And then ass-hats decided to start beating them, starving them and fighting them.

But, as a breed. They're a very good dog. If raised right.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Actually the lineage was first used as a herding animal. They were breed to herd bulls. So successful with biting a bulls nose and getting it under control that there became competitions. Thus "bull-baiting." Which eventually evolved in to "bear-baiting" and eventually as these two animal competitions were outlawed into dog fighting. They were also hellacious "ratters."

So you are absolutely correct that they began to be breed as a blood sport canine.

The English brought them to America in the early 19th century. They were used on boar hunts and, yes, fighting. Their strength and determination are renown. And as such much maligned.

As Americans headed west the breed became more of an "all purpose breed." They were great herding dogs, both of sheep and cattle, excellent as guard dogs, and became known as very loyal family dogs with both an excellent demeanor and a very loving nature to children. I've witnessed this myself. I've never met a breed of dog that loves kids more. I've seen kids learn to walk grabbing on to a pitt-bull's skin to hold themselves up. Kids tugging their ears. Kids lying, with their full weight, on top of them. And the pitty's just smile their pitty smiles.

During the first half of the 20th century they became to be recognized as, not only a great working dog, but as companion animals. They actually became the "All American Dog" and were the largest breed owned by households. Go look at WWII advertisement. The Pitt Bull WAS America's favorite canine.
    I sincerely thank you for the history lesson. I do read 1950s-era magazines, and the ads are one of the most interesting parts, but I had not noticed this, I guess just 'cause there're not a lot of ads featuring dogs in PopMech and such.

Well that's fine and all, but the on-the-ground reality is they sure are killing a lot of people. That's a bit of a problem, eh?

Well that's fine and all, but the on-the-ground reality is they sure are killing a lot of people. That's a bit of a problem, eh?
    Maybe the consideration is the kinds of people who buy pit bulls. There have been some strange news stories recently, but we also have friends who own and breed American Bull Terriers and they don't have problems. They invest a lot of time and work in their dogs and have good pets as a result.

A few years ago we had a guy on the block who bred and trained Rottweillers. His dogs were always under perfect control.
    #NashvilleStrong

There have been some strange news stories recently, but we also have friends...

A few years ago we had a guy on the block...
    What's the solution, then, eu? Just accept that people are being killed and let them die?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Humphrey Bogart liked Newfies:

And Boxers

And Scottish Terriers (and guns)

Jimmy Stewart liked Newfs as well.

Robert Plant likes a Blue Eyed Merle, so much so he wrote a song about him.

"I suppose the truth is that I'd rather have a happy dog than a trained one. My dogs have never been good at things like 'sit', 'stay' or even 'come'. I think that we've given the tourists a few laughs, especially when the dogs hit the end of their leashes hard enough to drag Gloria down the street. I don't even mind it when the dogs jump up. Matthew showed us how to jerk the leash to correct that kind of thing. I suppose that it does have to be done — you know to keep them from knocking someone down or messing their clothes — but it seems kind of cruel to me. If my dog jumps up on me I figure that he wants to kiss my face and tell me that he thinks that I'm a really nice person. I don't believe that you should punish a dog for saying 'I love you.' When your dog's face is up looking at yours like that I think that you should tell him just how nice you think that he is too." - Jimmy Stewart

"I suppose the truth is that I'd rather have a happy dog than a trained one. My dogs have never been good at things like 'sit', 'stay' or even 'come'. I think that we've given the tourists a few laughs, especially when the dogs hit the end of their leashes hard enough to drag Gloria down the street. I don't even mind it when the dogs jump up. Matthew showed us how to jerk the leash to correct that kind of thing. I suppose that it does have to be done — you know to keep them from knocking someone down or messing their clothes — but it seems kind of cruel to me. If my dog jumps up on me I figure that he wants to kiss my face and tell me that he thinks that I'm a really nice person. I don't believe that you should punish a dog for saying 'I love you.' When your dog's face is up looking at yours like that I think that you should tell him just how nice you think that he is too." - Jimmy Stewart
    Why are dogs bad dancers?

Great Danes? Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Uhh, mine? My propaganda?

I posted that pit bulls were bred for blood sports.
    I will not deny they are used for such,, but terriers were bred and used for vermin control,, They were also used for Hunting,,and fighting..

People use and bet on Chickens fighting,, and Bugs Fighting..

It is not the dogs fault that humans abuse them.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 04-10-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

Nanny Dog is a term often applied.. and they are quite protective of their children.

Last edited by pcosmar; 04-10-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Great Danes? Seriously?
    Really.. another goofy gentile giant,
    I don't understand the irrational fear of dogs ..

My older brother was like that,, and my dogs knew it.. and would intimidate him..
    And "Little Bit" was quite friendly all her life.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What's the solution, then, eu? Just accept that people are being killed and let them die?
    Are you kidding? You would take away the inalienable right to own property and manage it the way an owner sees fit because some people are killed by dogs?

Do your homework, Sparky. More people die in car accidents (40,200 in 2016) than are killed by dogs (31 in 2016) in one year.
    #NashvilleStrong

Actually,, it is over-hyped.. Usually by people with a irrational fear to start with.

Like the fear of Guns.. overblown and out of proportion...and advocating more gun control because the last gun control didn't work (it never will).
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I have had dogs for many years. Presently have 2 Doberman's and a boxer. Rather than training a dog I find it is best to observe how they behave and then only intervene when necessary. Learn their natural desires and tendencies and then only modify things that need attention. Usually very little or nothing needs changing. When we understand what the dog will do naturally, we can simply modify how we coexist with dogs.

My memory would be Barney.. a 210 lb St, Bernard.. He outweighed me double. Wonderful friend.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast