Thread: Trump taps McCain's VP lawyer to vet his vice president

Trump taps McCain's VP lawyer to vet his vice president

The same person who recommended Sarah Palin, actually.

A.B. Culvahouse, a Washington attorney who vetted possible vice presidents to John McCain in 2008, will do the same for Donald Trump in 2016.

Culvahouse and Trump met earlier Wednesday, according to a source familiar with the meeting, and he has accepted a role to help investigate and choose potential running mates. Culvahouse is currently a partner at O'Melveny and Myers, and is also a former White House counsel.

Trump will also require his vice presidential prospects to submit their tax returns, which is standard in any search, according to a Trump adviser. Trump has not yet released his own returns, but has said he will do so when he is no longer under audit.

Culvahouse has taken considerable criticism for the 2008 process, which recommended that McCain choose then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who initially wilted under intense media scrutiny after her selection. He has defended his decision.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/18/politi...ice-president/
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    John McCain's lawyer is now officially anti establishment.

Right?
    The most important element of a free society, where individual rights are held in the highest esteem, is the rejection of the initiation of violence.

RON PAUL

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    The same person who recommended Sarah Palin, actually.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/18/politi...ice-president/
    Will Bill Kristol stop his #NeverTrump campaign now that he gets to pick the VP again?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by younglibertarian View Post
    John McCain's lawyer is now officially anti establishment.

Right?
    Why don't you ask Rand? https://ballotpedia.org/Rand_Paul_pr...advisors,_2016
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

It's happening?

Ben Carson: Sarah Palin Is on List of Potential Trump Vice Presidential Picks

Ben Carson says former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is being considered as a potential running mate for presumptive presidential nominee Donald Trump. In an interview with the Washington Post, the retired neurosurgeon revealed the real estate mogul is also considering several of his former primary opponents for the job. Ohio Gov. John Kasich, Sen. Marco Rubio, Sen. Ted Cruz, Sarah Palin, and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie “are all people on our list,” Carson told the Washington Post.

Palin herself had addressed the possibility last week, saying that while she’s “as vetted as anybody in the country could be vetted,” she may not be the best pick. "I want to help and not hurt, and I am such a realist that I realize there are a whole lot of people out there who would say, 'Anybody but Palin.' I wouldn't want to be a burden on the ticket, and I realize in many, many eyes, I would be that burden," the former vice presidential candidate said on CNN.

A few days ago, Trump told the Associated Press he had narrowed his list of potential vice presidents to “five or six” people but wouldn’t announce his choice until the Republican National Convention in July.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...ald_trump.html
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Nah. It'll be Megyn Kelly.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    It's happening?
    She took herself out of the running some time back.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Snowden seems like a smart guy; maybe he should be in Trumps lineup
    for SCOTUS or even Trump's VP, as long it's an election, not an execution.

Has Ed been against Trump's Border Wall? (WAS HE WEARING A BLINDFOLD?)

Ed might make a thoughtful SC justice or VP to spice things up only if it gets
    Trump more votes. Mentioning this consideration would certainly get free airtime.
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 05-19-2016 at 10:53 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I still think Trump may be in this to purposely lose the general. Sarah Palin would be an excellent choice for him to achieve that goal and hand the presidency to Clinton.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBull View Post
    I still think Trump may be in this to purposely lose the general. Sarah Palin would be an excellent choice for him to achieve that goal and hand the presidency to Clinton.

I thought it might be the guy with a larger part in Game Change
    (at 0:25 in above trailer with Shultz being played by Woody Harrelson), but that character is Rick Davis.

A.B. Culvahouse does have a smaller part in the movie from the full cast list.

I COULD see Trump in place of Palin in some scenes from the movie, sorta . . .

A few days ago, Trump told the Associated Press he had narrowed his list of potential vice presidents to “five or six” people
    but wouldn’t announce his choice until the Republican National Convention in July.

Last edited by Jan2017; 05-19-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    Snowden seems like a smart guy; maybe he should be in Trumps lineup
    for SCOTUS or even Trump's VP, as long it's an election, not an execution.

Has Ed been against Trump's Border Wall?

Ed might make a thoughtful SC justice or VP to spice things up only if it gets
    more votes. Mentioning this consideration would certainly get free airtime.
    That's a $#@!ing joke, right? You know he called Snowden a traitor who should be hanged....

: Double-Facepalm: I don't understand the mind of a Trump supporter....
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

People, Palin bowed out a week or more ago.
    ================

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    That's a $#@!ing joke, right? You know he called Snowden a traitor who should be hanged....

: Double-Facepalm: I don't understand the mind of a Trump supporter....
    It's sarcasm, Dude-
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    It's sarcasm, Dude-
    I can't tell anymore!!!! The damn Trumpsters have ruined my sarc-meter because they would literally say something so stupid like that!
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    People, Palin bowed out a week or more ago.
    We all know how truthful Palin is.
    There is no spoon.

I can't tell anymore!!!! The damn Trumpsters have ruined my sarc-meter because they would literally say something so stupid like that!
    Know the feeling.
    There is no spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sarah Palin is now Anti-Establishment.
    The most important element of a free society, where individual rights are held in the highest esteem, is the rejection of the initiation of violence.

RON PAUL

Quote Originally Posted by younglibertarian View Post
    Sarah Palin is now Anti-Establishment.
    She's a rogue maverick, dontcha know. Just like McCain.

And Trump.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Yeah, I know how you feel. It's like when a "libertarian" supports the overrun of our borders by illegal aliens.
    ================

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    She's a rogue maverick, dontcha know. Just like McCain.

And Trump.
    Careful, now, You could wind up in contempt of court.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-..._b_124997.html

James Garner, who played the original Maverick - Bret - on TV, has filed a restraining order on behalf of Jack Kelly (Bart) , Roger Moore (Beau) and Robert Colbert (Brent), demanding that John McCain and Sarah Palin cease and desist referring to themselves as Maverick or Mavericks.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

...say something so stupid like that!
    I am sorry. I've edited my post.

POTUS 2016 election is a hoot (would be funny if not so serious)

Does that just guarantee Palin again as VPOTUS?

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Brian nailed it... Billy Kristol gets to pick the VP

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Brian nailed it... Billy Kristol gets to pick the VP
    Now we just need to look at Kristol's short list.

Assuming he wants a diversity ticket, we have Rubio, Condi, maybe Nikki, dare he suggest Liz Cheney?

Otherwise, Cotton is always near the top. Maybe Sasse now. Giuliani is also from New York, so not as much benefit there. Same problem with Christie, plus Christie has no respect left at all.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Run on a Ticket With Donald Trump? No, Thanks, Many Republicans Say

It’s a time-honored tradition for politicians to deny any interest in the vice presidency. But this year, with the possibility of Donald J. Trump as the Republican nominee, they really mean it.

“Never,” said Chris Schrimpf, a spokesman for Gov. John Kasich of Ohio, who is still running against Mr. Trump. “No chance.”

“Hahahahahahahahaha,” wrote Sally Bradshaw, a senior adviser to Jeb Bush, when asked if he would consider it.

“Scott Walker has a visceral negative reaction to Trump’s character,” said Ed Goeas, a longtime adviser to the Wisconsin governor.

Or, as Senator Lindsey Graham put it, “That’s like buying a ticket on the Titanic.”

A remarkable range of leading Republicans, including Gov. Nikki Haley of South Carolina and Senator Jeff Flake of Arizona, have been emphatic publicly or with their advisers and allies that they do not want to be considered as Mr. Trump’s running mate. The recoiling amounts to a rare rebuke for a front-runner: Politicians usually signal that they are not interested politely through back channels, or submit to the selection process, if only to burnish their national profiles.

But Mr. Trump has a singular track record of picking fights with obvious potential running mates like Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, who has indicated a lack of interest in the vice presidency generally and has yet to reconcile with Mr. Trump publicly. Ms. Haley and another potential pick, Gov. Susana Martinez of New Mexico, have sharply criticized Mr. Trump at recent party gatherings and do not want to be associated with his sometimes-angry tone, according to advisers and close associates who have spoken with these Republicans.

Several Republican consultants said their clients were concerned that Mr. Trump’s unusually high unfavorable ratings with all voters and his unpopularity among women and Hispanics could doom him as a general election candidate and damage their own future political prospects if they were on his ticket.

Still, elected officials do have a way of coming around to the vice presidency, and Mr. Trump said in an interview on Saturday that he was in the early stages of mending fences and building deeper relationships with leading Republicans. And in a sign of growing acceptance that Mr. Trump is their likely nominee, several Republicans made it clear that they would join him on the ticket because they think he can win, or because they regard the call to serve as their duty.

Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker, as well as Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama and the retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, said in interviews that they would consider joining the ticket if Mr. Trump offered. Two governors, Chris Christie of New Jersey and Mary Fallin of Oklahoma, have also told allies that they were open to being Mr. Trump’s running mate.

“If a potential president says I need you, it would be very hard for a patriotic citizen to say no,” Mr. Gingrich said. “People can criticize a nominee, but ultimately there are very few examples of people turning down the vice presidency.”

Mr. Trump, who could well become the presumptive Republican nominee on Tuesday by winning the Indiana primary, is just starting to mull vice-presidential prospects and has no favorite in mind, he said in the interview. Mr. Trump said he wanted someone with “a strong political background, who was well respected on the Hill, who can help me with legislation, and who could be a great president.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/us...president.html

If he doesn't pick Sarah Palin, it will probably be:

Yeah, I know how you feel. It's like when a "libertarian" supports the overrun of our borders by illegal aliens.
    Otherwise known as the freedom to move around without first jumping through hoops mandated by goons with guns.
    Be careful when you pry my gun from my cold dead hands, the barrel will be hot.

As a libertarian I believe you can deal with anyone however you want that trespasses on your property. I don't believe that government should take my wealth at gun point to build a wall to protect your property.

Can you quote a libertarian doing that?