Thread: Ohio Issue 1, Drug and Criminal Justice Policies Initiative

Ohio Issue 1, Drug and Criminal Justice Policies Initiative

Seems like a no-brainer.

Issue 1, according to the measure's text, was designed to reduce the number of people in state prisons for low-level, nonviolent crimes, such as drug possession and non-criminal probation violations.[6]

The initiative would make the possession, obtainment, and use of drugs no more than a misdemeanor, with sentences not exceeding probation for a first or second offense. Issue 1 would not change the classification of first-, second-, or third-degree drug-related felonies, such as the sale, distribution, or trafficking of drugs. The initiative would also allow individuals serving convictions higher than a misdemeanor for possession, obtainment, and use of drugs to petition the court for re-sentencing.[6]

Courts would be prohibited from ordering that persons on probation for felonies be sent to prison for non-criminal probation violations. The ballot initiative would require the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction (DRC) to grant an inmate with sentence credits of 0.5 days for each day that the person participated in rehabilitative, work, or educational programs.[6]

The ballot initiative would require that state funds saved due to a reduction of inmates, resulting from the initiative's implementation, be spent on substance abuse treatment programs, crime victim programs, probation programs, graduated responses programs, and rehabilitation programs.[6]

Issue 1 would not be applied to individuals convicted of murder, rape, or child molestation.
    https://ballotpedia.org/Ohio_Issue_1...tiative_(2018)

D's are all for it and R's are all against it.

Even for those who like team red, this seems like a perfect time to go against them.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Seems like a no-brainer.

D's are all for it and R's are all against it.

Even for those who like team red, this seems like a perfect time to go against them.

But, but Republicans are ALWAYS better than Dems. I know because the most knowledgable and wise Swordsmyth told me so. And Trump did too, so there's that.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    But, but Republicans are ALWAYS better than Dems. I know because the most knowledgable and wise Swordsmyth told me so. And Trump did too, so there's that.

Oooo! Neg rep on this from one of the biggest Trump humpers on the forums. I must be doing something right.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Oooo! Neg rep on this from one of the biggest Trump humpers on the forums. I must be doing something right.
    I can't imagine who that could be.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I can't imagine who that could be.

Just in the interest of honest disclosure, if you were thinking it was Swordy, it wasn't. I just didn't want to give the guy any more attention, which I believe he craves.

I always just laugh off -reps anyway. I almost never give them and have observed that they're almost always used in a childishly spiteful attemt to "get back" at someone the -repper doesn't like. Seems kind of idiotic to me. Cowardly too. If I have something negative to say to or about someone, I say it out in the open, or most of the time just keep my peace and move on. That way they can at least defend themselves if they so choose.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 11-05-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    Chris

I always just laugh off -reps anyway. I almost never give them and have observed that they're almost always used in a childishly spiteful attemt to "get back" at someone the -repper doesn't like. Seems kind of idiotic to me.
    If their -rep makes me laugh enough at their level of butthurt, I tend to +rep them back and thank or congratulate them.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    If their -rep makes me laugh enough at their level of butthurt, I tend to +rep them back and thank or congratulate them.

Hey! That's a good idea! +rep
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just in the interest of honest disclosure, if you were thinking it was Swordy, it wasn't. I just didn't want to give the guy any more attention, which I believe he craves.

I always just laugh off -reps anyway. I almost never give them and have observed that they're almost always used in a childishly spiteful attemt to "get back" at someone the -repper doesn't like. Seems kind of idiotic to me. Cowardly too. If I have something negative to say to or about someone, I say it out in the open, or most of the time just keep my peace and move on. That way they can at least defend themselves if they so choose.
    Wasn't thinking of SwordGuy- but I agree whole heartedly.

I have given one -rep in my time on the forum & was immediately sorry for it- was going through a hard time, personally, & I think that colored my thinking. Gave the dude a +rep & apologized- just not my way of dealing w/opposite POVs.
    There is no spoon.

Neg rep for being pro-liberty? Sad times.

Quote Originally Posted by homahr View Post

I know, right? Place has definitely seen better days. But hey, if enough of us who still remeber what advocating for liberty is really about continue to hammer those points home, maybe it'll start attracting some of the other old guard back, and help to balance out the riff raff.
    Chris

I think it's good to decriminlize but the bad part of this is no money is saved and government is not reduced. They are redirecting spending to support addiction rehab, creating a new welfare system, that doesn't even work as most addicts drop out and continue abusing drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    I think it's good to decriminlize but the bad part of this is no money is saved and government is not reduced. They are redirecting spending to support addiction rehab, creating a new welfare system, that doesn't even work as most addicts drop out and continue abusing drugs.
    Yeah, it's not perfect, but that's not a reason to vote against it, IMO. I'm sure there'll be some clever accounting going into what "savings" are derived (after all, the police state keeps growing so does the implementation of the bill consider those projected growth costs? Their projections are always low, so if that continues, then there will be real savings here.)

But still, if this takes power away from police, all the better. They use threat of arrest as a means to get all sorts of pleas and info on other matters... Taking this tool away is a nice step for liberty.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Ideally, gov should not be involved at all with drugs but if it will be involved, I would rather gov look at this as a health issue vs a criminal issue that requires policing.

Ideally, gov should not be involved at all with drugs but if it will be involved, I would rather gov look at this as a health issue vs a criminal issue that requires policing.
    Agreed. I just see the ancillary benefits of this type of initiative. I just can't envision a SWAT team busting into a house to make sure the inhabitants go to rehab.

Wrong.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Wrong.
    Negative.

Negative.
    No, you were completely wrong, they were not being -repped for being pro-liberty - they were being -repped for lying about another poster.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    No, you were completely wrong, they were not being -repped for being pro-liberty - they were being -repped for lying about another poster.
    Wrong. Quite the accusation from the saudi-pedo-rapist supporter.

Because there is always more than one issue in the world.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

- rep
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    - rep

LOL!
    Chris

Any reduction in unjust imprisonment is a good thing, but remember this- the same Dems that claim to want this, want to see you jailed for exercising your 1st and 2nd Amendment Rights.

"Heck- yeah! Smoke another bowl, friend... Free abortion and weed for everyone! But... hey... umm... you didn't use the wrong pronoun or carry a firearm, did'ja? 'Cause we just freed up some room over in Shawshank for you Constitutionalist Sons of Bitchin' Nazis.

-Democrats

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Indian View Post
    Any reduction in unjust imprisonment is a good thing, but remember this- the same Dems that claim to want this, want to see you jailed for exercising your 1st and 2nd Amendment Rights.

"Heck- yeah! Smoke another bowl, friend... Free abortion and weed for everyone! But... hey... umm... you didn't use the wrong pronoun or carry a firearm, did'ja? 'Cause we just freed up some room over in Shawshank for you Constitutionalist Sons of Bitchin' Nazis.

-Democrats
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Measured failed gloriously. 64% to 35%. Thanks, GOP.

The big winner in the state of Ohio were the incumbents. They all won. Every single one. Even down to the Ohio House races. Proving that, at least in Ohio, the R or D doesn't matter as long as you have the (i) after your name.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Measured failed gloriously. 64% to 35%. Thanks, GOP.

The big winner in the state of Ohio were the incumbents. They all won. Every single one. Even down to the Ohio House races. Proving that, at least in Ohio, the R or D doesn't matter as long as you have the (i) after your name.
    YOU DON'T SAY! WHO COULD EVER HAVE FORESEEN SUCH A THING?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12