Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increasingly Popular Ghost Guns Fuel an 'Epidemic of Violence', says NYT

Increasingly Popular Ghost Guns Fuel an 'Epidemic of Violence', says NYT

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/21/11...lence-says-nyt

Untraceable "ghost guns" assembled from parts bought online "can be ordered by gang members, felons and even children," writes the New York Times.

They call the guns "increasingly the lethal weapon of easy access around the U.S., but especially California," based on interviews with law enforcement officials in Los Angeles, Oakland, San Diego and San Francisco:

Over the past 18 months, the officials said, ghost guns accounted for 25 to 50 percent of firearms recovered at crime scenes. The vast majority of suspects caught with them were legally prohibited from having guns. "I've been on the force for 30 years next month, and I've never seen anything like this," said Lt. Paul Phillips of the San Diego Police Department, who this year organized the force's first unit dedicated to homemade firearms. By the beginning of October, he said, the department had recovered almost 400 ghost guns, about double the total for all of 2020 with nearly three months to go in the year.

Law enforcement officials are not exactly sure why their use is taking off. But they believe it is basically a matter of a new, disruptive technology gradually gaining traction in a market, then rocketing up when buyers catch on. This isn't just happening on the West Coast. Since January 2016, about 25,000 privately made firearms have been confiscated by local and federal law enforcement agencies nationwide... There is a huge surfeit of supplies in circulation, enough to supply dealers who sell pre-assembled guns, via social media platforms or the dark web, for years. At the same time, the increasing availability of 3-D printers, which can create the plastic and metal components of guns, has opened a new backdoor source of illegal weapons for gangs and drug dealers who would otherwise have to steal them.

"This isn't going away," said Los Angeles city attorney, Mike Feuer...

Brian Muhammad, who works with at-risk young people in Stockton, said he recently asked a group of teenagers where they got their guns. "Did you drive to Vegas?" he asked, referring to Nevada's looser gun laws. They looked at him as if he were crazy.

"Who would do that?" one of them replied. "You order them in pieces using your phone."
    Um. NO.

The "Epidemic of Violence" is caused by NOTHING ELSE BUT depriving the ordinary citizen the ability to defend themselves.

So what do the propose as the solution? Only the VERY THING that leads to CONFISCATION which is GUN REGISTRATION.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    3D printer go brrrrrrr ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Now wait a minute! Are you trying to tell me that prohibition doesn't work!? Are you trying to tell me that when you ban things, people figure out a way to acquire them anyway!? Nonsense! This can't be!

Ammo control up next.

Can't 3D print a primer or lead styphnate or nitrocellulose.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

The only epidemic that's going on right now is Communism and Marxism.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

The vast majority of suspects caught with them were legally prohibited from having guns.
    Hmmm. They were already on the “no gun” list. Maybe if they put an asterisk next to their names that will prevent them from getting the next gun?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ammo control up next.

Can't 3D print a primer or lead styphnate or nitrocellulose.
    http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    3D printer go brrrrrrr ...
    https://twitter.com/dailykos/status/1462628526155313159
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-10-2022 at 04:51 PM. Reason: replaced tweet with image

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I call bull$#@!.

I don't believe that printed or 80% lowers are being used anywhere near on the scale they're reporting.

If at all.

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-10-2022 at 04:54 PM.

Apparently the ATF is considering a rule to re-define 80% lowers as firearms.

I'd encourage everyone to go ahead and stock up on a few 80% lowers... they are not expensive, and they can be milled later with just a drill press
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I call bull$#@!.

I don't believe that printed or 80% lowers are being used anywhere near on the scale they're reporting.

If at all.
    I was recently in the process of building my first 80% lower but I've already lost it in a boating accident.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Hmmm. They were already on the “no gun” list. Maybe if they put an asterisk next to their names that will prevent them from getting the next gun?
    They are invariably hispanic and/or black. Asterisk for that?

I would support it, but then again, that's because I'm a White Christian separatist.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I was recently in the process of building my first 80% lower but I've already lost it in a boating accident.
    If I were in a free state, that's all I would be doing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fosscad/
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

Last edited by unknown; 01-11-2022 at 05:25 PM.
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

Last edited by unknown; 01-11-2022 at 05:26 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pro-tip for 80% lowers.... don't be lazy on setting up your vise.... get a proper X/Y vise and secure it properly
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Pro-tip for 80% lowers.... don't be lazy on setting up your vise.... get a proper X/Y vise and secure it properly
    Or you could be lazy and get a Ghost Gunner (see above).

TBH, I would just start printing, also see above.

Or you could be lazy and get a Ghost Gunner (see above).
    I might do that also. I figured I may as well learn some basic machining while I'm at it, so I'm not just completely useless with this stuff

TBH, I would just start printing, also see above.
    I don't think the materials are there yet? For an effective duty weapon, comparable to aluminum or even glock style polymers
    - Kim Kardashian

You're right, it's not up to an aluminum AR receiver but think about a Glocks polymer frame.

Everything else is metal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fosscad/com...hanger_i_cant/

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Now wait a minute! Are you trying to tell me that prohibition doesn't work!? Are you trying to tell me that when you ban things, people figure out a way to acquire them anyway!? Nonsense! This can't be!
    AL Smith thought Prohibition turned into a very bad idea. He lost very badly in 1928 to Herbert Hoover.

You're right, it's not up to an aluminum AR receiver but think about a Glocks polymer frame.

Everything else is metal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fosscad/com...hanger_i_cant/
    Are the 3d printed polymers up to Glock level quality now?

If so, that's a pretty good development
    - Kim Kardashian

- Kim Kardashian

Pro-tip, an AR-15 lower has to be milled pretty $#@!ing precisely in order for the safety to work. The other functions have much better tolerances. (at least when using a drop-in trigger)

Looking forward to trying out that GG3
    - Kim Kardashian

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Ghost guns are OK. Just make sure if you and a buddy go shooting, you don't cross the beams.

https://twitter.com/michaelmalice/st...16376004911107

"YOUR WELCOME" with Michael Malice #190: Cody Wilson
    Michael Malice invites gun-rights activist, and founder of Defense Distributed Cody Wilson onto the show to chat about open-source gun designs, the second amendment, and how Cody is fighting the war against the suppression of legal gun ownership. They also discuss how some political administrations are inherently hypocritical when it comes to legislation, regulation, and fundamental beliefs.
    https://odysee.com/@MichaelMalice:6/...l-malice-190:3

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

"YOUR WELCOME" with Michael Malice #265: Cody Wilson
    Michael Malice (“YOUR WELCOME”) welcomes gun rights activist and founder of Defense Distributed, Cody Wilson, onto the show to discuss the current legislation regarding “ghost guns”, his battles for the rights of gun owners across America, and why bans on gun manufacturing are fundamentally opposed to what the Founding Fathers believed in and fought for.
    https://odysee.com/@MichaelMalice:6/...l-malice-265:5

https://twitter.com/michaelmalice/st...11833784446976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast