Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: DJIA, NYSE, S&P = CRASH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    A month ago I was expecting , this summer , to see 1390 gold and silver near 20 . I would expect , now to see silver go higher. I am only guessing. Currently Gold is nearly 1340 , silver , nearly 19 1/3 .

Any chance gold can see a decent dip you think?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by orafi View Post
    Hard to tell , ya could buy some silver and see what gold does .

Gold seems to be a lot slower on the down side than stocks are (a lot less volume for one). While you can see a short bump in the price when some bad economic news breaks, it takes a longer time for it to work its way back down.

Gold is great but silver is the one to watch. Has anyone seen silver rise $1.15+ in a single day as it did yesterday? I can't recall it. That's a huge move for silver. Looks like the rough 16-1 silver-gold ratio is coming back in bits and pieces. Still a long way to go but that's the direction imo. The next 6 months is gonna be an amazing time to watch metals. It'll also be a really crappy time when it's realized that metals are constant value, only the currencies are being revalued.

I think that ship has sailed. Buy what you can while it's still available. Silver is the better value though as far as sheer potential dollar-denominated gains are concerned. Silver mining is also more of a byproduct of industrial mining operations than gold so silver availability tends to follow industrial output. Less industry = less silver.
    Last edited by devil21; 07-02-2016 at 10:53 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I think the big move will happen when the Fed changes course and cuts rate back to zero and launches QE4. That's when you'll see huge moves up in gold that will dwarf anything happening now.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Gold is great but silver is the one to watch. Has anyone seen silver rise $1.15+ in a single day as it did yesterday? I can't recall it. That's a huge move for silver. Looks like the rough 16-1 silver-gold ratio is coming back in bits and pieces. Still a long way to go but that's the direction imo. The next 6 months is gonna be an amazing time to watch metals. It'll also be a really crappy time when it's realized that metals are constant value, only the currencies are being revalued.

I think that ship has sailed. Buy what you can while it's still available. Silver is the better value though as far as sheer potential dollar-denominated gains are concerned. Silver mining is also more of a byproduct of industrial mining operations than gold so silver availability tends to follow industrial output. Less industry = less silver.
    Yes, a looong ways to go. At $1300 an ounce for gold, that is $81 an ounce for silver.

When was the last time we saw this mythical 16- 1 gold/ silver ratio? If the value of both metals are constant and only the currency changes shouldn't the ratio be a straight line?

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-02-2016 at 02:04 PM.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Aaaaaand silver rockets past $20/oz. Fireworks indeed!

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Silver 20.47 and Gold 1349 .

hitting new all time highs for S&P

Why are stocks going up?? There is nothing but bad news globally! Fake gains are fake gains!
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Helicopter Ben has told Japan, "more cowbell". Japan has obliged. Markets responding.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    I hope you are raking it in .

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Why are stocks going up?? There is nothing but bad news globally! Fake gains are fake gains!
    Helicopter money is on the table.

simply not true, corporate profits are up for a lot of sectors, stabilization of the energy market too. Also, because of the brexit hysteria, people are tripping over each other to buy our treasuries, driving the yields down below 1.5%.

With such a pitiful yield, safe boring equities, (the Compass Mineral (rock salt), MacDonalds, Coca-colas, Walmarts, and Altrias of the world), that pay much more than that in dividends (in many case more than double) just for holding become very attractive.
    Last edited by Dforkus; 07-12-2016 at 11:09 AM.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    American, Canadian and British stocks have held up fine...have you looked at all the stock markets of Europe, Japan and the rest of the world? HORRENDOUS performances in the last year or so, specifically from the New Year on...and that's with a sizeable bounce up in the last 1-2 weeks.

"Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

DOW broke record today.

It was yuuuuuge!

Somewhere, Zippyjuan is smiling.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Are we crashing yet?

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    DOW broke record today.

It was yuuuuuge!

Somewhere, Zippyjuan is smiling.
    This means Jordan and Brandon are filthy rich and should buy me a drink .

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Are we crashing yet?
    Might be time to get this crashing show on the road today. We shall see what comes out of the Hole.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/26/fed-c...engthened.html

Yellen: Case for raising rates has strengthened 'in recent months'

In a much-anticipated speech Friday at the central bank's annual Jackson Hole summit, Fed Chair Janet Yellen voiced optimism about the economy and an expectation that interest rate hikes are ahead.

Speaking as the market wonders when the Fed will resume a policy tightening that began in December, Yellen issued some cautionary tones, but pointed to more increases on the horizon.

The Federal Open Market Committee "continues to anticipate that gradual increases in the federal funds rate will be appropriate over time to achieve and sustain employment and inflation near our statutory objectives," Yellen said in prepared remarks.

More pointedly, she added, "Indeed, in light of the continued solid performance of the labor market and our outlook for economic activity and inflation, I believe the case for an increase in the federal funds rate has strengthened in recent months."

After she spoke, Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer told CNBC the August jobs report being released next Friday "will probably weigh in our decision, along with other data that may come in."

James Bullard, another voting member of the FOMC, told CNBC earlier Friday that the Sept. 20-21 Fed meeting might be a good time to raise rates. And Loretta Mester, who is also a voting member, told CNBC before Yellen spoke that she expects to some signs of strengthening in the U.S. economy in the second half of 2016.

Government bond yields quickly moved higher after Yellen's remarks were released, while stocks were lower in early afternooon trading. The U.S. dollar was flat against the euro but down 0.3 percent against a basket of global currencies.

"The pre-prepared text from Yellen's speech at Jackson Hole today didn't necessarily offer much in the way of surprises but it did confirm one thing, there is now a clear and public hawkish consensus building within the Fed and Chair Yellen is on board," said Craig Erlam, senior market analyst at currencies trading platform OANDA.

After digesting Yellen's remarks, traders moved up the chances of a rate hike in the months ahead.

The possibility of a December hike, around 50 percent before Yellen's remarks, moved up to 60.2 percent, according to the CME. The market continues to doubt anything happening in September — less than two months before the presidential election — though the probability for a move jumped to 30 percent.

Finally! If the Democratic nominee on the verge of stepping down (and possibly being arrested but that's a hunch) doesn't set this damn selloff in motion then nothing will.

Dow futures -100 already.

historic s&p 500 pe ratio is 15-16x , now 23-24x , the market could go down about 35% to get to historic levels .

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Let it all crash and burn.
    I am the spoon.

“We’re fragile right now,” said Kevin Kelly, chief investment officer at Recon Capital Partners LLC in Greenwich, Connecticut, which oversees $350 million. “It’s already priced into the market that Hillary Clinton is going to be president so right now anything that changes that narrative is going to give the market a pause to consider what that would mean.”
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...erable-markets

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Let it all crash and burn.
    I don't think you really know what that means. If I thought for one minute that a crash and burn would result in a market-clearing, I might be able to agree. But I have seen no evidence to suggest that that would happen. In reality, I'd expect us to be living through some serious pain and suffering for an extended period of time.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I don't think you really know what that means. If I thought for one minute that a crash and burn would result in a market-clearing, I might be able to agree. But I have seen no evidence to suggest that that would happen. In reality, I'd expect us to be living through some serious pain and suffering for an extended period of time.
    I wasn't serious. Boobus wouldn't learn a thing from it.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    This means Jordan and Brandon are filthy rich and should buy me a drink .
    Umm, it hadn't gone up that much.

My hope would be that this thread might educate some on the difficulties associated with trying to predict the market. Presence made a prediction. Was it right? By all means! Smacked right out of the park. It was a great one; one for the ages! A pundit might have a clear-cut winner of a prediction like that once in a lifetime; more likely none in a lifetime.

Even with that..... would you have made money over the last year following his advice?

And if you can't make money on such a clear grand-slam winner of a call, what hope can you have of ever making money, of making money on calls that may be less once-in-a-lifetime, more humdrum?

Better, in my opinion, to be diversified, to have some gold -- a good chunk of gold -- and be safe no matter what may happen with the market.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post

My hope would be that this thread might educate some on the difficulties associated with trying to predict the market. Presence made a prediction. Was it right? By all means! Smacked right out of the park. It was a great one; one for the ages! A pundit might have a clear-cut winner of a prediction like that once in a lifetime; more likely none in a lifetime.

Even with that..... would you have made money over the last year following his advice?

And if you can't make money on such a clear grand-slam winner of a call, what hope can you have of ever making money, of making money on calls that may be less once-in-a-lifetime, more humdrum?

Better, in my opinion, to be diversified, to have some gold -- a good chunk of gold -- and be safe no matter what may happen with the market.

I am covered , I will be here in luxury with my authentic flannel sheets .

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post

]
    Not being able to time a market does not mean one cannot gain from being in that market. The price of gold cannot be timed either. If you bought in 1980 you still have less value when adjusted for inflation. If you bought then, the price in dollars fell over the next 20 years. Gold's recent peak was $1900 in 2011. Had you bought then, you would be losing money today. If you bought at the start of this year, you would be doing pretty good. What will it (or stocks or other investment) do in the future? Nobody knows. Nothing is certain. There is no guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Finally! If the Democratic nominee on the verge of stepping down (and possibly being arrested but that's a hunch) doesn't set this damn selloff in motion then nothing will.

Dow futures -100 already.
    Dow up 250 pts so far today
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast