Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Betsy Devos (Ed. Sec.) Had A Bad Day In The Senate

Betsy Devos (Ed. Sec.) Had A Bad Day In The Senate

I watched a lot of the senate hearing for Betsy Devos and it was really bad... I don't have anything against her, but her answers were not well thought out and those democratic senators had a field day with her.... I think it was so bad, it might even be enough to sink her nomination.

Did anyone else watch? She was asked about guns in schools and said, as an example, that a school in Wyoming needed guns in case of grizzly bears. She was completely unfamiliar with federal laws regarding children with disabilities, and it was a general bad day for her.... She came off as an elitist multibillionaire donor with no real experience or knowledge.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not sure about Devos but from what I saw the Democrats came across as a bunch of disconnected, ignorant, nincompoops.

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    Not sure about Devos but from what I saw the Democrats came across as a bunch of disconnected, ignorant, nincompoops.
    They were openly hostile to her, but she brought it on herself, imo... she was wholly ignorant of many issues that any ed sec nom should know.....
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

I only saw one clip, where Franken was asking her about the debate between measuring proficiency and growth, and the OP accurately describes what happened there.

It reminded me of the Harriet Miers hearings.

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    This.

Dems seem more interested in speechifying and gotcha questions than in the education of America's kids. That seems to be the MO of every committee.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

She didn't seem very prepared at all, not sure what kind of questions she expected to get. Most likely the incoming POTUS put her up as a favor to her brother.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Much of the questioning was very off-topic. I'm not sure there is a way to prepare for that.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Much of the questioning was very off-topic. I'm not sure there is a way to prepare for that.
    I didn't see anything other than the proficiency/growth questioning, which she definitely should have been prepared for. What questions do you have in mind?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    I didn't see anything other than the proficiency/growth questioning, which she definitely should have been prepared for. What questions do you have in mind?
    There were many questions about personal wealth and blah, blah, blah, just like all the other hearings. De Vos is heir to the Amway empire. Of all the committee members, Senator Paul was the only one who asked actual questions. He's been very good in every hearing.

Chair Senator Alexander had to do quite a bit of moderating because Dems spent a lot of time asking for more time for questioning. He basically said these nominees would be treated according to the same rules as Obama's appointees.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

There were many questions about personal wealth and blah, blah, blah, just like all the other hearings. De Vos is heir to the Amway empire. Of all the committee members, Senator Paul was the only one who asked actual questions. He's been very good in every hearing.

Chair Senator Alexander had to do quite a bit of moderating because Dems spent a lot of time asking for more time for questioning. He basically said these nominees would be treated according to the same rules as Obama's appointees.
    The question I saw from Franken was definitely on topic. And she definitely showed herself to be not up to the job of Education Secretary in just that one.

She's pro Common Core (renamed Higher Standards now).
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    She's pro Common Core (renamed Higher Standards now).
    Yeah, one thing that was clear was that she does want the federal government to be in charge of schools.

She is not in favor of Common Core.

In the EPA Administrator confirmation hearing, I'm just shaking my head. Senator Merkley (D-OR) has spent a long time talking about asthma and blah, blah, blah. He doesn't have asthma. I do. When he held up the inhaler I wanted to vomit. I went from a generic inhaler at $5 copay and about $20 without insurance, to an inhaler that is $160. The EPA outlawed the old propellant, and pushed a new propellant that is way more expensive and does not deliver the medicine nearly as well as the old one. Thanks a whole lot for that. Fortunately, I found an online coupon so I can afford meds for about 10 more months, no thanks to the government.
    #NashvilleStrong

Her estate has large stakes in federal college loan collection corporations and her brother is Blackwater's Erik Prince (styles himself after CIA's Bill Donovan). That's all I needed to see.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    They were openly hostile to her, but she brought it on herself, imo... she was wholly ignorant of many issues that any ed sec nom should know.....
    Dude, there shouldn't even be an ed sec, I have no idea what you are talking about. The federal government should have NOTHING to do with education..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Dude, there shouldn't even be an ed sec, I have no idea what you are talking about. The federal government should have NOTHING to do with education..
    I agree. I think that's part of the rub.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Her estate has large stakes in federal college loan collection corporations and her brother is Blackwater's Erik Prince (styles himself after CIA's Bill Donovan). That's all I needed to see.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I agree. I think that's part of the rub.
    It's good to see that you two don't support DeVos either.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    It's good to see that you two don't support DeVos either.
    She will move us in a much better direction than Hillary's pick would have, and will very likely move us in a better direction than where we are today. Ultimately the department should be canned, but until then I am fairly happy with this pick. If the usual suspects around here and the MSM don't like her, then that is a sign she is probably a great pick.

She will move us in a much better direction than Hillary's pick would have, and will very likely move us in a better direction than where we are today. Ultimately the department should be canned, but until then I am fairly happy with this pick. If the usual suspects around here and the MSM don't like her, then that is a sign she is probably a great pick.
    This means if someone wanted your support for something, all they would have to do is get the usual suspects and the MSM to attack it.

Yeah no $#@!, Sherlock.... They should do away with the whole department... but seeing as how that ain't happening, I think it's funny the person going to be at the helm doesn't really understand education and has no real experience other than being married to a billionaire donor.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Yeah no $#@!, Sherlock.... They should do away with the whole department... but seeing as how that ain't happening, I think it's funny the person going to be at the helm doesn't really understand education and has no real experience other than being married to a billionaire donor.
    That depends on how you look at it. If you are thinking in terms of government education as we know it, then she understands enough to know it isn't working. She might not be up to speed with every nuance of education law, but that's part of the problem, isn't it? The Interior nominee said Smokey Bear used to be a friendly character. Now it's law enforcement. That statement applies across the board, and it's what we all hate. We hate that government has become so big and so intrusive, that it has become one giant law enforcement agency. Everyone is a criminal, even little kids who hug on the playground or chew their graham crackers into guns.

My grandboys go to a charter school in one of the worst school systems in the nation, so I made it my business to learn about charter schools. While I don't think kids should be educated by government, there has to be some sort of transition away from full government union involvement. I think most of these nominees are going to try to work themselves out of a job. De Vos seems to be one of those.
    #NashvilleStrong

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm guessing she knows a good amount about educating people, she probably just doesn't know a lot about what the current Fed gov's role in the whole operation is. Which is fine, I would like to see it minimized.

I'm glad Trump beat Hillary, but I would prefer my dog was President over Trump, my dog doesn't know $#@! about being President.

Typical bull$#@! from Trump supporters.... "Well Hillary's pick would have been worse!" lmao

- Diogenes of Sinope

I am a homeschooling dad... my interest in federal involvement in education is that they leave me and my family the hell alone. She hasn't really taken a position on homeschooling... I just hope she doesn't make things worse than they are.

- Diogenes of Sinope

You all are too short sighted. Sure, it's not going away. Not this year. Eight years from now it might be a vastly different landscape.
    #NashvilleStrong

Eight years from now it might be a vastly different landscape.
    In a better way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast