Thread: Biden/Wyden Plan: Increase taxes, Expand IRS

Biden/Wyden Plan: Increase taxes, Expand IRS

Wyden lays out Senate tax priorities

“That has to start with fixing the broken Tax Code and requiring millionaires and billionaires to pay their fair share,” said Wyden. “Since last September, I've been working on my proposal to reform the taxation of capital gains for the top 0.3 percent of taxpayers by equalizing the tax rates for wage and capital income, and minimizing the benefits of deferring taxes. If you are a nurse in America taking care of COVID patients, you don't get to defer paying your taxes. If you're a billionaire, you can defer, defer and defer some more and then pretty much never pay any taxes at all. I intend to put a stop to that by ending the ability of the wealthy to pay what they want when they want, to preserve the Social Security system for decades to come and earn additional revenue for other priorities.”

He argued that if the country’s 600 billionaires paid taxes on the nearly $1 trillion they made last year, it would cover $1,000 checks for every family that gets relief payments.

Wyden also hopes to reform the tax laws related to the energy sector to deal with climate change and achieve a carbon-free power sector by 2035. He pointed to a bill he has introduced called the Clean Energy for America Act that would consolidate the 44 current separate energy provisions into three emissions-based incentives that would encourage clean electricity, clean transportation and clean energy. “I'm also working to reform energy taxes so that polluters are discouraged from harming our environment,” Wyden added. “If you look at the history of environmental regulation, too often it has been regressive, and it is critically important to make sure that working families come out better in a greener economy.”

On the corporate tax front, Wyden wants to roll back the corporate tax breaks in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. “The principles on corporate taxes should be that big corporations pay their fair share, with disincentives to ship jobs overseas, and reward companies that invest in America and its workers,” said Wyden. “I also want to address the many problems with the structure for taxing multinational corporations created in the Republicans’ 2017 bill. I've been working on a framework for corporate taxes. We will be showing that fairly shortly.”
    Wyden also wants to steer more money to the Internal Revenue Service to crack down on tax evasion: “That will require rebuilding the IRS,” he said. “A decade of Republican budget cuts and political attacks on the IRS have crippled the agency’s enforcement ability, allowing wealthy tax cheats to steal from the public. Ensuring that the IRS is funding staff to implement these policies is right at the top of our priority list. We’ve got to crack down on those who refuse to pay. That's critically important.”
    More: https://www.accountingtoday.com/news...tax-priorities
    “millionaires and billionaires to pay their fair share”

As if any tax has ever stayed limited to the ultra-wealthy. And a “millionaire” in many places is simply a person who owns a home. With the massive money printing that is only going to increase, it won't be long until Starbuck’s baristas are earning a million dollars a year on minimum wage...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So basically, "We're going to take more water out of their side of the bucket!"

Yeah, that logic works.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Yay I've been saying for years that the IRS is way underfunded, with this they can do way more audits on everybody!

Everybody gets an audit!
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

The IRS is one of my favorite government agencies, I am so glad its getting the funding that it deserves.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    The IRS is one of my favorite government agencies, I am so glad its getting the funding that it deserves.
    Agree 110%. Roads are very important, after all, and I am absolutely delighted to hear not only that we might be able to continue having them, but even more so.

Not having roads would really suck. I mean, think about it: without roads, how would the post office be able to deliver things like stimulus checks and credit card offers?

And for that matter, without the IRS, how could we even have a post office?
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-15-2021 at 04:13 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Agree 110%. Roads are very important, after all, and I am absolutely delighted to hear not only that we might be able to continue having them, but even more so.

Not having roads would really suck. I mean, think about it: without roads, how would the post office be able to deliver things like stimulus checks and credit card offers?

Indeed, without the IRS, how could there even be a post office?
    The roads need work. USPS took 27 days (14 days late) to deliver a Christmas package from a location 6 hr.s away. "Priority Mail."

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The roads need work. USPS took 27 days (14 days late) to deliver a Christmas package from a location 6 hr.s away. "Priority Mail."
    Christmas packages are not important. Stimulus checks and credit card offers are.

After all, without stimulus and credit, people might not be able to buy any Christmas gifts in the first place ...

And without the Biden/Wyden plan, even the timely delivery of stimulus checks and credit card offers may be imperiled.

Gifts to the U.S. Government

How do I make a contribution to the U.S. government?

Citizens who wish to make a general donation to the U.S. government may send contributions to a specific account called "Gifts to the United States."
    This account was established in 1843 to accept gifts, such as bequests, from individuals wishing to express their patriotism to the United States. Money deposited into this account is for general use by the federal government and can be available for budget needs.
    These contributions are considered an unconditional gift to the government. Citizens can make financial donations electronically through pay.gov or in paper form.

• At pay.gov, you can contribute online from your bank account (ACH), PayPal, debit or credit card.
    • You can write a check or money order, payable to the United States Treasury, and in the memo section notate that it's a gift to the United States. Mail your check or money order to the address below.

Gifts to the United States
    U.S. Department of the Treasury
    Reporting and Analysis Branch 2
    P.O. Box 1328
    Parkersburg, WV 26106-1328
    Any tax-related questions regarding these contributions should be directed to the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Christmas packages are not important. Stimulus checks and credit card offers are.

After all, without stimulus and credit, people might not be able to buy any Christmas gifts in the first place ...

And without the Biden/Wyden plan, even the timely delivery of stimulus checks and credit card offers may be imperiled.
    Well, it was probably because of all the Amazon.com packages delivered by USPS. Amazon loves this great American institution so much that it takes precedent over even the institutions "Priority Mail." But, I have heard that the traitor Donald Trump totally gutted the USPS in a bid to thwart fair elections. So it was probably his fault.

Confessions of a U.S. Postal Worker: “We deliver Amazon packages until we drop dead.”
    https://gen.medium.com/confessions-o...d-a6e96f125126

Well, it was probably because of all the Amazon.com packages delivered by USPS. Amazon loves this great American institution so much that it takes precedent over even the institutions "Priority Mail." But, I have heard that the traitor Donald Trump totally gutted the USPS in a bid to thwart fair elections. So it was probably his fault.
    Obviously, Trump and Amazon are in cahoots.

They should impeach him again.

And they should impeach Amazon, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Gifts to the U.S. Government

How do I make a contribution to the U.S. government?

Citizens who wish to make a general donation to the U.S. government may send contributions to a specific account called "Gifts to the United States."
    This account was established in 1843 to accept gifts, such as bequests, from individuals wishing to express their patriotism to the United States. Money deposited into this account is for general use by the federal government and can be available for budget needs.
    These contributions are considered an unconditional gift to the government. Citizens can make financial donations electronically through pay.gov or in paper form.

• At pay.gov, you can contribute online from your bank account (ACH), PayPal, debit or credit card.
    • You can write a check or money order, payable to the United States Treasury, and in the memo section notate that it's a gift to the United States. Mail your check or money order to the address below.

Gifts to the United States
    U.S. Department of the Treasury
    Reporting and Analysis Branch 2
    P.O. Box 1328
    Parkersburg, WV 26106-1328
    Any tax-related questions regarding these contributions should be directed to the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040.
    You are a Great AmericanTM.

But you will never be as GreatTM an AmericanTM as TheTexanTM.

ahem... Stimulus checks are mostly directly deposited into accounts now. But personal debt relies on those roads!!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

https://gen.medium.com/confessions-o...d-a6e96f125126
    Waste of money. For a small donation to Nancy Pelosi, I can get $600,000.00 to study bigender hippos in New Zealand.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    ahem... Stimulus checks are mostly directly deposited into accounts now. But personal debt relies on those roads!!
    But many are not. And even when they are ...

Second stimulus check: Millions facing delays for $600 checks

The IRS has started delivering the second round of stimulus checks into millions of bank accounts, providing $600 for each eligible adult and child. But as many as 13 million people may experience a delay in receiving their money after the IRS sent the funds to closed or invalid bank accounts, according to tax-prep company Jackson Hewitt.

[...]

The abject incompetence and failure of the IRS proves just how important it is to expand the IRS and increase its funding.

It also shows how the USPS is needed as a critical safety net when all that fancy-schmancy internet "direct deposit" stuff goes tits up.

Our ability to spend ourselves into penury is at stake! And roads!

The abject incompetence and failure of the IRS proves just how important it is to expand the IRS and increase its funding.
    When an agency is is given increased responsibilities but is underbudgeted and understaffed because its funding has been reduced, it's not incompetence and poor service should not be surprising.
    Last edited by Sonny Tufts; 01-15-2021 at 06:44 PM.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    When an agency is is given increased responsibilities but is underbudgeted and understaffed because its funding has been reduced, it's not incompetence and poor service should not be surprising.

Biden/Wyden Plan FTW!!!
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-15-2021 at 07:47 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

And for that matter, without the IRS, how could we even have a post office?
    Without the IRS, how could we have an IRS?

Its only by some miracle that the IRS came in to existence at all.
    - Kim Kardashian

Biden/Widen Plan FTW!!!
    I think everyone means the Biden Wylin Tax Plan©

Without the IRS, how could we have an IRS?

Its only by some miracle that the IRS came in to existence at all.
    Immaculate Taxation ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Wyden lays out Senate tax priorities

“millionaires and billionaires to pay their fair share”

As if any tax has ever stayed limited to the ultra-wealthy. And a “millionaire” in many places is simply a person who owns a home. With the massive money printing that is only going to increase, it won't be long until Starbuck’s baristas are earning a million dollars a year on minimum wage...
    That's true about taxes never staying limited to the wealthy, but this sort of thinking always bothers me. Shouldn't we oppose high taxes on any group in principle? Even if it doesn't spread to the rest of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    That's true about taxes never staying limited to the wealthy, but this sort of thinking always bothers me. Shouldn't we oppose high taxes on any group in principle? Even if it doesn't spread to the rest of us?
    Like Ron Paul always says, "Spending is the real tax." I would actually prefer MUCH, MUCH higher taxes to pay for our current spending. I mean so high that it would make the overspending obvious to people.

I've always had a problem with taxation without representation. I'm not sure who could be more under-represented than people who haven't even been born yet. It's their money we're stealing. Maybe if our economy had to endure this spending in our own time, it might make people less willing to let them spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    It’s an argument against those who say “it’s only the billionaires”. It will come for everyone eventually.

It’s all hypocrisy though. In reality, “tax the rich” always translates to “tax those with more than me”.

There should be zero income tax for everybody. Abolish the IRS.

All right! Al Sharpton will finally pay up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

IRS= persecution witch hunting agency

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by flightlesskiwi View Post
    I think everyone means the Biden Wylin Tax Plan©
    ching chong tax plan aka ccp

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It’s an argument against those who say “it’s only the billionaires”. It will come for everyone eventually.

It’s all hypocrisy though. In reality, “tax the rich” always translates to “tax those with more than me”.

There should be zero income tax for everybody. Abolish the IRS.
    I wouldn't be opposed to an income tax if it were flat or if it were tied to voting privileges.

But in it's current form it's exactly like you said "tax those guys but don't tax me".

The one thing I don't like about a sales tax is that is places most of the burden on the business owner. I've heard people say a sales tax is great because if it gets too high it can be avoided. That sounded great the first time I heard it but then I realized it would mean the business owner gets wiped out. Imagine if congress passed a law that eliminated your job and your life savings. You'd be pretty pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Like Ron Paul always says, "Spending is the real tax." I would actually prefer MUCH, MUCH higher taxes to pay for our current spending. I mean so high that it would make the overspending obvious to people.

I've always had a problem with taxation without representation. I'm not sure who could be more under-represented than people who haven't even been born yet. It's their money we're stealing. Maybe if our economy had to endure this spending in our own time, it might make people less willing to let them spend.
    I agree, if everyone had to pay for government in real time we'd obviously have much, much smaller government.