Thread: Rand Paul will introduce bill to end Selective Service in honor of Muhammad Ali

Rand Paul will introduce bill to end Selective Service in honor of Muhammad Ali

In honor of Muhammad Ali, Sen. Rand Paul will introduce bill to end Selective Service

06/06/2016
    by Nick Storm

LOUISVILLE — U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, will soon be filing stand-alone legislation to end the practice of registering for the Selective Service.

The bill titled ‘The Muhammad Ali Voluntary Service Act’ will be presented to Congress in honor of the famed boxer who refused to serve in the Vietnam War.

On April, 28 1967 the heavy weight champion was stripped of his title for refusing to be inducted in the United States Army. Ali, a Muslim and conscientious objector, was convicted of draft evasion — a conviction that would later be overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court.

“One thing I liked about Muhammad Ali is that he would stand on principle even when it was unpopular,” Paul told reporters in Louisville on Monday. “You know, the criminal justice system I say now has a racial justice disparity, selective service had a racial disparity, because a lot of rich white kids either got a deferment or went to college or got out of the draft. I’m opposed to Selective Service.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2nlWsD3C1A
    More:
    http://mycn2.com/politics/in-honor-o...ective-service

Rand has already introduced an amendment to the FY 17 NDAA, which is being debated this week, that would end Selective Service.

The House bill to end Selective Service, H.R. 4523, has the following cosponsors:

Rep. Chaffetz, Jason [R-UT-3] - 02/24/2016
    Rep. Coffman, Mike [R-CO-6] - 02/10/2016
    Rep. DeFazio, Peter A. [D-OR-4] - 02/10/2016
    Rep. DeSaulnier, Mark [D-CA-11] - 04/14/2016
    Rep. Polis, Jared [D-CO-2] - 02/10/2016
    Rep. Rohrabacher, Dana [R-CA-48] - 02/10/2016
    Rep. Upton, Fred [R-MI-6] - 04/15/2016
    Last edited by tsai3904; 06-06-2016 at 03:32 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    bump
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Big thumbs up.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Awesome.. Maybe not president but the best senator around.

Bringing people together, I'm sure this is an area where the right and the left meet.
    "I am a bird"

"Rand Paul’s tribute to Muhammad Ali: Trying to end Selective Service" - wapo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...8436&tid=ss_tw
    Rand Paul’s tribute to Muhammad Ali: Trying to end Selective Service
    By David Weigel
    June 6 at 8:06 PM

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) told reporters in Louisville on Monday that he'd be introducing legislation to end the Selective Service program that replaced the military draft, as a tribute to the late Muhammad Ali.

“One of the things I liked about Muhammad Ali is that he would stand on principle even when it was unpopular,” Paul said. “Selective service, you know -- like, the criminal justice system I say now has a racial justice disparity? Selective service had a racial disparity, because a lot of rich white kids either got a deferment or went to college or got out of the draft. So I’m opposed to Selective Service.”

Paul's "Muhammad Ali Voluntary Service Act" would be a nod to the greatest controversy of the boxer's career, when at age 25 he was called up for service in Vietnam -- and when he refused to go. (Ali, born Cassius Clay, was perhaps the most famous person born in Louisville.) Ali had failed the qualifying exam in 1964, but was reclassified when the standards were lowered, and appealed for "conscientious objector" status. It took years for him to win the case, exiling him from the sport of boxing in the prime of his career.

In 1973, after a campaign supported by both liberals and libertarians, the draft was ended and Selective Service began. Never actually used to conscript Americans into service, it's become a perennial target for that same coalition of activists.

"I agree with Muhammad Ali," said Paul. "If the war's worth fighting, people will volunteer. When we were attacked on 9/11, and when we were attacked at Pearl Harbor, they almost had to slow it down, there were so many people coming in."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...8436&tid=ss_tw

Rand Paul wrote a nice tribute to Ali in the Courier-Jouranl

http://www.courier-journal.com/story...-one/85527308/
    Sen. Rand Paul - Ali a champion in more ways than one
    Sen. Rand Paul, Guest Contributor
    12:31 p.m. EDT June 7, 2016

How did Kentucky end up with two great men both named Cassius Marcellus Clay?

The first Cassius Clay, cousin of Henry, was an abolitionist who refused to compromise on the issue of slavery. I spoke of him in my inaugural Senate speech and do so often.

The second Cassius Clay later became Muhammad Ali and also never compromised on anything. People should remember him as a great boxing champion, but also as a tireless fighter outside the ring.

Clay grew up in segregated Louisville in the 1940s and '50s and at the same time he was becoming a household name as the world’s greatest boxer, his fame would coincide with two of the most turbulent events of the 1960s: The civil rights movement and the Vietnam War.

Converting to Islam in 1964, Ali was a proud black American at a time when many African-Americans were not afforded their basic rights. Ali became a hero to many, particularly to black children in Louisville and beyond, at a troubling time in our history when Americans needed someone to look up to.

It is true that Ali was part of the Nation of Islam and even said some things about whites and others he would later recant.

But critics who might focus on the controversial aspects of Ali’s legacy should remember that many white politicians also said controversial things during that era, many of whom still enjoyed political careers long after the 1960s had ended.

Today, there’s still an imbalance in how African-Americans are treated by our laws and justice system. For example, although white and black Americans use marijuana at the same rate, blacks are four times more likely to be arrested for using it.

Since I entered the U.S. Senate in 2010 I’ve worked to get rid of these injustices and I've done so alongside many of Louisville's civil rights champions.

But those efforts will never compare to how Ali risked his career and even personal safety to stand up for what was right in his time.

He refused to compromise or back down.

The same is true of Ali’s opposition to the Vietnam War.

There’s something that must be cleared up before any discussion of this subject can begin: Muhammad Ali was not a “draft dodger.”

When Ali was drafted, he did not run away. He did not go to Canada. He did not ask for special favors, treatment or even try to get a deferment.

He was a conscientious objector and practiced civil disobedience, a proud American tradition that runs from the Founding Fathers to Thoreau and all the way through Martin Luther King, Jr. in Ali’s own time.

The Vietnam War was regrettable for many reasons, but among them was that we forced men or women to fight in a conflict so much of the country was beginning to see as not in our national interest.

Today, we have a voluntary military that stands as the best in the world. I recently introduced an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act that would end any possibility of the draft occurring ever again.

This week, in honor of Muhammad Ali's life work, I will introduce the repeal of the draft as stand-alone legislation with his name on it.

In Ali’s day, he spoke out against the War as well as the draft while many politicians defended it. Half the country cheered Ali’s stances and the other half booed.

But all can appreciate his efforts as we look back on the remarkable life of a true champion and Kentuckian who exemplified our "unbridled spirit".

Ali said in 1975 that he would like to be remembered, “As a man who never looked down on those who looked up to him and who helped as many of his people as he could – financially and also in their fight for freedom, justice and equality.” He also wanted to be remembered “as a great boxing champion who became a preacher and a champion of his people.”

Ali ended his comments with, “And I wouldn’t even mind if folks forgot how pretty I was.”

America and Kentucky never will forget Muhammad Ali, who lived a principled life.

And yes, he was pretty. Pretty great.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story...-one/85527308/

Rand is the most awesome Senator ever. I have been hoping one of our liberty guys would introduce this bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-25-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    Rand ftw!!
    YES!
    There is no spoon.

this is the Rand I want to see more of. he is at his best with this

and when this is dead, NSA and TSA are waiting to be abolished.

This is a bad move politically imo amongst Murican GOPer voters in 2020.

Ali was right but his douchebag acting could offend veterans and others.
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallFan View Post
    This is a bad move politically imo amongst Murican GOPer voters in 2020.

Ali was right but his douchebag acting could offend veterans and others.
    Good thing it's not 2020 then.
    Last edited by erowe1; 06-08-2016 at 07:29 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Good think it's not 2020 then.
    a draft is never popular. Nixon knew it, Reagan knew it. even Bush would not even think of one after 911. Rand has to be a leader in this. and act like the 2020 nominee, slowly. Goldwater did so in 1961-62, Nixon in 65.

even veterans don't want their sons and especially their daughters drafted.

Nice. This guy should run for president!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.