Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It appears China has stopped buying soybeans from the US altogether because of trade fight

It appears China has stopped buying soybeans from the US altogether because of trade fight

• "Whatever they're buying is non-U.S.," Soren Schroder, CEO of New York-based Bunge, the world's largest oilseeds processor, told Bloomberg in a phone interview.
    • China canceled a net 62,690 metric tons of U.S. soybean purchases in the two weeks ended April 19, the Bloomberg article pointed out, citing USDA data for the current marketing year.
    • The country is the second largest market for U.S. agricultural exports, and soybeans have historically have been one of the top products sold to the Asian giant, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Foreign Agricultural Service.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/02/it-a...ade-fight.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    60,000 tons? OMG. The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Now let's do the math that journalism majors are incapable or unwilling to do. It's simple arithmetic, so feel free to follow along.

1 metric ton of soybeans is ~30 bushels.
    60k tons is ~ 1.8M bushels.
    A Panamax cargo vessel usually has 7 cargo holds.
    Each cargo hold has the capacity of 300k bushels.

China cancels almost (6/7th) of a single ship's worth of soybeans. Not a trade war. Rounding error that might be considered posturing at best.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

The farmers themselves are a rounding error too.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post

Now let's do the math that journalism majors are incapable or unwilling to do. It's simple arithmetic, so feel free to follow along.

China cancels almost (6/7th) of a single ship's worth of soybeans. Not a trade war. Rounding error that might be considered posturing at best.

XNN
    How many workers does it take to grow, package and ship 60,000 tons of soybeans and are these soybeans being offloaded elsewhere?

Or in the interest of saving jobs, have other jobs been destroyed?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Maybe they're opting for non-GMO.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Why didn't you post the original source article from Bloomberg that CNBC copied? I guess it didn't have the click bait bull$#@! headline that you crave.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

And the trains,, That is like one train, 60 cars of beans. (I'm being very generous in estimation)

Do you have any idea of how many trains pass by me every day,?, and this is only one of many track lines.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Just saw a train with a whole ship of Hyundai Boxes. Headed south. Likely from SeaTac.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope they are getting good prices for the Coal..

I see more coal trains out here than anyone has use for. It must be shipping somewhere else.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Just saw a train with a whole ship of Hyundai Boxes. Headed south. Likely from SeaTac.
    Hoping this replaces most of the priuii (priuses) out there..

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

LOL, ok, you can have this then..

I'd prefer this by several fold..

Last edited by dannno; 05-03-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Taken at face value, which others have already disputed, it is interesting that China did not add or increase a tariff or fee, which if proposed by the US is met with howls and cries of impending doom, but China is supposedly cutting all imports of soybeans. And what is the reaction to that? Is it a good and reasonable move by China?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

LOL, ok, you can have this then..
    I would rather something along the lines of,,

or maybe a 34 ford pickup with a Flathead motor..as a daily driver.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

XNN
    Lets see, if the article is true which I say because dunno if the CNBC or bloomberg is a credible source. But we are reading a story about he 2nd larger US market for soy bean ending their importing of US soy beans plus cancelling the orders they've already made to buy said soy beans and some people think its not a big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Lets see, if the article is true which I say because dunno if the CNBC or bloomberg is a credible source. But we are reading a story about he 2nd larger US market for soy bean ending their importing of US soy beans plus cancelling the orders they've already made to buy said soy beans and some people think its not a big deal?
    A hill of beans.

and not a very big hill.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

You're RPF's second biggest error.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

It seems like everybody out here has been getting rid of the Priuses they acquired under the Obama reign. Most going to SUVs or Subarus. Its like they woke up and said, "well trumps president now, we don't have to pretend to give a f*ck."

A hill of beans.

and not a very big hill.
    Really, the second biggest importer of US soybeans is stopping their importation and calling all their previous orders and its not a very big bean hill?

Really, the second biggest importer of US soybeans is stopping their importation and calling all their previous orders and its not a very big bean hill?
    Apparently not so much.

I think China grows a lot of soybeans too.

Apparently not so much.

I think China grows a lot of soybeans too.
    Grows and consumes a lot of soy beans. Asian people do eat a lot of soy products. But my post was to emphasize the part of people on this thread seems to be missing. That is the fact that the Chinese seems to have stopped buying US soy beans. Instead everybody is focused on the amount they cancelled which I believe from the agric experts on this forum is a small amount.

I can't see how any of this is good for business.

Someone else will buy them and China will have higher food prices.
    China's economy is more fragile than ours, they will either come to terms when Trump doesn't back down or they will collapse, we will rebuild our economy and emerge stronger either way.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Grows and consumes a lot of soy beans. Asian people do eat a lot of soy products. But my post was to emphasize the part of people on this thread seems to be missing. That is the fact that the Chinese seems to have stopped buying US soy beans. Instead everybody is focused on the amount they cancelled which I believe from the agric experts on this forum is a small amount.

They will sell it to yuppies. likely for more than Foreign markets will pay..
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Last I looked May through Oct bean prices were not affected . I sell a few beans myself . I do not know that it will have any impact . I also am not sitting on many beans now . I typically sell what I wish before Nov property taxes are due .
    Last edited by oyarde; 05-03-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    South American soy crops are currently being harvested. Most US soy sales to China occur in the fall.

https://apps.fas.usda.gov/esrquery/egraph5y.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    South American soy crops are currently being harvested. Most US soy sales to China occur in the fall.
    So? Soy, like most crop commodities, is fungible. Any country can choose where to buy soy on the world market. Southern Hemisphere soy is coming on the market. In six months it will be Northern Hemisphere. The US, Canada, Europe, and Russia.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Anybody that thinks its wrong to cancel an order of soybeans can get the hell out.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Last I looked May through Oct bean prices were not affected . I sell a few beans myself . I do not know that it will have any impact . I also am not sitting on many beans now . I typically sell what I wish before Nov property taxes are due .
    Do you put in early beans and late beans? Around here if it looks like beans are going to be down, you drill milo in the wheat stubble. Most people don't realize that there is no such thing as a soy farmer. You got row crops and adjust to what you think gives you the best chance of a good return.

XNN

World demand remains the same. The beans will continue to move to the coast by barge and rail. Ships will continue to be loaded though their destination will change. That will disrupt shipping rates for a short time as distances change. Early beans haven't been planted yet over most of the Northen Hemisphere. If it appears the market will glut, farmers will adjust their planning but land will not lie idle.

XNN

Do you put in early beans and late beans? Around here if it looks like beans are going to be down, you drill milo in the wheat stubble. Most people don't realize that there is no such thing as a soy farmer. You got row crops and adjust to what you think gives you the best chance of a good return.

XNN
    Here all the beans are early beans except the late beans that double crop in the wheat stubble . The late beans are riskier because if the rain does dry up it will typically be in that time period . Here bean farmers are also corn farmers and smaller farms still have livestock and hay . When I was young it was a little more diverse because most guys grew one or two also of sorghum , tobacco , oats along with corn , wheat and beans and also everyone had beef , pork and chickens and some sheared sheep. There are still a couple big farms that also produce tomatoes and green beans commercially but that , pumpkins and sweet corn are mostly specialized with the farms that have a vegetable stand that sells to the public .
    Do something Danke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast