Thread: California Officials Demand Ham radio repeater infrastructure to be Removed

California Officials Demand Ham radio repeater infrastructure to be Removed

California Officials declare Ham Radio no longer a benefit; Demands Ham radio repeater infrastructure to be Removed

The People’s Republic of California is at it again; through unelected state officials, California is severing ties to ham radio repeater owners throughout the state, jeopardizing the lives of millions of Californians who depend on these repeaters to operate during emergencies.

Last month, repeater operators were sent emails telling them the State would no longer allow them to operate repeaters on public land without paying substantial rental fees. In the letter sent by CAL FIRE, the state claims Ham operators no longer provide a benefit to the state or public safety. They claimed that “constantly changing technological advances” has made Ham radio obsolete during an emergency.

Keep in mind; this is a state that is currently shutting power down in 34 of its counties because its infrastructure cannot handle 20-30 mph winds without risking wildfire breakouts throughout the state.

What is a Ham Radio Repeater
    An amateur radio repeater system is a two-way radio system that takes weaker or low-level amateur radio signals and retransmits them at a higher level or higher power so that the radio signal can cover longer distances without degradation. It is a vital part of the local emergency communications system, and Ham Radio operators have been using them for decades to provide support during disasters that take out local communication infrastructure.

Why would they remove something that is the last line of defense during a disaster?

What is infuriating here is people are going to die because of this decision. It costs the State of California nothing to allow these repeaters on public land; in fact, Ham Radio Operators pay for the equipment and maintain the equipment at their own cost. Ham Radio operators also make nothing from running these radio repeaters; they do so as a service to the public to help ensure the public’s safety during natural disasters and emergencies.

While paying billions of dollars a year to cater to illegal immigrants and welfare bums, California is now targeting hard-working Ham operators who provide critical and vital Disaster Emergency Communications. These people have absolutely lost their minds!

There is a nationwide effort to Kill Ham Radio

continued https://offgridsurvival.com/californ...4l8x8HY900FaZ4
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not a good day in Commiefornia unless something is being banned.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

I mean really, why would they want people to be able to freely communicate without relying on some level of control. I mean imagine real news being transmitted without government censorship in a time of crisis... any crisis, especially one they created.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

From a radio forum:

I've seen the email. While it contains some disappointing language, what I've seen does not spell the end of the world. It's basically an email to a single system stating that they're going to have to pay for site space in CalFire radio sites. That's IT.

There's nothing in it to indicate that it's some new statewide policy. There's nothing in it to indicate that CalFire, or CalOES or any other agency is abdicating any MOU's they may have with various systems, and there's certainly nothing in it that would affect systems in other governmental or privately owned sites. It's not even stating that systems have to be removed from their radio sites. It's stating that they have to pay for it. And it's not going to be cheap.
    https://forums.radioreference.com/th...2#post-3195771
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    From a radio forum:
    While everything that the author of that post says may be perfectly accurate, it doesn't bode well for the amateur radio community the super-cuck attitude that the author conveys.

Another low-T, beta Kalifornian.

My understanding is that rackspace fills up at many of these sites. Once the space is full Cal Fire can't add equipment, and neither can anyone else. It pretty much follows that Cal Fire will look at equipment that is there for free and think about charging them. Supply and demand.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Californians have money to burn . No problems .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Californians have money to burn . No problems .
    It’s the CaliCom favorite pastime.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    California needs to stop trying to ban things.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    California needs to stop trying to ban things.
    Old habits are hard to break.
    "The Patriarch"