Thread: F-150 Flaming seatbelts

F-150 Flaming seatbelts

Ford recalls 2 million F-150 pickup trucks to fix seat belt defect causing fires

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ct/1209785002/

Ford Motor is recalling nearly 2 million pickup trucks to fix a seat belt defect that could trigger vehicle fires.

The recall affects the crown jewel of Ford's lineup: the F-150 pickup. The F-series lineup is the best selling vehicle model in the U.S.

The move came after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration launched an investigation into the matter in early August after receiving reports of five fires due to the defect, including three that engulfed and destroyed the vehicle.

The company said it had identified at least 23 "reports of smoke or fire" but no injuries or accidents connected to the defect.

The recall covers the 2015-18 model-year Ford F-150 made from March 12, 2014 through Aug. 23, 2018, in Dearborn, Mich., and from Aug. 20, 2014, through Aug. 23, 2018, in Kansas City.

Ford said the defect involves front seat belt pretensioners that "can generate excessive sparks when they deploy."

"When sufficient sparks are present, gases exhausted inside the lower portion of the B-pillar by the pretensioners may ignite," Ford said in a statement. "If this gas ignites, components behind the B-pillar such as insulation and carpet may subsequently catch fire."

The recall is expected to cost Ford about $140 million, according to a public filing.

The defect compounds the company's troubles as it seeks to prove to investors that it has a plan to bolster its financial prospects.

Ford said the recall covers about 1.995 million vehicles in North America, including 1.619 million in the U.S.

Dealers will repair the vehicles for free.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Heard this on the radio this afternoon. Besides the engine how many explosive devices does a car actually need? I don't even think these contraptions are government mandated though, if not, I'm sure they are being used to "test" the efficacy, for future mandates.

you know you've jumped the shark with your vehicle design when you manage to screw up seatbelts.

So if you do not wear your safety belt it is safer ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    So if you do not wear your safety belt it is safer ?
    Yeah, but you have to turn the stereo up real loud to drown out the incessant system bitching.

Ban seat belts.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Ford recalls 2 million F-150 pickup trucks to fix seat belt defect causing fires

The company said it had identified at least 23 "reports of smoke or fire" but no injuries or accidents connected to the defect.
    It's not an accident that the trucks burn up. it's a feature, not a bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Just the F-150? Not the bigger models?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So after decades of this dunning safety nonsense, what is happening?

Per mile vehicle fatality rates are increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    So after decades of this dunning safety nonsense, what is happening?

Per mile vehicle fatality rates are increasing.
    If vehicles are so safe why bother driving safely?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

But muh VW scandal
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    If vehicles are so safe why bother driving safely?
    Have you seen the under 40 female driving demographic?

I still think cars should be required to have a fire extinguisher near the driver's seat. And airbags around it to make sure it's still functional after a crash.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Yeah, but you have to turn the stereo up real loud to drown out the incessant system bitching.
    Not in an F150... you can turn it off!

It also works in an E250.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Have you seen the under 40 female driving demographic?
    Well, I imagine, as is the case in almost everything else, these broads are running amok.

Was on road trip last weekend, posted speed 65, I'm cruising 75-80, three young woemen blow by me at 100 or so, each one finger $#@!ing a phone.

Since I'm not a safety nazi, no skin off my nose, I got eyes on you to get out of the way when you wreck.

But how the $#@! do they dodge the cops?

Gotta be fellatio.