Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What an Audacious Hoax Reveals About Academia

What an Audacious Hoax Reveals About Academia

Over the past 12 months, three scholars—James Lindsay, Helen Pluckrose, and Peter Boghossian—wrote 20 fake papers using fashionable jargon to argue for ridiculous conclusions, and tried to get them placed in high-profile journals in fields including gender studies, ***** studies, and fat studies. Their success rate was remarkable: By the time they took their experiment public late on Tuesday, seven of their articles had been accepted for publication by ostensibly serious peer-reviewed journals. Seven more were still going through various stages of the review process. Only six had been rejected.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...l-hoax/572212/

Whole article is great but simply too long to copy and paste it all in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My favorite is the paper entitled "Rubbing One Out: Defining Metasexual Violence of Objectification Through Nonconsensual Masturbation" which claims that masturbating while thinking about a woman is sexual violence unless she's agreed to it.
    By drawing upon empirical studies of psychological harms of objectification, especially through depersonalization, and exploring severel veins of theoretical literature on nonphysical forms of sexual violence, this articles seeks to situate non-concensual male autoerotic fantasizing about women as a form of metasexual violence that depersonalizes her, injures her being on an affective level, contributes to consequent harms of objectification and rape culture, and can appropriate her identity for the purpose of male sexual gratification.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    My favorite is the paper entitled "Rubbing One Out: Defining Metasexual Violence of Objectification Through Nonconsensual Masturbation" which claims that masturbating while thinking about a woman is sexual violence unless she's agreed to it.
    Of course asking a woeman if you can fantasize to her for the purpose of self-gratification would be sexual harassment of the highest order. So put a lock on that cock boy-o. Lol.

Been aware of Academia since Piltdown man.

and Smoking Nazis

Prohibition

MK-Ultra,,

Global Warming

and the current ANTIFA craze.

some of us are aware.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Of course asking a woeman if you can fantasize to her for the purpose of self-gratification would be sexual harassment of the highest order. So put a lock on that cock boy-o. Lol.
    I just found what the authors of the studies themselves wrote. It's a long read but once it gets to the descriptions of the papers it's honestly laugh-out-loud funny and horrifically sad all at the same time. I'll give just a taste of how awesome it is:

“I wonder if they’d publish a feminist rewrite of a chapter from Adolf Hitler’s Mein Kampf.” The answer to that question also turns out to be “yes,” given that the feminist social work journal Affilia has just accepted it.

https://areomagazine.com/2018/10/02/...f-scholarship/
    Pinochet is the model

This goes right here

Can't give you reps. But you've posted this a number of times in the past and I instantly thought of it in this regard. Someone give him some reps, at least for the 10th gazillion time he exposed this $#@!.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Can't give you reps. But you've posted this a number of times in the past and I instantly thought of it in this regard. Someone give him some reps, at least for the 10th gazillion time he exposed this $#@!.
    I repped AF for it already so I can't help.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I just found what the authors of the studies themselves wrote. It's a long read but once it gets to the descriptions of the papers it's honestly laugh-out-loud funny and horrifically sad all at the same time. I'll give just a taste of how awesome it is:

Agreed, +rep.

Take this gem:

Radical constructivism is thus a dangerous idea that has become authoritative. It forwards the idea that we must, on moral grounds, largely reject the belief that access to objective truth exists (scientific objectivity) and can be discovered, in principle, by any entity capable of doing the work, or more specifically by humans of any race, gender, or sexuality (scientific universality) via empirical testing (scientific empiricism). (This particular belief is sometimes referred to as “radical skepticism,” although philosophers also have other meanings for this term.) Although knowledge is always provisional and open to revision, there are better and worse ways to get closer to it, and the scientific method is the best we have found. By contrast, the means offered by critical theory are demonstrably and fatally flawed. Particularly, this approach rejects scientific universality and objectivity and insists, on moral grounds, that we must largely accept the notion of multiple, identity-based “truths,” such as a putative “feminist glaciology.” Under critical constructivism, this gains an explicitly radical political motivation.

Any scholarship that proceeds from radically skeptical assumptions about objective truth by definition does not and cannot find objective truth. Instead it promotes prejudices and opinions and calls them “truths.” For radical constructivists, these opinions are specifically rooted a political agenda of “Social Justice” (which we have intentionally made into a proper noun to distinguish it from the type of real social progress falling under the same name). Because of critical constructivism, which sees knowledge as a product of unjust power balances, and because of this brand of radical skepticism, which rejects objective truth, these scholars are like snake-oil salespeople who diagnose our society as being riddled with a disease only they can cure. That disease, as they see it, is endemic to any society that forwards the agency of the individual and the existence of objective (or scientifically knowable) truths.
    Or put more simply: facts and science and math is racist and sexist.

“I wonder if they’d publish a feminist rewrite of a chapter from Adolf Hitler’s Mein Kampf.” The answer to that question also turns out to be “yes,” given that the feminist social work journal Affilia has just accepted it.
    Mein Kampf was so heavily re-written that it is hard to recognize it in the article (except for the title).

On the other side there is a 2009 test where the takers are asked to tell if the quote is from Einstein or from Hitler:

http://reverent.org/einstein_or_hitler.html
    Take it and see if you would do any better than the hoaxed editors and reviewers.

Defund public education.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Defund public education.
    The majority of students do not learn anything beyond reading/writing and basic arithmetic anyway.

Defund public education.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickens View Post
    The majority of students do not learn anything beyond reading/writing and basic arithmetic anyway.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Homeschoolers and private school students consistently do better than public school students because they learn basics. Public schools disdain basics, so they teach how to have a tantrum.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Homeschoolers and private school students consistently do better than public school students because they learn basics. Public schools disdain basics, so they teach how to have a tantrum.
    Recently I replaced a battery in an electric shaver. Could not find any disassembly instructions. Only found a statement that it should be done by a trained technician. And this is with mandatory high school education. If an average man can't do that even less can he learn calculus or physics. This is an implicit admission that most people learn nothing at school.

Recently I replaced a battery in an electric shaver. Could not find any disassembly instructions. Only found a statement that it should be done by a trained technician. And this is with mandatory high school education. If an average man can't do that even less can he learn calculus or physics. This is an implicit admission that most people learn nothing at school.

Public schools breed below average men. Come to think of it--they don't breed men at all.

Recently I replaced a battery in an electric shaver.
    Proud of you! you shave?

I once turned an Electric Shaver into a Tattoo Gun.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Public schools breed below average men. Come to think of it--they don't breed men at all.
    Recall reading something similar

I says no I never had university advantage because at Harvard they teach you how to go to swim at night without knowing how to swim and at Sewanee they don’t even teach you What water is
    They sure do not teach what salt is. For in a grocery store they sell "Bath salt." When you scan for ingredients you see "sodium chloride." Now you can buy sodium chloride in another department five times cheaper. But a lot of people buy "Bath salt." This means that they do not know elementary chemistry in any meaningful way.

Recall reading something similar

They sure do not teach what salt is. For in a grocery store they sell "Bath salt." When you scan for ingredients you see "sodium chloride." Now you can buy sodium chloride in another department five times cheaper. But a lot of people buy "Bath salt." This means that they do not know elementary chemistry in any meaningful way.
    Then you realize that both Sodium and Chloride are deadly poisons..

and you sprinkle it on food for flavor.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Then you realize that both Sodium and Chloride are deadly poisons..

and you sprinkle it on food for flavor.
    It is called Chlorine. Chloride is a compound. But yes, this is what they taught you in school: say something.

Similar with vodka. Different brands can differ in price 5 times. But all contain same ingredient: 40% alcohol. It is obvious that there can't possibly be any difference between the brands. A blind test is not even needed.

It is called Chlorine.
    Thanks for the correction,,but did you miss the point?

and there are many brands of diverse price.. Just because it is 40% alcohol,, there are many other differences.. Flavor being just one.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

But yes, this is what they taught you in school: say something.

What makes you think that?

I am beginning to doubt if you were even born yet when I was in school.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for the correction,,but did you miss the point?
    What point? That two separately dangerous substances form a harmless compound?

and there are many brands of diverse price.. Just because it is 40% alcohol,, there are many other differences.. Flavor being just one.
    Price depends much more on the brand than on additives. Most importantly there are pure vodkas with no additives. And those differ 5 times in price between brands.

What point? That two separately dangerous substances form a harmless compound?
    Exactly,, Like Hydrogen and Oxygen,, Flammable until combined, and then will Quench Fire.

Price depends much more on the brand than on additives. Most importantly there are pure vodkas with no additives. And those differ 5 times in price between brands.
    Price depends on the Market.
    Consumers decide what they will pay.

are you even old enough for a conversation about Alcohol?
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Exactly,, Like Hydrogen and Oxygen,, Flammable until combined, and then will Quench Fire.
    That's what I meant when I said that they just taught you to say things. You do not need a Chemistry class to quench fire with water. And whatever you learned there you can't use in any meaningful way.

Price depends on the Market.
    Consumers decide what they will pay.

are you even old enough for a conversation about Alcohol?
    Remember this?

Public schools disdain basics, so they teach how to have a tantrum.
    Perhaps a more correct would be to say they teach how to say mantras.

That's what I meant when I said that they just taught you to say things. You do not need a Chemistry class to quench fire with water. And whatever you learned there you can't use in any meaningful way.
    Go throw water on a sodium fire.
    LOL
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Or better still, get some potassium, and store it in water to prevent it catching fire.

I'm not recommending this course of action, by the way. I'd suggest you try to remember some of those "mantras" your chemistry teacher tried to teach you instead. But if you think you don't ever need any of that stuff in the real world, go find you some potassium...
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Or better still, get some potassium, and store it in water to prevent it catching fire.

I'm not recommending this course of action, by the way. I'd suggest you try to remember some of those "mantras" your chemistry teacher tried to teach you instead. But if you think you don't ever need any of that stuff in the real world, go find you some potassium...
    Field dress a White Phosphorus wound..

not like you would use that in the real world.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast