Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NFL Is Ruining Football

The NFL Is Ruining Football

Season opener, Falcons @ Eagles

26 penalties, 200+ penalty yards

...apparently it is now illegal to tackle the QB.

Discuss

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Might as well put flags on them all at this point.

The NFL has been going downhill for a while now. Can’t figure what a catch is, can’t hit anybody anymore, can’t stay away from being social justice warriors and virtue signaling, moving teams and building hugeass stadiums with tax payer dollars, lockouts and super-mega contracts to play a game, commercial breaks every two minutes, etc.

It would be nice to watch a football game in less than 2 hours, without being told you’re a mysoginist, racist, intolerant rube.

One good thing an OWNER (not NFL) did was Atlanta’s Arthur Blank (and organization) setting new food/beverage prices at their new stadium, more in line with reality: $2 hot dogs, $5 beer, etc. I think a couple teams have followed suit.

It will be interesting to see if the viewership continues to decline again this year. I contend the NFL won’t make any changes until their bottom line is affected.

I used to be an NFL fan, but they crossed a line they can't un-cross and now I will never watch an NFL game or purchase anything related to that business ever again.

I am a permanent non-customer. If I had to bet I'd say at least 50 million other Americans feel the same.

Men in tights has never been my thing...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Men in tights has never been my thing...
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Season opener, Falcons @ Eagles

26 penalties, 200+ penalty yards

...apparently it is now illegal to tackle the QB.

Discuss
    No kidding. Today this happened. The penalties were for unsportsmanlike conduct (taunting), but not for this illegal block.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    No kidding. Today this happened. The penalties were for unsportsmanlike conduct (taunting), but not for this illegal block.
    That's actually a legal "crackback" block - it's only illegal if it's done below the waist.

The biggest problem with the NFL is that the game simply wasn't designed to be played by men this fast and strong and large - there may have been a handful of people like that back in the day, but not a league full of them using all the latest sports medicine techniques to optimize their strength and speed.

Which leaves them with a game they can't play anymore without killing each other. Unless they make so many contact restrictions as to make the game lame and suck out the spirit which made it popular to begin with.

Example: Doug Atkins, probably the best defensive lineman of the early NFL era. He was 6-8, 260 lbs.

Over the past 20 years there have been 7 defensive linemen who stood at 6-9. The lightest one was 297 lbs. - nearly 40 lbs heavier than the biggest player of the early NFL era. The rest ranged from 310 lbs. to 345 lbs.

Do the math. That's a 14-32% increase in body mass between the 50s and today (and as an off-the-cuff guess, it's probably less of an increase than at other positions such as WR). Since force = mass times acceleration, that's also a 14-32% increase in the amount of force when one of these guys runs into another.

But that's just the beginning of the story. These guys are faster, quicker, and more agile too - so the acceleration part of the equation is also increasing.

The original NFL was a brutal, hardcore sport - which is what made it popular. With force increases as detailed above, today's NFL is threading the needle between turning it into touch football, and ending up with all its players crippled or even killed.

If I were asked to come up with a radical idea to make the NFL an interesting game again, I would put size limits on the players, and let those small enough play the hardcore game that got popular in the first place.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    That's actually a legal "crackback" block - it's only illegal if it's done below the waist.

The biggest problem with the NFL is that the game simply wasn't designed to be played by men this fast and strong and large - there may have been a handful of people like that back in the day, but not a league full of them using all the latest sports medicine techniques to optimize their strength and speed.

Which leaves them with a game they can't play anymore without killing each other. Unless they make so many contact restrictions as to make the game lame and suck out the spirit which made it popular to begin with.

Example: Doug Atkins, probably the best defensive lineman of the early NFL era. He was 6-8, 260 lbs.

Over the past 20 years there have been 7 defensive linemen who stood at 6-9. The lightest one was 297 lbs. - nearly 40 lbs heavier than the biggest player of the early NFL era. The rest ranged from 310 lbs. to 345 lbs.

Do the math. That's a 14-32% increase in body mass between the 50s and today (and as an off-the-cuff guess, it's probably less of an increase than at other positions such as WR). Since force = mass times acceleration, that's also a 14-32% increase in the amount of force when one of these guys runs into another.

But that's just the beginning of the story. These guys are faster, quicker, and more agile too - so the acceleration part of the equation is also increasing.

The original NFL was a brutal, hardcore sport - which is what made it popular. With force increases as detailed above, today's NFL is threading the needle between turning it into touch football, and ending up with all its players crippled or even killed.

If I were asked to come up with a radical idea to make the NFL an interesting game again, I would put size limits on the players, and let those small enough play the hardcore game that got popular in the first place.
    Your point about the change in the physics of the game is well taken, but it doesn't justify these new rules.

Boxing is a sport which consists of large men attempting to stove in one another's skulls.

It's dangerous, everyone knows it's dangerous; people who don't want to take the risk don't participate in the sport.

So it should be with football.

Beyond that, some of the rule changes (e.g. re catches) are only rationalizations for stupid ref calls, which the NFL refuses to admit were stupid.

...anyway, here's another thing ruining the NFL (for me):

Dallas just put on a atrocious display in Charlotte, because Jerry mistook this fellow for a quarterback.

Your point about the change in the physics of the game is well taken, but it doesn't justify these new rules.

Boxing is a sport which consists of large men attempting to stove in one another's skulls.

It's dangerous, everyone knows it's dangerous; people who don't want to take the risk don't participate in the sport.
    Fully agree.

This is NASCAR "restrictor plate" racing redux.

So it should be with football.
    In boxing the very point of the sport is to hit the other guy and knock him out.

In football the point of the sport is to score more points than your opponent. Intentional injury is NOT part of football as it is in boxing.

Sure football is an inherently dangerous sport, but the density of human bone (and the resilience of the brain to impacts) is not upscaling like the strength and speed of players.

If today's boxers were twice as strong as Mike Tyson, the sport wouldn't exist; too many people would be killed, and the death toll would cause a public outcry to put a stop to it.

The NFL has to put in these pansy rules for that reason. If they don't they're going to end up with dead bodies on the field, and unlike in boxing, that is not supposed to be one of the risks inherent to football.

Football by design is "play war" - a substitute for people killing each other. If people end up killing each other playing football, the design has catastrophically failed and its existence as a commonly-played sport will come to an end shortly after.

In boxing the very point of the sport is to hit the other guy and knock him out.

In football the point of the sport is to score more points than your opponent. Intentional injury is NOT part of football as it is in boxing.
    No, it isn't the goal, but it is an inevitable and (from the perspective of prospective players) totally predictable aspect of the sport.

Sure football is an inherently dangerous sport, but the density of human bone (and the resilience of the brain to impacts) is not upscaling like the strength and speed of players.
    Tough titty

If today's boxers were twice as strong as Mike Tyson, the sport wouldn't exist; too many people would be killed, and the death toll would cause a public outcry to put a stop to it.
    I rather doubt that. But, in any event, let it happen.

What's happening instead is the pussification of football, leaving the sport with no fans in 30 years but ***** and cat ladies.

The NFL has to put in these pansy rules for that reason. If they don't they're going to end up with dead bodies on the field, and unlike in boxing, that is not supposed to be one of the risks inherent to football.

I watch football just to watch the Chiefs massacre the non believers. With the weapons they have in the offense, it is pure joy to watch. And if anyone cares to know, none of their players kneel for the anthem.

Keeping politics out of my football.

FWIW, I couldn't give a $#@! about the Chiefs.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I watch football just to watch the Chiefs massacre the non believers. With the weapons they have in the offense, it is pure joy to watch. And if anyone cares to know, none of their players kneel for the anthem.

They were one of the few opening day teams that looked like an NFL playoff team . The Buccaneers , Vikings , Redskins , Broncos and Ravens looked like they had some potential , everyone else looked avg at best except the teams that were really awful ( Bills , Lions , cowboys etc ) . It was week one , but some of those showings should be embarrassing .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    They were one of the few opening day teams that looked like an NFL playoff team . The Buccaneers , Vikings , Redskins , Broncos and Ravens looked like they had some potential , everyone else looked avg at best except the teams that were really awful ( Bills , Lions , cowboys etc ) . It was week one , but some of those showings should be embarrassing .
    Indeed and their defense actually looked good. I cannot wait to see what they do with Kelce, Hill and Benjamin goes on full steam. Its going to be magic.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Panthers Tight End Olsen fractured foot .
    Do something Danke

Chargers 8 point favorites against Bills . Undefeated Cleveland Browns roll into the Big Easy . Rams have the Cardinals , Raiders go to Mile High .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Panthers Tight End Olsen fractured foot .
    The only thing Dallas accomplished in that game was to wreak havoc on the Panther's injured list.

...which doesn't matter anyway, since the Panthers are terrible and not a division rival.

Bills , Cardinals , Lions , Raiders look like could be most probable at 0 - 2 . Maybe the Colts , After that , three of these six will be 0 - 2 . Seattle , Chicago , Dallas , Giants , Tennessee , Houston .
    Do something Danke

The only good news is that Prescott's playing so badly that even the coaches might notice and start the search for a quarterback.

...someone wise in the ways of football once told me that having a quarterback on a team is fairly important.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    FWIW, I couldn't give a $#@! about the Chiefs.
    But your screen name is @kcchiefs6465 ...what's the story here?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    But your screen name is @kcchiefs6465 ...what's the story here?
    Basically the pussification of the sport, which really ramped up in my estimation about five years ago has made the game unwatchable.

Games are decided with penalties.

One of the announcers a couple years back (referring to a call that affected the outcome of a game) said, "The NFL rulebook is like the IRS Code, no one knows what's in it!" That was the last game I even attempted to watch.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Basically the pussification of the sport, which really ramped up in my estimation about five years ago has made the game unwatchable.

One of the announcers a couple years back (referring to a call that affected the outcome of a game) said, "The NFL rulebook is like the IRS Code, no one knows what's in it!" That was the last game I even attempted to watch.
    at the 4:00 mark

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

You know, I can understand you not liking the NFL because of rules put in place to protect the health of NFL players, but why the Chiefs? its not like they played any part in it. Also why use something a commentator said as one of your rationales? These guys are just celebrities put on TV to talk. I have noticed that most times, listening to radio commentary is more entertaining that TV ones. Most of these people are give their job not because of knowledge but rather their celebrity status and looks.

I used to be like you, there was a time I just wanted football to be played the old fashion way. Damn CTE or other debilitating injuries players might be saddled with post career but as I get older, I have come to appreciate more of the safety rules put in place. They are not perfect atm, but they are being adjusted with experience and sooner rather than later they would reach the equilibrium point for safety for this very physical point.

I implore you to have patience and understand that they are not doing this because they are soft or pussies. The brain is a very delicate organ and it isn't easy trying to juggle safety with high contact sport like football.

Football by design is "play war" - a substitute for people killing each other. If people end up killing each other playing football, the design has catastrophically failed and its existence as a commonly-played sport will come to an end shortly after.
    Maybe flag football-but in tackle football, getting tackled is inherently injurious. Obviously not as bad as getting punched in the face, but worse than any legal judo throw-as the grappling arts (in sport form) are designed so contestants won't rattle their brains around in their skulls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Danke played Center .
    Do something Danke

You know, I can understand you not liking the NFL because of rules put in place to protect the health of NFL players, but why the Chiefs? its not like they played any part in it. Also why use something a commentator said as one of your rationales? These guys are just celebrities put on TV to talk. I have noticed that most times, listening to radio commentary is more entertaining that TV ones. Most of these people are give their job not because of knowledge but rather their celebrity status and looks.

I used to be like you, there was a time I just wanted football to be played the old fashion way. Damn CTE or other debilitating injuries players might be saddled with post career but as I get older, I have come to appreciate more of the safety rules put in place. They are not perfect atm, but they are being adjusted with experience and sooner rather than later they would reach the equilibrium point for safety for this very physical point.

I implore you to have patience and understand that they are not doing this because they are soft or pussies. The brain is a very delicate organ and it isn't easy trying to juggle safety with high contact sport like football.
    Implore? Is it that important to you that he watch football?
    "The Patriarch"

All fair points but let's be honest, when a quarterback is slapped on top of the head and a fifteen yard penalty is applied, and the outcome of the game changes, who reimburses those who lost money as a result of that decision?

People bet a lot of money on these games under the assumption that the rules are the rules and that they aren't arbitrarily assessed.

The announcer should know the rules. When I watched football, I knew the rules. Depending on the referee, the rules would change. That was before the rules changed.

Looking forward to this at the next Olympics.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast