Thread: Berkeley Adds an 'Adulting' Class

Berkeley Adds an 'Adulting' Class

(NEWSER) – "Adulting" classes have been springing up over the years, instructing millennials how to cook, manage their time, and pay their taxes. Now, the University of California Berkeley has an offering, too. Students Belle Lau and Jenny Zhou launched the adulting class, exploring "the many dimensions of how to successfully adult," through the student-run DeCal Program this spring. "We realized the things we don't learn in school are topics like taxes and just how to take care of yourself," Lau, a 20-year-old junior, tells the San Francisco Chronicle. "We're the middlemen trying to get professionals to talk about these topics to students." The response was so overwhelming, with 100 people applying to fill the class' 30 seats, that two sessions will be offered this fall.

Students have already heard from Lau’s mother, an accountant. A Lyft recruiter also spoke on resume building, while an economics professor advised saving half of all earnings. Other topics include stress relief and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. “We don't really know that much, so we're all learning together,” says Lau. Georgia Tech offered a similar course in 2016, notes Andrew Zaleski, who wrote last fall at CityLab about his own experience with adulting classes at the online Adulting Collective, including one focused on hangover avoidance (you can get into GA Tech but you don't know how to avoid a hangover?). In reporting last year that adulting classes were "expanding across the country," CBS News noted millennials may be behind on certain skills as many have never lived apart from their parents.
    https://www.newser.com/story/279486/...-adulting.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Those were life skills. All of us in my family new how to cook, do laundry, sew, clean the house, repair things... We all new math. When it came time to balance a checkbook it was pretty darn simple. Each checkbook came with a ledger. We could even purchase carbon copy checks. How hard is it to put a beginning balance in the box at the top and list each check written and deduct it from the balance?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Those were life skills. All of us in my family new how to cook, do laundry, sew, clean the house, repair things... We all new math. When it came time to balance a checkbook it was pretty darn simple. Each checkbook came with a ledger. We could even purchase carbon copy checks. How hard is it to put a beginning balance in the box at the top and list each check written and deduct it from the balance?
    I was just telling DW how my mom had each of her sons get their own checking account in 2nd grade and we had to write checks for anything we wanted to buy and made us balance our check books. Ditto to all the other stuff, I think I did more laundry and cooking than my mom by the time I entered my teen years. Helped my dad build our house. My kid is learning the same and discussing getting him a checking account too.

I feel many students at Berkeley will be failing that class.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

"We realized the things we don't learn in school are topics like taxes and just how to take care of yourself," Lau, a 20-year-old junior, tells the San Francisco Chronicle.
    Well, I guess your parents are the government is just too busy with other things.

Apparently, this is what happens when the nanny state isn't enough of a helicopter parent ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 09-08-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

When I was growing up the very idea that anyone would ever need anything like an "Adulting Class" would have been mercilessly ridiculed. Much of this stuff would have been learned from our parents, usually by making us actually do it in the form of chores or occasionally as punishment. Anything we didn't learn that way we learned on our own since we were raised to be intelligent, resourceful and responsible enough to do so. We had those qualities because our parents DID NOT shelter and protect us from any possible negative outcome in the real world, but made certain that we actually experienced significant risks, losses and disappointments at whatever level they deemed us capable of dealing with at each stage of our upbringing.

This (the need for "Adulting Classes") is what you get from insanely overprotective parenting and a society that constantly sells it as a virtue.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 09-08-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Hmmm, I don't know about this.

Responsibility, being on time, taking care of yourself, paying bills and taxes on time, planning ahead.

Those are all traits of white supremacy...sounds pretty racist to me.

I'm alerting BerkLee right now.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Thanks @Suzanimal I'm going to incorporate these classes in my homes.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You would think this would be part of the admissions interview. No sense in wasting taxpayer dollars offering what should be considered prerequisite skills with federally-guaranteed student loan money.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I think a class like this is very useful and should be part of every high school. I am not sure the sneering. Truthfully, I think a class like this might be the most beneficial thing a lot of people would get out of school. John Wooden focused on the basics. And having a good foundation in life seems like a good idea.

Baby boomers were horrifically bad at all of those things. Baby boomers are almost universally awful at all things related to money whether it is how to invest, reduce their tax bill, debt, or just saving money. How many Baby Boomer parents cook? Are Baby Boomers good at managing time? A huge percentage are drugged out on anti-depressants because they are overwhelmed. Given that Baby Boomers are so awful, it seems true their parents much have been awful. Stopping the cycle of being a moron seems useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I think a class like this is very useful and should be part of every high school. I am not sure the sneering. Truthfully, I think a class like this might be the most beneficial thing a lot of people would get out of school. John Wooden focused on the basics. And having a good foundation in life seems like a good idea.

Baby boomers were horrifically bad at all of those things. Baby boomers are almost universally awful at all things related to money whether it is how to invest, reduce their tax bill, debt, or just saving money. How many Baby Boomer parents cook? Are Baby Boomers good at managing time? A huge percentage are drugged out on anti-depressants because they are overwhelmed. Given that Baby Boomers are so awful, it seems true their parents much have been awful. Stopping the cycle of being a moron seems useful.

WTH?

When were you born? And how does your birth date make you so much smarter than anyone else?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post

Where and how on earth did you come up such complete nonsense ?

Why is that class needed? Every essential skill that you don't know can be learned on youtube.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Why is that class needed? Every essential skill that you don't know can be learned on youtube.
    As a general rule in my experience, colleges make up stupid classes to justify inflated tuition or inflate it some more. Berkley is a brand-name uni, so that's prolly the case here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12