Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crops are rotting in fields as Trump's trade war bites US farmers

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Truth is treason in the empire of lies. ~Some Smart Guy
    Truth isn't found in MSM TDS articles.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Truth isn't found in MSM TDS articles.
    Believe the lies at bushbot.com
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How about you try responding to the facts people posted in this thread that counter the MSM lies?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I just drove through 200 miles of farmland. I saw nothing rotting in the fields. Not in four states. Not in Tennessee, Kentucky. Illinois, or Missouri.
    I often see fields that aren't fully harvested although I assume the farmers expect that. Watermelon, squash, peppers, cukes, tomato will get a lot of picking done and anything not the exact size or ripeness will then be left to rot. Once the picking is done locals will call the farmer and get permission to glean. Seems like a waste of produce but must not be profitable to do a 2nd picking.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    I agree China should stop taxing our farmers. In the meantime, these farmers should adapt and find new buyers.
    Wait a minute...

I was told our country's industries couldn't adapt. That's the whole reason for the tariffs, remember?? They say you raise tariffs because if you don't the industries wouldn't be able to adapt fast enough if another country cut off their imports to us. That's whole reason they don't want other countries selling us things for cheap. Because our industries couldn't adapt. And yet, you think farmers can adapt that fast??? Farmers rely on the seasons for their things to sell. You can build a steel plant anytime.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    That's what crop insurance is for. I suspect we aren't getting the whole story here

Another person who refuses to actually speak, just posts more crap.
    Wait- are you really insulting @AZJoe? He is one of the best & most honest posters on this forum.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Wait a minute...

I was told our country's industries couldn't adapt. That's the whole reason for the tariffs, remember?? They say you raise tariffs because if you don't the industries wouldn't be able to adapt fast enough if another country cut off their imports to us. That's whole reason they don't want other countries selling us things for cheap. Because our industries couldn't adapt. And yet, you think farmers can adapt that fast??? Farmers rely on the seasons for their things to sell. You can build a steel plant anytime.
    Food is fungible, the price of soybeans isn't unusually low and you can't just build a steel plant any time.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Who cares? Let the GMO garbage that is turning our young men into ladyboys rot in the fields. Farmers that produce that poisonous crap should go bankrupt for the damage they're causing to people to make a buck.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

oh please. No one in their right mind would even TRY to compete for that job because its undercut . most of the trade skills in arizona are undercut now, if an honest worker wanted to make a living, no one will pay that person their time and value because you have half ass $#@! services ready to undercut them by 60 percent sometimes. Flooring for instance.........guys who do specialize should be paid 3-4 dollars per square foot, but illegal immigrants undercut at 1 dollar per square foot. how? they shack up together, thats how familys on familys they can undercut that way,and its what really goes down in the ghettos. so when farmers want to pay american workers 8 dollars an hour, they are morons.

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    I often see fields that aren't fully harvested although I assume the farmers expect that. Watermelon, squash, peppers, cukes, tomato will get a lot of picking done and anything not the exact size or ripeness will then be left to rot. Once the picking is done locals will call the farmer and get permission to glean. Seems like a waste of produce but must not be profitable to do a 2nd picking.
    Harvesting your corn late, or leaving a strip against a field line, is good for bringing in the deer. Farmers need to have some meat to go with those potatoes!

XNN
    Last edited by XNavyNuke; 12-23-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope nobody missed x-navy nuke's post which said
    Please note that the super-duper Reuters journalist who quoted the farmer, Mr. Fortenot, in the original article failed to provide the background the he plowed 300 acres of beans under last year BEFORE the tariffs went into effect.

https://www.villeplattetoday.com/news/unique-trinity
    I know it's hard, but just walk away.

I hope nobody missed x-navy nuke's post which said

I know it's hard, but just walk away.

One dumbass farmer and the US government decides that they need to pass out $5 - 12B in farm subsidies? No, it's a halfassed attempt to correct Trump's tariff screw ups by passing out money that they don't have. They'll just print some $FRN's up, and add it to the National Debt.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

One dumbass farmer and the US government decides that they need to pass out $5 - 12B in farm subsidies? No, it's a halfassed attempt to correct Trump's tariff screw ups by passing out money that they don't have. They'll just print some $FRN's up, and add it to the National Debt.
    Nobody supports subsidies, but it seems that the goalposts are moving. Are you mad about the price of soy, or are you mad about the subsidies? Because the focus of the article you posted isn't the subsidies, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    oh please. No one in their right mind would even TRY to compete for that job because its undercut . most of the trade skills in arizona are undercut now, if an honest worker wanted to make a living, no one will pay that person their time and value because you have half ass $#@! services ready to undercut them by 60 percent sometimes. Flooring for instance.........guys who do specialize should be paid 3-4 dollars per square foot, but illegal immigrants undercut at 1 dollar per square foot. how? they shack up together, thats how familys on familys they can undercut that way,and its what really goes down in the ghettos. so when farmers want to pay american workers 8 dollars an hour, they are morons.
    I'm doing a project on a new house construction. It's being built by a hispanic fella that owns a flooring business. It's probably a $1.25m place built on the profits of his fellow hispanics but he's also enlisted many of those same associates to build the entire house itself. So he's getting it built pretty close to cost on top of the money made from undercutting other businesses, however it's plainly obvious where corners are being cut and workmanship leaves something to be desired. I don't hate him for it and it's pretty damn smart business but I think demonstrates your point.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I'm doing a project on a new house construction. It's being built by a hispanic fella that owns a flooring business. It's probably a $1.25m place built on the profits of his fellow hispanics but he's also enlisted many of those same associates to build the entire house itself. So he's getting it built pretty close to cost on top of the money made from undercutting other businesses, however it's plainly obvious where corners are being cut and workmanship leaves something to be desired. I don't hate him for it and it's pretty damn smart business but I think demonstrates your point.
    And most people wouldn’t know what constitutes quality until the roof falls on their heads. Sure, if it’s cosmetic and staring a person right in the face, then they might know. Applies to anything that the consumer does not understand and can not do themselves. Construction, vehicles, assorted mechanical things, computers, plumbing, electrical, etc.

Poor workmanship is the norm these days.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

That's what crop insurance is for. I suspect we aren't getting the whole story here

Another person who refuses to actually speak, just posts more crap.
    This is a completely non-sensical comment by angelatc.

• First, there is nothing stating the farmer did not have crop insurance.
    • Second, crop insurance does not haul bad crops away. The farmer would still need to do something with the crops that can’t be sold, like plow them under.
    • Third – crop insurance does not buy the crops, and does not replace profits. Crop insurance only covers actual expense losses. The profits are still lost even with crop insurance.
    • Fourth, although the crops were poor due to bad weather, the farmer stated they were still marketable as feed but for the trade war and the resultant soybean glut cause by the trade war. What would be needed here is trade-war insurance, not crop insurance for bad crops.
    • Fifth, with or without crop insurance does not make tariffs good. Tariffs are always a net negative on the economy imposing them.

Lastly, as to "just posting crap" - please stop doing that.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Nobody supports subsidies, but it seems that the goalposts are moving. Are you mad about the price of soy, or are you mad about the subsidies? Because the focus of the article you posted isn't the subsidies, is it?
    Actually Trump does. Trump is the one who doled out $4.7 billion and then a new $12 billion in direct farm subsidies to defray the damage caused by his other subsidies - tariffs. And the Op article did discuss those direct subsidies.

Tariffs themselves are a welfare subsidy. It is subsidizing purportedly non-competitive (although often the tariff subsidies aid very profitable business like the sugar industry) business at the expense of other businesses and consumers.

For instance the "Great" steel tariffs are a subsidy for U.S. raw material suppliers at the expense of U.S. manufacturers that use steel (Caterpillar, John Deere, Ford, GM, Construction, Boeing, etc) that now bear the higher costs and the consumers that the costs are past onto. It subsidizes base raw materials at the expense of U.S. manufacturing.

Tariffs are a welfare subsidy.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post

• Second, crop insurance does not haul bad crops away. The farmer would still need to do something with the crops that can’t be sold, like plow them under.
    • Third – crop insurance does not buy the crops, and does not replace profits. Crop insurance only covers actual expense losses. The profits are still lost even with crop insurance.
    • Fourth, although the crops were poor due to bad weather, the farmer stated they were still marketable as feed but for the trade war and the resultant soybean glut cause by the trade war. What would be needed here is trade-war insurance, not crop insurance for bad crops.
    • Fifth, with or without crop insurance does not make tariffs good. Tariffs are always a net negative on the economy imposing them.

She was just trolling ya.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Actually Trump does.

Tariffs are a welfare subsidy.
    Obviously I meant nobody here supports subsidies. Well, Zippy does, but he's a troll.

I posted charts showing that indicate that although the crops are off their record highs, and I also pointed out an article that another poster mentioned, in which we learned that the same farmer also had to plow his crops under the previous year before the tariffs were in effect.

Not defending tariffs, but this is just the media exploiting the leftist tendencies some of us have.

Who cares? Let the GMO garbage that is turning our young men into ladyboys rot in the fields. Farmers that produce that poisonous crap should go bankrupt for the damage they're causing to people to make a buck.
    worth quoting cuz that's just what I was going to say.. well pretty close anyway
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

that you are a moron

^^^^^^NM, posted removed, you're a thread sliding troll. No fun.
    Last edited by devil21; 12-27-2018 at 03:55 AM.

Obviously I meant nobody here supports subsidies. Well, Zippy does, but he's a troll.
    There is a difference between supporting a subsidy and complying/utilizing what is available. No person would support not paying for goods but yet they support bankruptcy. Ron Paul himself would take money for his state. He would utilize deductions available when filing taxes. If the law exists use it until the law gets changed. Go shopping to the grocery. If you don't use coupon or store card you pay more for items. I don't like to use coupons or store card but use them because if I don't I pay more than I need to. If a family of 4 making $30,000 is capable of having food stamps or whatever it is called these days and heating assistance and choose not to do so they don't save any money for the government. All money gets spent.

If there are programs available for poor people and you fit the criteria why not use them until they are no longer available. If you do not utilize what is available or what you qualify for it is like not taking a deduction on your income tax that you are entitled to.

If every person utilized the programs that are available to them maybe it would go broke.

Would you use a city, state, or national park?

If a farmer/rancher has to comply with all the USDA or FDA regulations that are disadvantageous to their endeavor, why would they not utilize the part of a regulation that had advantage?

All grain depots and silos are almost full, meaning farmers have to find their own storage solutions or allow their crops to rot. Neither option is particularly palatable.
    Not particularly palatable to whom? I would think that to those who favor farm subsidies, such as Trump and I'm guessing many of these farmers themselves, these options are quite palatable, and preferable to a free market.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    It is bs . Any crop being disced into the dirt would be because it is not good enough to sell . I sold all of my beans before 11/10 and got what I expected all yr for them . Also most people do not even have a plow anymore.In the old days even damaged crop would have been used for livestock feed , there would be zero waste . Now big farmers are often more specialized and large crop farmers have no iivestock and buy food at the grocery. My Grandfather would have thought they were dull.
    yep... small family farms were diverse... grew a wide variety of crops & raised livestock... & much of the 'waste' crop was used to feed livestock... in other words, virtually no waste ... now largely taken over by factory farms that grow nothing but gmo corn, gmo soybeans & more gmo corn... no wonder they need to be subsidized.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I drove three state four different times since I sold all of my beans . I saw no crops rotting in the fields . I accept no subsidies nor have I ever . I will though be OK if @Danke wants to pick up my bar tab today & tomorrow .
    Do something Danke

Eric Boehm pumping his soybean Armageddon over on Reason again today.

Trump's Trade War Continues To Crush Soybean Farmers
    https://reason.com/2019/07/05/trumps...ybean-farmers/

For supposedly being populated by a bunch of brilliant economic theorists, the folks over at Reason sure have a difficult time realizing that agricultural commodities are fungible. When the current Administration started pissing in China's tofu on day one, the talking heads couldn't stop pushing stories about crashing markets and farm auctions the likes of which hadn't been seen since the Great Depression. Ignore the facts and keep pumping the narrative! Reason is as bad as the rest. Instead of a crashed soybean market, last year saw record exports.

U.S. Soy Sets Export Record in Market Year
    https://soygrowers.com/news-releases...ing-september/
    According to the U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. soybean farmers exported a record-breaking 2.6 billion bushels of U.S. soy and soy products, valued at more than $28 billion last market year. The U.S. also set a new record high in combined volume of the whole soybeans, soybean meal and soybean oil exported in 2017/2018, with soybean meal exports accounting for the greatest growth.
    Keep banging away on the keyboard Herr Doktor Boehm.
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Eric Boehm pumping his soybean Armageddon over on Reason again today.

Trump's Trade War Continues To Crush Soybean Farmers
    https://reason.com/2019/07/05/trumps...ybean-farmers/

For supposedly being populated by a bunch of brilliant economic theorists, the folks over at Reason sure have a difficult time realizing that agricultural commodities are fungible. When the current Administration started pissing in China's tofu on day one, the talking heads couldn't stop pushing stories about crashing markets and farm auctions the likes of which hadn't been seen since the Great Depression. Ignore the facts and keep pumping the narrative! Reason is as bad as the rest. Instead of a crashed soybean market, last year saw record exports.

U.S. Soy Sets Export Record in Market Year
    https://soygrowers.com/news-releases...ing-september/

Keep banging away on the keyboard Herr Doktor Boehm.
    XNN
    TReason magazine.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast