Thread: Education Sec: DeVos Nomination Hanging By A Thread

Education Sec: DeVos Nomination Hanging By A Thread

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/02...-will-vote-no/

DeVos confirmation hanging by a thread as two Republicans indicate they will vote ‘no’

The confirmation of President Donald Trump’s education secretary nominee, Betsy DeVos, appears to be hanging by a thread.

Republican Sens. Susan Collins (Maine) and Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) have indicated that they will vote oppose DeVos’ confirmation.

Without the support of the two Republicans, the likelihood of DeVos’ confirmation becomes questionable.

According to the Washington Post, both senators have said they admire DeVos’s efforts to help at-risk children through her advocacy for school vouchers and charter schools, they are feel she doesn’t have the experience to lead the Department of Education because she has not worked in public schools, attended them or sent her children to them.

“I simply cannot support her confirmation,” Collins said during remarks on the Senate floor.

Murkowski echoed the sentiment in her own remarks on the Senate floor.

“I take very personally the success of Alaska’s schools and Alaska schoolchildren,” Murkowski said. “I believe that my colleagues here in the United States Senate and the many, many that they represent have the right to debate these questions.”

She said she struggled with the decision before deciding she would oppose DeVos’ confirmation.

“I conclude my remarks to make clear that my colleagues know firmly that I do not intend to vote on final passage to support Mrs. DeVos to be secretary of education,” Murkowski said.

The Washington Post reports that if all of the 48 senators that caucus with Democrats vote against DeVos, and they are joined by both Collins and Murkowski, her the vote to confirm would be 50-50, assuming she earns the vote of every other Republican. In that case, Vice President Pence, who supports her confirmation, would likely cast a tie-breaking vote in her favor.

Although if Collins and Murkowski are joined by any other Republicans in voting no and she does not earn any Democratic votes, DeVos would not be confirmed.

Roll Call reported that in light of the increased risk to her confirmation, Republicans rushed to move DeVos’ confirmation vote ahead of that for Sen. Jeff Session’s confirmation vote for attorney general. Should the Alabama Republican be confirmed before DeVos, he would resign from his seat, and would not be able to vote for her.
    Expect the Dems to postpones Devos confirmation and take up Sessions. Without Sessions to vote for her, she would not be confirmed and the Dems can claim a victory.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe Trump should just abolish it.

Guess I'll have to step in and do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

VP Mike Pence may be needed to break tie on DeVos confirmation

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/po...s-confirmation

WASHINGTON — Vice President Mike Pence could be forced to cast a historic, tie-breaking vote Tuesday in the U.S. Senate on the presidential nomination of Betsy DeVos to be education secretary.

President Donald Trump nominated the Michigan billionaire to serve over public schools at the Department of Education, but her lack of familiarity with federal programs has led two GOP senators to oppose her.

U.S. Sens. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Susan Collins of Maine, both Republicans, went to the floor of the Senate last week to announce that they would not vote in favor of her confirmation.

With Republicans holding a slim 52-48 majority in the Senate, the defection of Murkowski and Collins would force a 50-50 tie and require Pence to cast the deciding vote.

Senators continued debate Monday, with a vote expected Tuesday.

Pence told Fox News Sunday he is confident that DeVos will be confirmed. But he said he will be present and plans to cast the vote to do it, if need be.

Pence told the broadcast that’s never happened “in the history of this country.”

Other than Murkowski and Collins, senators have split along strict party lines.

U.S. Sen. Dean Heller, R-Nev., said he would vote to confirm DeVos.

Heller, in a statement, said DeVos understands the need to bring back education control to state and local boards. “I look forward to working with her to empower our parents, teachers, and local education officials.”

Her support of charter schools and school vouchers, however, has brought opposition from teachers unions and groups that advocate for public schools.

U.S. Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, D-Nev., said she would oppose DeVos because she has no experience in public education.

“Her only experience for this job is her decades of fighting to divert money away from public education to support charter schools and vouchers for private, religious schools,’’ Cortez Masto said in a statement.

Despite Trump administration confidence that DeVos will be confirmed, a conservative group is running advertising nationally in support of her nomination.

Curt Anderson with America Next said the group purchased more than $500,000 to broadcast two spots on cable TV. One spot, called “Equal Opportunity,” touts DeVos as a supporter of school choice.

A second spot, called “Angry Liberals,” touts the same message but with footage of Inauguration Day rioting and the Women’s March on Washington.

“Of course Betsy DeVos will be confirmed,” Anderson said. “But the left has dominated the discussion, and it it time that somebody pushed back and stood up for what is right here — and that is allowing families to have more options and choices.”

The America Next non-profit is a 501(c)(4) associated with former Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, who sought the Republican presidential nomination in 2016, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a non-partisan watchdog group.

Meanwhile, the American Federation of Teachers has started a letter-writing campaign with more than 89,000 messages sent to senators urging them to vote against DeVos.

“We need to make sure the Senate hears loud and clear that Americans want an education secretary who supports and will strengthen public education,” the union said, “…not one who’s determined to destroy it.”

Contact Gary Martin at gmartin@reviewjournal.com or 202-662-7390. Follow @garymartindc on Twitter.

The democrats don't want there to be even the slightest chance that their indoctrination centers get less money.

The best solution would be for everyone to pay for their own kids schooling. However it's a no brainer that some sort of voucher system is infinitely better than govt schools.

I have some concerns about DeVos, with the only benefit in my mind being the possibility of vouchers (not charter schools). If the government is going to be involved in education, it should be a 100% voucher based system, letting parents decide without the influence of government mandates and the option of non-union staff.

So who's next in line? I'm certain that this administration will grow government - there's no way they're going to get rid of the department of education.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

THey certainly are making a stink about her.

Looks like I was correct, though. THey want to defeat her just so they can claim a victory of some kind against Trump. Doesn't look like it will succeed unless one more Rep. Senator defects.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    inb4 common core
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

I'm not sure how much she can do about K-12 vouchers. That seems like more of a state thing.

She could shut down many of the rape witch hunts on college campuses in pretty short order.

And maybe open up investigations into the universities that are encouraging Communist riots and threaten to cut off their funding.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo View Post
    I'm not sure how much she can do about K-12 vouchers. That seems like more of a state thing.
    That's true but I thought I remember the Feds doing something to discourage states from switching to vouchers. Not sure though.

I'm starting to remember, now. I think the problem was that vouchers would get challenged in court on the separation of church and state. That really pisses me off. First of all the idea of the "separation of church and state" is to increase freedom by not forcing people into a state sponsored religion. People that choose to use a voucher on a religious school are doing it voluntarily. Banning vouchers is actually less freedom because now you are forced to attend a govt school. So in their liberal twisted world "separation of church and state" means less freedom not more. On top of that if you ban vouchers because the user "might" choose a religious school you'd have to ban many forms of welfare because it "might" be used for religious purposes.
    Last edited by Madison320; 02-07-2017 at 02:25 PM.

She doesn't even know much about education. But she is for guns in schools to protect them from grizzly bears. http://www.businessinsider.com/betsy...y-bears-2017-1

Trump's pick for education secretary says guns in schools could 'protect from potential grizzlies'

Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut questioned President-elect Trump's pick for secretary of education yesterday at her confirmation hearing. Betsy DeVos stated that guns in schools could "protect from potential grizzlies."

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    She doesn't even know much about education. But she is for guns in schools to protect them from grizzly bears. http://www.businessinsider.com/betsy...y-bears-2017-1
    Nothing wrong with that. Glad she doesn't know anything about education, maybe she will screw up the Dept of Ed so bad they might have to get rid of it.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    She doesn't even know much about education. But she is for guns in schools to protect them from grizzly bears.
    Zippy's another attempt at humor falls flat on its face again.

Zippy, why did not you let us know you are going for the Best Libertarian in Mexico City prize? We will vote for you. Vote Zippy.

Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    Nothing wrong with that. Glad she doesn't know anything about education, maybe she will screw up the Dept of Ed so bad they might have to get rid of it.
    Maybe she will be so obnoxious that the DOE bureaucrats will all quit in protest.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Maybe she will be so obnoxious that the DOE bureaucrats will all quit in protest.

XNN