Thread: MSNBC Host Says Voters Didn't Know About Inflation Until Republican "Taught Them" The Word

MSNBC Host Says Voters Didn't Know About Inflation Until Republican "Taught Them" The Word

Joy Reid Says Voters Didn't Know About Inflation Until Republican Politicians "Taught Them" The Word

BY TYLER DURDEN
    NOV 05, 2022

MSNBC's Joy Reid has been a veritable gold mine of bad takes, ignorant comments and authoritarian arguments over the past few years.

This includes her consistent demand that people without covid vaccines be denied medical care, that they be punished with fines, as well as her baseless assertions that hurricanes are a product of "global warming."

Her latest comments might be her most bizarre yet, with a mind boggling claim that American voters were essentially oblivious to the issue of inflation until conservative political candidates started talking about it.

This narrative appears to be an extension of a common gas-lighting strategy among Democrats; a way to dismiss the problems Americans most care about in 2022 as overblown. Reid's suggestion insinuates that the public was comfortably unaware of the inflationary/stagflationary crisis and could have stayed that way had it not been for those meddling Republicans and their refusal to use the "common tongue" on the campaign trail. In other words, she thinks the average voter is stupid.

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/...ns-taught-them

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How dare Republicans educate the voters?!
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

"And they wrap this word around the reasons why they really want to vote"

Yup. Inflation is a code word that racists use to hide their racism
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    How dare Republicans educate the voters?!
    Republicans are not "educating" the voters about the existence of inflation.

Voters are already well aware of its existence, and Republicans are merely trying to exploit that awareness to their advantage. [1]

That's what makes Reid's fatuous statements so bizarre and absurd.

However ...

FTA:
    This narrative [is] an extension of a common gas-lighting strategy among Democrats; a way to dismiss [problems] as overblown. [... Reid] thinks the average voter is stupid.
    Reid's remarks are not directed at or intended for "average voter[s]" (though she may indeed think they are stupid).

It's not "average" voters she's trying to gas-light - it's Democrat voters (whether merely "average" ones, or special ones like her and her fellow "influencers" [2]).

She is trying to give them a reality-defying excuse they can latch on to (like drowning people desperately clutching at flotsam) in order to justify voting for Democrats anyway.

If they had any better (i.e., sane) arguments, then they'd be making them. But they don't, so they're not. This kind of ridiculous nonsense is all they've got - and they know it.

[1] Note that being aware of the existence of inflation is not the same as understanding the nature and causes of inflation - and I am not seeing many Republicans trying to (accurately) "educate" anyone about the latter (kudos to the few who are, like Thomas Massie), rather than merely blaming the Democrats (despite the fact that Republicans in general are every bit as responsible for it as the Democrats are).

[2] These are not impressive people. She is no doubt trying to talk herself into believing her own nonsense at least as much as she's trying to convince anyone else.

"To be black-pilled is to regard [people like Joy Reid] as unstoppable foes." -- Michael Malice
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-06-2022 at 02:11 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    "And they wrap this word around the reasons why they really want to vote"

Yup. Inflation is a code word that racists use to hide their racism
    "They use language not to communicate but to manipulate." -- Michael Malice

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Note that being aware of the existence of inflation is not the same as understanding the nature and causes of inflation - and I am not seeing many Republicans trying to (accurately) "educate" anyone about the latter (kudos to the few who are, like Thomas Massie), rather than merely blaming the Democrats (despite the fact that Republicans in general are every bit as responsible for it as the Democrats are).
    https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...93995565289472

The problem with inflation is that it's not an "issue". Immigration is an "issue". Abortion is an "issue". Inflation is something you pay on the 1st of the month when rent comes due, every time you fill up your gas tank on the way to work, every time you pay the utility bills, every time you buy the same basket of groceries you've been buying for the last 3 years for 10-20% less than you're paying now. There are lots of "election dirty tricks" and both Repugs and Demoncrats are extremely skilled in them. But no amount of dirty tricks will make Americans forget their 10-20% pay dock across the board, through the auspices of the secular price-rise created by the central bank printing up an ocean of money out of thin air and directly injecting it into the economy through their buddies in Wall Street.

Note that the Repugs are not actually any better about keeping the central bank on a leash -- countless trillions have been printed under full Repug control and blown on foreign military adventurism. The only difference is that the Repugs are better at channeling the excess cash to causes that whip up national sentiment and thereby redirect the bulk of the cash to jobs that are attainable by normies. The Demoncrats spend it all on DC lobbying and gold-plated nepotism for themselves and their mafia buddies. Both parties are but crooks and thieves, the Repugs just happen to be more skilled in handling this particular political weapon. In the end, the ordinary American is laid waste, either way. Unless you work in the DC Establishment or the MIC, the difference is purely stylistic.
    Last edited by ClaytonB; 11-06-2022 at 08:01 PM.
    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

Who is 'Joy Reid' and why is she getting attention?

Looks like a Tee-Vee clown........I quit Tee-Vee clowns with Bozo...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pretty sure most voters have already heard the word inflation. It's not like this is the first time in world history where inflation was a massive problem.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

She is a brainwashed shill.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

Republicans are not "educating" the voters about the existence of inflation.

Voters are already well aware of its existence, and Republicans are merely trying to exploit that awareness to their advantage. [1]

That's what makes Reid's fatuous statements so bizarre and absurd.
    I know, I was running with her premise and showing how absurd her position is even if her premise was true.
    Voters have known about inflation since Jimmy Carter's Whip Inflation Now campaign. (actually much longer than that)

Note that being aware of the existence of inflation is not the same as understanding the nature and causes of inflation - and I am not seeing many Republicans trying to (accurately) "educate" anyone about the latter (kudos to the few who are, like Thomas Massie), rather than merely blaming the Democrats (despite the fact that Republicans in general are every bit as responsible for it as the Democrats are).
    There are more than you think that are talking about government spending and the shutdown of economic production being the causes. (the shutdown of production actually had a bigger effect than the spending)
    Democrats are more responsible for both than Republicans are.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Voters have known about inflation since Jimmy Carter's Whip Inflation Now campaign. (actually much longer than that)
    "Whip Inflation Now" was Ford, not Carter.

There are more than you think that are talking about government spending and the shutdown of economic production being the causes. (the shutdown of production actually had a bigger effect than the spending)
    Spending and reduced production (for whatever reason(s)) are not the causes of inflation - monetary expansion (i.e., "money printing") is.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon." -- Milton Friedman

Inflation is the most persistent and pernicious cause of price increases, but it is not the only one. There are many others, and conflating them all under the rubric of "inflation" only confuses the issue (which is why so much of the rhetoric concerning the matter is just sloppy, incoherent, and often contradictory jibber-jabber).

But even putting such quibbles aside, I'm sure plenty of Republicans are indeed talking about spending, etc. They always do.

And that's just the problem - they've never really done anything but talk.

Every single time they've been in power and could have done something about it, they've actually increased spending.

Every. Single. Time.

I see no reason to think things will be any different the next time they're in power.

When it comes to keeping the spigots open and flowing, Republicans have as much to gain (and as little to lose) as the Democrats do.

It is naivete (or wishful partisan delusion) to imagine otherwise.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-07-2022 at 04:06 PM.

LOL

Trying to change history like a commie.

When Ford started that, Republicans had been in the White House for seven years. Nixon did Bretton Woods II, and the Fed started printing like an addict that had finally stolen enough to overdose. Quick quiz: What party was Nixon?

As for your alpha crush, he kick started this current crisis. It couldn't have already been underway even as Biden was installed otherwise.

Last edited by acptulsa; 11-07-2022 at 06:13 AM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Lost in all tis blah is the fact most voters know of inflation but havnt even figured out what caused inflation. media makes certain to not cover that so what you must ask is why? The answer to that can usually be derived by determining who benefits the most.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    LOL

Trying to change history like a commie.

When Ford started that, Republicans had been in the White House for seven years. Nixon did Bretton Woods II, and the Fed started printing like an addict that had finally stolen enough to overdose. Quick quiz: What party was Nixon?

As for your alpha crush, he kick started this current crisis. It couldn't have already been underway even as Biden was installed otherwise.

I made a minor mistake about two pathetic one term Presidents from before I was born. Sue me.

The chart you posted shows that the current rise in government spending started under O'Bummer.
    It is true that many Republicans in Congress and the White House have been less than stellar (Congress being more at fault than POTUS) but the Demoncrats are always worse ever since Wilson gave us the Fed in the first place and FDR gave us the New Deal.
    The Demoncrats also have only accelerated the difference between them and the GOP since the days of O'Bummer; what Congress and Trump did was nothing compared to what Biden and friends have done since they stole 2020.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Lost in all tis blah is the fact most voters know of inflation but havnt even figured out what caused inflation. media makes certain to not cover that so what you must ask is why? The answer to that can usually be derived by determining who benefits the most.
    Inflation is a regressive tax that harms those who live paycheck to paycheck while benefiting those with access to government spending and going easy on owners of valuable assets.
    The Super rich benefit the most, so naturally their preferred catspaw is "the party of the little guy" for easier deniability.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I made a minor mistake about two pathetic one term Presidents from before I was born. Sue me.

The chart you posted shows that the current rise in government spending started under O'Bummer.
    It is true that many Republicans in Congress and the White House have been less than stellar (Congress being more at fault than POTUS) but the Demoncrats are always worse ever since Wilson gave us the Fed in the first place and FDR gave us the New Deal.
    The Demoncrats also have only accelerated the difference between them and the GOP since the days of O'Bummer; what Congress and Trump did was nothing compared to what Biden and friends have done since they stole 2020.
    Blah blah blah lesser evil. Look at where all these "lesser evils" have gotten us.

I didn't say one good thing about Obama. I merely pointed out that there has been no functional difference between the parties since before you were born. Any difference you see between them in the last 96 years is a product of your myriad partisan blind spots that cause these continual "minor mistakes", as you fancy them.

The "current rise" started under Eisenhower. It has been continual since. Continual. If you want to see acceleration, look at Reagan and Dubya (since you won't take an honest look at Trump's record in the really real world).
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-08-2022 at 04:11 AM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.