Thread: Michigan becomes first state to ban flavoured e-cigarettes

Michigan becomes first state to ban flavoured e-cigarettes

Michigan has become the first US state to ban flavoured e-cigarettes as part of efforts to curb youth vaping.

The ban goes into effect in the next 30 days and bars the sale of any flavoured vaping products in retail stores and online.

"My number one priority is keeping our kids safe," said Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer in a statement.

The measure will last six months, with the possibility of an extension and comes amid other action against vaping.

Ms Whitmer also banned what she described as misleading marketing of such products, prohibiting adverts that describe vaping products as "clean", "safe" or "healthy".

"We've seen an explosive increase in the number of Michigan kids exposed to vaping products," said Joneigh Khaldun, chief medical executive for Michigan. "This is a public health crisis."

In just one year - from 2017 to 2018 - the US Food and Drug Administration reported a 78% jump in school students vaping.

The move by Michigan's governor is the latest action in the US against e-cigarettes.

In June, San Francisco became the first US city to ban sales of e-cigarettes and lawmakers in Boulder, Colorado, passed a similar ban last week.

Reacting to the ban, Greg Conley, president of the American Vaping Association, called it a "shameless attempt at backdoor prohibition will close down several hundred Michigan small businesses and could send tens of thousands of ex-smokers back to deadly combustible cigarettes.

"These businesses and their customers will not go down without a fight."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49585672

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "We've seen an explosive increase in the number of Michigan kids exposed to vaping products," said Joneigh Khaldun, chief medical executive for Michigan. "This is a public health crisis."

In just one year - from 2017 to 2018 - the US Food and Drug Administration reported a 78% jump in school students vaping.
    Such bull$#@!... Nicotine use overall is down over the last few decades, and now kids are choosing an alternative that is probably 98% safer than cigarettes. Vaping is a public health miracle, not a crisis.

Last edited by dannno; 09-04-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

So adults cannot purchase flavored vape?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    So adults cannot purchase flavored vape?
    $#@!ing Nazis.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

What about the vape stores and small businesses providing jobs etc. this ban is a disgrace.

Michigans governor is a complete disgrace. E-cigarettes are a healthier alternative to reg cigarettes.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Liberty Flavored Vape Juice now in Exile.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Sorry, I have no tolerance for this bull$#@!.

Liberty Flavored Vape Juice now in Exile.
    I wonder if they would be able to get away with:

Selling flavored ejuice without nicotine in it, next to bottles of unflavored nicotine that they can mix with the ejuice.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

Do you vape? I do not.

Selling flavored ejuice without nicotine in it, next to bottles of unflavored nicotine that they can mix with the ejuice.
    Concentrated unflavored Nicotine.

Well you don't want to sell the pure freebase nicotine, which is available, but that stuff can be dangerous. However if you had a nic free flavored ejuice, and you had 30mg unflavored nicotine ejuice, you could mix the two at a ratio of 10:1 and get a 3mg ejuice which is good for sub ohm vaping. Or you could mix it at a 5:1 ratio and get 6mg ejuice which is about as strong as you want to go for freebase nicotine.. anything more than that is usually really harsh.

If you want stronger ejuice for smaller pens that are more like the juuls, then they can make a 120mg flavor free nic salt concentrate. Then a 10:1 ratio would produce 30mg nic salt juice, which is good for mixing into the small pens that produce very little vapor.

Hey, it went through the normal legislative process oh wait no it didn't.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Such bull$#@!... Nicotine use overall is down over the last few decades, and now kids are choosing an alternative that is probably 98% safer than cigarettes. Vaping is a public health miracle, not a crisis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    What about the vape stores and small businesses providing jobs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    E-cigarettes are a healthier alternative to reg cigarettes.

None of these things matter. Not one little bit. They are completely and utterly irrelevant.

The people responsible for these shenanigans don't give a damn about any of that.

Lawmakers gonna make laws. It's what they do. It's just that simple.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 09-04-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You can buy that, its toxic and very dangerous. But people have been doing it for years to mix their own juice.

I think "getting away with it" has something to do with it and not for the reason you stated, but flipped.

I think the control Nazis are upset that people are now getting their nicotine in a discreet way (no lingering odor, no give away smoke), people can discreetly vape all around and you can have no idea they vape at all. They can't handle that; as they cant ostracize you if they don't know you are doing something they don't approve of.

Michigan has a 32% tax on cigars as well.

I wish smokers had 1/10th the political will as gun owners. I had someone bitch at me for smoking a cigar on a walk. The anti-smoking people are Nazis.

Well you don't want to sell the pure freebase nicotine, which is available, but that stuff can be dangerous. However if you had a nic free flavored ejuice, and you had 30mg unflavored nicotine ejuice, you could mix the two at a ratio of 10:1 and get a 3mg ejuice which is good for sub ohm vaping. Or you could mix it at a 5:1 ratio and get 6mg ejuice which is about as strong as you want to go for freebase nicotine.. anything more than that is usually really harsh.

If you want stronger ejuice for smaller pens that are more like the juuls, then they can make a 120mg flavor free nic salt concentrate. Then a 10:1 ratio would produce 30mg nic salt juice, which is good for mixing into the small pens that produce very little vapor.
    I refill my juul pods. It costs a fraction of buying new pods. A $17 bottle of juice is equivalent to about 40 4 packs, which cost about $25 per pack for me.

Do you know any similar sized pens that are more easily refilled?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    I refill my juul pods. It costs a fraction of buying new pods. A $17 bottle of juice is equivalent to about 40 4 packs, which cost about $25 per pack for me.

Do you know any similar sized pens that are more easily refilled?
    Yes, I have the Smok Infinix

From what I can tell, it's about the same size/weight as a Juul.

It comes with a little bottle with a small tip that will refill the cartridges, and at least one extra cartridge.

Then you also want to get ejuice with nic salt. Have you heard of that? Apparently that has kinda been Juul's secret all along, is they created this stuff called nic salt that is much less harsh, and so you can vape it in higher concentrations with less vapor in a low wattage device. I have one bottle and since it is very high nic concentration, it is lasting a LONG time.. it is Salt Pudding by Milk Man, it is a delicious vanilla custard flavor.

You DO NOT want to use nic salt with a sub ohm vape, where you are vaping huge clouds. I have tried experimenting with a very low concentration nic salt, and I'm able to mix it with my other ejuice, but they are not making nic salt ejuice in low enough concentrations for me to use by itself in a sub ohm device yet.

Occasionally when I go to hit my Smok Infinix, there will be the "popping" noise which means there is a little leakage, but so far the leak all stays within the pen device. You can take the pod off, dry it off with a paper towel and put it back in and it works great.

I have been using it as my travel vape for road trips.. and I am also considering weening off the sub ohm vape and sticking with the Smok Infinix. I like blowing clouds and it tastes good, but I noticed that since I started vaping a few years ago I tend to carry an extra 5-10 lbs on me. I have a feeling it may be due to vaping sweet flavors which could be affecting my insulin production.

With the Smok Infinix, I can take a couple very tiny puffs and be ok. I may even just quit vaping regularly altogether.. I used to just smoke cigarettes when I was drunk, and maybe only like once a month or so. But with the government and the media constantly attacking the vaping industry, it makes me want to vape and support them.

Yes, I have the Smok Infinix

From what I can tell, it's about the same size/weight as a Juul.

It comes with a little bottle with a small tip that will refill the cartridges, and at least one extra cartridge.

Then you also want to get ejuice with nic salt. Have you heard of that? Apparently that has kinda been Juul's secret all along, is they created this stuff called nic salt that is much less harsh, and so you can vape it in higher concentrations with less vapor in a low wattage device. I have one bottle and since it is very high nic concentration, it is lasting a LONG time.. it is Salt Pudding by Milk Man, it is a delicious vanilla custard flavor.

You DO NOT want to use nic salt with a sub ohm vape, where you are vaping huge clouds. I have tried experimenting with a very low concentration nic salt, and I'm able to mix it with my other ejuice, but they are not making nic salt ejuice in low enough concentrations for me to use by itself in a sub ohm device yet.

Occasionally when I go to hit my Smok Infinix, there will be the "popping" noise which means there is a little leakage, but so far the leak all stays within the pen device. You can take the pod off, dry it off with a paper towel and put it back in and it works great.

I have been using it as my travel vape for road trips.. and I am also considering weening off the sub ohm vape and sticking with the Smok Infinix. I like blowing clouds and it tastes good, but I noticed that since I started vaping a few years ago I tend to carry an extra 5-10 lbs on me. I have a feeling it may be due to vaping sweet flavors which could be affecting my insulin production.

With the Smok Infinix, I can take a couple very tiny puffs and be ok. I may even just quit vaping regularly altogether.. I used to just smoke cigarettes when I was drunk, and maybe only like once a month or so. But with the government and the media constantly attacking the vaping industry, it makes me want to vape and support them.
    What would you do if California outlawed the juice and or nicotine?

What would you do if California outlawed the juice and or nicotine?
    Before the law took effect I would stock up. Then I would probably do whatever everybody else does to get around the law. I don't know what that is yet, but I'm sure it will exist. Do you know how many people here used to smoke weed when it was illegal? A lot. Even after they made medicinal cannabis legal in '96, doctors recommendations were difficult to come by and not very common until around 2005. Before that people were mostly using it illegaly.

Before the law took effect I would stock up. Then I would probably do whatever everybody else does to get around the law. I don't know what that is yet, but I'm sure it will exist. Do you know how many people here used to smoke weed when it was illegal? A lot. Even after they made medicinal cannabis legal in '96, doctors recommendations were difficult to come by and not very common until around 2005. Before that people were mostly using it illegaly.
    Do you think it is illegal to purchase or possess? If you had a huge stockpile could you legally vape till you die?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    None of these things matter. Not one little bit. They are completely and utterly irrelevant.

The people responsible for these shenanigans don't give a damn about any of that.

Lawmakers gonna make laws. It's what they do. It's just that simple.
    Somebody's gotta invoke the chilluns to get reelected.

Do you think it is illegal to purchase or possess? If you had a huge stockpile could you legally vape till you die?
    Pretty sure it is only going to be illegal to sell. So you could purchase it in another state or through other means.