Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USS John S. McCain collides with merchant vessel in Singapore.

The USS Fitzgerald and USS John S McCain are both ballistic missile defence (BMD) capable ships and part of the same Japan-based destroyer squadron. The Seventh Fleet has six ships assigned to BMD patrols, with half of those out on patrol at any one time.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...ast-of-9141592
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    On another note: Why are Navy ships crashing?
    I can only imagine it goes something like this:

Ensign: "Sir, what's that big blip on the radar?"

Officer: "Just a seagull son, remember your training."

*LOUD CRASH AND SCRAPING OF METAL*

Ensign: "BIG G*D DAMNED SEAGULL!"
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Only one ship, the CV USS Forrestal

Apparently that's a phony story that's been widely circulated:

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/09/mccains-plane-crashes/

A close up of McCain's hole.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post

Good to know, thanks for checking that. Still, the neocons are bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    You would think people would have more sense than to name a military vessel after the idiot who already destroyed one.
    gotta spread some rep yada yada yeah

Two ships in two months have collision when I can't remember ANY ship having a collision before this??? What's going on here? The odds are incredibly against this...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

It's on the internet, so factcheck.org must be true.
    "The Patriarch"

It's on the internet, so factcheck.org must be true.
    After all, it quotes the official court martial findings. And the court martial of the son of a powerful admiral, who would eventually have a ship named after him, couldn't possibly turn into a whitewash.

So definitely decide before you watch the films on the net, read up on 'wet starts', and look at where the fuel tanks are on an A-4.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    After all, it quotes the official court martial findings. And the court martial of the son of a powerful admiral, who would eventually have a ship named after him, couldn't possibly turn into a whitewash.

So definitely decide before you watch the films on the net, read up on 'wet starts', and look at where the fuel tanks are on an A-4.
    That would never happen in America.
    "The Patriarch"

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That would never happen in America.
    Couldn't be. A Navy court martial couldn't announce that McCain was on the catapult when official film existed clearly showing he was still on the port side aft, with his nose pointed to starboard.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

The court martial was a white wash.
    He started the fire.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 08-21-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Good to know, thanks for checking that. Still, the neocons are bad luck.
    The court martial was a white wash.
    He started the fire.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 08-21-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Only one ship, the CV USS Forrestal

But 5 planes. Fact Check had to revise their defense of him: http://www.factcheck.org/2008/09/mccains-plane-crashes/

Court Marshal

Court Martial

Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Court Marshal

Court Martial

Just sayin...
    That the bottom middle court martial is infinitely more cute....?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Two ships in two months have collision when I can't remember ANY ship having a collision before this??? What's going on here? The odds are incredibly against this...
    The iPhone generation are easing into responsibilities, and they have no clue how busy that sea is?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Court Marshal

Court Martial

Just sayin...
    I fixed it.
    I was in a hurry.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Would Wyatt Earp have cut a deal with daddy, or locked the kid up and thrown away the key?

Following the second collision of US warships in two months, the US Navy's Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) has calling for a comprehensive review of recent incidents in the Pacific in the wake of the USS John McCain collision with an oil tanker early Monday morning. In a video, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson called for an "operational pause" with commands and leaders across the fleet, and a deeper look into the training and certification of forces operating in the Navy's 7th Fleet - those in and around Japan.

#BREAKING: Statement from @CNORichardson on #USSJohnSMcCain collision. Operational pause and comprehensive reviewed directed. pic.twitter.com/OQFy0RGEAu

— U.S. Navy (@USNavy) August 21, 2017
    "I have directed fleet commanders to immediately conduct an operational pause with commands and leaders across the fleet, to ensure we are taking all appropriate immediate measures to enhance the Navy's safe and effective operation around the world.... This is the second major collision in the last three months, and is the latest in a series of major incidents, particularly in the Pacific theater," said Richardson. "This trend demands more forceful action."
    That review "will examine the process by which we train and certify our forward deployed forces in Japan to be ready for operations and war," according to Richardson. "This will include, but not be limited to, trends in operational tempo, performance, maintenance, equipment and personnel. It will also focus on surface warfare training and career development, including tactical and navigational proficiency."

According to CBS, the investigative team will be diverse, including people from across the Navy (both officer and enlisted), and experts from outside the Navy and the private sector.

Meanwhile, courtesy of Bloomberg, the historical movement of both the USS John S. McCain and the Alnic MC tanker was revealed, swowing both the path of both ships as they ultimately collided just east of Singapore.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...arship-emerges

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

From Zero Hedge:

PorscheNoSub Buckaroo Banzai Aug 21, 2017 3:44 PM
    Something is up for sure. Here is what I have run across so far just for this year in this area:

January 31: USS Antietam, Ticonderoga class (Aegis) cruiser, runs aground. In dry dock for repairs to propellers and more. Supposedly drug anchor and hit shoals when under power.
    May 9: USS Lake Champlain, Ticonderoga class (Aegis) cruiser, is in a collision with a fishing vessel.
    June 17: USS Fitzgerald, Arleigh Burke class (Aegis) destroyer, is in a collision with a container ship. Being brought back to CONUS for repairs.
    August 21: USS John S McCain, Arleigh Burke class (Aegis) destroyer, is in a collision with a tanker ship. Needs major repairs.

If we aren't being told the whole story about these, then I can see an escalation throughout the year of someone sending a message and/or testing out some new capabilities. Don't forget a whole carrier group sailed in the wrong direction for several days and with the USS John S McCain out of action I was reading the "missile defense shield" for that area is now "weakened". Additionally, they decided to send the Fitz back to the states because they would basically run out of dry docks for these repairs and regular maintenance. There are, of course, more than 4 ships in the theater, but like someone else has mentioned, we are losing some hulls rather fast. 3 out of action in 7 months.

Buckaroo Banzai EuroPox Aug 21, 2017 1:05 PM
    This is the Russians. They picked the USS John McCain to send a clear message to that useless ******: quit $#@!ing with us you ignorant tool.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

From Zero Hedge:

PorscheNoSub Buckaroo Banzai Aug 21, 2017 3:44 PM
    Something is up for sure. Here is what I have run across so far just for this year in this area:

January 31: USS Antietam, Ticonderoga class (Aegis) cruiser, runs aground. In dry dock for repairs to propellers and more. Supposedly drug anchor and hit shoals when under power.
    May 9: USS Lake Champlain, Ticonderoga class (Aegis) cruiser, is in a collision with a fishing vessel.
    June 17: USS Fitzgerald, Arleigh Burke class (Aegis) destroyer, is in a collision with a container ship. Being brought back to CONUS for repairs.
    August 21: USS John S McCain, Arleigh Burke class (Aegis) destroyer, is in a collision with a tanker ship. Needs major repairs.

If we aren't being told the whole story about these, then I can see an escalation throughout the year of someone sending a message and/or testing out some new capabilities. Don't forget a whole carrier group sailed in the wrong direction for several days and with the USS John S McCain out of action I was reading the "missile defense shield" for that area is now "weakened". Additionally, they decided to send the Fitz back to the states because they would basically run out of dry docks for these repairs and regular maintenance. There are, of course, more than 4 ships in the theater, but like someone else has mentioned, we are losing some hulls rather fast. 3 out of action in 7 months.

Buckaroo Banzai EuroPox Aug 21, 2017 1:05 PM
    This is the Russians. They picked the USS John McCain to send a clear message to that useless ******: quit $#@!ing with us you ignorant tool.
    Can't be coincidence. Must be the result of some hacking into navigation systems to make them either think they are somewhere they are not or change course without detection. Better go back to using sextant...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Can't be coincidence. Must be the result of some hacking into navigation systems to make them either think they are somewhere they are not or change course without detection. Better go back to using sextant...
    Or Air-gapped navigation and sensor computers.
    Or old fashioned electronics.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It was honestly my first reaction..
    then I checked,, to make sure it wasn't some fake story because

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    It was honestly my first reaction..
    then I checked,, to make sure it wasn't some fake story because
    haha because...
    1. you don't believe it's possible to disable a ship electronically?
    or
    2. you think it would be 'funny' if they did.

==========

BREAKING: US will pause naval operations worldwide after USS #JohnMcCain crash
    Sputnik

US to Pause Naval Operations Worldwide After USS John McCain Crash
    https://sputniknews.com/us/201708211...val-ops-pause/

Pentagon orders temporary halt to US navy operations after second collision
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ith-oil-tanker
    Last edited by goldenequity; 08-21-2017 at 10:21 PM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    haha because...
    1. you don't believe it's possible to disable a ship electronically?
    or
    2. you think it would be 'funny' if they did.
    Neither.

Option #42, Ship of Fools

Foolish on many levels,,, and damned if another ship is damaged someplace it should not be.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Or Air-gapped navigation and sensor computers.
    Or old fashioned electronics.
    This is the iPhone generation easing into responsibilities, and having no clue how busy that sea is, they probably don't take visual navigation seriously. After all, obliviousness isn't a new problem; Marines have been killed elsewhere, because their tweets logged their locations in servers. The question our military can't seem to grapple is how do they train an entitled generation of tech-dependent narcissists for vigilance and leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    This is the iPhone generation easing into responsibilities, and having no clue how busy that sea is, they probably don't take visual navigation seriously. After all, obliviousness isn't a new problem; Marines have been killed elsewhere, because their tweets logged their locations in servers. The question our military can't seem to grapple is how do they train an entitled generation of tech-dependent narcissists for vigilance and leadership.
    Ban Smart Phones on board ship (or at least while on duty) or outside of camp in Indian Country.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    BREAKING: US will pause naval operations worldwide after USS #JohnMcCain crash
    Sputnik

Pentagon orders temporary halt to US navy operations after second collision
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ith-oil-tanker

Following the second collision of US warships in two months, the US Navy's Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) has calling for a comprehensive review of recent incidents in the Pacific in the wake of the USS John McCain collision with an oil tanker early Monday morning. In a video, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson called for an "operational pause" with commands and leaders across the fleet, and a deeper look into the training and certification of forces operating in the Navy's 7th Fleet - those in and around Japan.
    #BREAKING: Statement from @CNORichardson on #USSJohnSMcCain collision. Operational pause and comprehensive reviewed directed. pic.twitter.com/OQFy0RGEAu

— U.S. Navy (@USNavy) August 21, 2017
    "I have directed fleet commanders to immediately conduct an operational pause with commands and leaders across the fleet, to ensure we are taking all appropriate immediate measures to enhance the Navy's safe and effective operation around the world.... This is the second major collision in the last three months, and is the latest in a series of major incidents, particularly in the Pacific theater," said Richardson. "This trend demands more forceful action."
    That review "will examine the process by which we train and certify our forward deployed forces in Japan to be ready for operations and war," according to Richardson. "This will include, but not be limited to, trends in operational tempo, performance, maintenance, equipment and personnel. It will also focus on surface warfare training and career development, including tactical and navigational proficiency."

According to CBS, the investigative team will be diverse, including people from across the Navy (both officer and enlisted), and experts from outside the Navy and the private sector.

Meanwhile, courtesy of Bloomberg, the historical movement of both the USS John S. McCain and the Alnic MC tanker was revealed, swowing both the path of both ships as they ultimately collided just east of Singapore.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...arship-emerges

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast