Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Americans Really Don't Like Immigration, New Survey Finds

I know very few people who oppose all immigration. Most Americans oppose Islamic immigration and illegal immigration but I don't think that many Americans oppose legal immigration.
    Stop believing stupid things

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Depends on how the question is asked. Other poll results mentioned in the OP article:

The A.T. Kearney-NPD Group survey seems to show more negativity toward immigration than other recent surveys, although it's hard to tell because each one uses its own question wording. A Pew Research Center study conducted in August through October found that 53 percent of respondents thought immigration strengthened the U.S. vs. 38 percent who thought it burdened the U.S. In a Gallup Poll in June, 34 percent of respondents favored a decrease in immigration, 25 percent favored an increase, and 40 percent favored keeping it at current levels.
    Article does not indicate how the question on this particular poll was worded.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-08-2016 at 08:38 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Has anyone estimated the percentage of felony crime illegals commit? My guess is people would be shocked how low it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    I know very few people who oppose all immigration. Most Americans oppose Islamic immigration and illegal immigration but I don't think that many Americans oppose legal immigration.
    Throw in the H1-B visa program and other shenanigans into consideration and you'll find that most Americans oppose (a lot of) legal immigration.

Big Libertarianism went nowhere this year because it not only has no solution to this problem, it refuses to even acknowledge that there IS a problem here.

It would seem the media is no longer dancing around the racial aspect. Don't kill the messenger, this graphic is from the Washington Post.. Article quote from tomorrow's NY Times below it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nd-grievances/
    Newly released data from the American National Election Study’s 2016 Pilot Study show that both white racial identity and beliefs that whites are treated unfairly are powerful predictors of support for Donald Trump in the Republican primaries:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/09/up...ates.html?_r=0
    Mr. Trump’s anti-immigration language lands with force for people who fear the browning of America. Within three or four decades, several reports have indicated, non-Hispanic whites will no longer make up a majority of the United States population.
    ■ Robert Putnam, the Harvard political scientist and author, discovered a decade ago that increased diversity in communities is correlated with distrust between and within ethnic groups. (It was perhaps not what he had hoped to find.)
    The downside of diversity
    A Harvard political scientist finds that diversity hurts civic life. What happens when a liberal scholar unearths an inconvenient truth?
    http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ide...ity/?page=full
    Putnam writes that those in more diverse communities tend to "distrust their neighbors, regardless of the color of their skin, to withdraw even from close friends, to expect the worst from their community and its leaders, to volunteer less, give less to charity and work on community projects less often, to register to vote less, to agitate for social reform more but have less faith that they can actually make a difference, and to huddle unhappily in front of the television."

"People living in ethnically diverse settings appear to 'hunker down' -- that is, to pull in like a turtle," Putnam writes.
    Last edited by kahless; 03-09-2016 at 12:10 AM.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

^^^not at all surprising

Trump's the white Al Sharpton.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    ^^^not at all surprising

Trump's the white Al Sharpton.
    Even if Trump is the white Sharpton, the point is we can dance around the immigration subject and claim it is only about crime, illegals and growing the welfare state. The articles however are showing to the people voting for Trump it is far more than that. There is anxiety about becoming a minority, being discriminated against, isolated and victimized in our own neighborhoods, competition for jobs and institutionalized discrimination.
    Last edited by kahless; 03-08-2016 at 11:11 PM.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    Has anyone estimated the percentage of felony crime illegals commit? My guess is people would be shocked how low it actually is.
    It should be zero. These people shouldn't even be here to be able to commit the crime in the first place.

Its insane that "libertarians" are putting themselves in direct opposition to the will of the people in a childish oppositional-defiant posture rather than taking the issue seriously enough to determine how it could be solved in accordance with the principles of liberty.

The will of the people is for the rampant uncontrolled immigration to stop. It's unambiguous.

If "libertarianism" can't find a solution that respects this will, or can't even agree that the problem exists, then it's not a serious governing doctrine, it's a philosophical suicide cult.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Even if Trump is the white Sharpton, the point is we can dance around the immigration subject and claim it is only about crime, illegals and growing the welfare state. The articles however are showing to the people voting for Trump it is far more than that. There is anxiety about becoming a minority, being discriminated against, isolated and victimized in our own neighborhoods, competition for jobs and institutionalized discrimination.
    Yes, that's what the voters think.

As we critics of Trump have been saying from the start, his campaign is driven by nationalism/xenophobia.

As we critics of Trump have been saying from the start, his campaign is driven by nationalism/xenophobia.
    Americans ended up with the immigration mess we are in now exactly because they were not Xenophobes. As the research shows the fear and perceptions were warranted and became a reality.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Shrinking quality of life.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    It should be zero. These people shouldn't even be here to be able to commit the crime in the first place.

Its insane that "libertarians" are putting themselves in direct opposition to the will of the people in a childish oppositional-defiant posture rather than taking the issue seriously enough to determine how it could be solved in accordance with the principles of liberty.

The will of the people is for the rampant uncontrolled immigration to stop. It's unambiguous.

If "libertarianism" can't find a solution that respects this will, or can't even agree that the problem exists, then it's not a serious governing doctrine, it's a philosophical suicide cult.
    I want to send the libertarians to Mexico and see if they can create a sizable political party there. Let's put the theories to work. Go on the street and start talking about the NAP, the dissolution of the state and self-ownership. Maybe you won't get shanked. Maybe...

Americans ended up with the immigration mess we are in now exactly because they were not Xenophobes. As the research shows the fear and perceptions were warranted and became a reality.

Americans seem to understand that America is already too full of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    What a nigtmare. From a MIC contractor of course.
    Now imagine having to endure this on a daily basis.

I live in a racially and culturally diverse neighborhood. The people who are making a success are people who learn to speak, read, and write English and start a business that has a broad appeal outside the cultural niche. Learning English is important. A Korean can speak to his Mexican neighbor and to me if they both speak English.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

My dad is a democrat, he is voting for trump in the generals. Why? Them mexicans and borders. Mainly because we live in a border state and see wtf goes on. This is a huge issue mainly because my family came from hong kong and china legally. The whole applying for visa, medical checkup, studying up for tests. And no, they were not rich.

As for me, would i vote for trump? I would like to, but i think he is bullshitting . I am for secure borders, but i dont believe he would do it. That being said, i vote for no one. Now if he did do something about it, i will vote for him in 2020. Other than that, just like in 2012, ill vote for paul.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Now imagine having to endure this on a daily basis.
    Been there, done that.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    My dad is a democrat, he is voting for trump in the generals. Why? Them mexicans and borders. Mainly because we live in a border state and see wtf goes on. This is a huge issue mainly because my family came from hong kong and china legally. The whole applying for visa, medical checkup, studying up for tests. And no, they were not rich.
    Sounds like many people I know. Then again, I know Hispanic Americans who are opposed to more immigration from Asia. But if you cross all racial boundaries and get to the common denominator, it's about over-crowding. Yeah, people like to make generalizations while just complaining or trying to be humorous, but if you get down to the real issues, it's about traffic, jobs, wages, overbuilding and lack of housing, rapid cultural changes. etc.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Throw in the H1-B visa program and other shenanigans into consideration and you'll find that most Americans oppose (a lot of) legal immigration.

Big Libertarianism went nowhere this year because it not only has no solution to this problem, it refuses to even acknowledge that there IS a problem here.
    "Big Libertarianism."

Trump's supporters are the reverse of SJWs, while an SJW will talk about "white privilege" a Trump supporter will talk about how everything is a conspiracy against whites.
    Stop believing stupid things

Sounds like many people I know. Then again, I know Hispanic Americans who are opposed to more immigration from Asia. But if you cross all racial boundaries and get to the common denominator, it's about over-crowding. Yeah, people like to make generalizations while just complaining or trying to be humorous, but if you get down to the real issues, it's about traffic, jobs, wages, overbuilding and lack of housing, rapid cultural changes. etc.
    Natural resource limits are also an issue. California welcomed Mexican immigration and that massively swelled its population, leading to a major water crisis. Thanks to immigration, Californians get water rationing and all the nanny statism involved in enforcing it.

Trump's supporters are the reverse of SJWs, while an SJW will talk about "white privilege" a Trump supporter will talk about how everything is a conspiracy against whites.
    There is an open, loud conspiracy against whites, and against men. "Diversity", "Affirmative Action", "White Privilege", etc. these things have long infected corporate and government policies alike, with explicit discrimination against whites and against men.

It's patently unjust any way you slice it, and this is a legitimate grievance, different in every respect from the fantasy nonsense that the SJWs come up with.

Obviously, you know other people. That does not mean that the people who oppose all immigration do not exist, nor does it indicate the actual numbers. And most polls are biased, so even those generally don't give accurate numbers.

Natural resource limits are also an issue. California welcomed Mexican immigration and that massively swelled its population, leading to a major water crisis. Thanks to immigration, Californians get water rationing and all the nanny statism involved in enforcing it.
    Yep. Water crisis. Lack of land crisis. Pollution crisis. And some people like to go on about excess CO2 created by all of these people.

The country should have never let any Europeans in. Look at the mess they made.

Sure, you can blame immigrants if you like but it is the white Europeans who rule the government and business which caused all the messes. (and they were immigrants once too).

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    +Rep! You nailed it. Plus world resource consumption percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Shrinking quality of life.
    ...which they mistakenly blame on immigration.

They should be blaming their government's interventionist economic policies which are destroying trillions of dollars worth of output each year.

As the research shows the fear and perceptions were warranted
    Not at all.

The people don't understand why the economy is the way is it, so they blame the foreigners.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 03-09-2016 at 01:30 PM.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb...forum-20120201

Ron Paul says Latinos have become 'scapegoats'

Immigration, however, was another story.

The 12-term Texas congressman spent the better part of a 25-minute address thinking aloud about the thorny subject. He talked about how Americans are more accepting of outsiders when the economy is good, but when trouble looms there is a search for scapegoats.

"I believe Hispanics have been used as scapegoats, to say, they're the problem instead of being a symptom maybe of a problem with the welfare state," Paul told the group. "In Nazi Germany they had to have scapegoats to blame and they turned on the Jews.

"Now there's a lot of antagonism and resentment turned just automatically on immigrants," he continued. "You say, no not immigrants, it's just illegal immigrants. I do believe in legal immigration. I want to have a provision to obey those laws. You have to understand this in the context of the economy."

Paul said he's not one of those politicians who believes that "barbed-wire fences and guns on our border will solve any of our problems." That's not, he said, the American way. And he doesn't think that a national identification card is the way to go.

What the country does need, he said, is "a much better immigration service" fed by more resources. Not that he'd "vote for extra money." But he does, he told the crowd, have a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb...forum-20120201

Ron Paul says Latinos have become 'scapegoats'
    Says the guy who wants to scapegoat Anglos and provide fuel for Kahless.

Ron Paul is right. It's not about one group or another.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast