Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should minors be allowed to marry in California?

Should minors be allowed to marry in California?

Should minors be allowed to marry in California?
    By Robin Opsahl

Under 18 and want to get hitched? In California, you need signed permission from a single parent or legal guardian, an interview and approval from the court.

Soon, you might need to wait until 18 no matter who signs off, making California the only state in the nation with an absolute ban on under-18 marriage.

Sen. Jerry Hill, D-San Mateo, said he is introducing the bill Friday in hopes of protecting all minors, and protecting women’s rights.

“While we respect all cultures and faiths, we cannot support practices that rob youth of their childhood,” Hill said. “It affects young children, yes, but I wouldn’t consider teenagers to be prepared for marriage when they’re 15 to 17 either.”
    Hill said he wrote the bill after he was contacted by Aliesa Bahri, a 16-year-old constituent. Bahri said she became aware of the issue after hearing about a 12-year-old girl who was engaged to be married in the Silicon Valley area. After investigating the laws and finding that there are no laws prohibiting child marriages, she contacted Hill.

“One, arranged child marriages are immoral. Second, even childhood marriages that are not arranged face worse living conditions and usually end up in divorce anyways,” Bahri said. “Kids don’t have the maturity at that young of an age to make that commitment.” Hill said he chose age 18 because it is the age of consent for other issues, including military service.
    More: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...139043688.html
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Los Angeles, CA

If the Libtards legalized sodomites, so they surely legalize pedophilia. So underage marriage will be a norm at age 9. The Last Days ! End of America !

How is this law on the books in US of A in 2017?

Not even sure what constitutes a minor in our modern world.

14 yr olds used to run the farm, raise families, and take care of their parents, back in the pilgrim & pioneer days.

Today's kids haven't been allowed to become mature enough to even balance a checkbook, so our "culture" has definitely changed.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Not even sure what constitutes a minor in our modern world.

14 yr olds used to run the farm, raise families, and take care of their parents, back in the pilgrim & pioneer days.

Today's kids haven't been allowed to become mature enough to even balance a checkbook, so our "culture" has definitely changed.
    I was paying taxes @ 15.
    Do something Danke

There should be no age limit for marriage in California.
    Do something Danke

Los Angeles, CA

Cali is insane and sick commie fecal hole.

Miners should be allowed to marry in Ca.

Minors too if BOTH parents of BOTH bride and groom agree.....

$#@! a bunch of single parent BS!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I was paying taxes @ 15.
    12 or 13,, as I remember. Had to get a SSN.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
    If the Libtards legalized sodomites, so they surely legalize pedophilia. So underage marriage will be a norm at age 9. The Last Days ! End of America !
    What was anyone here expecting the Libtards support Muslims to.

How did you get underage marriage out of the article?
    Soon, you might need to wait until 18 no matter who signs off, making California the only state in the nation with an absolute ban on under-18 marriage.
    The proposed bill prohibits "under age" 18 .. regardless of individual cases.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Los Angeles, CA

No one under 18 has rights for marriage, even with parental consent. There are countries in the world where marital age is still 21, due to twenty-one is the age of majority there. We respect their laws, because these laws correlated with legal adult age.

No one under 18 has rights for marriage, even with parental consent.
    according to who?

and what makes that magical number special?
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    And if the bride and groom agree. Maybe you all are not aware that there are sects that arrange marriages with minors, and the bride usually has no say in the matter.

(not picking on you Tod, just using your post to point out that not all marriages are consentual )
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Miners should be allowed to marry in Ca.

$#@! a bunch of single parent BS!
    Now that's more the relevant issue, isn't it? It makes teen marriage illegal, thus encouraging single mothers or abortion. The traditional "shotgun marriage" of pregnant teens (not children) will be banned. Even better if the father is 18 or over. Instead of a family, you can have a single mother on welfare and put the dude in jail. Taxpayers can take care of them all.

And how did this all come about?

Hill said he wrote the bill after he was contacted by Aliesa Bahri, a 16-year-old constituent. Bahri said she became aware of the issue after hearing about a 12-year-old girl who was engaged to be married in the Silicon Valley area.
    Ah, the arranged marriage tradition, imported to the US.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    And if the bride and groom agree. Maybe you all are not aware that there are sects that arrange marriages with minors, and the bride usually has no say in the matter.

(not picking on you Tod, just using your post to point out that not all marriages are consentual )
    Maybe if both families are 3rd generation Americans?

I can't see such insanity as 'arranged marriages' surviving three generations of burgers and h o m o s........

Then again we're talking 'bout the land of fruits-n-nuts....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post

That's a problem for Utah and Nevada...

The answers in this thread are a prime examples of kneejerk polarizing posts. Obviously it was a liberal democrat introducing a law against muslim traditions on arranged underage marriage yet people are snarling against the loony left in California? Obviously nothing is discussed as a issue anymore. Trump's leadership destroyed logical discourse in a lot of people.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Cali is insane and sick commie fecal hole.

so, what you're saying is, cali has crazy communist $#@!s amirite?

Shouldn't the question be shall the government be allowed to regulate marriage?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Absolutely.

The state has no business in marriage.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    Obviously it was a liberal democrat introducing a law against muslim traditions on arranged underage marriage yet people are snarling against the loony left in California?
    Obviously. With apparently no thought put into unintended consequences.

The answers in this thread are a prime examples of kneejerk polarizing posts...Trump's leadership destroyed logical discourse in a lot of people.
    You'll have to be more specific.

I would guess that question has never entered the head of the legislator involved.

How bout getting the State out of marriage entirely?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I would guess that question has never entered the head of the legislator involved.
    I'm sure you're right.
    "The Patriarch"

I was paying taxes @ 15.
    ditto

+rep

Quote Originally Posted by merkelstan View Post
    How bout getting the State out of marriage entirely?
    +rep

age discrimination.. isn't that illegal too?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

But seeing how its from California i shouldn't be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Ah, the arranged marriage tradition, imported to the US.
    According to a 16 yr old that "heard" about it.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I was paying taxes @ 15.
    Is there a statute of limitation on statutory rape?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Maybe if both families are 3rd generation Americans?

I can't see such insanity as 'arranged marriages' surviving three generations of burgers and h o m o s........

Then again we're talking 'bout the land of fruits-n-nuts....
    There are sects of LDS who arrange marriages with minors. Warren Jeffs is in jail for it. There are also what are called "spring break brides" who ar forced to fly overseas to marry so their much older husband can come into the US. Look it up. It's a form of human trafficking.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast