Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Snakes!

The other day, there was a bear in front of the house.

A week or so ago, while Mrs. AF was watering in the greenhouse, she mistook a "Smooth Green" snake for the green springy water hose and grabbed the snake off a bean planter.

Why am I never around when these things happen???
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 07-15-2018 at 10:07 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I figured @Suzanimal would have chimed in by now.
    I've comeback and looked at that thing several times and I have no words. HELL. $#@!ING. NO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

A week or so ago, while Mrs. AF was watering in the greenhouse, she mistook the green springy hose for a "Smooth Green" snake and grabbed it off a bean planter.

I'd move. Hell, I almost started packing when I thought I saw a big snake sunning itself on the edge of one of my raised beds. I made Mr A go look at it whilst I watched from my bathroom window and yelled at him. He pretended he was petting the "snake" and I almost started crying. Turns out, it wasn't a big ass snake. I was rearranging the soaker hose and left part of it on the edge of the bed. He was awfully proud of himself for getting me that upset.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

A week or so ago, while Mrs. AF was watering in the greenhouse, she mistook the green springy hose for a "Smooth Green" snake and grabbed it off a bean planter.

She grabbed what she thought was a snake? Mad props.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'd move. Hell, I almost started packing when I thought I saw a big snake sunning itself on the edge of one of my raised beds. I made Mr A go look at it whilst I watched from my bathroom window and yelled at him. He pretended he was petting the "snake" and I almost started crying. Turns out, it wasn't a big ass snake. I was rearranging the soaker hose and left part of it on the edge of the bed. He was awfully proud of himself for getting me that upset.
    See, this is just what I'm talking about...perfect opportunities missed, again.

Although I was around when the bat got in the house...took care of that tout court.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    She grabbed what she thought was a snake? Mad props.
    LOL...poor writing on my part...she grabbed what she thought was a hose.

Nearly 3-foot pregnant copperhead killed in Cherokee County

CHEROKEE COUNTY, Ga. - The owner of a tree service in Cherokee County found a very unwelcome surprise when he went to remove a pile of logs.

Amber Barnhart and her husband, Chase Curtis, own C & C Tree Service in Canton.

[RELATED: 6 venomous snakes to watch out for in Georgia]

Barnhart says an employee was loading trucks on the behind their home in Macedonia when two copperheads came out. One of the snakes was nearly three feet long.

With their 7-year-old daughter and other family members nearby, they made the decision to kill the snakes. They were able to get one and tried to run over the second, but it escaped and went back under the woodpiles.

Barnhart says Curtis and one of their employees skinned the snake they caught and measured it, recording a length of 32 inches and discovering that the pregnant female was carrying nine eggs.

She said they didn't give a second though to the decision to kill the snake because of the number of families and children who live in the area.
    https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/che...m_content=news

BIG snake...

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

I don't see any snakes in my neck of the woods.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

@Suzanimal

‘Look down before you sit down’: Virginia man finds ball python in toilet

https://fox2now.com/2018/07/20/look-...hon-in-toilet/

POSTED 8:23 PM, JULY 20, 2018, BY TRIBUNE MEDIA

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - A Virginia man was shocked to look at his toilet and see a python staring back at him Thursday night.

James Hooper thought it was a prank when he looked down the hall and saw the reptile, according to WTKR.

It wasn't.

"When I saw the tongue of the snake, I was like, 'wow,'" he said. "We've had snakes in the yard, but not in the toilet."

Hooper says he called his roommate, Kenny Spruill, into the house and, not knowing if the snake was venomous or not, they tied a noose to the end of a fishing pole, fished it out and put it into a bucket outside.

"I couldn't believe it. I was all freaked out at the time. I was like, 'this is not normal,'" said Spruill.

Next, they called a Virginia Beach Animal Control officer, who thought it was a prank, but came out to check.

"I don't recall ever having a call or hearing of one for a snake that was actually found in the toilet," said Rebecca Franklin, Virginia Beach Animal Control Supervisor. "(It) is one of those things where you think, 'it can't actually happen', but now it has."

The Animal Control officer came and retrieved the snake, Hooper said, but not before taking a few pictures with themselves and the snake first.

Franklin told WTKR that Hooper and Spruill did everything right in this case, but even if they left the snake in the toilet, the Animal Control officer would've gotten it out.

Turns out the snake is a harmless, domesticated ball python, Franklin said, and she believes it followed food into the house before settling in the toilet.

"It's what's called a 'pastel pied,' so it has white on its body as well. It's a lighter color," said Franklin. "Nothing that's a wild snake here looks anything like what this snake looks like."

According to Franklin, the snake's owners picked it up Friday morning. They told Animal Control it had been missing for two weeks until they saw a Facebook post from Hooper.

Hooper says he's happy the snake is back with its owners. He also says there's a new rule around their house.

"Look down before you sit down."

EWWW...toilet snake.

My kids found a baby snake in the pool today. They weren't going to tell me but Mr A made them. I'm not gonna lie, it's going to be hard to relax in there.

I just started thinking about what would happen if I found one in the toilet. That would probably put an end to my Sudukooies.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    RATTLED! Horror moment US pastor is bitten by a deadly snake during a service leaving him drenched in blood

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/704014...ched-in-blood/

Cody Coots is the head of a Kentucky church where worshippers handle snakes and drink poison to prove their devotion to God
    WARNING
    By Jay Akbar
    17th August 2018, 3:49 pmUpdated: 17th August 2018, 4:31 pm

Cody's father Jamie, 42, was killed when a rattlesnake bit him in a similar ritual back in 2014 but that does not put him off performing the same death-defying service.

After he was bitten and collapsed on the ground, Cody asked to be taken to the mountaintop where God would judge whether he should live or die.

But his friend, also named Cody, instead drove him to the hospital where a doctor said the snake came close to severing his temporal artery which would have killed him.

Cody's friend said: "Most people bit in the face are dead in five, ten minutes. I mean, his own daddy got bit in the hand and within seven minutes was dead."

After he was bitten and collapsed on the ground, Cody asked to be taken to the mountaintop where God would judge whether he should live or die.

But his friend, also named Cody, instead drove him to the hospital
    Cody, take Cody to the mountain top next time.

What started out as a straightforward genetic study of Florida’s invasive python population has turned up a surprising plot twist: a small number of crossbred Burmese and Indian pythons with the potential to become a kind of Everglades super snake.
    For the study, published Sunday in the journal Ecology and Evolution, U.S. Geological Survey researchers examined the tail tissue of 400 snakes captured in South Florida, from the Big Cypress Swamp to the Everglades. While the vast majority appeared to be closely related Burmese pythons — imagine a family reunion packed with first and second cousins — 13 had genetic markers from Indian pythons, a subspecies that unlike the swamp-loving Burmese snake prefers high, dry ground.
    The number is clearly small, but it raises the risk that over time some Everglades snakes could become better suited to a more varied landscape. Scientists call it hybrid vigor.

“If the Indian pythons have a wider range, perhaps these Everglades snakes now have that capability,” said lead author and USGS geneticist Margaret Hunter. “It’s quite interesting and quite surprising, but we don’t know the extent it’s in the population.”

More at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...217109205.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567